Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:39 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 207 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: Disney to Acquire Lucasfilm, Star Wars Episode 7 Coming
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:02 pm 
Santos L. Halper

When I heard this, in the back of my head, I started to really wish that the original actors - Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher, Harrison Ford - will reprise their roles somehow. Then I googled them to see what they look like nowadays, particularly Mark and Carrie. Oh boy. We're gonna need A LOT of CGI!! Not for the space battles, no, I talking about CGI to make the actors look young and skinny again!!

I can just see it now: Star Wars Episode VII : Return of the fat and ulgy Jedi

Does anybody else wish they'd made this about 20 years ago when the actors still looked like Luke, Han and Leia?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:09 pm 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

That's . . . disappointing.

The Thrawn books were the closest in tone to the original movies IMHO, and they would have made outstanding films, especially if they could have found some way to deal with an aging Han, Luke, and Leia.

I loves me some Mara Jade.

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:25 pm 
Disney is not his cup of tea

I wanted an amalgam of Dark Empire and the Thrawn books
Maybe even a Shadows of the Empire thrown in for good measure!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:02 am 
Loose, Missing Package

SDcomics wrote:
Can Star Wars crossover with Guardians of the Galaxy?

Nick Fury meets Mace Windu!

A Samuel L. Jackson tour de force!

Mike
(Nah ...)

How 'bout Colonel Jones fighting alongside Captain Rogers in WWII?...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:15 am 
3 3/4"

Krypton1976 wrote:
When I heard this, in the back of my head, I started to really wish that the original actors - Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher, Harrison Ford - will reprise their roles somehow.

All three said long ago they had no interest in reprising thier roles so that has been a no go for a while.

Hamill said on Entertianment Weekly's site that Lucas told him about Ep VII in August, and that writers were working on it and Kennedy was set to direct and that he had no direct involvement. This has apparently been in the works for a while. THus it doesn't seem as rushed as we first thought.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:24 am 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Mark Hamill Talks Star Wars: Episode VII

by SuperHeroHype

October 31, 2012

As details continue to flood in regarding the just-announced Star Wars: Episode VII, EW managed to catch up with Luke Skywalker himself, Mark Hamill, who reveals that he was made aware of plans for a third trilogy last August.

"[George Lucas] asked Carrie [Fisher] and I to have lunch with him and we did," Hamill says, "I thought he was going to talk about either his retirement or the 'Star Wars' TV series that I’ve heard about — which I don’t think we were going to be involved in anyway, because that takes place between the prequels and the ones we were in and, if Luke were in them, he’d be anywhere from a toddler to a teenager so they’d get an age-appropriate actor — or the 3-D releases. So when he said, 'We decided we’re going to do Episodes VII, VIII, and IX,” I was just gobsmacked. “What? Are you nuts?!” [Laughs]"

Although Hamill learned of the plans for more films, he was as surprised as anyone at the announcement of Lucasfilm being bought by Disney when he read about it online yesterday. He also doesn't know what involvement - if any - he'll have in future Star Wars films, but he remains optimistic as a fan.

"I can see both sides of it," he says. "Because in a way, there was a beginning, a middle, and an end and we all lived happily ever after and that’s the way it should be — and it’s great that people have fond memories, if they do have fond memories. But on the other hand, there’s this ravenous desire on the part of the true believers to have more and more and more material. It’s one of those things: people either just don’t care for it or are passionate about it. I guess that defines what cult movies are all about."

Hamill reiterates that Kathleen Kennedy will be handling a lot of the work on the new films, leaving Lucas to his newfound retirement and plans for a charitable educational foundation funded by the multi-billion dollar sale.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:31 am 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

George Lucas Will Donate Most of the $4.05B From Star Wars Deal

by SuperHeroHype

November 01, 2012

George Lucas might be one of the most divisive people in film culture. Many people love him for giving us the gift of Star Wars, while others aren't exactly championing him due to the prequels, the changes to the original trilogy, and the fourth Indiana Jones. Say what you will about his film work, but you can't deny that at his core he really wants to make a difference in the world, which is why he plans on donating the majority of the money from his Lucasfilm sale to charity.

A representative from Lucasfilm told THR, "George Lucas has expressed his intention, in the event the deal closes, to donate the majority of the proceeds to his philanthropic endeavors."

"For 41 years, the majority of my time and money has been put into the company," Lucas said, "As I start a new chapter in my life, it is gratifying that I have the opportunity to devote more time and resources to philanthropy."

The sale of Lucasfilm to Disney should be finalized by the end of the year and the final dollar mark on the sale was $4.05 billion. Neither Lucas nor his representatives have said if the George Lucas Educational Foundation will be the recipient of the donation or whether he will spread it across several foundations. In the past, Lucas has donated to the Film Foundation, Stand Up To Cancer, the Make-A-Wish Foundation, and his alma mater, USC.

"I am dedicating the majority of my wealth to improving education," Lucas said in a 2010 letter to The Giving Pledge. "It is the key to the survival of the human race. We have to plan for our collective future—and the first step begins with social, emotional, and intellectual tools we provide to our children. As humans, our greatest tool for survival is our ability to think and to adapt—as educators, storytellers, and communicators our responsibility is to continue to do so."

