Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Sat Jul 23, 2016 1:12 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: What If..?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 3:26 am 
Bob Vila

After Phase III concludes, and Marvel either gets entirely or cooperatively all it's characters back, if they just closed the book on the current MCU and completely rebooted it with all new actors and just jumped right into something like Secret Wars or even did a Secret Invasion spread across an entire "phase" of movies? Would people be into that? I really can't see this current cast and canon last more than the end of Phase III, definitely not past IV, and it would truly surprise me if Marvel doesn't regain control of it's characters within a year or two.

Post subject: Re: What If..?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:20 am 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Yep, I'm with you. I think there will be a Phase 4. Marvel seems invested enough in what they're currently doing to keep it going for one more round. I really doubt if there's a Phase 5 unless Black Panther, Captain Marvel, Dr. Strange and Inhumans are monster hits. They'll have to do Guardians of the Galaxy numbers at the box office to each get a third movie.

The future's hard to speculate about because we just don't know about the rights issues. Mark Ruffalo just said that a solo Hulk movie is "getting further away" because Universal still has the rights. Last I heard, Universal has the rights to Sub-Mariner, too. Fox screwed the pooch with Daredevil and Fantastic Four, but they're having a lot of success with X-Men. Marvel and Hasbro are apparently blocking any merchandising deals with the mutants, but the box office numbers are such that Fox will probably hang on to them. A deal seems unlikely, but I've been surprised before.

The other thing is Television. There's Netflix. And Disney owns their own Network with ABC. Will we ever see Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, Iron Fist and the Agents of SHIELD on the big screen? I hope so, but there doesn't seem to be a lot of cooperation between Marvel's film and television divisions.

If (I say IF) Marvel gets the Fantastic Four back, will they try making a feature film or will it be a TV show?

I really, really wish Marvel had the rights to all their characters. It sucks that they don't. But getting Spider-Man back gets my hopes up. Anything seems possible now.

I think a total reboot is entirely possible after Phase 4. That seems more likely than not. Secret Invasion sounds like it would be a great story to link all the movies. It has a real paranoid "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" type feel to it.

Another possibility is the Kree-Skrull War or Operation: Galactic Storm.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:57 pm 
Bob Vila

I think if they get FF back, they may be the centerpiece to Phase 4. I'd like to see them "return to Earth" for the Infinity War and maybe have a couple movies dealing with where they were and what they were doing leading up to the present where Ant Man and She Hulk are helping with the Future Foundation. If I was in charge of the world, my Phase IV would look something like:

FF- The "Return" of the Fantastic Four

Netflix Peter Parker

Spider-Man 2

ABC Agents of SHEILD vs the Inhumans

Black Panther 2

Netflix She-Hulk (w Howard the Duck)

Daredevil movie w Black Widow

Guardians of the Galaxy 3

FF - The Future Foundation (Fantastic Four, Ant-Man & Shulkie)

Netflix Punisher

Capt Marvel 2

Dr Strange 2

ABC Agent Carter in the 90's working w Pym and the early FF

Netflix Planet Hulk (like marvels outer space game of thrones)

West Coast Avengers vs The Ten Rings (with Sam Cap, Rhodey, Tony, Ant Man, Wasp, Vision, Hawkeye and Mockingbird vs the real Mandarin)

Secret Wars as the finale to the MCU featuring X-Men characters in a deal brokered with Fox which would ultimately lead to a complete reboot of the entire Marvel universe with Sony, Fox and Marvel all having access to each other's characters.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:45 pm 
not exactly street legal

I think a reboot after Phase Four will be necessary too. And I hope they get X-Men and Fantastic Four back soon. Namor too.

A reboot would be awesome because they means they could give the MCU a definitive ending. Which would be awesome for all parties concerned. I'd love that.

DCAU Wish List: Blight, Inque, Stalker, Jonah Hex, Royal Flush Gang, Luminus, Jax-Ur, Mala, Granny Goodness, Stompa, Mad Harriet, Count Vertigo, Mr. Mxyzspltlk, Steppenwolf, Kanto, Static, Gear, Zeta, Ro, Felix Faust, Morgaine Le Fey, Ares, Circe, Hades.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:54 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

shishalzafrazz wrote:

FF- The "Return" of the Fantastic Four

Netflix Peter Parker

Spider-Man 2

ABC Agents of SHEILD vs the Inhumans

Black Panther 2

Netflix She-Hulk (w Howard the Duck)

Daredevil movie w Black Widow

Guardians of the Galaxy 3

FF - The Future Foundation (Fantastic Four, Ant-Man & Shulkie)

Netflix Punisher

Capt Marvel 2

Dr Strange 2

ABC Agent Carter in the 90's working w Pym and the early FF

Netflix Planet Hulk (like marvels outer space game of thrones)

West Coast Avengers vs The Ten Rings (with Sam Cap, Rhodey, Tony, Ant Man, Wasp, Vision, Hawkeye and Mockingbird vs the real Mandarin)

Secret Wars as the finale to the MCU featuring X-Men characters in a deal brokered with Fox which would ultimately lead to a complete reboot of the entire Marvel universe with Sony, Fox and Marvel all having access to each other's characters.

