It is currently Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:14 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Gambit
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 10:15 am 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Channing Tatum Will Star as Gambit in a Solo Film Following X-Men: Apocalypse

Source: ComingSoon

May 13, 2014

Following the reveal this morning that Channing Tatum will play the X-Men character Gambit, The Hollywood Reporter has learned that he will in fact debut in 2016's X-Men: Apocalypse right before appearing in his own solo spin-off film.

Though no writer or director have been attached to the project, it's possible that "Gambit" could be the "Untitled FOX Marvel Movie" which is currently set for release on July 18, 2018. Check back for more information on the project as we learn it. What do you think of Tatum's casting as Gambit?

Created by Chris Claremont and Jim Lee in 1990, the New Orleans native mutant quickly became a fan favorite due to his kinetic energy manipulation abilities and penchant for stealing. The character's only big screen appearance to date (outside his name being featured as an Easter egg in X2) was in X-Men Origins: Wolverine, played by Taylor Kitsch.

Post subject: Re: Gambit
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:07 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

X-Men Gambit Spinoff Starring Channing Tatum Moving Forward

SuperHeroHype

Oct 31, 2014

20th Century Fox has hired RoboCop co-writer Josh Zetumer to write the script for Gambit, the “X-Men” spinoff that has Channing Tatum attached to star. Tatum will also produce with his Free Association partner Reid Carolin, The Donners Company’s Lauren Shuler Donner, and Genre Films’ Simon Kinberg. Zetumer’s script will be based on a treatment by Chris Claremont.

The studio has not yet set a release date for the film, though Gambit is expected to follow the character’s debut in 2016′s X-Men: Apocalypse.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:22 pm 
Still ahead of Mudd

Although Channing Tatum- at least seems like the kind of guy that can laugh at himself---

he just doesn't seem the body type for Gambit at all--- you can maybe hide some in a trenchcoat-- but just not seeing it at all..

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 3:52 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Channing Tatum Says Gambit Will be an Anti-Hero’s Origin Story

SuperHeroHype

May 26, 2015

Empire snagged a couple of quotes from superstar Channing Tatum about his upcoming lead role in 20th Century Fox’s X-Men solo reboot/spin-off movie Gambit, and he makes it very clear that this will be much more of an unconventional character story for title anti-hero Remy LeBeau than the typical superhero outing.

“Josh Zetumer just turned in the first draft of the script, and it’s killer,” adds Tatum. “None of us were sure how he was going to deal with the X-Men world. But we’re going to be changing some of the tropes of these movies. It’s always about saving the world (laughs), but maybe we’re going to shift things a little bit. There’s so many ways you can take [an origin story]. You could do it like ‘Batman Begins,’ or a different take and go the ‘Guardians of the Galaxy’ route. All I can say is, I’m super excited.”

Although Tatum has excelled at both comedic (21 & 22 Jump Street) and dramatic chops (Magic Mike, Foxcatcher), he has yet to find a suitable action franchise to hang his hat on, having been unceremoniously killed off in G.I. Joe: Retaliation and bombing outright with White House Down and Jupiter Ascending. One thing that might make The Ragin’ Cajun a perfect fit for Tatum (as opposed to a secret service agent or half-dog man) is his own family heritage.

“I love Gambit,” Tatum said previously. “I grew up in the South; my father’s from Louisiana. We’d go to New Orleans and I heard all the dialects. It felt so different from the rest of America; it has its own ancient culture. So I identified with that. And he always felt the most real of the X-Men to me. He’s kind of a tortured soul and he’s not a good guy. But he’s not a bad guy, either. He walks his own path. And of course he plays cards and drinks and is a martial-arts badass!”

That penchant for partying, martial arts and playing cards are all qualities Tatum has in spades (pun intended), having practiced wuzuquan kung fu since childhood and opening his own night club, Saints & Sinners, on NOLA’s historic Bourbon Street three years ago. Needless to say, Tatum should throw a mean energy-charged card once Gambit goes before cameras, assuming the project can find a solid director with only a bit more than a year before its scheduled release date of October 7, 2016. High-profile helmers Bennett Miller and Darren Aronofsky have already passed on the project.

With a screenplay by Josh Zetumer (RoboCop), Gambit will be produced by Tatum and his creative partner Reid Carolin, along with X-Men franchise stewards Simon Kinberg and Lauren Shuler Donner.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:35 am 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Rupert Wyatt to Direct Channing Tatum in Gambit

SuperHeroHype

Jun 15, 2015

Entertainment Weekly is reporting that English director Rupert Wyatt has been tapped by 20th Century Fox to helm the X-Men solo reboot/spin-off movie Gambit, which will star Channing Tatum as the title anti-hero Remy LeBeau.

Wyatt is best known to genre fans for resurrecting Fox’s stagnant “Planet of the Apes” franchise with 2011’s Rise of the Planet of the Apes, but even more appropriately he helmed last year’s The Gambler, which ties into Gambit’s affinity for playing cards. High-profile helmers Bennett Miller and Darren Aronofsky were previously approached for the project but passed.

Tatum recently spoke about playing the The Ragin’ Cajun, describing the film as an unconventional origin story and the character of Remy himself as, “kind of a tortured soul and he’s not a good guy. But he’s not a bad guy, either. He walks his own path. And of course he plays cards and drinks and is a martial-arts badass!”

