It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:44 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Godzilla
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:50 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Gareth Edwards to Direct Godzilla

Source: comingsoon.net

January 4, 2011

Gareth Edwards has been named as the director for the upcoming Legendary Pictures Godzilla reboot by Heat Vision.

Edwards comes straight from the success of his kaiju-inspired Monsters, produced for a famously low six-figure budget.

Since 1954, Godzilla has appeared in dozens of films, including a previous 1998 reboot. The plan for the new film has been compared to that of Batman Begins, reinventing the character but staying true to his Japanese roots.

David Callaham (Doom, The Expendables) provided a first draft of the upcoming film but a new writer is expected to tackle a rewrite soon.

The film is planned for an unspecified 2012 release.

Post subject: Re: Godzilla Reboot
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:51 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Exclusive: Gareth Edwards Talks Godzilla Reboot!

Source: ShockTillYouDrop

February 2, 2011

Fledgling filmmaker Gareth Edwards has a behemoth task ahead of him. He's rebooting Godzilla on American shores for Legendary Pictures. For some, Edwards and Big G are a natural fit given the former's feature debut Monsters - a movie that is decidedly heavy on human drama and light on the "monsters." Still when the tentacled beasties of that film rear their heads, there's a delicious sense of spectacle that's fighting for domination with the budget Edwards had to work with.

Many are curious to see what Edwards can do with Godzilla and the money that he's allowed to play with on his sophomore effort.

"I'm a big fan," Edwards tells Shock, palpably choosing his words wisely when it comes to talking about his latest endeavor. "I guess I will say I'm highly aware - and everyone involved is incredibly aware - of everyone's opinions on what this film has to do and what it has to be. And no one will do anything but the right thing. Without addressing anything specific, everyone knows how important is to get it right."

He can't talk about the scripting process (he did reveal he's not writing the film), however, he recalls his introduction to the long-running franchise. "My earliest memories was channel 4, they showed them every Friday night. As a kid I wasn't quite sure about the dubbing, the English-dubbed versions. They threw me for a bit. I love science fiction and, well I call them B movies but they're not, but I love '60s and '70s sci-fi. But these would come on and be dubbed and it would take my kid brain to adjust to the dubbing. It took me some time to get through that."

Look for Godzilla in theaters in 2012. Monsters is on DVD and Blu-Ray this week!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:44 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

David Goyer to Write Godzilla Script

Source: ComingSoon

July 13, 2011

Deadline reports that David Goyer will write the screenplay for Legendary Pictures' Godzilla from a draft by David Callaham. Goyer has worked on Christopher Nolan's Batman trilogy and the upcoming Zack Snyder-directed Superman movie.

Toho's "Godzilla" franchise boasts one of the most widely recognized film creatures worldwide, resulting in a series of books, television programs, video games and more than 25 films worldwide. Legendary Pictures intends to approach the film and its characters in the most authentic manner possible.

Gareth Edwards will direct the Warner Bros. Pictures release, to be produced by Thomas Tull and Jon Jashni.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:51 pm 
Disney is not his cup of tea

Is this finally our appology for 1996?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:56 am 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Comic-Con 2012: Godzilla Reboot Panel is Going to Be "Sick"

by ShockTillYouDrop

June 28, 2012

Legendary Pictures will be descending on Comic-Con this year in full force. Not only is the company going to be preview Guillermo del Toro's Pacific Rim, but it will provide a sneak peek of some sort of Godzilla! That's according to our pals at Latino Review, who dropped some big Marvel news today.

Now, Legendary is taking up prime real estate at SDCC. They'll be in the coveted Hall H.

The site would not say what will be shown from Godzilla - a project that has been in development for a bit now - but that it was going to be "sick."

Gareth Edwards of Monsters is directing. I'm guessing that they'll either be showing off some concept art or pre-viz FX perhaps...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:52 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Comic-Con: Godzilla Teaser Screened and Poster Revealed

Source: ComingSoon

July 14, 2012

Legendary Pictures today screened the first teaser trailer for Gareth Edwards' Godzilla of which you can read a description in our live blog, and the company has also given us a first look at the teaser poster for the anticipated film.

There's no release date yet for the film, but you can click on the poster below for a bigger version.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:08 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

New Godzilla Movie to be 'Realistic'

by SuperHeroHype

October 06, 2012

Based on what we heard about the footage screened for Godzilla at this year's Comic-Con, it sounded unlike any Godzilla movie we've really seen before and the director of the new film, Gareth Edwards, aims to keep it that way.

When talking to Total Film (via Coventry Telegraph), Edwards said: "I've always been interested in Godzilla and the ideas around him. I really wanted to see another Godzilla film and jumped at the opportunity. My main idea was to imagine 'If this really happened, what would it be like?' I want to take a grounded, realistic approach to a Godzilla film."

