Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:55 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Ghostbusters spinoff (2017), possible cinematic universe
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:32 am 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Channing Tatum May Headline a Ghostbusters Film from the Russo Brothers!

SuperHeroHype

Mar 09, 2015

A surprise move on the part of Sony Pictures, Deadline has just revealed that development is underway on a new Ghostbusters film separate from the one that Paul Feig is directing. According to the outlet, Captain America: The Winter Soldier helmers Joe and Anthony Russo are tentatively planning to helm with Iron Man 3 scribe Drew Pearce providing the screenplay. What’s more, Channing Tatum will produce and likely star with the plot following an idea Tatum has been developing with Dan Aykroyd!

“We want to expand the Ghostbusters universe in ways that will include different films, TV shows, merchandise, all things that are part of modern filmed entertainment,” Ivan Reitman tells the outlet. “This is a branded entertainment, a scary supernatural premise mixed with comedy. Paul Feig’s film will be the first version of that, shooting in June to come out in July, 2016. He’s got four of the funniest women in the world, and there will be other surprises to come. The second film has a wonderful idea that builds on that. Drew will start writing and the hope is to be ready for the Russo Brothers’ next window next summer to shoot, with the movie coming out the following year. It’s just the beginning of what I hope will be a lot of wonderful movies.”

Described as a “counterpart” to Feig’s Ghostbusters, details are currently few and we’re not quite sure yet whether this new film will be branching out of the world of the reboot or whether it will have ties back to Reitman’s original two Ghostbusters features. The news does arrive simultaneously with the announcement of Ghostcorps, a new company from Reitman and Aykroyd being established at Sony with an aim to explore Ghostbusters merchandising opportunities, including potential films, television tie-ins, and more.

Feig’s take on the property is said to be targeting a scarier tone that will not maintain any continuity with the original film or its 1989 sequel (or the surprisingly continuity-heavy animated series “The Real Ghostbusters,” for that matter). Kristen Wiig, Leslie Jones, Melissa McCarthy and Kate McKinnon are set to headline the July 22, 2016 release.

UPDATE: Although it sounds a great deal is still up in the air as to the specifics of how the studio will be going about it, Badass Digest has an intriguing update that suggests that as many as four new Ghostbusters films are in the works at Sony Pictures. Assuming it moves forward as planned, the Channing Tatum-led film will follow Feig’s Ghostbusters with tentative plans to then explore the same supernatural universe in both a prequel film and a franchise crossover film. What’s more, the site claims that Chris Pratt is likely planning to star opposite Tatum! Click here to check out their full report and check back here for updates as soon as any plans are confirmed.

Post subject: Re: Ghostbusters spinoff (2017), possible cinematic univers
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:00 am 
Loose, Missing Package

Ya know, I had never thought of him before and he's probably a bit older than the studio wants, but man... John Leguizamo would be great as a Ghostbuster...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:13 am 
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing

+1'd

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:57 am 
too much stick, not enough carrot

Man can you imagine Pratt, Tatum, Leguizamo and someone like John Cho or Dave Franco?

Much more excited for this one than the other one.

DC/WB is all like "Wonder Woman's too confusing for a movie!" and Marvel/Disney is all like "Here's a raccoon with a machine gun".

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:56 am 
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing

Honestly, I don't really see the need for an "all male" v "all female" team of Ghostbusters.

Why the hell can't we get a team that has both? Give me Pratt, Wiig, Tatum, and Elizabeth Banks.

Give me 4 unknowns. Give me someone of every racial category for a team of 8, 9, 10 ....

Hell, make the new movies focus on some small town "franchise" of the Ghostbusters (automatically accepts the continuity of the originals and gives an excuse why we don't see them at the same time) and give me 4 "unknown" actors. Just give me a damn good script for them to work off of and the rest will just fall into place.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:12 am 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Ghostbusters Producer Ivan Reitman Denies Existence of Rumored Spin-Offs

SuperHeroHype

Jul 30, 2015

There have rumblings of an alternate Ghostbusters film starring Channing Tatum and Chris Pratt for the Russo Brothers (Captain America: The Winter Soldier) to direct for several months, with screenwriter Drew Pearce recently adding fuel to the fire, but original Ghostbusters and Ghostbusters II director Ivan Reitman has issued a statement shutting down those rumors hard.

