It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:01 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Arnold Schwarzenegger Returning for The Legend of Conan
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:50 am 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Arnold Schwarzenegger Returning for The Legend of Conan

by SuperHeroHype

October 25, 2012

Arnold Schwarzenegger is set to once again crush his enemies, see them driven before him and to hear the lamentation of their women. Deadline reports that the actor, who starred in 1982's Conan the Barbarian and in 1984's Conan the Destroyer, will reprise his role as the Cimmerian warrior in The Legend of Conan, a new Robert E. Howard adaptation in the works from Universal Pictures.

Details are few on the plot of the new film, but it is said to ignore the events of both Conan the Destroyer and of the most recent reboot, 2011's Conan the Barbarian, which features "Game of Thrones" star Jason Momoa in the lead.

“The original ended with Arnold on the throne as a seasoned warrior, and this is the take of the film we will make,” producer Frederik Malmberg tells the site about where The Legend of Conan picks up. “It’s that Nordic Viking mythic guy who has played the role of king, warrior, soldier and mercenary, and who has bedded more women than anyone, nearing the last cycle of his life. He knows he’ll be going to Valhalla, and wants to go out with a good battle.”

Following his time in politics, Schwarzenegger has been lining up projects left and right. He recently starred in The Expendables 2 and will re-team with Sylvester Stallone in next year's The Tomb. Schwarzenegger can next be seen in The Last Stand, the english language debut of director Kim Jee-Woon, and is currently filming David Ayer's Ten, an action drama that revealed its first behind-the-scenes photo earlier today.

Malmberg and Chris Morgan are attached to produce The Legend of Conan. Morgan has already plotted the story himself and may also provide the screenplay, aiming for a summer 2014 release.

Post subject: Re: Arnold Schwarzenegger Returning for The Legend of Conan
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:01 am 
serves the Otter

Dude is going to have to do some serious exercise to pull this off. I've seen pretty recent pictures of him as governor at the beach and he is all steroid deflated flab. I weight 350 pounds and I look better with my shirt off than Arnold does.

Unless he's fittened up since then. Did he take his shirt off in The Expendables?

When truth is only a matter of opinion, advantage goes to the liars.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:57 am 
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing

At least they are smart enough to cast him as "old" Conan.

Not sure I care for the premise of the film in that statement, but at least they are being realistic about what Arnold might be able to do at this point.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:30 am 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

King Conan would have been better.

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:45 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Writer-Producer Chris Morgan Talks The Legend of Conan

by SuperHeroHype

December 03, 2012

It was reported over a month ago that Arnold Schwarzenegger has signed on to reprise his role as Conan the Cimmerian warrior in The Legend of Conan. The film is set to be produced by Frederik Malmberg and Chris Morgan with Morgan having provided the story and potentially writing the script. Morgan spoke with Hero Complex about the film and the process, because it wasn't easy convincing Arnold to pick the sword back up.

Morgan told the actor to think of the film as 'catching up' with an old friend. “Not a reboot, not a remake. Just an update. Where has the character been all this time? A catch-up with Conan.”

The story that Morgan has plotted will pick up late in Conan's life while still ruling over his kingdom.

He says: “He’s not going out and fighting battles, but he ends up getting drawn into something and he has to access the barbarian he was in his youth. I love that Conan has been many things in his life, notably a pirate, a major tactician and a commander of men. In this movie, we’re going to tap into some of those things – things you haven’t seen on screen yet.

“I want the warrior whose joints have started to fuse together, who has to crack the cartilage so he can pick up a sword again. I want the guy who’s not necessarily lost a step, but there’s some rust he has to shake off. I want to embrace that. It makes it a greater hero story.

“Conan needs to be faced with challenges. The greatest challenge to him isn’t the armies that are set before him. It’s, on some level, self-doubt, a little bit of slowing down and forcing yourself to be heroic beyond what people expect of you. What I don’t want is for him to step back in and look the same. That would defeat the purpose of our story.”

Morgan hasn't officially signed on to write the film, but he will be involved with it in some capacity.

“No matter what, I’ll be there every step of the way. Whether it’s penning this quickly or selecting the writer, it’s me guiding the process or being a real honest-to-god producer. I’m excited either way. I’m really, really stoked.”

The film is said to be a direct sequel to 1984's Conan the Barbarian and will ignore the events of both Conan the Destroyer and of the most recent reboot, 2011's Conan the Barbarian, which features "Game of Thrones" star Jason Momoa in the lead. Universal is aiming for a 2014 release.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:21 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Arnold Schwarzenegger Talks Returning as Conan

by SuperHeroHype

January 08, 2013

When the initial announcement of a new Conan movie with the original barbarian Arnold Schwarzenegger back in the role was made, we were pretty excited about the potential. The last we heard about the film was from writer-producer Chris Morgan, who had a lot to say about it. Now, Arnold himself is on the record about the movie.

In an interview with I Am Rogue, he spoke about how Universal got the rights and where the movie is right now.