With a screenplay by Josh Zetumer (RoboCop), Gambit will be produced by Tatum and his creative partner Reid Carolin, along with “X-Men” franchise stewards Simon Kinberg and Lauren Shuler Donner. It is scheduled for release October 7, 2016.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:07 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Channing Tatum Talks Gambit, Will Not Appear in X-Men: Apocalypse

SuperHeroHype

Jun 18, 2015

When Channing Tatum does an AMA on Reddit he doesn’t mess around. While promoting a contest to win a trip to the Magic Mike XXL premiere through Omaze to raise money for the Runa Foundation (which preserves Amazonian farm communities), Tatum confirmed his favorite recent video game (Far Cry 3), his favorite ice cream (cookie dough), his favorite Disney character (the broom from Fantasia), and the nickname for his penis (“Gilbert”). Sadly, when asked if his mutant character Gambit would appear in Bryan Singer’s upcoming X-Men: Apocalypse, the answer was not so uplifting.

“No ma’am, or sir. I definitely will not,” Tatum wrote of appearing as the character before his Gambit solo film is released on October 7, 2016.

He also commented about the film in general, alluding to its newfound director Rupert Wyatt (Rise of the Planet of the Apes).

“We finally found someone that I really do believe wants to make Gambit,” Tatum said of Wyatt. “It will be the second standalone character. And I just really think because Gambit is not the most popular or the biggest hero, I think there’s a really unique opportunity. Marvel’s done a lot of great movies that have made a ridiculous amount of money, and it’s always good to figure how to change the form.”

The only odd thing about Tatum’s statement is referring to Gambit as the second standalone in the X-Men universe, thereby discounting the Ryan Reynolds-starrer Deadpool, which is scheduled to open February 12, 2016. It could be that the studio considers Tim Miller’s R-rated, cartoon-inspired actioner a bit too zany to be an official part of their relatively family-friendly X-franchise, despite that character’s comic book and onscreen mutant origins.

With a screenplay by Josh Zetumer (RoboCop), Gambit will be produced by Tatum and his creative partner Reid Carolin, along with “X-Men” franchise stewards Simon Kinberg and Lauren Shuler Donner.

Meanwhile, the Warner Bros. stripper romp Magic Mike XXL opens in theaters on July 1, and 20th Century Fox’s Channing-less X-Men: Apocalypse will open May 27, 2016.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:44 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

From IGN:

Gambit / 29 Jun 2015

Channing Tatum Is Practicing Card Tricks for Gambit

But he won't be prepping for Ghostbusters.

By Anthony Couto

Classic Gambit fans will be thrilled to learn that Channing Tatum has reportedly been practicing card tricks for the role of Remy Lebeau in his upcoming X-Men spin-off film.

In an interview with Screen Rant, Tatum's writing-producing partner, Reid Carolin, revealed the 21 Jump Street star's very practical preparation for Gambit: "Last night, we were with my friend who I went to college with - this guy David Kwong, who is an incredible magician - and he was teaching Chan how to throw cards and do sleight of hand."

Carolin went on to praise Joshua Zetumer's script for Gambit (which is based on a treatment by co-creator and X-Men comics legend Chris Claremont), saying, "The script is really good...To be honest, I don’t watch big movies for pleasure a lot, but this script convinced me that we should be making this movie."

As for the rumored Tatum-led Ghostbusters movie, which would exist alongside Paul Feig's all-female version? Carolin doesn't think that project will happen: "We’re not doing that anymore. ... I think it’s too complicated. There’s a lot of things going on with that brand and I just feel like it’s over-saturated."

While it doesn't look like we'll see Tatum as a Ghostbuster any time soon, Gambit -- directed by Rise of the Planet of the Apes' Rupert Wyatt -- hits theatres on October 7, 2016.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:50 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Channing Tatum Exits X-Men Spinoff Gambit

SuperHeroHype

Jul 28, 2015

There’s a major shakeup today on 20th Century Fox’s side of the Marvel Universe as The Wrap is reporting that Channing Tatum has exited the upcoming X-Men spinoff, Gambit. The film was planned to go before cameras in October, although Tatum’s exit now leaves the film’s future uncertain.

It was recently announced that Gambit would be directed by Rise of the Planet of the Apes helmer Rupert Wyatt with casting reports coming in as recently as yesterday. Today’s update claims Tatum had been involved with screentests for the fim’s female lead with Blue is the Warmest Color and SPECTRE‘s Lea Seydoux among the actresses reading for the part.

With a screenplay by Josh Zetumer (RoboCop), Gambit was to be produced by Tatum and his creative partner Reid Carolin, along with X-Men franchise stewards Simon Kinberg and Lauren Shuler Donner. It is unclear at this stage whether or not Tatum will remain on board the film as a producer, should Gambit move forward.

Currently, Gambit is scheduled for release October 7, 2016, planned to follow X-Men spinoffs Deadpool on February 15 and X-Men: Apocalypse on May 27. As always, check back for updates as they become available.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:52 am 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Channing Tatum Signs His Gambit Deal!

SuperHeroHype

Aug 01, 2015

Despite a report late last month saying that Channing Tatum’s deal for the Gambit movie was in jeopardy of falling apart and that he was planning to exit the X-Men spin-off at 20th Century Fox, The Hollywood Reporter says that the deal has now closed for the actor to star and produce.

According to the trade, the negotiations did hit a sensitive spot, but there was never any real danger of it not moving forward. His commitment to the role could possibly last more than a decade, much like how Hugh Jackman has appeared in many X-Men and solo films as Wolverine.

Rise of the Planet of the Apes helmer Rupert Wyatt will direct Gambit. Josh Zemuter wrote the script, based on a treatment by Chris Claremont. Tatum, Reid Carolin, Lauren Shuler Donner and Simon Kinberg are producing.

The film is planned to go before cameras in October for an October 7, 2016 release. The movie will follow X-Men spinoff Deadpool on February 15, 2016 and X-Men: Apocalypse on May 27, 2016.