It is currently Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:35 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Justice League Action
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:08 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Justice League Action: New DC Comics Animated Series Announced

SuperHeroHype

Jan 29, 2016

Warner Bros. Animation today announced that a new take on DC‘s classic superhero team is headed to Cartoon Network. Justice League Action is the name of the new show, and you can take a first look at the official poster below.

Said to be a “quarter-hour” animated series, Justice League Action boasts the return of Kevin Conroy as the voice of Batman. Conroy has been voicing Batmen throughout the DC Multiverse since his debut on Batman: The Animated Series.

Justice League Action is officially described as follows:

Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman lead the DC Comics Super Heroes against their most infamous foes in adventures packed with relentless thrills, fun and action. No need to wait for the good stuff to start, each eleven-minute episode jumps in with lightning-paced action and heroics. Whether defending the Earth, facing invaders from space, or battling the bizarre forces of magic, the always-rotating team of Justice League heroes, are up to any challenge.

Justice League Action marks the first DC Comics-based franchise to launch on Cartoon Network since the highly-successful Teen Titan Go!, which in 2015 ranked as a top five animated series among Kids 2-11, 6-11 and all key Boys. Teen Titans Go! also ranks as Cartoon Network’s #1 property for cross-platform video plays and on VOD.

Justice League Action will also deliver an all-star lineup of regular and guest cast voices, including Mark Hamill as Joker, James Woods as Lex Luthor, Diedrich Bader as Booster Gold and many more portraying your favorite DC Comics Super Heroes and Super-Villains. Sam Register (Teen Titans Go!) serves as executive producer with Butch Lukic (Justice League, Batman Beyond), Alan Burnett (Batman: The Animated Series) and Jim Krieg (Green Lantern: The Animated Series) serving as producers.

Click on the thumbnail for a bigger pic!

Post subject: Re: Justice League Action: New DC Comics Animated Series
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:41 pm 
Ball Jointed

Mark Hamill? Interesting. Sounds as if The Killing Joke DTV has officially gotten him out of Joker retirement.

Wish this was DCAU though.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:02 am 
Loose, Missing Package

Fone Bone wrote:
Wish this was DCAU though.

At this point we don't know that it's not. Yes, the look is different and some of the voice cast is changing but that's happened in the DCAU before.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:40 am 
Ball Jointed

I'm not going to get my hopes up. I was burned that way with Teen Titans and from now on I'm just gonna assume every new animated series is NOT DCAU until it is stated in the show otherwise.

Funnily enough, Batman: The Brave and the Bold was kind enough to make itself and The Batman DCAU canon. It's possible this show COULD do something similar down the line, but I'm betting it will start off unconnected. My TV doesn't love me that much.

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 10:24 am 
Loose, Missing Package

Found this partial cast list on Wikipedia (yeah, I know it could be completely bogus but the names are all sourced). I'm intrigued by Conroy as Plastic Man and Hamill as Swamp Thing (can't believe they got permission to use Swamp Thing!) and how did they get Carl Reiner for this?... Hopefully Spiner makes a better Riddler than he did Joker (shoulda got Al back...) and Woods will be interesting as Luthor for sure. Curious as to who Ken Jeong and Armin Shimerman will be playing.

Kevin Conroy - Bruce Wayne/Batman, Patrick O'Brian/Plastic Man
Mark Hamill - The Joker, Alec Holland/Swamp Thing
Diedrich Bader - Michael Jon Carter/Booster Gold
James Woods - Lex Luthor
Carl Reiner - William A. Zard/The Wizard
Brent Spiner - Edward Nygma/The Riddler
Joanne Spracklen - Kara Zor-El/Supergirl
Lacey Chabert
John DiMaggio
Michael Dorn
Ken Jeong
Khary Payton
Patrick Seitz
Armin Shimerman
Dana Snyder
Tara Strong

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 6:14 pm 
Loose, Missing Package

Some really blurry photos of some of the character designs...

