Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Fri May 29, 2015 12:44 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Official: Spider-Man Enters the Marvel Cinematic Universe!
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:19 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

It’s Official: Spider-Man Enters the Marvel Cinematic Universe!

SuperHeroHype

Feb 09, 2015

Sony Pictures Entertainment and Marvel Studios officially announced today that Sony is bringing Marvel into the amazing world of Spider-Man! Under a new deal, a new Spider-Man will first appear in a currently-unspecified Marvel film within the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Sony Pictures will thereafter release the next installment of its $4 billion Spider-Man franchise, on July 28, 2017, in a film that will be co-produced by Kevin Feige and his expert team at Marvel and Amy Pascal, who oversaw the franchise launch for the studio 13 years ago. Together, they will collaborate on a new creative direction for the web slinger. Sony Pictures will continue to finance, distribute, own and have final creative control of the Spider-Man films.

Marvel and Sony Pictures are also exploring opportunities to integrate characters from the MCU into future Spider-Man films.

The new relationship follows a decade of speculation among fans about whether Spider-Man – who has always been an integral and important part of the larger Marvel Universe in the comic books – could become part of the Marvel Universe on the big screen. Spider-Man has more than 50 years of history in Marvel’s world, and with this deal, fans will be able to experience Spider-Man taking his rightful place among other super heroes in the MCU.

“Spider-Man is one of Marvel’s great characters,” says Bob Iger, Chairman and CEO, The Walt Disney Company, “beloved around the world. We’re thrilled to work with Sony Pictures to bring the iconic web-slinger into the Marvel Cinematic Universe, which opens up fantastic new opportunities for storytelling and franchise building.”

“We always want to collaborate with the best and most successful filmmakers to grow our franchises and develop our characters. Marvel, Kevin Feige and Amy, who helped orchestrate this deal, are the perfect team to help produce the next chapter of Spider-Man,” said Michael Lynton, Chairman and CEO of Sony Pictures Entertainment. “This is the right decision for the franchise, for our business, for Marvel, and for the fans.”

“Sony Pictures and Marvel Studios share a love for the characters in the Spider-Man universe and have a long, successful history of working together. This new level of collaboration is the perfect way to take Peter Parker’s story into the future,” added Doug Belgrad, president, Sony Pictures Entertainment Motion Picture Group.

“I am thrilled to team with my friends at Sony Pictures along with Amy Pascal to produce the next Spider-Man movie,” said Marvel Studios President Kevin Feige. “Amy has been deeply involved in the realization on film of one of the world’s most beloved characters. Marvel’s involvement will hopefully deliver the creative continuity and authenticity that fans demand from the MCU. I am equally excited for the opportunity to have Spider-Man appear in the MCU, something which both we at Marvel, and fans alike, have been looking forward to for years.”

Spider-Man, embraced all over the world, is the most successful franchise in the history of Sony Pictures, with the five films having taken in more than $4 billion worldwide.

As a result of the new deal, Thor: Ragnarok will now arrive nearly four months later than planned, moving to November 3, 2017 (from July 28). Black Panther, which previously held that spot, gets delayed eight months, going from that original November 3 date to July 6, 2018. That, in turn, bumps Captain Marvel to November 2, 2018 and moves Inhumans all the way to July 12, 2019. The two-part Avengers: Infinity War, meanwhile, remains set for release May 4, 2018 and May 3, 2019.

Post subject: Re: Official: Spider-Man Enters the Marvel Cinematic Univers
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:14 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Image Image

Beer and pizza's on me, lads.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:24 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

You wait your whole life for something to happen and after awhile you think "Wow, that's never gonna happen" and then it finally happens and you're like "Wow, that really happened!".

