It is currently Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:03 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Finding Dory
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:25 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Andrew Stanton Returns for a Finding Nemo Sequel

Source: ComingSoon

July 17, 2012

Marlin, Dory and Nemo are getting ready for another big screen adventure as Deadline reports that the original Finding Nemo's writer and director, Andrew Stanton, is set to return for a sequel based on his own original concept.

Stanton, who earlier this year directed Disney's John Carter, has up until very recently, been quite reluctant to return to the underwater world of his 2003 film.

"[A sequel has] always kind of put a bad taste in my mouth," Stanton told ComingSoon.net earlier this year, "because I never planned for that... We have said this at Pixar now. We've kind of come to terms with it. We're not against a sequel being made as long as it's a story we love so much that we'd be dying just to make it, so we're just waiting for stories to tell us if it's worthy of doing. Right now, I've never been able to think of anything beyond what 'Nemo' was on its own."

Whatever the idea is that changed his mind, the Nemo sequel will follow in the footsteps of Pixar sequels like Toy Story 2, Toy Story 3, Cars 2 and the upcoming prequel Monsters University. The studio's original slate, meanwhile, is targeting Bob Peterson's The Good Dinosaur for May 30, 2014 and Pete Docter's still-untitled project for June 19, 2015. Lee Unkrich is also working on a Dia de los Muertos-themed film for an unspecified future date as well.

The original Finding Nemo is also set for a return to theaters in 3D on September 14th of this year.

UPDATE: The Hollywood Reporter is now bringing word that newcomer Victoria Strouse is writing the screenplay with Lyndsey Collins producing for a potential 2016 release.

Post subject: Re: Finding Nemo Sequel
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:15 am 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Post subject: Re: Finding Dory
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:43 am 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Click on the thumbnail for a bigger pic!

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 9:36 am 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:37 am 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Finding Dory Sets Thursday Previews Record for an Animated Film

By ComingSoon

June 17, 2016

Disney•Pixar‘s Finding Dory has set a new Thursday previews record for an animated film! The sequel opened with an impressive $9.2 million for the evening ahead of the previous biggest animated starts from Minions ($6.2 million), Despicable Me 2 ($4.7 million), Toy Story 3 ($4.0 million) and Inside Out ($3.7 million), and it’s more than double Disney’s recent success, The Jungle Book ($4.2 million). It’s also looking like Finding Dory is well on its way to breaking the opening record for an animated film, which is still held by 2007’s Shrek the Third ($121.6 million).

Finding Dory features returning favorites Marlin, Nemo and the Tank Gang. Set in part along the California coastline, the story also welcomes a host of new characters, including a few who will prove to be a very important part of Dory’s life, such as her parents. Findng Nemo helmer Andrew Stanton returned to the directors chair for the animated film, which features the voices of Ellen DeGeneres, Albert Brooks, Ed O’Neill, Kaitlin Olson, Ty Burrell, Michael Sheen, Eugene Levy and Diane Keaton.

New Line‘s Central Intelligence, starring Dwayne Johnson and Kevin Hart, also opened to $1.84 million from Thursday previews.

Central Intelligence follows a one-time bullied geek who grew up to be a lethal CIA agent (Johnson), coming home for his high school reunion. Claiming to be on a top-secret case, he enlists the help of the former “big man on campus” (Hart), now an accountant who misses his glory days. But before the staid numbers-cruncher realizes what he’s getting into it’s too late to get out, as his increasingly unpredictable new friend drags him through a world of shoot-outs, double-crosses and espionage that could get them both killed in more ways than he can count.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:22 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Finding Dory Swims to Record Opening for an Animated Film

By ComingSoon

June 19, 2016

Disney•Pixar‘s Finding Dory debuted #1 at the domestic box office this weekend with an estimated $136.2 million from 4,305 theaters, an average of $31,634 per theater. The film marks the biggest animated opening of all-time, surpassing Shrek the Third‘s ($121.6 million), and stands as the second-largest June opening of all-time, trailing only Jurassic World‘s $208.8 million debut last year. In addition to the biggest animation opening weekend of all time, Finding Dory also had the biggest opening day for an animated film on Friday taking in over $54.95 million as well as the biggest Thursday previews of all time. The film, which received an A CinemaScore from audiences, also surpassed Toy Story 3’s $110.3 million to become the biggest Disney/Pixar opening film. IMAX’s global box office for Finding Dory $6.4 million from 344 screens, with $5 million of that total coming from 211 U.S. IMAX screens.

Finding Dory debuted with $50 million internationally for a global total of $186.2 million as it opened in 32% of the international marketplace. Finding Dory marks Pixar’s biggest opening ever in China ($17.5 million) and the biggest Disney/Pixar opening weekend ever in Australia ($7.6 million). The film will continue its international rollout in France and Spain next weekend before expanding across the globe throughout the summer and fall.

