Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:41 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Marvel-Disney-Netflix Deal Announced!!!
PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:13 am 
too much stick, not enough carrot

YES!!!!! Courtesy of Newsarama

http://www.newsarama.com/19503-daredevi ... -deal.html

Quote:
Marvel TV just got a whole lot more interesting. Announced on Marvel.com Thursday morning, Marvel TV is teaming up with Netflix for an unprecedented deal: four live-action TV series, plus a mini-series "programming event."

The companies will team on four thirteen-episode series, plus one mini-series. The four series are Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Iron Fist, and Luke Cage, culminating in an Avengers-style team-up mini-series called The Defenders.

The series will take place in New York's Hell's Kitchen, long the home of Daredevil and other "street-level" characters that the press release cals "flawed heroes." It also notes that the deal is for a "minimum" (emphasis ours) of four series and a mini-series, leaving the door open for more if any/all of them take off.

Marvel Television and ABC Television Studios are producing the shows.

"This deal is unparalleled in its scope and size, and reinforces our commitment to deliver Marvel's brand, content and characters across all platforms of storytelling. Netflix offers an incredible platform for the kind of rich storytelling that is Marvel’s specialty," said Alan Fine, President of Marvel Entertainment in the press release. "This serialized epic expands the narrative possibilities of on-demand television and gives fans the flexibility to immerse themselves how and when they want in what's sure to be a thrilling and engaging adventure."

Netflix Chief Content Officer Ted Sarandos added, "We're thrilled to be working with Disney and Marvel to take our brand of television to new levels with a creative project of this magnitude."

The series will begin in 2015. In 2016, Netflix will become the exclusive US subscription service for first-run, live-action, and animated movies from all branches of Walt Disney Studios: Disney, Disney Animation Studios, Pixar, Marvel Studios, Disneynature, and Lucasfilm.

Marvel Studios received the rights to Daredevil back from Fox late 2012, something that went unconfirmed until president Kevin Feige told Newsarama as a certainty in the Spring of 2013. They have been coy about plans for the character until now. The Avengers approach of giving characters solo starring roles then teaming them together has never before been attempted in any serialized video medium - but then, it hadn't been done before in film either, and resulted in Marvel Studios having back-to-back billion dollar plus films, and carrying the records for the #1 and #2 best opening weekends in film history.

Netflix opened the door to exclusive television programming when they produced House of Cards, a Kevin Spacey-led political drama based off the series of the same name from the UK. They also teamed up to produce and distribute a new season of Arrested Development, reviving the fan-favorite series after several years off the air, and have since launched several other series exclusive to their service. The seasons, so far, have been released in full on their launch date, meaning people can then "binge watch," marathoning all thirteen episodes - often in one sitting. No word on whether this distribution model will be followed for these five series, nor is there a publicly released plan for how the series will be spread out.

DC/WB is all like "Wonder Woman's too confusing for a movie!" and Marvel/Disney is all like "Here's a raccoon with a machine gun".

Post subject: Re: Marvel-Disney-Netflix Deal Announced!!!
PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:58 am 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

I KNEW Daredevil would be one of the first to get TV treatment.

But CRAP! Now I have to get Netflix?

How long is it before they purge the rolls so I can get my free one month trial again? I blew my last one when Arrested Development came out! :lol:

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:24 am 
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing

I think it loops every 4-6 months but my account is still active so I'm not positive.

I know HuluPlus is just over 4 months though ....

Couldn't have said it better myself.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:46 am 
too much stick, not enough carrot

I'm really excited about this. I think they've picked the right characters, and really look forward to the team up series.

DC/WB is all like "Wonder Woman's too confusing for a movie!" and Marvel/Disney is all like "Here's a raccoon with a machine gun".

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:31 am 
'The Barf' does not annoy him

I really like this announcement, save for the fact that it's on Netflix. I don't care for Netflix.

I had it for a trial run, and every film I wanted to see was unavailable. But hey, I could always watch 'The Heavenly Kid' and every other film that HBO and Cinemax showed on a daily basis twenty years ago.

My other problem is the whole streaming thing. I'd MUCH rather pop a DVD into my player at home. When I watch TV, I do it on an actual TV. Do you think that these new Marvel series will be steaming only, or will they also be available as through the mail DVDs?

And yes, I said DVD...I won't hop aboard the Blu-Ray bandwagon yet.

'...because the minute a little girl is trampled by 100 teenage girls trying to get to Justin Beiber at the Tea Cups, you will be wondering why the hell we make poor Justin Beiber stand in a 30 minute line and create an unsafe atmosphere.'

