Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:45 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 207 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: Star Wars Episode VII
PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:47 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

J.J. Abrams Turned Down Star Wars: Episode VII

by SuperHeroHype

December 25, 2012

While we may get some new updates on Star Wars: Episode VII in early 2013, it won't be that Star Trek Into Darkness director J.J. Abrams will be at the helm.

Speaking to Empire magazine, Abrams said he will be sticking to the "Star Trek" franchise. "I guess the franchises could go up against each other, but I'm not thinking that far ahead! I'm a huge fan of Star Wars, Empire and Jedi, and the idea of the world continuing is exciting and will be amazing. Kathy Kennedy is a friend and there are no smarter producers. It's in great hands."

He added that "there were the very early conversations and I quickly said that because of my loyalty to Star Trek, and also just being a fan, I wouldn't even want to be involved in the next version of those things. I declined any involvement very early on. I'd rather be in the audience not knowing what was coming, rather than being involved in the minutiae of making them."

You can check out his previous quotes about "Star Wars" here. Who do you think should direct Star Wars: Episode VII?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:53 am 
there were horses, and a man on fire, and I killed a guy with a trident

SDcomics wrote:
Who do you think should direct Star Wars: Episode VII?

David Lynch.

New rule: If you don't acknowledge the existence of the federal government, then you don't get to use its Constitution.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:28 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:35 pm 
Disney is not his cup of tea

Fone Bone wrote:
SDcomics wrote:
Who do you think should direct Star Wars: Episode VII?

David Lynch.

:lol: David Lynch... Twin Peaks meets Dune

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:19 am 

Van Statten wrote:
:lol: David Lynch... Twin Peaks meets Dune

Hey, he was originally attached to Jedi. As long as he isn't writing the screenplay I'm all for it. Say what you will about him, but his movies are never boring. Which is more than I can say for The Phantom Menace or Attack Of The Clones.

New rule: If you don't acknowledge the existence of the federal government, then you don't get to use its Constitution.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:48 am 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Guillermo del Toro Was Approached for Star Wars: Episode VII

by SuperHeroHype

January 07, 2013

We've got one more name for the "no" pile of potential Star Wars: Episode VII directors. In an interview with The Playlist, director Guillermo del Toro explains the circumstances of how it almost happened.

"We got one phone call to my agent saying, 'Is Guillermo interested?' And basically I have so much stuff already of my own, and I'm pursuing stuff that I'm generating already....It was very flattering, It was just a phone call, it didn't go past that, it was very nice to be asked, but believe it or not, I'm busy enough."

Del Toro has someone in mind for it though: "I think the fans deserve somebody that is just going to immerse themselves completely. As a geek, I would have loved to see Brad Bird take it."

Unfortunately, Bird said he's not doing the new Star Wars film back in November.

Del Toro is currently working on his new film Pacific Rim, which will open in 3D, 2D and IMAX 3D theaters on July 12. Star Wars: Episode VII is scheduled to hit theaters in 2015.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:15 am 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Is Zack Snyder Planning a New Star Wars Film?

by SuperHeroHype

January 14, 2013

In what would be a surprising move, rumors at Vulture today suggest that Man of Steel director Zack Snyder is prepping for an action film set in the Star Wars universe.

The site suggests that this new, temporarily untitled film would loosely remake Akira Kurosawa's Seven Samurai, set in the past of George Lucas' sci-fi universe.

Snyder himself responded to rumors about him directing the highly-anticipated Episode VII late last year.

“I don’t think I’d be interested in directing it," Snyder told the LA Times. "I’m a huge ‘Star Wars’ fanatic. I just think doing [episodes] seven, eight and nine is just a slippery slope. It’s a whole other mythological experiment I’m excited to see, but it’s a lot of effort.”

Now it appears that Snyder's comments could have been clever misdirection, hinting at his interest in the cinematic saga without revealing that his plans are unconnected to the new trilogy.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:07 am 

Expanding the franchise like this can only be a good thing. I'm looking forward to the next trilogy but I love that Disney will be making more movies that aren't connected directly to them. The Star Wars universe is rich and vast and I'm eager to see stories set in them NOT featuring the Skywalker family whether it be the potential 1313 TV Series or this Zach Snyder film.

Now release the original trilogy on Blu-Ray.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:49 am 
3 3/4"

Fone Bone wrote:
Expanding the franchise like this can only be a good thing. I'm looking forward to the next trilogy but I love that Disney will be making more movies that aren't connected directly to them. The Star Wars universe is rich and vast and I'm eager to see stories set in them NOT featuring the Skywalker family whether it be the potential 1313 TV Series or this Zach Snyder film.

Now release the original trilogy on Blu-Ray.