Warner Bros. Pictures and Universal Pictures‘ Central Intelligence, starring Dwayne Johnson and Kevin Hart, debuted in second place with $34.5 million from 3,508 theaters, for an average of $9,835 per location. Receiving an A- CinemaScore, the Rawson Marshall Thurber-directed action comedy also brought in $6.8 million overseas for a global weekend of $41.3 million. The film cost about $50 million to make before marketing expenses.

James Wan’s The Conjuring 2 dropped to the third spot with $15.6 million its second weekend for a total of $71.7 million. Internationally, The Conjuring 2 added $41.9 million and has earned $116.2 million. The $40 million-budgeted film, again starring Vera Farmiga and Patrick Wilson, has now grossed $187.9 million worldwide.

The Lionsgate sequel Now You See Me 2 added $9.6 million its second weekend in fourth place for a total of $41.4 million. Now You See Me 2, which cost about $90 million, stars Jesse Eisenberg, Mark Ruffalo, Woody Harrelson, Dave Franco, Daniel Radcliffe, Lizzy Caplan, Jay Chou, Sanaa Lathan, David Washofsky, Tsai Chin, Michael Caine and Morgan Freeman.

In fifth place, Legendary Pictures and Universal Pictures‘ Warcraft dropped 73% in ticket sales its second weekend at the domestic box office with $6.5 million. Made for $160 million, the Duncan Jones-directed video game adaptation has earned $37.7 million in North America. Internationally, Warcraft has earned $339.9 million for a global total of $377.6 million. $205 million of that international total is from China alone! The film stars Travis Fimmel, Paula Patton, Ben Foster, Dominic Cooper, Toby Kebbell, Ben Schnetzer, Rob Kazinsky and Daniel Wu.

Coming in at No. 6, 20th Century Fox’s X-Men: Apocalypse earned $5.2 million for a total of $146 million after four weeks. Internationally, the Bryan Singer-directed film added $12.8 million for an overseas total of $364.1 million. Worldwide, the $178 million-budgeted film has reached $510 million. X-Men: Apocalypse stars James McAvoy, Michael Fassbender, Jennifer Lawrence, Oscar Isaac, Nicholas Hoult, Rose Byrne, Tye Sheridan, Sophie Turner, Olivia Munn, Lucas Till, Evan Peters, Kodi Smit-McPhee, Alexandra Shipp, Josh Helman, Lana Condor and Ben Hardy.

Dropping to seventh place was Paramount Pictures and Nickelodeon Movies’ Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows, which brought in $5.2 million its third weekend for a total of $71.9 million so far. Made for $135 million, the sequel stars Alan Ritchson, Jeremy Howard, Pete Ploszek, Noel Fisher, Megan Fox, Will Arnett, William Fichtner, Tyler Perry, Sheamus, Gary Anthony Williams, Brittany Ishibashi, Stephen Amell, and Brian Tee.

The Warner Bros. drama Me Before You added $4.2 million its third weekend for a total of $46.4 million. Made for $20 million, the adaptation of the Jojo Moyes novel stars Sam Claflin, Emilia Clarke, Charles Dance, Jenna Coleman, Matthew Lewis, Vanessa Kirby, Stephen Peacocke, Brendan Coyle and Janet McTeer. Internationally, the film has earned $36 million for a global total of $82.4 million.

Marvel Studios’ Captain America: Civil War also surpassed the $400 million mark at the domestic box office on Saturday, making it the 23rd film to cross that mark. Disney has released 9 of the 23 films to have earned more than $400 million domestically, and Captain America: Civil War ranks as the fourth-highest grossing film from the Marvel Cinematic Universe following The Avengers ($623 million), Avengers: Age of Ultron ($459 million) and Iron Man 3 ($409 million). The film has earned $743.6 million overseas to take its worldwide total to $1.144 billion. Captain America: Civil War stands as the 12th highest-grossing movie of all-time. Directed by Anthony and Joe Russo, the film cost $250 million to make.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:43 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Finding Dory Breaks Box Office Record After Crossing $300 Million

By ComingSoon

June 29, 2016

Finding Dory just keeps swimming at the box office and it has been revealed that with its added $14.7 million on Tuesday, June 28, the film has officially crossed the $300 million mark at the domestic box office for a domestic total of $311.2 million. The film became the 11th animated movie ever to reach this threshold and set a new record by reaching the milestone in just 12 days, surpassing the 18 day record held by both Shrek 2 and Toy Story 3. In addition, Finding Dory is The Walt Disney Studios’ fourth release of 2016 to cross $300 million and its 18th ever.

Finding Dory picks up six months after the first movie, with Dory (Ellen DeGeneres) living a quiet life among the clown fishes. After going with Nemo on a class trip to see manta rays migrate back home, her home sickness leads the forgetful Dory on a quest to find where she came from.