They also asked him about getting the visual effects and creature design right and he had a unique answer: "I've never worked this hard, this long and been this emotionally involved in something that's lasted only a few seconds since the time I lost my virginity! But the reaction has been amazing and I can't wait for the fans to see our final product."

Edwards will direct from a screenplay originally drafted by David Callaham (The Expendables), David S. Goyer (The Dark Knight) and Max Borenstein (The Seventh Son).

Toho's Godzilla franchise boasts one of the most widely recognized film creatures worldwide, resulting in a series of books, television programs, video games and more than 25 films worldwide. Legendary's Thomas Tull and Jon Jashni will produce, along with Roy Lee, Dan Lin and Brian Rogers. Alex Garcia and Patricia Whitcher will serve as executive producers alongside Doug Davison, Yoshimitsu Banno and Kenji Okuhira.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:28 am 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Producer Talks Godzilla Remake

by SuperHeroHype

December 20, 2012

We haven't heard much about Godzilla since the teaser trailer premiered at Comic-Con (read our reaction to it here) this summer, but it won't be long before we start seeing more.

"We’re planning to film in March," producer Dan Lin told Collider. "We are in deep pre-production. Gareth [Edwards] has really mapped out his vision for the movie, you saw the teaser, but Gareth thanks to Thomas Tull’s help he took over a whole stage on the Warner Brothers lot and not only showed the teaser you saw, he had some models built of Godzilla, he had art decorated all over the soundstage, he had pre-vis of some of the big action sequences in the movie. So we’re in deep pre-production and Gareth’s vision of the movie is really exciting it’s a true re-boot of Godzilla. And you saw from the Comic-Con footage it is a grounded, realistic version of Godzilla. What would happen if Godzilla came into our world today?"

When asked if the film would take place in any Asian countries he answered, "I don’t want to give any plot details right now; I want you guys to be surprised."

Edwards will direct from a screenplay originally drafted by David Callaham (The Expendables), David S. Goyer (The Dark Knight) and Max Borenstein (Seventh Son).

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:01 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Frank Darabont Rewriting Godzilla Reboot

by SuperHeroHype

January 07, 2013

Some pretty big shake ups are happening over at the camp for the Godzilla reboot, but among the most interesting is that former The Walking Dead showrunner Frank Darabont will be doing the final rewrite of the screenplay for the film (via Deadline). The first drafts of the script were written by Seventh Son writer Max Borenstein and it was previously rewritten by Drew Pearce (Iron Man 3).

Darabont is no stranger to writing scripts about monsters having penned 2007's The Mist, Kenneth Branagh's Frankenstein, and the remake of The Blob.

Gareth Edwards (Monsters) will direct the reboot, which is slated to hit 3D and 2D theaters on May 16, 2014. Filming is expected to begin in March.

Toho's Godzilla franchise boasts one of the most widely recognized film creatures worldwide, resulting in a series of books, television programs, video games and more than 25 films worldwide. Legendary Pictures has said that they intend to approach the film and its characters in the most authentic manner possible.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:32 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Aaron Johnson Eyed for Godzilla

by SuperHeroHype

January 10, 2013

Plans are moving rapidly for Gareth Edward's reboot of the Godzilla franchise. Following word earlier this week that Frank Darabont will be rewriting the screenplay comes news, via Deadline, that star Aaron Johnson is being sought for a leading role.

Set for release on May 16, 2014, Godzilla is based on the classic monster from Toho Co., Ltd. One of the most widely recognized movie monsters worldwide, Godzilla has been featured in more than 25 films, multiple television programs, video games and book series. Legendary, which has been developing the film project, and its partner Warner Bros. is planning to return the character to its epic roots with a gritty, realistic actioner.

Johnson, who recently appeared in Savages and Anna Karenina, also played the title role in 2010's Kick-Ass and will soon reprise the part for the upcoming sequel.

A presentation of Warner Bros. Pictures and Legendary Pictures, the film will be distributed worldwide by Warner Bros. Pictures, a Warner Bros. Entertainment Company, except in Japan, where it will be distributed by Toho Co., Ltd. The tentpole film is expected to be presented in 3D.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:47 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Frank Darabont Talks Godzilla

by SuperHeroHype

January 22, 2013

It was announced earlier this month that Frank Darabont has joined Gareth Edward's upcoming Godzilla as a screenwriter. Today, in an interview with io9, Darabont speaks about what he hopes to bring to the reimagined franchise.