Why do you keep referring to a 1313 TV series? Other than it being reported that the scripts and concepts developed for a live action series back in 2005 were used for the 1313 video game that's coming, there's been no news that I'm aware of that 1313 IS the TV series that will come to fruition whenever ABC/Disney/Lucasfilm get around to it. They could go in a completely different direction; especially now that those concepts will see the light of day in another format.

As for Snyder, his reps have already denied it and Pablo Hidalgo also had an unofficial denial (not sure he was authorized to speak formally for Lucasfilm) on Twitter.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:58 am 

UncleMarsellus wrote:
Why do you keep referring to a 1313 TV series? Other than it being reported that the scripts and concepts developed for a live action series back in 2005 were used for the 1313 video game that's coming, there's been no news that I'm aware of that 1313 IS the TV series that will come to fruition whenever ABC/Disney/Lucasfilm get around to it. They could go in a completely different direction; especially now that those concepts will see the light of day in another format.

It was reported on the Entertainment Weekly website. It could just be speculation at this point but if they already have fifty scripts written we can guess what the most likely scenario is.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:43 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Drew Struzan Approached for Star Wars: Episode VII

by SuperHeroHype

January 21, 2013

For a man who is now retired, artist Drew Struzan has nonetheless managed to recently turn out some great pieces, including a painted poster for "Being Human." Discussing the new work with Fanhattan, Struzan also revealed that he's already been contacted by Walt Disney Pictures to potentially design new art for Star Wars: Episode VII and beyond.

"Oh my god, I’m trying to be retired!" Struzan laughs. "You know, I spent 35 years painting 'Star Wars'. I painted 'Star Wars' before most of you were born! But I guess there is always a chance. There’s no intention. But I would love to have a day off every now and again, and I have to work a weekend and all through the night. If the opportunity arises, it will be a real temptation. But it’s going to have to be a real temptation to get me away from my wife and my little grandkids and my family. Away from the green trees and the blue skies for a change instead of just locked in the studio. But, you know, never say never. All things are possible."

In addition to his work with past Star Wars films, Struzan is responsible for posters for The Thing, Back to the Future, Indiana Jones, Harry Potter and many, many more.

Star Wars: Episode VII, meanwhile, is still without an officially announced director but will feature a screenplay by Michael Arndt and a planned release date of 2015.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:09 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

BREAKING: J.J. Abrams to Direct Star Wars: Episode VII!

Source: ComingSoon

January 24, 2013

Star Trek Into Darkness helmer J.J. Abrams will direct Star Wars: Episode VII for Walt Disney Pictures and Lucasfilm, reports TheWrap. The site says that Ben Affleck was also in contention.

Back in November, Abrams commented on the possibility of him directing and it sounded like it wasn't happening:

"Look, Star Wars is one of my favorite movies of all time. I frankly feel that – I almost feel that, in a weird way, the opportunity for whomever it is to direct that movie, it comes with the burden of being that kind of iconic movie and series. I was never a big Star Trek fan growing up, so for me, working on Star Trek didn’t have any of that, you know, almost fatal sacrilege, and so, I am looking forward more then anyone to the next iterations of Star Wars, but I believe I will be going as a paying moviegoer!"

TheWrap adds that Lucasfilm's Kathleen Kennedy has been courting Abrams for the director's chair for a while.

Star Wars: Episode VII is scheduled to hit theaters in 2015. Michael Arndt is writing the script. Disney and Lucasfilm are planning a new trilogy with a new movie coming every other year.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:36 pm 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

I bet that the Star Trek fans are pretty pissed right now. :lol:

This is VERY good news.

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:59 pm 
Still ahead of Mudd

Im not a 100% sure that its good news-- as he has made some stinkers as well-- and I dont always like his storytelling style or camera work..

What if the new decision is to reboot the whole franchise with a modern day cast-- just like Star Trek-with some Disney Channel Actor and actress being the new Luke and Leia-- with Seth Rogan reprising his role of Hung Solo- from Zach and Miri

I can see the scummers committing mass suicides....

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:03 pm 
Still ahead of Mudd

SDcomics wrote:
Drew Struzan Approached for Star Wars: Episode VII

by SuperHeroHype

Had to post this comment from a buddy on one of the other boards Im on

Quote:
Wow. I just looked at his website to see what he's done. It's almost every movie poster I've ever hated, including all the awful, uninspired and nonsensical Special Edition posters and the bland prequel posters and those insipid Harry Potter posters. This guy is the reason I decided to use the teaser posters for my stairwell. It's all just a melange of faces staring back at you. No imagery that grabs you or makes you wonder. So the guy can draw movie star's faces really well. Whoop-de-fracking-do.

I hope the rumor is wrong, but it looks like he's got the inside track based on his prior work. Why can't they get the guy who did the LOTR and Hobbit posters? Those have been consistently interesting and well done.

Struzan's stuff looks like it was done by the guy who works the kiosk at the trashy mall who will draw you sitting next to Al Pacino or Captain Jack Sparrow.

No offense.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 207 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 14  Next