“There has been a lot of excitement recently about what is happening with the ‘Ghostbusters’ franchise,” states Reitman. “As the producer of the new ‘Ghostbusters’ film, I feel the need to clarify. There is only one new ‘Ghostbusters’ movie and that is the Paul Feig directed version coming next July, presently filming and going fantastically. The rest is just noise.”

Along with this statement was a message from the Montecito Picture Company clarifying that before Feig’s reboot was greenlit, several writing teams were engaged by Sony to present different pitches, with the Pearce/Russos/Pratt/Tatum venture likely one of them, although no formal conversations ever took place.

This was corroborated by Channing Tatum’s production partner Reid Carolin to ScreenRant as well as Chris Pratt directly to GQ last month, when they confirmed it was no longer (or possibly never was) in the cards.

“We’re not doing that anymore,” Carolin stated bluntly. “I think it’s too complicated. There’s a lot of things going on with that brand and I just feel like it’s over-saturated.”

“No one has ever even spoken to me about that,” Pratt stated. “Never. I’ve even seen Channing a couple times. As far as I know, that’s complete bulls–t.”

However, to hear Iron Man 3 and Mission: Impossible – Rogue Nation writer Pearce talk about it to MTV, you would think it’s something that is still very much active.

“I’ve finished my work on that in the last couple weeks,” Pearce said this week. “Obviously it’s top secret, but there’s a gigantic bold idea that I came up with, and the Russo brothers and Ivan Reitman are going to take that and run with it. Obviously I cannot tell you what it is, but hopefully in one year’s time you’ll know! That’s definitely the cast [Tatum & Pratt] we’ve been thinking about as we approach the project. Whether that happens or not is very much above my pay grade. It’s just my job to give them something exciting that maybe they’ll do.”

Pearce states that the plan is for this potential Boy-busters to be set in the same universe as Feig’s film, but whether that means it will be a team-up movie with Kristen Wiig & Co. or simply acknowledge her team’s existence with a cameo remains to be seen. The denials on Reitman’s camp could ultimately mean one of two things: 1) The Boy-busters concept was scrapped after Feig came in even though it’s only now trickling to the press, or 2) Sony and Reitman ARE developing it but do not want to get too ahead of themselves as the studio did on their aborted plans for an interconnected Spider-Man universe (Sinister Six, Venom, Black Cat, etc.) that went by the wayside when Amazing Spider-Man 2 underperformed.

Paul Feig‘s upcoming Ghostbusters reboot stars Kristen Wiig as “Erin Gilbert,” Kate McKinnon as “Jillian Holtzmann,” Melissa McCarthy as “Abby Yates” and Leslie Jones as “Patty Tolan.” The film will also feature Andy Garcia as the Mayor of New York City, Michael K. Williams as a character named “Hawkins,” Matt Walsh as a character named “Rourke,” Chris Hemsworth as the Ghostbusters’ secretary, and Neil Casey as the film’s villain. New York City’s NY1 news anchor Pat Kiernan is also set to appear as news anchor in the film. Original star/co-creator Dan Aykroyd will have a cameo.

Directed by Feig from a script he co-wrote with Katie Dippold, Ghostbusters is currently filming for a July 22, 2016 release.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 2:59 am 
Peg Hanger

So Sinister Six is dead too?

ThunderCats Wish List: Mumm-Ra (Everliving), Tygra, Panthro, Cheetara, Slithe, Monkian, Vultureman, WilyKit, WilyKat, Snarf, Jaga, Bengali, Pumyra, Lynx-O, Hachiman, Ratar-O, Grune, Snowman, Hammerhand, Ram-Bam, Tuska Warrior, Ma-Mutt, Safari Joe, Mongor.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:30 am 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Fone Bone wrote:
So Sinister Six is dead too?

I don't think anything's been officially announced yet, but it's not looking good.

Sony's had a bad couple of years with the e-mail hacks and Amazing Spider-Man 2 under-preforming.

I think they're in a holding pattern right now while they wait and see how the new Ghostbusters and Spider-Man movies do.