Finding Dory features returning favorites Marlin, Nemo and the Tank Gang. Set in part along the California coastline, the story also welcomes a host of new characters, including a few who will prove to be a very important part of Dory’s life, such as her parents.

Finding Nemo helmer Andrew Stanton (John Carter) returns to the directors chair for the animated film, which features the voices of Ellen DeGeneres, Albert Brooks, Ed O’Neill, Kaitlin Olson, Ty Burrell, Michael Sheen, Eugene Levy and Diane Keaton.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:27 pm 
not exactly street legal

Finding Dory
Spoiler: show
Finding Nemo was an amazing five star movie that moved me beyond words. Finding Dory is not. However Finding Nemo was ALSO the kind of movie where I wished I could just spend some more time with these characters. And on that Finding Dory delivered. As long as the movie wasn't terrible, I was always going to like it. It wasn't terrible. I liked it.

Let's get my major complaint out of the way. I think the concept was a little too dark, especially for such a light character as Dory. The short term memory loss thing was hilarious and endearing in the first movie, but if you think about it too hard, it's really kind of tragic and not funny. Toy Story has a similar problem built into its concept. Sure, the toys get a few more years with Bonnie now. But the underlying problem of the kid growing out of the toys remains, and they are just putting off the inevitable. It's because I know the toys are going to have to have a sad ending SOMETIME, which is the reason none of the Toy Story endings seemed all that happy to me. There is a darkness in that happiness.

The darkness of forgetting everything is a terrible concept to actually sit and think about. For one thing, we learned this is a Dory specific problem. Her parents don't seem to suffer from this, so they actually are broken when Dory gets lost in a way Dory herself is not. And it's got to kill them knowing that their daughter probably forgot all about them (and did). Dory finding her parents was nice, but I cannot imagine what fresh hell they must have been going through. It's like a kid with Down Syndrone who is abducted. Her parents can hope all they want that she'll someday find her way home. But deep down, knowing that she isn't really equipped to do that has got to be eating them alive. Marlin IS equipped to find Nemo (especially with Dory's help). For years until she met Marlin, Dory didn't have anyone. And it still took her a year of being with her new family to even realize something was up with her old one. It's a really dark and sad concept, which fortunately at least seems like it will have a happier, more permanent ending than poor Andy's doomed toys.

How did Dory's parents recognize her? She looks and sounds nothing like the cute little guppy that got lost. I kind of feel this is a plot point that should have been mentioned. Parents who lose kids they don't find until they are adults often do not recognize them at first at all. Dory's parent seem entirely too sure it is her.

I like Hank the Octopus precisely because for a great deal of the time, I couldn't tell if I should like him. During his first few scenes, there is every possibility he will turn out to be a villain. But he grows as attached to Dory as the audience has, and even if he doesn't believe Dory when she says she'll remember him, you can tell he wants to.

The end climax was a bit ridiculous, even for a Pixar movie. There is no way a bunch of fish should be able to catch a truck on the highway, and I pretty much rolled my eyes at the driving octopus. Still, "It's A Wonderful World" pretty much made all of the nonsense worth it.

Love that Sigourney Weaver is almost an omnipresent God in the film. I think this might be Pixar's first example of a celebrity playing themselves. And no, I don't count the punny Cars announcers.

"Unforgettable" was a great choice for the end title theme. Honestly, "Beyond the Sea" is one of the most memorable things about Finding Nemo, and it is one of the only movies where the end credits are an essential part of the appeal. That moment was even referenced on "Lost". This was not on that level. But at least the movie seemed to be aware they should try to MAKE it on that level. And that was enough for me.

Laughed at Gil's cameo at the end. It never ends for that guy.

I love Marlin saying "I know a guy" and the guy turning out to be Crush. Crush is and always HAS been The Guy.

I also loved Marlin trying to convince himself that the last thing he said to Dory before she disappeared wasn't actually as horrible as what Nemo pointed out his exact words were. He's not so much trying to rationalize it simply to make himself sound and feel better. I think part of him is appalled at the idea that that might wind up being what Dory ultimately thinks he thinks of her. And THAT is the truly horrible thing. I don't blame him for that.

Was the movie as great as the original? No. Did it need to be for me to enjoy it? No. ***1/2.

Piper
Spoiler: show
Dear lord, this was adorable. I want a Piper plushie. Now. Gimme gimme gimme. *****.

DCAU Wish List: Blight, Inque, Stalker, Jonah Hex, Royal Flush Gang, Luminus, Jax-Ur, Mala, Granny Goodness, Stompa, Mad Harriet, Count Vertigo, Mr. Mxyzspltlk, Steppenwolf, Kanto, Static, Gear, Zeta, Ro, Felix Faust, Morgaine Le Fey, Ares, Circe, Hades.