Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:24 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 207 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: Star Wars Episode VII
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:26 am 
too much stick, not enough carrot

I dunno. I'm willing to reserve judgement at this point. He has made some stinkers, but the first Star Trek was so good I'm at the least intrigued.

DC/WB is all like "Wonder Woman's too confusing for a movie!" and Marvel/Disney is all like "Here's a raccoon with a machine gun".

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:10 am 
3 3/4"

The news is encouraging. He's a huge Star Wars fan so I'm expecting a return to a fun, fast-paced experience. Star Trek was great, and both MI3 and Super 8 were fine. Loved Lost. The news is not bad at all. He's the perfect choice in many ways.

Just kind of sad he probably won't make another Trek movie.

Last edited by UncleMarsellus on Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:40 am 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

Which stinkers are you guys referring to? He's had a pretty good track record from my point of view.

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:01 am 
3 3/4"

I think his track record as a director is good to great. Can't speak to everything he's served as producer for on TV or film.

And the dude loves Star Wars. 8)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:45 am 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Official Announcement: J.J. Abrams to Direct Star Wars: Episode VII

by SuperHeroHype

January 25, 2013

The story broke early on Thursday, but now Walt Disney Pictures and Lucasfilm have officially confirmed that J.J. Abrams will direct Star Wars: Episode VII! The statement reads as follows:

J.J. Abrams will direct Star Wars: Episode VII, the first of a new series of Star Wars films to come from Lucasfilm under the leadership of Kathleen Kennedy. Abrams will be directing and Academy Award-winning writer Michael Arndt will write the screenplay.

"It's very exciting to have J.J. aboard leading the charge as we set off to make a new Star Wars movie," said Kennedy. "J.J. is the perfect director to helm this. Beyond having such great instincts as a filmmaker, he has an intuitive understanding of this franchise. He understands the essence of the Star Wars experience, and will bring that talent to create an unforgettable motion picture."

George Lucas went on to say "I've consistently been impressed with J.J. as a filmmaker and storyteller. He's an ideal choice to direct the new Star Wars film and the legacy couldn't be in better hands."

"To be a part of the next chapter of the Star Wars saga, to collaborate with Kathy Kennedy and this remarkable group of people, is an absolute honor," J.J. Abrams said. "I may be even more grateful to George Lucas now than I was as a kid."

J.J., his longtime producing partner Bryan Burk, and Bad Robot are on board to produce along with Kathleen Kennedy under the Disney | Lucasfilm banner.

Also consulting on the project are Lawrence Kasdan and Simon Kinberg. Kasdan has a long history with Lucasfilm, as screenwriter on The Empire Strikes Back, Raiders of the Lost Ark and Return of the Jedi. Kinberg was writer on Sherlock Holmes and Mr. and Mrs. Smith.

Abrams and his production company Bad Robot have a proven track record of blockbuster movies that feature complex action, heartfelt drama, iconic heroes and fantastic production values with such credits as Star Trek, Super 8, Mission: Impossible Ghost Protocol, and this year's Star Trek Into Darkness. Abrams has worked with Lucasfilm's preeminent postproduction facilities, Industrial Light & Magic and Skywalker Sound, on all of the feature films he has directed, beginning with Mission: Impossible III. He also created or co-created such acclaimed television series as Felicity, Alias, Lost and Fringe.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:36 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

J.J. Abrams Talks Star Wars: Episode VII

by SuperHeroHype

January 28, 2013

As announced last week, J.J. Abrams will be bringing "Star Wars" back to the big screen with Star Wars: Episode VII. We're probably still a few years away from seeing anything from it, but Abrams is excited about working on the film and is committed to making this a movie we all want to see (via E! Online).

"It really is an incredible thing, It's wildly surreal. It's obviously way too early to talk specifics, but I'm excited to actually start it."

Abrams did give his goal for the film in an interview with The Huffington Post.

"I can just say what I want to do: I want to do the fans proud. I want to make sure the story is something that touches people. And we're just getting started. I'm very excited."

Star Wars: Episode VII is scheduled to hit theaters in 2015. Michael Arndt is writing the script. Disney and Lucasfilm are planning a new trilogy with a new movie coming every other year.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:55 am 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Could Yoda Get a Stand-Alone Star Wars Film?

by SuperHeroHype

February 04, 2013

Although last month's rumor of a stand-alone Star Wars film directed by Zack Snyder was immediately shot down, Ain't It Cool News has a brand new one that says that a film is being planned that will follow the adventures of Yoda. This feature, the site claims, is one of several in the works that will give famous characters solo films not directly connected to the new trilogy that will begin with J.J. Abrams' Star Wars: Episode VII.

Assuming the rumors pan out, details on what a Yoda film might entail are unclear and no talent is, as of yet, rumored to be attached.

Episode VII is scheduled to hit theaters in 2015 at the earliest, meaning that if there are plans for a Yoda film, it's likely to be some years off.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:25 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Disney Confirms Stand-Alone Star Wars Films

by SuperHeroHype

February 05, 2013

Walt Disney Pictures Chairman and CEO Bob Iger has confirmed rumors that the studio is looking at a series of Star Wars films that will see release independent of the new trilogy and that will focus on specific characters from the overall Star Wars universe.

"There has been speculation about some stand-alone films that are in development," Iger tells CNBC. "I can confirm to you today that, in fact, we are working on a few stand-alone films. Larry Kasdan and Simon Kinberg are both working on films derived from great 'Star Wars' characters that are not part of the overall saga. We still plan to make Episodes 7, 8, and 9, roughly over a six-year period of time, starting in 2015. There are going to be a few other films released in that time, too."