"Let me just say that a lot of it has to do with timing. That's what show business and politics have in common. It's a lot of it is timing, and I think that I would've chosen to do Conan already if it would've been ready, but the Universal studio just bought the rights to Conan, they have an executive over there that happens to be a big believer in bringing back that character, and Universal was the first one to do the movie with Dino DeLaurentiis, and now they want to be back and do a bunch of Conan movies, but do it high-quality, not as a B-movie, to do it high-quality like the first one was John Milius directed and Dino DeLaurentiis produced and Universal has presented. So they want to go back to that. So that will be ready by sometime this year."

The film is said to be a direct sequel to 1984's Conan the Barbarian and will ignore the events of both Conan the Destroyer and of the most recent reboot, 2011's Conan the Barbarian, which features "Game of Thrones" star Jason Momoa in the lead. Universal is aiming for a 2014 release.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:18 pm 
5" Scale

I definitely think King Conan should be what Arnie should be playing. They hinted at in both movies and might make for a more interesting story and movie. Some of my favorite comics in my teens was King Conan.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:02 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Arnold Schwarzenegger Updates on The Legend of Conan

by SuperHeroHype

January 13, 2013

Word broke last fall that Universal Pictures is planning a return to the Hyborian Age with The Legend of Conan, bringing Arnold Schwarzenegger back as the Robert E. Howard Cimmerian warrior. Ain't It Cool News caught up with Schwarzenegger at a special screening of his latest, The Last Stand and learned that the project is likely to shoot later this year and will potentially set up production in New Zealand.

"[Universal] finally came forward," Schwarzenegger explains, "and said, 'You're absolutely right. The previous regime has missed the boat here. We want to pick it up. We're going to buy the rights and we're going to be serious about it and make a quality film with an A-director and with A-writers and so on. And we want you to participate in this. We want you to star and you to play Conan. We're going to take a story where Conan is at that age so it's totally believable and you're not looking like a 30-year old action guy.'"

“The original ended with Arnold on the throne as a seasoned warrior, and this is the take of the film we will make,” producer Frederik Malmberg said in the original announcement. “It’s that Nordic Viking mythic guy who has played the role of king, warrior, soldier and mercenary, and who has bedded more women than anyone, nearing the last cycle of his life. He knows he’ll be going to Valhalla, and wants to go out with a good battle.”

You can check out the full interview in the player below:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:16 am 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

What's the Status of The Legend of Conan?

by SuperHeroHype

July 30, 2013

Arnold Schwarzenegger is already back in the acting game after his long political career. He's already starred in The Last Stand earlier this year and will appear with Sylvester Stallone in Escape Plan this October. The one film we continue to hear about that he wants to make is a sequel to the original Conan the Barbarian titled The Legend of Conan, an appropriate film for the actor given that he's celebrating his 66th birthday today. TheArnoldFans.com spoke with Fredrik Malmberg, the CEO of Paradox Entertainment (the rights holders for "Conan"), and got a few more details about the film.

"The idea is that this takes place AFTER Conan has been king," Malmberg said, "But this is the legend of Conan where he has been gone and people say, 'do you remember the good ol' days when Conan was around?' And now it's time for him to come back. In the stories and you can also see it when he's sitting on the throne and the narration on that last scene of the movie..."with a troubled brow" ...you can tell he's not really happy being king. So, it's time for him to go out and do battle."

The site then asked Malmberg if the sequel, currently in development with the writers of The Fast and the Furious franchise, would go the route of Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull and bring on a "young, hip" son for Conan.

"The idea for this particular film is that he will be the lead, a lot of people ask if we're going to introduce a son of Conan and passing the torch? The idea is to not. No, this is Conan's movie. This is Arnold's movie!"

Malmberg also said the studio is mulling over the possibility of shooting the film in 3D and this story shall also be told. Schwarzenegger is also set to appear in the upcoming horror film Maggie and may be back in the Terminator reboot.

The Legend of Conan is said to be a direct sequel to 1984's Conan the Barbarian and will ignore the events of both Conan the Destroyer and of the most recent reboot, 2011's Conan the Barbarian, which features "Game of Thrones" star Jason Momoa in the lead. Universal is aiming for a 2014 release.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:53 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Andrea Berloff to Script The Legend of Conan

by SuperHeroHype

October 01, 2013

As reported last October, Arnold Schwarzenegger is planning a big screen return to the Hyborian Age of Robert E. Howard with The Legend of Conan. Deadline today reports that Universal Pictures has hired World Trade Center scribe Andrea Berloff to write the continuation of the adventures started in 1984's Conan the Barbarian.

The new film is said to be a direct sequel to Barbarian and will ignore the events of both Conan the Destroyer and of the most recent reboot, 2011's Conan the Barbarian, which features "Game of Thrones" star Jason Momoa in the lead.

Although initial reports had The Legend of Conan on track for a 2014 release, it is a near certainty that the film will arrive in theaters a bit later than that initial estimate.