Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:18 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Uncut Batman Animated movies
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:06 am 
Corporate Spin Monkey

Hi, I'm looking to update my dvd collection and want to pick up Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker and Batman: Mask of the Phantasm. But have heard that there are different cuts of each of these movies. I want the uncensored versions, ( I remember owing the Phantasm movie on vhs and that was edited over here in the UK, so want the unedited version now on DVD).

Anyone able to post links to what versions I should buy? I'll be buying them as imports from the states so whatever versions you guys have I want to know about, as those are the ones I'll want.

Thanks,

E8B

Post subject: Re: Uncut Batman Animated movies
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:21 am 
Loose, Missing Package

elvis8batman wrote:
Hi, I'm looking to update my dvd collection and want to pick up Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker and Batman: Mask of the Phantasm. But have heard that there are different cuts of each of these movies. I want the uncensored versions, ( I remember owing the Phantasm movie on vhs and that was edited over here in the UK, so want the unedited version now on DVD).

Anyone able to post links to what versions I should buy? I'll be buying them as imports from the states so whatever versions you guys have I want to know about, as those are the ones I'll want.

Info from Amazon reviews that should help you...

Only one Blu-Ray for ROTJ:

Quote:
A Review to Clear Up The Misconceptions About The Bluray Release
April 6, 2011
By Brandon

Format:Blu-ray|Amazon Verified Purchase

This review is not for the actual movie, suffice it to say it is one of the best products to come out of the DCAU. Rather this review is to clear up the misconceptions caused by other reviewers on this site. I own all 3 currently available versions of ROTJ: the edited DVD, the unedited DVD, and this bluray release. Now to make this perfectly clear, here's what you need to know.

1) The bluray version is UNEDITED. It contains all the scenes removed from the edited version including both shootings and all blood that was removed from the original release.

2) The bluray version is full frame because that is how the movie was originally animated. If you want widescreen use the zoom feature on your TV or bluray player and you'll have the exact widescreen animation as the previous unedited release. The issue is that the movie was originally animated for television, so it was animated 4:3. However the producers thought ahead to the rise of widescreen TVs so they blocked the animation to work in widescreen as well. When you zoom the picture on the 4:3 to fill a 16:9 screen with whatever function your TV has for "widescreen fit" or "fit zoom" or "smart zoom" you are not losing any actual animation, you're just removing extra space above and below the frame the animators originally included for TV broadcast. Again, IF YOU ZOOM IN IT'S THE EXACT SAME PICTURE AS YOU'D HAVE ON THE ORIGINAL WIDESCREEN RELEASE.

3) This is a true 1080p HD transfer, no upscaling. WB did an absolutely brilliant job and the movie has never looked better.

As for Mask of the Phantasm, Amazon doesn't have a Blu-Ray listed. As for the editing, I could be wrong on this but I think the differences are only between the theatrical version and all the home releases. If I'm remembering right, the animation was rushed to meet the Christmas Day release date and some animation was re-shot for the video releases the clean it up and fix minor mistakes.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:54 am 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

Other than a
Spoiler: show
a few seconds of Joker electrocuting himself
what else was left out of the edited Return of the Joker? Trying to figure out if it's worth the upgrade.

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:33 am 
Loose, Missing Package

Shellhead wrote:
Other than a
Spoiler: show
a few seconds of Joker electrocuting himself
what else was left out of the edited Return of the Joker? Trying to figure out if it's worth the upgrade.

Quite a bit was changed... Bonk didn't die, they cut quite a bit of Robin's torture, Batgirl's informants went from a couple of hookers to a yuppie couple. That's all I can remember off the top of my head, but I know that there was more.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:29 am 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

In your opinion, Jim, is the Bluray worth the upgrade from the edited standard DVD?

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:39 am 
Still ahead of Mudd

Well when I picked mine up it was only 8 Bucks-- so that was a no brainer to me.. But Im also a Animation junkie..

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:28 pm 
Corporate Spin Monkey

Thanks Jim, I can remember that on my MOTP vhs there appeared to be a bit cut out from the scene where bruce first goes out to take on some thieves before he gets the costume. I think it was because one of the thugs used nun chukkas and there was an issue about them being shown in cartoons over here at the time.

Looks like I'll be getting the Blue Ray version then if its uncensored.

Cheers guys. :D

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:06 am 
Loose, Missing Package

Shellhead wrote:
In your opinion, Jim, is the Bluray worth the upgrade from the edited standard DVD?

I still have an old tube TV so I'm not going to see much of a difference at home. The few WP Blu-Rays I've got (I take 'em and watch with my dad on their set up) the difference between the DVDs and Blus are well worth it. Look for a bargin if you must, but I'd say so... And if you don't have the edited version, I'd grab that, too, the changes weren't necessarily for the best, but it is interesting to watch for the differences.

(on a side-note, I'm a big supporter of the idea of using Blu-Ray to the full potential and making every edit available on one disc... TV, airline, theatrical, director, uncut, etc)