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/06/05/ ... he-screen/

Bottom row is giving me problems... Not sure who is between Barda and Harley and the two past Lobo (one off the comments says Mr. Camera, is that right?...)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:19 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Well, okay. If they're going to use Mr. Camera, I hope they use the Blue Bowman, Kite-Man, The Condiment King, Polka-Dot Man, Sewer King and The Eraser.

I do so love the morts. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:48 pm 
Loose, Missing Package

Space Cabby?... This looks like it could be a lot of fun!

(pssst... shis... that last clip - the interviews - has them saying that they got to use Constantine...)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:29 pm 
Mint on Card

Thanks for lettin me know, cause when I realized that interview was half an hour, I stopped it. Yeah, this does look like a lot of fun!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:08 pm 
Loose, Missing Package

Has there been any info on a premier date, yet?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 3:20 pm 
Loose, Missing Package

Apparently November 27th

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:51 pm 
Loose, Missing Package

The World’s Greatest DC Super Heroes Return!
Justice League Action Premieres on Cartoon Network with a Four-Part Special Event, Friday, Dec. 16 at 6:00 p.m. (ET/PT)

The world’s greatest DC Super Heroes are heading to Cartoon Network in the premiere of Justice League Action, an all-new animated series that will kick off with “Shazam Slam,” a four-part special event debuting, Friday, Dec. 16 at 6:00 p.m. (ET/PT). Produced by Warner Bros. Animation and based on iconic DC characters, Justice League Action will premiere new episodes Saturday mornings on Cartoon Network, beginning Dec. 24.

In “Shazam Slam,” the villainous Black Adam battles Batman on the Rock of Eternity and unleashes a horde of Djinn determined to turn the Earth back to its pre-human, volcanic state. Affected by the otherworldly powers of these primordial monsters, Batman becomes possessed and is turned into a giant flying Batmonster laying waste to the Hall of Justice, with only Superman capable of taking the fight to the Dark Knight. One by one, the Justice League – with the help of Shazam (voiced by Sean Astin) and The Wizard (voiced by Carl Reiner) – must hunt down and defeat each Djinn in order to yet again save the world from destruction.

Justice League Action marks the return of Kevin Conroy (Batman: The Animated Series), beloved by fans worldwide as one of the most iconic voices of Batman, to a weekly animated television series. The series will also deliver an all-star lineup of regular and guest cast voices, including Mark Hamill as Joker, James Woods as Lex Luthor, Diedrich Bader as Booster Gold and many more iconic DC Super Heroes and Super-Villains. Sam Register (Teen Titans Go!) serves as executive producer, with Butch Lukic (Justice League, Batman Beyond), Alan Burnett (Batman: The Animated Series) and Jim Krieg (Green Lantern: The Animated Series) as producers.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:18 pm 
Loose, Missing Package

Batman vs Zombies (why hasn't this been done before?...)

(and now I want a Grundy and Swamp Thing CNC for the toy line...)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:56 pm 
Ball Jointed

Justice League Action "Shazam Slam!"
Spoiler: show
A kid-friendly, TV-Y7, 2-D animated, DC cartoon with Kevin Conroy as Batman! Yay! This is everything I wish the Batman Unlimited movies were but aren't. Yeah, it has some bad and hokey dialogue in places. But it's mostly neat.

It's about as serious as Young Justice and Green Lantern TAS, but as fun as Batman: The Brave And The Bold. There is no part of this show that tries to make you ashamed of loving superheroes.

I can't believe this show beat Justice League Dark to the punch to give us the first animated version of Constantine. I love that they pretty much gutted that upcoming movie's biggest selling point. That being said, this version of Constantine sucks, and with Matt Ryan, JLD's won't. The show was crazy to give him that accent accentuating curse in his first appearance. Hopefully if and when he returns again he'll talk normally.

How is the voice talent? