Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:49 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 330 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22
 Post subject: Re: Star Wars: The Force Awakens
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:02 pm 
Factory Manager

Jim_Abell wrote:
I think that still has to go to The Phantom Menace. Yeah, there was marketing stuff everywhere for this one but it's not like walking into a store and there's a life-size Maul, Jar-Jar, Anakin or Yoda sitting there, there were three fast-food chains offering kid's meal toys and other items and there were toys everywhere (and still were two years later, but that's another story) along with just about anything else you could want to get. I know people were anticipating this one but I didn't get the feeling of giddiness from them about this one as I remember there being for Episode I.
Don't forget the first Batman movie. Merchandise everywhere. Everyone had a Batman T-Shirt back. It wasn't just stores selling the franchise to random people. It was the people who wore the T-shirts. I don't think either Phantom Menace OR The Force Awakens built up as much anticipation as far as merchandise was concerned.

As far as the actually moviegoing experience, The Phantom Menace was definitely the most anticipated movie in history. Even more than The Force Awakens. But The Phantom Menace couldn't live up to the hype and I think The Force Awakens did. So I think the "biggest" movies are Batman, TPM and TFA.

ThunderCats Wishlist: Wilykit, WilyKat, Snarf, Ma-Mutt, Jaga, Vultureman, Grune, Rataro, Hatchiman, Snowman, Termigar, Hammerhand, Capt. Cracker, Capt. Shiner, Bengali, Lynxo, Pumyra, Mongor, Safari Joe, Driller, Ro-Bear Bill, Mandora, Mumm-Ra (Mummy).

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:13 am 
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing

My son and I saw a tv commercial for the movie again recently. He looked at me and asked if it was still exciting for me.

I said Yup, and asked if he wanted to go see it again (it would be my 5th time and his 3rd).

He said, "Yes. BUT, you need to just sit down and relax. You can't get all excited and bounce in your seat. And no more crying. People will look at you cuz you are behaving weird."

Where did I go wrong in raising him?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:13 pm 
Loose, Missing Package

bnjmnrlyr wrote:
Where did I go wrong in raising him?

Hey, at least he likes the stuff... My best friend's son just turned 7 and he has no interest in anything geeky at all. Actually the kid has no interest in anything other than playing Goat Simulator and being a first-class pain in the #$%#@$%.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 7:56 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

The Force Awakens Has Now Earned $1.940 Billion Worldwide

SuperHeroHype

Jan 24, 2016

Star Wars: The Force Awakens continued its record-setting run this weekend crossing $1.940 billion globally. Earlier this week, it surpassed Jurassic World to become the 4th highest grossing film of all-time, now at $1,060.7 million. Strong international holds were highlighted by Japan, where it has held the #1 position for six consecutive weekends.

Star Wars: The Force Awakens added $14.3 million domestically in second place and $23.3 million internationally for a total of $37.6 million globally for the weekend. The J.J. Abrams-directed film has now earned $879.3 million in North America and $1.060 billion internationally for a worldwide total of $1.940 billion. Domestically, Star Wars: The Force Awakens is the #1 movie of all-time. Globally, Star Wars: The Force Awakens is the #3 movie of all-time, trailing just Titanic ($2.186 billion) and Avatar ($2.788 billion).

Here are the highlights of key international territories:

UK $173.3M
China $112.7M
Germany $103.5M
France $85.0M
Japan $80.0M
Australia $63.4M
Spain $34.6M
Italy $28.2M
Mexico $27.4M
Brazil $27.3M
Russia $25.8M
Korea $24.1M
Other $275.4M
Total $1,060.7M

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:48 am 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

The Force Awakens Passing $900M Domestically Today and $2B Worldwide Tomorrow

SuperHeroHype

Feb 05, 2016

Today, in its 50th day of release, Star Wars: The Force Awakens is expected to cross the $900 million mark at the domestic box office. It is the only film in history to reach this milestone.

In addition, on Saturday (53rd day of global release), Star Wars: The Force Awakens is expected to reach the $2 billion mark worldwide, becoming only the third film ever to do so and just the second to do it in original release.

“This is a historic moment for Star Wars, for Lucasfilm, and for Disney, and all of us here are extremely gratified to be a part of this journey with fans around the world who have made Star Wars: The Force Awakens such an extraordinary success,” said Alan Horn, Chairman, The Walt Disney Studios. “The film’s achievements are truly astounding, and it’s our great honor to relaunch this cinematic galaxy not only for all the devoted decades-long fans but for a new generation who will keep the Star Wars legacy alive for many years to come.”