Wow, I really like your ideas.

Especially the Daredevil and Black Widow movie. With Scarlett Johansson reprising as The Black Widow? That would be a lot of fun.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:48 pm 
Bob Vila

Seemed like that would be a good way for Daredevil to have an official movie in the MCU, Black Widow to have a bigger role as well, and the Punisher to have his own vehicle, too. I would also love to see jessica jones and Howard in competing private eye businesses and Jen Walters take on Murdock & Nelson.

I also think a Netflix Peter Parker series would be a great way to do a serialized high school john Hughes Spider-Man series with some of his minor villains and leave his big bads for the films.

Mostly, I just think shaking it up like that would be the breath of life the franchise will inevitably need at that point. By the end of Phase III, the connected MCU (not counting the Fox and Sony movies) will have at least 10 full seasons of television shows and over 30 films. That's an insane amount of stuff that, while being visually interesting and mostly unique, is the same 15 actors in the same cgi and tights having their own little trilogies that pile up into one big super trilogy. Gonna have to break some new ground after Infinity War.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:19 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

I agree with you. I think the big question is will there be a phase 4 and phase 5. I'm going to guess yes to phase 4 but after that they're going to have to look at their options.

How much longer are the current group of actors, actresses and directors going to want to keep playing these roles and making these movies? I suppose you could always recast (How many actors have played James Bond and Batman?) but I think in the end a reboot may be the best way to go.

If they do reboot, I hope they skip the origins. I mean, we get it. Frozen in ice, bitten by a radioactive spider, bombarded by gamma rays, blinded by a radioactive isotope, shrapnel in the chest, ad nauseam. We know.

I honestly think that was the big mistake Sony made with their Spider-Man reboot. The whole time I was watching Amazing Spider-Man, I had this "been there, done that" feeling. I mean, I like Uncle Ben and everything, but I'm getting tired of watching him get shot. "Great power, great responsibility". Got it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:22 pm 
Bob Vila

Absolutely. And there are ways to include the origin stories without having to make an entire movie about it. What I don't want to see is a partial recasting. I get the feeling if it ends after Infinity War, we're probably keeping our current spider man for a couple more movies, but I would hate to see Ruffalo and Hemsworth Hulk and Thor alongside some new Tony and Steve.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 5:51 pm 
Loose, Missing Package

:lol:

I stumbled across this thread searching through Screen Scene and for a second thought that I'd missed an announcement for a "What If...?" movie! LOL!

(oy, I need sleep... )

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 5:58 pm 
Loose, Missing Package

To your actual topic at hand... I think that Marvel is setting up plenty of possibilities for shifting a name to a new person within the films already. Sam or Bucky could end up as Cap, Rhodey as Iron Man, Helen Cho has been introduced does she have a son named Amadeus?... In the end I think the way they're going about things makes a lot more sense than the way Fox just throws new actors into a part in the X-films (not that Marvel hasn't done some of that, themselves). Passing the torch will be a much more interesting way of dealing with things (and it could still leave open cameo possibilities) much more than DC's constant re-boots.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:49 am 
not exactly street legal

I'd rather have a reboot if the continuity is over a decade old. I don't want to watch a Cap who isn't Steve Rogers or an Iron Man who isn't Tony Stark. "Passing the torch" doesn't cut the mustard.

DCAU Wish List: Blight, Inque, Stalker, Jonah Hex, Royal Flush Gang, Luminus, Jax-Ur, Mala, Granny Goodness, Stompa, Mad Harriet, Count Vertigo, Mr. Mxyzspltlk, Steppenwolf, Kanto, Static, Gear, Zeta, Ro, Felix Faust, Morgaine Le Fey, Ares, Circe, Hades.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 4:29 pm 
Bob Vila

For me it would be more I don't want to see the ones who don't have younger counterparts recast. I don't mind a Rhodey Iron Man, although I think Downey, Jr. & Cheadle are around the same age, but I don't want to see them working alongside a new Thor or Black Widow. If they've done this well at building this massive 3 act monstrosity, I don't see why they couldn't start from the ground up. And I don't mind if the eventual rebooted MCU starts out with a Sam Cap or a Rhodey Iron Man, but I wouldn't want them to be Anthony Mackie or Don Cheadle.

And you can even set up the transition in the current MCU. Have Tony pass the mantle and Steve get killed in Infinity War. Then the general public will know there's a different guy in the uniform before they start a reboot of it.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 4:33 pm 
Bob Vila

Also, being as Inhumans comes after Infinity War, if there's not gonna be a cannon phase 4, I kinda hope Inhumans is the beginning of the rebooted universe and not the denouement of the current universe. I really feel like not ending it with Infinity War (unless there's a whole nother "phase" of movies) devalues the entire premise in a way.