"What I found very interesting about Godzilla is that he started off definitely as a metaphor for Hiroshima and Nagasaki," he explains. "And some of the atom bomb testing we were doing in the South Pacific in the subsequent years. The giant terrifying force of nature that comes and stomps the s--t out of your city, that was Godzilla… What we're trying to do with the new movie is not have it camp, not have it be campy. We're kind of taking a cool new look at it. But with a lot of tradition in the first film. We want this to be a terrifying force of nature. And what was really cool, for me, is there was a very compelling human drama that I got to weave into it. It's not that cliched, thinly disguised romance or bromance, or whatever. It's different, it's a different set of circumstances than you're used to seeing."

Darabont goes on to explain that, while there's an updated allegory for the new take on Godzilla, he's hesitant to explain what he considers it to be because he doesn't want to alter the interpretation of moviegoers. You can read the full interview by clicking here.

Godzilla is slated to hit theaters May 16, 2014.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:18 am 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Bryan Cranston and Elizabeth Olsen Eye Godzilla

by SuperHeroHype

February 06, 2013

New casting information is dropping with regard to Gareth Edward's reboot of the Godzilla franchise. Variety reports that both Bryan Cranston and Elizabeth Olsen are now in talks to join the May 16, 2014 release. The previously rumored Aaron Johnson is also said to still be in contention for a role.

Based on the classic monster from Toho Co., Ltd, Godzilla is one of the most widely recognized movie monsters worldwide, having been featured in more than 25 films, multiple television programs, video games and book series. Legendary, which has been developing the film project, and its partner Warner Bros. is planning to return the character to its epic roots with a gritty, realistic actioner.

Cranston, best known for his leading role on AMC's "Breaking Bad," was recently on the big screen in Len Wiseman's reboot of Total Recall and Ben Affleck's Oscar-nominated Argo. Olsen, meanwhile, debuted in 2011's Silent House and Martha Marcy May Marlene. She will soon be back on the big screen in Spike Lee's Oldboy.

A presentation of Warner Bros. Pictures and Legendary Pictures, the film will be distributed worldwide by Warner Bros. Pictures, a Warner Bros. Entertainment Company, except in Japan, where it will be distributed by Toho Co., Ltd. The tentpole film is expected to be presented in 3D.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:12 am 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Elizabeth Olsen Hints at Godzilla's Somber Tone

by SuperHeroHype

February 10, 2013

Word broke just days ago that Elizabeth Olsen was up for a role in Gareth Edward's upcoming reboot of the Godzilla franchise and, today, Olsen confirmed her involvement in the project on the BAFTA red carpet.

"It's definitely not lighthearted," Olsen says of Edwards' take. "It's kind of going back to its roots of the original Japanese film."

The 1954 original was directed by Ishirô Honda and the Godzilla character (originally Gojira) was designed to serve as an allegory for nuclear weapons. Especially compared to some of the campier sequels that would follow, Godzilla is a decidedly somber film and it appears that that tone will be emulated in Edwards' version.

Likely to also star Bryan Cranston and Aaron Johnson, Godzilla hits theaters May 16, 2014.

Check out the full Elizabeth Olsen interview in the player below:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:51 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Another Behind-the-Scenes Image From Godzilla

by SuperHeroHype

April 30, 2013

Like the previous image released by Legendary Entertainment, this new behind-the-scenes shot from the upcoming Godzilla reboot is heavy on production design and light on giant radioactive lizards. Captioned with "Be prepared," the image shows what is a hazmat team presumably getting ready to go out into the field. Perhaps Godzilla has made a mess of things again. Check it out below.

Directed by Gareth Edwards, the May 16, 2014 release stars Aaron Taylor-Johnson, Ken Watanabe, Elizabeth Olsen, Juliette Binoche, David Strathairn, Bryan Cranston and Sally Hawkins.

Click on the image for a bigger version!

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 12:24 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Gareth Edwards Offers Update From Set of Godzilla

by SuperHeroHype

May 16, 2013

Legendary Entertianment has released a new set video from their upcoming Godzilla reboot featuring director Gareth Edwards. The occasion? Today marks one year until the film will be released in theaters. Check it out below!

The Warner Bros. Pictures and Legendary Pictures film stars Aaron Taylor-Johnson, Ken Watanabe, Elizabeth Olsen, Juliette Binoche, David Strathairn and Bryan Cranston and features a screenplay by Max Borenstein, Frank Darabont and Dave Callaham. Legendary's Thomas Tull and Jon Jashni are producing with Mary Parent and Brian Rogers. Alex Garcia and Patricia Whitcher are serving as executive producers alongside Yoshimitsu Banno and Kenji Okuhira.

Opening May 16, 2014, Godzilla is expected to be presented in 3D.