Iger goes on to say that Kasdan and Kingberg are serving in a consulting capacity on J.J. Abrams' Star Wars: Episode VII with Michael Arndt supplying the screenplay. Both writers are simultaneously working on new, as of yet unknown, Star Wars films.

The news arrives on the heels of yesterday's rumor that claimed the first such film would follow the adventures of Yoda. While that rumor has not been confirmed, Iger's comments suggest some truth to the reports.

UPDATE: Here is the official statement from Lucasfilm:

The Star Wars cinematic galaxy is about to experience a Big Bang. Lucasfilm is officially announcing new spinoff films that will expand the mythos and depths of the Star Wars universe in previously unexplored ways.

One of the standalone films will be written by Lawrence Kasdan, screenwriter of The Empire Strikes Back, Raiders of the Lost Ark, and co-writer of Return of the Jedi while the other will be penned by Simon Kinberg, writer of Sherlock Holmes and Mr. and Mrs. Smith. The movies will be separate from the upcoming Episodes VII, VIII, and IX, on which Kasdan and Kinberg are also consulting, and are expected to be released sometime after Episode VII. Each standalone film will focus on a specific character, and two spinoff films are currently confirmed.

In a call to investors, Bob Iger, chairman and CEO of The Walt Disney Company, revealed while the original focus was on the highly-anticipated sequel trilogy, the idea of spinoff films was bandied about early and the additional films are now becoming a reality. "We are in development of a few standalone films," he said, "that are not part of the Star Wars saga...there are now creative entities working on developing scripts for what would be those standalone films."

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:10 am 

Boba Fett.

Whether during the original trilogy, before it, after it I don't care. The character of Boba Fett could carry a movie easily.

DC/WB is all like "Wonder Woman's too confusing for a movie!" and Marvel/Disney is all like "Here's a raccoon with a machine gun".

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:30 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

New Star Wars Stand-Alone Films to Feature Boba Fett and Young Han Solo

by SuperHeroHype

February 06, 2013

Less than 24 hours after Walt Disney Pictures officially confirmed plans to develop stand-alone feature films in the Star Wars universe, EW is reporting that they have learned which two characters the first two projects will focus on: Boba Fett and a young Han Solo.

Plans for the Solo film call for it to take place in the time between the prequel trilogy and the original trilogy. No plot details have been revealed, but it's a near-certainty that a brand new actor would have to step in to play everyone's favorite scruffy looking Nerf-herder.

The adventures of Han Solo pre-A New Hope was actually the focus of one of the earliest Star Wars novels, 1979's "Han Solo at Star's End", set two years before the events of the 1977 film.

The Boba Fett film, meanwhile, would be set between A New Hope and The Empire Strikes Back and would follow the bounty hunter on an intergalactic adventure.

Both of the the films (of which Lawrence Kasdan is said to be writing one and Simon Kinberg writing the other) are tentatively planned to see release sometime after 2015 when J.J. Abrams' Episode VII is planned to hit theaters.

Previous rumors called for a stand-alone film to follow the adventures of Yoda, but that has not yet been confirmed.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:59 pm 

HAHA yes! Now this I would line up to see.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:59 am 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Lawrence Kasdan Wants New Star Wars Films to "Start Fresh"

Source: ComingSoon

February 10, 2013

Fandom abuzz in the wake of Walt Disney Pictures' recent confirmation of plans to develop stand-alone films in the Star Wars universe, The LA Times spoke with writer Lawrence Kasdan who is said to be writing one of those solo films and consulting overall on J.J. Abram's Star Wars: Episode VII.

“I’m trying to start fresh,” Kasdan explains. “There are certain pleasures that we think the saga can bring to people that they’ve been missing, and we’re hoping to bring them that, and at the same time, have them feel that it’s all new.”

Although recent rumors have suggest that Kasdan's film may follow either the adventures of a young Han Solo or those of Boba Fett, the screenwriter did not confirm the focus of his specific project. He did say, however, that it was George Lucas himself who asked that he return to the Star Wars universe.

“George sort of brought me into this part of it," he says, "and he’s stepping back from the company. He’s sort of given his blessing to everybody, and he’ll be there if you need him. I think everyone’s interested to see where this can go. It’s been some very different places over 30 years …. I think with J.J., we’ll get something entirely new.”

Star Wars: Episode VII is tentatively planned for release in 2015 with two sequels and the first of the stand-alone films following within the next six years.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:00 am 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

I think that Abrams will do an excellent job with Star Wars. A lot of his other works are great!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:12 pm 
Loose, Missing Package

The thing I think I'm dreading most about Abrams' involvement will be all of the crazy viral marketing that is sure to come with it...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:57 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Harrison Ford Returning for Star Wars: Episode VII?

by SuperHeroHype

February 15, 2013

Just a few weeks after the announcement of Star Wars: Episode VII, it was reported that Harrison Ford was open to the idea of returning as Han Solo. Now, Latino Review is reporting that the deal is complete and Ford will reprise his role as the Corellian smuggler. There is no confirmation from Disney about the actor's involvement, but check back for any updates on the story.

The 70-year-old actor is still going strong at the movies, having recently starred in Cowboys & Aliens and he's set for upcoming appearances in Ender's Game, 42 and Paranoia.

It was also reported last month that Disney is looking into creating stand-alone films set in the Star Wars universe and one of them would be about a young Han Solo. What this news means for that potential film remains to be seen.

Star Wars: Episode VII is scheduled to hit theaters in 2015. J.J. Abrams will direct the film from a script by Michael Arndt. Disney and Lucasfilm are planning a new trilogy with a new movie coming every other year.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 207 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 14  Next