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:52 am 

I fear DVD's won't be around much longer.
I'm a late adaptor as well, but I did get a BluRay last year. For comedies and dramas, it doesn't do much. But MAN, do special effects driven films pop on Bluray!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:05 am 
willing to display nerd-rage meltdown for custom subnic

My wife texted me this earlier today. I'm definitely excited about it. Just not that it's on Netflix. Oh well. I'll just have to jump on board I guess.

I don't fail, I just succeed at finding ways that don't work.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:16 pm 
there were horses, and a man on fire, and I killed a guy with a trident

Shellhead wrote:
I'm a late adaptor as well, but I did get a BluRay last year. For comedies and dramas, it doesn't do much. But MAN, do special effects driven films pop on Bluray!

DVDs aren't going anywhere. There are a ton of early television programs that weren't made in high definition (I'm specifically thinking of live broadcasts and sitcoms on videotape) and will NEVER be released on Blu-Ray. I would never have bought my Blu-Ray player if it wasn't backwards compatible for DVDs. They did that for a reason: because they knew some popular TV shows and movies would never get a Blu-Ray release.

"I knew we'd made a mistake the minute I saw that little bologna loaf in the hospital bassinet." - Calvin's Dad.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:32 pm 
5" Scale

Exciting news. As a subscriber I'm excited and suggest you check them out again Howard :wink: The quality has really improved since we originally signed up a few years ago. I believe House of Cards was or has been released on disc? So I'm sure if this pulls in the ratings it will too. Anyway, we have both the BD rental and streaming. I like to rent to gauge what is worth keeping in the family library. As far as whether disc, DVD's has an expiration date? This seems to be something they debate on the bluray forum I belong to. It causes a bit a heat, since most prefer their physical media over streaming. I'm a little in the middle of the road myself. I like both, since I don't need every show or movie I watch periodically. Between the 3 services I have someone always has something for me to watch when it drops off the other. Given that some older shows are being streamed I have no doubt some, if not most, will eventually get some sort of treatment to take them to the next level. Something I've learned from collecting over the years is to never say never.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:17 pm 

Fone Bone wrote:
Shellhead wrote:

DVDs aren't going anywhere. There are a ton of early television programs that weren't made in high definition (I'm specifically thinking of live broadcasts and sitcoms on videotape) and will NEVER be released on Blu-Ray. I would never have bought my Blu-Ray player if it wasn't backwards compatible for DVDs. They did that for a reason: because they knew some popular TV shows and movies would never get a Blu-Ray release.

Oh, yes. Correct. But the number of DVD's being released going forward has already diminished greatly and will continue to decline in the next few years until it dries up. How many stores even have a DVD section anymore? My Walmarts and Targets are mostly BluRays now.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:46 pm 
there were horses, and a man on fire, and I killed a guy with a trident

Shellhead wrote:
Oh, yes. Correct. But the number of DVD's being released going forward has already diminished greatly and will continue to decline in the next few years until it dries up. How many stores even have a DVD section anymore? My Walmarts and Targets are mostly BluRays now.

My Target DVD / Blu-Ray ratio is about even (mostly due to the huge kids section) but my Wal-Mart has significantly more DVDs than Blu-Rays. It's a little bit surprising to be honest.

Plus, there will be new classic Doctor Who fans born every year so DVDs will need to survive just for that! :P

"I knew we'd made a mistake the minute I saw that little bologna loaf in the hospital bassinet." - Calvin's Dad.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:10 pm 
Aspires to be #1

1. DVDs and Bluray will both die eventually. Digital downloads and streaming will take over when bandwidth catches up

2. I'm on my 4th straight month of free netflix. Learn how to beat the system people haha.

3. I don't care about any of the shows but I'm really excited about them because Netflix got the deal. Any type of major blow that can be dealt to our current tv programming ridiculousness is a win in my book.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:44 pm 

Okay, I will bite. How did you pull off four months in a row?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:51 pm 
Aspires to be #1

Shellhead wrote:
Okay, I will bite. How did you pull off four months in a row?

Honestly it was by accident that I figured this out but if you change the way you say that you're going to pay, they treat it as a new trial. The first time I signed up through my Apple TV which runs through iTunes really. Second time I used my credit card. Third time I used my debit card and this last time I used paypal. The only way we could do it again would be to start using my wife's cards/paypal but we could get another 3 months doing that.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:57 am 
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing

In theory you could set up a a whole slew of Pre-paid cards just for this purpose and if you rotated them correctly, ... infinite free Netflix.

I, personally, don't have the time or patience to deal with setting something like that up, and I don't really think the $7.99 I am paying is that big a deal, so ... I'll just continue to be a "sucker".

Couldn't have said it better myself.