It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:09 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Flash Gordon Movie
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 8:02 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Breck Eisner to Direct Flash Gordon

Source: superherohype.com

May 20, 2008

Sony's Columbia Pictures is in early talks to acquire the film rights for a big-screen adaptation of Flash Gordon that Breck Eisner would direct and Neal Moritz would produce. Eisner would also executive produce, says The Hollywood Reporter. The trade says:

"Flash" was originally a science fiction newspaper comic strip drawn by Alex Raymond in the 1930s and was created to compete with another sci-fi strip, "Buck Rogers." The strip was first adapted to the screen via Buster Crabbe serials and made into a lavish 1980 film starring Sam Jones but remembered more for its Queen score.

Flash was a sports player who travels to the planet Mongo with his lady love, Dale Arden, and the mad scientist Dr. Hans Zarkov. There, they discover a world ruled by Ming the Merciless and meet strange inhabitants such as the Hawkmen and the Sharkmen.

There are no writers on board the project yet.

Mike
( 8) )

Post subject: Re: Flash Gordon Movie
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:47 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Breck Eisner Talks Flash Gordon

by SuperHeroHype

Jul 19th, 2010

"It will be an origins story for Flash"

Airlock Alpha got a chance to talk to The Crazies director Breck Eisner about bringing Flash Gordon to the big screen. Flash Gordon originally appeared as a sci-fi newspaper comic strip created and drawn by Alex Raymond in the 1930s. The strip was first adapted to the screen via Buster Crabbe serials and made into a lavish 1980 film starring Sam Jones but remembered more for its Queen score.

"Our version goes back to strips from '30s and we will update those and shoot the movie as if the strips were drawn today. It will be an action and adventure sci-fi," Eisner told the site.

The helmer added that they are eyeing the property as a franchise. "It will be a standalone story, it definitely won't [be] left open for more, but the ultimate goal is to turn it into a franchise. It will be an origins story for Flash. He's going to Mongo, he's gonna save the planet and it will have a superhero buy in and will be unique. It is very much a superhero origins story."

You can check out the full interview here!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:01 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Flash Gordon is Headed Back to the Big Screen!

SuperHeroHype

Apr 22, 2014

The comic strip science fiction hero Flash Gordon is heading back to the big screen! The Hollywood Reporter today brings word that 20th Century Fox has secured the big screen rights to the character, who celebrates his 80th anniversary this year.

Patrick McKay and J.D. Payne (who are, alongside Roberto Orci, writing the next Star Trek feature film as well) will draft Flash Gordon, based on an outline by The Adjustment Bureau writer/director George Nolfi. There is no word yet on whether not Nolfi may be looking to direct.

Created by Alex Raymond in 1934, Flash Gordon began life a serialized comic strip, following the intergalactic adventures of the titular hero, his fellow adventurer and love interest, Dale Arden, and brilliant scientist Dr. Hans Zarkov. Together, the trio explore fantastic interplanetary locales like Mongo, home of the devilish Ming the Merciless.

Tremendously popular in the late 1930s as trio of big screen serials, Flash Gordon has since been adapted for both the big and small screen in a variety of different forms. Director Mike Hodges' feature film (which boasted a soundtrack by Queen) failed to impress at the box office in 1980, but has since emerged as genuine cult classic. That film's star, Sam J. Jones, played homage to the character in Seth MacFarlane's 2012 comedy Ted.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:43 am 
too much stick, not enough carrot

Like Ghostbusters 3, I'll believe it when I see it. :)

DC/WB is all like "Wonder Woman's too confusing for a movie!" and Marvel/Disney is all like "Here's a raccoon with a machine gun".

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:08 am 
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing

I don't know if I can get behind this.

I mean, without Brian Blessed in a birdman costume and a Queen soundtrack blaring ... it just wouldn't be the same....

Couldn't have said it better myself.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:13 am 
too much stick, not enough carrot

And a cheesy drunken bed scene with a leering, groping Max Von Sydow... don't forget that. It won't work I tell ya! :D

DC/WB is all like "Wonder Woman's too confusing for a movie!" and Marvel/Disney is all like "Here's a raccoon with a machine gun".

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:13 pm 
Santos L. Halper

bnjmnrlyr wrote:
I don't know if I can get behind this.

I mean, without Brian Blessed in a birdman costume and a Queen soundtrack blaring ... it just wouldn't be the same....

That's what I'm saying!

Flash a-ah
He'll save every one of us!!