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:17 am 

That's actually pretty classy. Good for you, George.

Now, stay FAR, FAR away from the screenplay and direction of Episode VII.

Man, Episode VII is still pretty crazy to type.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:35 pm 
Still ahead of Mudd

Fone Bone wrote:
The Original Trilogy Uncut getting a Blu-Ray release is a swell idea and so is seeing The Star Wars Holiday Special on DVD. Maybe Disney could also release series sets for Ewoks and Droids and possibly put both long out of print live-action Ewok movies back on DVD.

They cant even get their own cartoons out completely-- (Im looking at you Season 2 Part 2 of Gargoyles- and other Disney afternoon favorites..)

Why would you think they would release old cartoons from other studios, or ewok TV movies that didnt sell the first time they were released on DVD..
-- not to mention Fox still owns the rights to most of the movies (as far as release and distribution).

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:46 pm 
Still ahead of Mudd

Krypton1976 wrote:
Does anybody else wish they'd made this about 20 years ago when the actors still looked like Luke, Han and Leia?

And please tell me they dont bring Anthony Daniels back either-- C-3PO is probably the worse thing about star wars (followed up closely by Luke and Anakin.)

Nope - even as a kid I hated Luke Skywalker, the best EU stories written are the ones concerning the backstory characters (and usually those not featuring Jedi's)- The X-wing novels are the best of the best, or the Republic Commandos books, and even the long mulitnovels- the best are usually the arcs concerning everyone but Luke. Man you figure they should kill him off at some point-- hes like 80 in the books and still doing triple summersaults.-

The books/comics of the past twenty years have made the Jedi- and Luke Especially- to the point of an army of supermen (literally)-- where ever verb they perform has force put in front of it-- force breathing, force walking, force jumping, force running, force sleeping, force dreaming-- it just gets stupid.. Not to mention the fact that a dozen jedi (pooling their use of the force together)- can hurl a fleet of star destroyers-- through hyperspace mind you, a dozen light years away--
or even the force Unleashed games where he hurls tie fighters, crumples up AT-STs and pulls star destroyers from orbit.. It has become a writers crutch and ruins the whole universe--

Id prefer a whole series that takes place in the star wars universe- about either a squadron of starfighter pilots, or a bounty hunter guild, or even a similar serenity type storyline .

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:50 pm 
Disney is not his cup of tea

The name Skywalker got annoying in the RPG... if you had the name Skywalker or were of Skywalker blood your Force Points were always increased by one and your Force effects with points were enhanced beyond your afforded level. It was a bit ridiculous after a while.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:23 pm 
there were horses, and a man on fire, and I killed a guy with a trident

stewbacca wrote:
They cant even get their own cartoons out completely-- (Im looking at you Season 2 Part 2 of Gargoyles- and other Disney afternoon favorites..)

Why would you think they would release old cartoons from other studios, or ewok TV movies that didnt sell the first time they were released on DVD..
-- not to mention Fox still owns the rights to most of the movies (as far as release and distribution).

First off, what did you think of the recent news that Disney is going to be participating on Amazon's createspace MOD program? I'm betting DVD releases are coming for the rest of Gargoyles and our other TDA shows sooner rather than later.

And who says the Ewoks or Droids DVDs didn't sell well? Did I miss a Fox memo?

"I knew we'd made a mistake the minute I saw that little bologna loaf in the hospital bassinet." - Calvin's Dad.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:04 pm 
Still ahead of Mudd

Well Just from personal experiece- the Battle for endor dvds sat forever (I think I was the only one who bought it)

As far as Droids and Ewoks- -didnt say those wouldnt sell (although I didnt buy the previous release because it was just the over edited movie.) I just think the rights get messy if they are still owned by nelvana.--

I mean DIsney has their own list of unreleased items Disney fans want (although to be fair most of those are due to "stereotypes" that may offend people today.)- like several Donald Duck Cartoons, and song of the South.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:51 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Will Harrison Ford Return as Han Solo For Star Wars: Episode VII?

by SuperHeroHype

November 05, 2012

Less than a week ago, Mark Hamill revealed that George Lucas had informed both he and Carrie Fisher of plans for Star Wars: Episode VII. Today, EW is reporting that Harrison Ford is open to the idea of reprising his role as Han Solo.

Details at this stage are few and the outlet's source regarding Ford is unnamed, but the 70-year old actor is still going strong having recently starred in Cowboys & Aliens and set for upcoming appearances in Ender's Game, 42 and Paranoia. It was also only a few years ago that Ford re-teamed with George Lucas and Steven Spielberg for Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull and rumors persist that Lucasfilm's famous archaeologist may yet make fifth big screen appearance.

The only solid information on Star Wars: Episode VII at this stage, however, is the plan to see it hit theaters in summer of 2015. As always, check back for details as they become available.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:57 pm 

Hope the Falcon's got handicap rails in the john.

:lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 207 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 14  Next