It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:10 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Independence Day 2
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:01 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Roland Emmerich Eyes Another Independence Day and More Stargate

Source: ComingSoon

July 9, 2012

It's been some time since his Stargate and Independence Day hit theaters in the 1990s, but director Roland Emmerich today tells The Hollywood Reporter that both sci-fi properties could be headed back to the big screen.

Independence Day, which is slated for a 3D re-release on July 3rd of next year, would go the sequel route and Emmerich has been working with his former creative partner Dean Devlin to get the story together.

"[C]reatively, for the very first time since we did the original, I feel we have a worthy concept, a worthy path to go," he says. "...Whether or not we can make this happen, if we can get all the pieces to come together, that’s gonna be challenging."

Plans for Stargate, meanwhile, are bit less distinct. "Stargate has always had this empty hole," he adds. "When we made the first one, we always intended on doing part two and three, and we were prevented for years. And our hope is that we can get another chance at Stargate and tell the entire story we wanted to tell."

Emmerich's next, White House Down, is set to star Channing Tatum, Jamie Foxx and Maggie Gyllenhaal and deals with a paramilitary takeover of the White House. Today, Variety revealed that James Woods is in talks to join the cast, playing the head of the President's secret service detail.

Post subject: Re: Independence Day 2
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:06 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Exclusive: Dean Devlin Updates on Independence Day 2

Source: ComingSoon

July 27, 2012

ComingSoon.net hit the red carpet for the 2012 Saturn Awards earlier tonight and had the chance to chat with Independence Day producer Dean Devlin about the recent news that a sequel for the film might just be on the way. It sounds like it's a strong possibility.

"I hope so," says Devlin. "I can't say that it's going to happen, but I can say for the first time that for the first time in eleven years, Roland Emmerich and I are working together. There are a lot of moving pieces that are coming together. I don't know if it will come together, but we want it to happen. This is the first time since we made the original that Roland and I are excited about doing it and feeling like we have the right idea and we have our fingers crossed."

So, how much pressure did they get to do a sequel to the 1996 blockbuster?

"We felt enormous pressure," he tells us. "Over the years everyone has always asked us about it. We never wanted to do it unless it felt germane to the story. In fact, ten years ago I was hired to write a sequel to 'Independence Day' and they paid me a lot of money. After I finished the script, I gave the money back and I said, "Don't even read the script. The script is okay, but we can't make an okay sequel to 'Independence Day.'" This is what gave me a career. The fans deserve better than this. And I really decided then that I was never going to do a sequel. Until about a year and a half ago when Roland called me up and said, 'Let's try again.' So we went out to Palm Springs and we cracked it. We said, 'That's a real sequel. That's a sequel that makes sense to do. That's a sequel that won't disappoint the fans. That one feels like we always intended to do that in the first place.' So I want it to happen. I don't know if it will."

CraveOnline got a chance to speak to Devlin as well, an interview in which he specifically says that Independence Day sequel will address the original film's biggest plot hole. You can check that out here.

The original film, meanwhile, is slated for a 3D re-release on July 3, 2013.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:29 am 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Independence Day Sequels to be 3D and... Lovable?

by SuperHeroHype

September 12, 2012

Even though it's been 16 years since the release of Roland Emmerich's Independence Day, the talk of sequels is hotter now than it has ever been. According to an interview with FilmStarts (seen here via Bleeding Cool) the sequels will be a 'package' deal coming in the form of ID Forever - Part 1 and ID Forever - Part 2. The films will also be post converted into 3D even though Emmerich himself says he remains a '3D skeptic.'

It might still take a while for the sequels to see the light of day though, as Emmerich says, "It's a tough battle between the studio and the actors. But you have a right idea, which was quite unique, and it is therefore worth it to keep trying."

In another interview with Total Film, co-writer Dean Devlin talked about how they watched the original film again and how that has shaped their perception of making the sequel.

"The thing that really hit me about the movie is how much love there is in it: between the characters; that the filmmakers had making it; that the cast had for each other. As we're approaching a sequel we're focusing on that aspect of it. Because I think that was really the key as to why it worked for everyone. It was lovable."

We're not sure that lovable is the word we would use. Would you want to see two sequels to the blockbuster film?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:21 am 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Bill Pullman Says Independence Day 2 Could Move Forward Without Will Smith

by SuperHeroHype

January 09, 2013

Bill Pullman is stepping back into a fictional Oval Office, starring as the President of the United States in the new NBC comedy "1600 Penn." Today, CraveOnline caught up with the actor and managed to get an update on Pullman's other famous Presidential role, that of Thomas Whitmore in Independence Day. Pullman says that the long-awaited sequel to the 1996 film could soon finally see the light of day and that plans are being made to tackle the story with or without Will Smith's involvement.

“The Will Smith part of it may be ongoing," Pullman says, "but I think there’s strategies for both. I like what I have to do in both of them. I’m not in an old age home in a wheelchair being wheeled out for one more moment. It’s a very interesting conception of what happens to Whitmore between then and when it picks back up.”