Through February 4, Star Wars: The Force Awakens has earned an estimated $899.1 million domestically and $1,095.6 million internationally for a global total of $1,994.7 million. Opening internationally December 16 and domestically December 18, Star Wars: The Force Awakens posted the all-time biggest global and domestic debuts with $528.9 million and $247.9 million respectively. Over the course of its eight-week run, it has set numerous other records, including:

· Biggest domestic preview gross ($57 million)
· Biggest opening day domestically ($119.1 million)
· Biggest domestic second weekend ($149.2 million)
· Biggest domestic third weekend ($90.2 million)
· Biggest opening week domestically ($390.8 million)
· Biggest opening weekend in 18 territories: U.K. (4-day), Australia, Russia, Germany, Sweden, Norway, Finland, Austria, Poland (3-day), Denmark (5-day), Romania, Hungary, Bulgaria, Croatia, Ukraine, Iceland, Serbia, New Zealand
· Fastest film to $1B globally (12 days)
· Biggest film of all time in the U.S. and the U.K.

Directed by J.J. Abrams, written by Lawrence Kasdan & J.J. Abrams and Michael Arndt, and produced by Kathleen Kennedy, J.J. Abrams and Bryan Burk, Star Wars: The Force Awakens was named one of AFI’s top ten films of 2015 and has received five Academy Award nominations, for film editing, visual effects, sound editing, sound mixing, and for series composer John Williams’ original score.

The Star Wars Saga continues December 15, 2017, in Star Wars: Episode VIII, picking up in the wake of Star Wars: The Force Awakens. Later this year, Rogue One, a new adventure detailing events prior to Star Wars: A New Hope, takes flight on December 16, 2016.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:19 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Star Wars: The Force Awakens Crossed $2 Billion this Weekend!

SuperHeroHype

Feb 07, 2016

Walt Disney Pictures and Lucasfilm’s Star Wars: The Force Awakens added $6.9 million domestically and $7 million internationally for a global box office total of $13.9 million this weekend. The J.J. Abrams-directed film has now earned $905.9 million in North America and $1.102 billion overseas for a total of $2.008 billion. It is the #1 movie of all-time domestically, the #4 movie of all-time internationally, and the #3 movie of all-time worldwide, trailing Avatar‘s $2.788 billion and Titanic‘s $2.186 billion.

Here is how the film has performed at the global box office:

UK $177.8M
China $124.5M
Germany $107.9M
Japan $87.4M
France $87.2M
Australia $65.9M
Spain $35.6M
Italy $28.3M
Brazil $27.8M
Mexico $27.5M
Russia $25.9M
Korea $24.1M
Sweden $20.2M
Other $262.3M
Total $1,102.4M

You can view more weekend box office estimates at ComingSoon.net.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:21 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

From ComingSoon.net:

In its 10th weekend in theaters, Star Wars: The Force Awakens earned $3.8 million domestically and $2.6 million internationally for a global total of $6.4 million. The J.J. Abrams-directed film has now earned $921.6 million domestically and $1.118 billion internationally for a worldwide box office total of $2.039 billion. It is the #1 movie of all-time domestically, the fourth movie of all-time internationally, and the No. 3 movie of all-time worldwide.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:23 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Question:

Do you think that this movie will cross the billion dollar mark domestically? It only has about 78 million to go. It's going to be close.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 7:50 pm 
Loose, Missing Package

SDcomics wrote:
Question:

Do you think that this movie will cross the billion dollar mark domestically? It only has about 78 million to go. It's going to be close.

Depends on how many theaters are going to keep running it... I don't think it will, at least not in it's initial release. Can't see it lasting that long if it only brought it 3.8M this past week. That would be around 20 more weeks and there would have to be absolutely no drop off at all for each of those weeks.

Going back to movies with hype and anticipation, everyone today forgets (or has no idea) how much hype surrounded the release of Dick Tracy, or course that was the one that did not live up to any expectation.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:31 am 
Factory Manager

Jim_Abell wrote:
Depends on how many theaters are going to keep running it... I don't think it will, at least not in it's initial release. Can't see it lasting that long if it only brought it 3.8M this past week. That would be around 20 more weeks and there would have to be absolutely no drop off at all for each of those weeks.

Going back to movies with hype and anticipation, everyone today forgets (or has no idea) how much hype surrounded the release of Dick Tracy, or course that was the one that did not live up to any expectation.
The hype for Dick Tracy was manufactured precisely because of the hype for Batman. They figured if all that crazy merchandising could help Batman it would do the same for Dick Tracy, but the movie was a disappointment at the box office.

Ironically, I believe Dick Tracy IS a better movie than the original Batman. I'm still a little bit puzzled why it wasn't a bigger hit.

ThunderCats Wishlist: Wilykit, WilyKat, Snarf, Ma-Mutt, Jaga, Vultureman, Grune, Rataro, Hatchiman, Snowman, Termigar, Hammerhand, Capt. Cracker, Capt. Shiner, Bengali, Lynxo, Pumyra, Mongor, Safari Joe, Driller, Ro-Bear Bill, Mandora, Mumm-Ra (Mummy).

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:08 pm 
picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT!?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:56 pm 
Factory Manager

shishalzafrazz wrote:
WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT!?

First Batman movie sucked. Full stop. I cannot stress that enough. It looked great but it was outright awful. And Jack Nicholson wasn't playing the Joker. He was playing Jack Nicholson made up as the Joker. Michael Keaton sucked. And any movie that casts Robert Wuhl in ANYTHING is an automatic dud. Why was he even in that movie? Are there a bunch of Batman fanatics who gravitate towards unfunny comedians? And Kim Basinger? Give me a break.

