Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:56 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Star Wars Spinoff Film 2016
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 1:09 am 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Gareth Edwards to Direct the 2016 Star Wars Spinoff Film!

SuperHeroHype

May 22, 2014

Godzilla director Gareth Edwards is attached to direct one of the upcoming Star Wars spinoff films, which will feature a screenplay by Gary Whitta and is now set to hit theaters December 16, 2016! The official announcement reads as follows:

In addition to the episodes of a new "Star Wars" trilogy, Lucasfilm and Disney have begun development on multiple stand-alone movies that will offer new stories beyond the core Saga. Gareth Edwards will direct the first stand-alone film, with a screenplay by Gary Whitta. The film is due out December 16, 2016.

Gareth Edwards blazed into the filmmaking forefront with his acclaimed work on "Monsters," a film he wrote, directed and served on as cinematographer and visual effects artist. The skill and vision readily apparent in "Monsters" earned him the high-profile spot directing this year's smash hit "Godzilla".

"Ever since I saw Star Wars I knew exactly what I wanted to do for the rest of my life – join the Rebel Alliance! I could not be more excited & honored to go on this mission with Lucasfilm, said Edwards.

Gary Whitta's screenwriting credits include 2010s "The Book of Eli" starring Denzel Washington. He is also well known as a journalist and editor in the video game industry, as well as part of the BAFTA award-winning team on Telltale Games adaptation of "The Walking Dead".

Whitta states, "From the moment I first saw the original movie as a wide-eyed kid, "Star Wars" has been the single most profound inspiration to my imagination and to my career as a writer. It is deeply special to me,so to be given the opportunity to contribute to its ongoing legacy, especially in collaboration with a film-maker as talented as Gareth,is literally a dream come true. I'm still pinching myself."

Star Wars: Episode VII, meanwhile, is set to star John Boyega, Daisy Ridley, Adam Driver, Oscar Isaac, Andy Serkis, Domhnall Gleeson, and Max von Sydow in addition to original cast members Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher, Mark Hamill, Anthony Daniels, Peter Mayhew, and Kenny Baker. It will open in wide release on December 18, 2015.

Post subject: Re: Star Wars Spinoff Film 2016
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:52 am 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Chris Weitz Boards Gareth Edwards’ Standalone Star Wars Film

SuperHeroHype

Jan 26, 2015

Following the departure of formerly-attached screenwriter Gary Whitta earlier this month, Walt Disney Pictures and Lucasfilm have, according to a story today at The Hollywood Reporter, set Academy Award nominee Chris Weitz to work on the screenplay for the first standalone Star Wars film. Godzilla helmer Gareth Edwards remains attached to direct the project, which is scheduled for a December 16, 2016 release.

Weitz launched his screenwriting career with the 1998 animated comedy Antz. He’s best known, however, for his Oscar-nominated work adapting Nick Hornby’s About a Boy in 2002, a film that he also directed. Other directorial credits include The Golden Compass in 2007 and The Twilight Saga: New Moon in 2009. As a screenwriter, Weitz’s work can next be seen in Walt Disney Pictures’ live-action take on Cinderella, directed by Kenneth Branagh and slated for a March 13 release.

Although the mysterious Star Wars film has been rumored to follow a heist involving the theft of the Death Star plans, few official details regarding Edwards’ film have been made available. The project appears to be close to the casting stage, however, with a report from last week suggesting that actresses like Tatiana Maslany, Felicity Jones and Kate and Rooney Mara have all read for a potential role.

Post subject: Re: Star Wars Spinoff Film 2016
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:07 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Felicity Jones Eyed for Gareth Edwards’ Standalone Star Wars Film

SuperHeroHype

Feb 03, 2015

Although we’re still more than ten months away from the release of the hotly-anticipated “saga” entry Star Wars: The Force Awakens, casting is already underway on Walt Disney Pictures and Lucasfilm Ltd.’s first Star Wars spinoff feature, set to be directed by Godzilla helmer Gareth Edwards. Today, The Hollywood Reporter brings an exciting update that suggests that Academy Award-nominated actress Felicity Jones (The Theory of Everything, The Amazing Spider-Man 2) is in talks to star!

Although the mysterious Star Wars film has been rumored to follow a heist involving the theft of the Death Star plans, few official details regarding Edwards’ film have been made available. This isn’t the first time we’ve heard Jones’ name connected to the project, however. A recent report suggested that the actress was auditioning against the likes of Rooney Mara and Tatiana Maslany. Now said to be in the running for the male lead, however, are “Breaking Bad” star Aaron Paul and Deliver Us From Evil‘s Edgar Ramirez.

This news arrives just one week after the project added Academy Award nominee Chris Weitz to work on the screenplay, rewriting an initial draft by Gary Whitta (The Book of Eli, After Earth).

The film, still without an official title, is set for release on December 16, 2016. Check back for more updates from a galaxy far, far away as they develop.