Pullman goes on to say that production on a sequel could begin "within a year" and that there should be no problem shooting around his "1600 Penn" schedule. Although optimistic, the actor remains somewhat cautious about the project's chances.

"Nobody’s holding their breath," he says, "because it’s been continually plagued.”

You can check out ComingSoon.net's recent conversation with producer Dean Devlin regarding the sequel by clicking here.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:42 am 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

20th Century Fox Sets Dates for Independence Day 2, Assassin's Creed, Apes and X-Men!

by SuperHeroHype

June 20, 2013

20th Century Fox has announced some big release dates today!

First up, the studio has dated Independence Day 2 for July 3, 2015. Roland Emmerich and Dean Devlin will again be bringing the aliens to theaters then.

The studio has also moved back their video game adaptation Assassin's Creed, starring Michael Fassbender, from May 22, 2015 to June 19, 2015.

Moving forward to next year, 20th Century Fox has swapped the dates for X-Men: Days of Future Past and Dawn of the Planet of the Apes. X-Men: Days of Future Past will now hit theaters two months earlier on May 23, 2014 and Dawn of the Planet of the Apes is coming two months later on July 18, 2014.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:42 am 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Independence Day 2 Script Features Returning Cast Members, But No Will Smith

by SuperHeroHype

June 22, 2013

Following word this week of an official July 3, 2015 release date for 20th Century Fox's Independence Day 2, director Roland Emmerich has dropped a few hints about what to expect from the much-anticipated sequel.

"Will Smith cannot come back because he's too expensive," Emmerich told NY Daily News while promoting his latest, White House Down, "but he'd also be too much of a marquee name. It would be too much."

The 1996 original also starred talent like Bill Pullman, Jeff Goldblum, Randy Quaid, Mary McDonnell, Brent Spiner, James Duval and Vivica A. Fox. Although it's not specified as to exactly who might return for the sequel, Emmerich confirms that a number of the original film's characters appear in the script by Dean Devlin and himself.

"We have like maybe half of the people that you would know from the first film," he says, "and the other half are people who are new."

Pullman confirmed earlier this year that plans call for the return of his character, Thomas Whitmore, but no talent has been officially locked as of yet.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:50 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

From IGN:

Independence Day 2 Will Feature a Gay Character

Director also confirms Bill Pullman will be back for the sequel.

by Max Nicholson

June 25, 2013

Filmmaker and known LGBT activist Roland Emmerich recently confirmed that there will be a gay character in his upcoming Independence Day sequel.

As someone who's been following the recent developments in the Supreme Court concerning same-sex marriage, Emmerich was recently asked by The Huffington Post if he might incorporate gay rights issues into his future films. In response, the director said, "Actually in the next Independence Day there is a gay character."

Emmerich didn't go into further detail about the role, although he did confirm, on an unrelated note, that Bill Pullman would indeed be returning for the followup.

Independence Day 2 -- tentatively titled ID Forever Part One -- is scheduled to hit theaters on July 3, 2015.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:21 am 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Will Smith May Return for Independence Day Sequel

by SuperHeroHype

September 05, 2013

When Independence Day 2 was officially announced in June, director Roland Emmerich said that Will Smith would not return. Now, in an interview with Digital Spy, Emmerich says that he's scheduled to have a meeting with Smith about reprising his role in the sequel.
"I sometimes say no, Will Smith will not be in it because he didn't want to do it at first. Now we have a meeting planned, we want to talk about it again. Anything can happen," said the filmmaker.

Little is known about the film's plot or cast, especially who might return for the sequel. Emmerich confirmed that a number of the original film's characters appear in the script by Dean Devlin and himself. The 1996 original also starred Bill Pullman, Jeff Goldblum, Randy Quaid, Mary McDonnell, Brent Spiner, James Duval and Vivica A. Fox.

The sequel is set for a release on July 3, 2015.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:19 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Roland Emmerich Details Plans for Independence Day 2

by SuperHeroHype

September 17, 2013

It's been nearly two decades since director Roland Emmerich's Independence Day hit the big screen and it's looking like a sequel is finally coming together. In a new conversation with Empire, Emmerich discussed his plans for the 20th Century Fox project.

"I should get the script pretty soon," says Emmerich of the Independence Day followup. "Then I'll try to get it into good shape for one or two months and, if that happens, we'll announce it and start production… We've created a mythology around these aliens, which is really cool. You have to create a mythology because people want to see a bigger picture."

As he's previously stated, Emmerich would like to see the world of Independence Day continue past the first sequel, which is set to end on a cliffhanger of sorts.

"We'll only do the first part," he says of his current plans, "because we want to have the audience decide if they want to see the second. Otherwise it feels arrogant. But I'm pretty confident, with the right script…"

Although Independence Day 2 has been announced for a July 3, 2015 release, Emmerich is quick to point out that that date is not set in stone and, depending on how things come together, the film may wind up claiming an alternate release date.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:07 am 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Michael B. Jordan to Star in Independence Day 2?

by SuperHeroHype

September 26, 2013

Director Roland Emmerich is eyeing Fruitvale Station and Chronicle star Michael B. Jordan for a major role in 20th Century Fox's Independence Day 2, according to TheWrap.

The site says the actor "has met with director Roland Emmerich and is highly regarded on the Fox lot." Jordan has not received an offer yet and official casting, they say, is not expected to happen until closer to the holidays.

The actor may play the Human Torch in Fox's Fantastic Four reboot as well.

While it is not certain whether Will Smith will return, Emmerich previously said that they had a meeting planned. Jeff Goldblum and Bill Pullman are expected to reprise their roles, however.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:25 am 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Two Scripts Have Been Written for Independence Day 2

by SuperHeroHype

October 24, 2013

It's still unknown whether or not Will Smith is planning on reprising his Independence Day role as Captain Steven Hiller in Roland Emmerich's upcoming big screen sequel but, as Emmerich tells Indiewire today, two scripts have been made ready so that the production can proceed with or without Smith's involvement.

"It's looking good," Emmerich acknowledges, however, regarding the star's participation.

Little is known about the film's plot or cast, especially who else might return for the sequel. Emmerich confirmed that a number of the original film's characters appear in the script(s) by Dean Devlin and himself. The 1996 original also starred Bill Pullman, Jeff Goldblum, Randy Quaid, Mary McDonnell, Brent Spiner, James Duval and Vivica A. Fox.

Independence Day 2 is set for a release on July 3, 2015.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:35 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Independence Day 2 Moves to 2016

by SuperHeroHype

November 12, 2013

Roland Emmerich's Independence Day 2 has been moved back by nearly a year. Previously set to hit the big screen on July 3, 2015, the sci-fi action sequel will now hit the big screen on July 1, 2016.

It's still unknown whether or not Will Smith is planning on reprising his Independence Day role as Captain Steven Hiller for the sequel, although Emmerich recently confirmed that scripts have been written both with and without Hiller in them.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:29 am 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Will Smith is Not Returning for the Independence Day Sequel

SuperHeroHype

Feb 07, 2014

There was some hope last September that Will Smith would reprise his role of Captain Steven Hiller in director Roland Emmerich's upcoming Independence Day 2, but that won't be the case.

Deadline has learned that Emmerich and co-writer and producer Dean Devil will have to take on the aliens without Smith, as he has informed 20th Century Fox he won't be joining the sequel, which is scheduled for a July 1, 2016 release. That date marks the 20th anniversary of the 1996 original, which grossed $817.4 million worldwide.

It doesn't mean the movie won't be made, however. Emmerich and Devlin wrote two different versions of the movie – one with Smith and one without him. James Vanderbilt has since been working on the two separate scripts.

Emmerich previously confirmed that a number of the original film's characters appear in the scripts. The 1996 original also starred Bill Pullman, Jeff Goldblum, Randy Quaid, Mary McDonnell, Brent Spiner, James Duval and Vivica A. Fox.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:42 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Jeff Goldblum Back for Independence Day 2 But Not Jurassic World

SuperHeroHype

Feb 27, 2014

While talking to The Huffington Post about his role in Wes Anderson's upcoming The Grand Budapest Hotel, Jeff Goldblum was asked about whether or not he wanted to return to the "Jurassic Park" franchise with the upcoming Jurassic World.

Ian Malcolm may have been one of the most popular characters from the first two movies, but as one might expect, the casting for the upcoming reboot seems to be set in place and they seem to be getting away from the characters that appeared in the first three movies. Goldblum told them that he was never called to appear in Jurassic Park III either, but that he was happy with the two movies he did.

More importantly, Goldblum also confirmed what Roland Emmerich had been saying last year about bringing his character David Levinson back for Independence Day 2:

"Yeah, they've talked to me about it and I've talked to them about it and they're excited and I'm anxious and eager to see — I haven't read anything — what they cook up. You know, I think they're trying to put it together."

Look for more news on both of these anticipated sequels to popular '90s blockbusters in the coming months.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 12:59 am 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Independence Day 2 to Receive Carter Blanchard Rewrite

SuperHeroHype

May 28, 2014

Independence Day 2 is set for a rewrite today as Variety reports that Carter Blanchard (the upcoming Spy Hunter) has boarded the project, taking over a draft by James Vanderbilt.

To be directed by Roland Emmerich, Independence Day 2 is set for release on July 1, 2016. That date marks the 20th anniversary of the 1996 original, which grossed $817.4 million worldwide.

Emmerich previously confirmed that a number of the original film's characters appear in the script with Jeff Goldlum having already confirmed his involvement. Will Smith, however, has stated that he will not be back. Bill Pullman, Randy Quaid, Mary McDonnell, Brent Spiner, James Duval and Vivica A. Fox also starred in the original.