Wait. What?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:11 am 
there were horses, and a man on fire, and I killed a guy with a trident

I mean, Spider-Man would obviously debut in civil war, right?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:19 am 
An Insider

The key to this working out is Sony realizing that Marvel pretty much knows what they are doing and letting them do what they do best. Translate their properties to screen. As of late, I don't think Sony can say that they have successfully gotten Spiderman translated. I just hope it doesn't end up a pissing contest. Overall though, it is incredible news. I would definitely say that they are going to rewrite Civil War to fit Spider-man in (If they didn't do it in the first place), and hopefully he will have a good sized role in The Infinity War as well.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:30 am 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Veil1 wrote:
The key to this working out is Sony realizing that Marvel pretty much knows what they are doing and letting them do what they do best. Translate their properties to screen. As of late, I don't think Sony can say that they have successfully gotten Spiderman translated. I just hope it doesn't end up a pissing contest. Overall though, it is incredible news. I would definitely say that they are going to rewrite Civil War to fit Spider-man in (If they didn't do it in the first place), and hopefully he will have a good sized role in The Infinity War as well.

It appears you are correct, sir. The Wall Street Journal is now reporting that Spider-Man will indeed make his MCU debut in Civil War. They're also saying that their sources are telling them that the Sinister Six movie is still happening.

Click here.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:14 am 
Variant Head

With The Amazing Spider-Man 2 Marc Webb single-handedly killed off Garfield's Spider-Man. What a terrible movie. No wonder Sony sold the rights back.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 4:03 am 
Loose, Missing Package

Sony didn't sell the rights back they're just letting Marvel produce the films. It seems that they still have creative control but hopefully whoever is now in charge will be smart enough to let Marvel do what they do without interfering.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:34 am 
Variant Head

Jim_Abell wrote:
Sony didn't sell the rights back they're just letting Marvel produce the films. It seems that they still have creative control but hopefully whoever is now in charge will be smart enough to let Marvel do what they do without interfering.
My point is it wouldn't have happened if The Amazing Spider-Man 2 wasn't such a disaster. Sony would have gone on with their spin-offs had Webb not killed off the franchise.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:00 am 
too much stick, not enough carrot

Both of you shut up. We are getting Spider-Man in the Avengers!!! Haha I'm as excited as a teenager on prom night. Good gravy this is fantastic news. Hello Tuesday!

DC/WB is all like "Wonder Woman's too confusing for a movie!" and Marvel/Disney is all like "Here's a raccoon with a machine gun".

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:11 am 
Disney is not his cup of tea

what I don't care for is articles are claiming Sony still retains final creative control in all this, also this deal has pushed back release dates of other Marvel Studio films. I would rather have Marvel continued with their lesser characters. I mean Iron Man, Thor, Captain America even Guardians of the Galaxy were not huge icons outside of the comic world. Now everyone knows these characters... remember the news reports of the announcements of the first Iron Man movie? "Marvel using 2nd and 3rd rate heroes" or "Marvel scrapes the bottom of their barrel" Marvel proved to a success with what many considered nothing.

I'd like for them to stick to what they have been doing over jumping all over mainstream characters who they only have half movie rights to or whatever this current deal is between studios.

It's like a bad comic company crossover.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:38 am 
too much stick, not enough carrot

Eh I don't think for a second that Marvel won't absolutely be in charge of the relationship. Sony at this point has figured out there is a gold mine to be made here.

As far as lesser known characters, I genuinely believe this will help far more than hurt. Yes, it pushes some of the movies back. But adding Spider-Man opens doors they might not have otherwise had. At least in my opinion. And it injects something completely new and different into the MCU. He can also serve as a perfect link between the street level Netflix heroes and the Avengers group.

I for one can hardly wait.

DC/WB is all like "Wonder Woman's too confusing for a movie!" and Marvel/Disney is all like "Here's a raccoon with a machine gun".

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:59 am 

texgnome1 wrote:
Eh I don't think for a second that Marvel won't absolutely be in charge of the relationship. Sony at this point has figured out there is a gold mine to be made here.

As far as lesser known characters, I genuinely believe this will help far more than hurt. Yes, it pushes some of the movies back. But adding Spider-Man opens doors they might not have otherwise had. At least in my opinion. And it injects something completely new and different into the MCU. He can also serve as a perfect link between the street level Netflix heroes and the Avengers group.

I for one can hardly wait.

Now I'll eat my words if maybe he actually shows up in an episode of the Netflix stuff. Or if SHIELD runs across Peter Parker.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:08 am 
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing

I know I'm going to get flamed for this, but .... yawn ...

:wink:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:13 am 

nah I'm sort of there with you.