Dick Tracy was not perfect. But it was also not terrible. Which is more than I can say for the first Batman.

Edit: And don't get me started on the Joker being Joe Chill. Was Tim Burton TRYING to p*ss me off?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:29 am 
picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue

I agree that Nicholson was not the Joker. I thought Michael Keaton was good enough as Batman. With Batman, you just gotta make a good Bruce Wayne. And I thought he did a great Bruce Wayne. But more than anything, it was a Tim Burton movie about Batman with a bomb ass soundtrack by His Royal Highness. I've always thought the 90's Batman movies followed the same pattern as the Reeve Superman movies: 1-awesome, 2-even awesomer, 3-yikes, no, 4-get the flimmerflog out of here.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:32 am 
Factory Manager

It had a good soundtrack too. I'll give you that. I hated Batman Returns though. Where did the crowd get all of the fruits and vegetables they pelted at the Penguin? Why wasn't Batman wearing his black eyeliner when he pulled off his mask at the end? Usually nitpicks like that are things I notice after obsessively rewatching something on DVD. Those were things I noticed watching it for the first time in the theater in 1992. They STILL bug the crap out of me.

Edit: I seem to recall the first Batman movie got lukewarm reviews from the critics. And I was one of them. All of my friends were SO psyched to see the movie, and wearing all of the batjunk. And I walked out of the theater utterly disappointed. When people started bemoaning The Phantom Menace, I was like "I already went through this ten years ago. Been there. Done that."

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:31 am 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Star Wars: The Force Awakens Blu-ray and Digital Release Dates Announced

SuperHeroHype

Mar 03, 2016

During the Walt Disney Company’s Annual Meeting of Shareholders, company CEO Bob Iger (via StarWars.com) revealed that domestic box office champion Star Wars: The Force Awakens will be available digitally on April 1 and on Blu-ray Combo Pack and DVD on April 5. Check out the Star Wars: The Force Awakens Blu-ray, DVD and Digital announcement video below, featuring all-new behind-the-scenes footage and looks at deleted scenes. You can pre-order your copy at this link.

Packaged with the film is a galaxy of bonus content that will take fans inside the making of Star Wars: The Force Awakens, including an in-depth documentary, featurettes, and more. Secrets will be revealed through extensive footage, never-before-seen deleted scenes, and exclusive interviews with the actors and filmmakers. Bonus features include*:

Secrets of The Force Awakens: A Cinematic Journey – For the first time, discover the complete story behind the making of The Force Awakens, revealed through in-depth footage and exclusive interviews with the actors and filmmakers in this feature documentary

The Story Awakens: The Table Read – Cast members familiar and new reflect on the memorable day they all first came together to read the movie’s script

Building BB-8 – See how the filmmakers brought the newest droid to the screen, creating an instant fan favorite in the Star Wars

Crafting Creatures – Watch movie magic as the filmmakers bring a cast of new creatures to life

Blueprint of a Battle: The Snow Fight – Go deeper into the epic, climactic lightsaber battle between Rey and Kylo Ren

John Williams: The Seventh Symphony – The legendary composer shares personal insights of his work on Star Wars and The Force Awakens

ILM: The Visual Magic of The Force – An insider’s look into the remarkable digital artistry of the movie’s visual effects.

Force For Change – Heroes come in all shapes and sizes. See how the Star Wars: Force for Change initiative has united Star Wars fans all over the globe to help others

-Plus Deleted Scenes.

*Digital bonus offerings may vary by retailer

Note: The 3D version of Star Wars: The Force Awakens will be available later this year.

In addition, Target has posted their exclusive packaging for the release, which you can check out below along with the interior packaging. The Target Star Wars: The Force Awakens Blu-ray Combo Pack comes with exclusive packaging and an added 20 minutes of bonus content, including never-before-seen interviews with Daisy Ridley and John Boyega and a deeper look at the movie’s costumes and weaponry.

The Walmart Star Wars: The Force Awakens Blu-ray Combo Pack comes with exclusive BB-8 packaging and an exclusive Star Wars Galactic Connexions trading disc.

The Best Buy Star Wars: The Force Awakens Blu-ray Combo Pack features exclusive SteelBook Packaging.

The film shattered box office records upon its debut, eventually grossing over $926 million domestic and $2.05 billion worldwide.

Directed by J.J. Abrams, written by Lawrence Kasdan & J.J. Abrams and Michael Arndt, and produced by Kathleen Kennedy, J.J. Abrams and Bryan Burk, Star Wars: The Force Awakens was named one of AFI’s top ten films of 2015 and received five Academy Award nominations, for film editing, visual effects, sound editing, sound mixing, and for series composer John Williams’ original score.

The Star Wars Saga continues December 15, 2017, in Star Wars: Episode VIII, picking up in the wake of Star Wars: The Force Awakens. Later this year, Rogue One, a new adventure detailing events prior to Star Wars: A New Hope, takes flight on December 16, 2016.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 330 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22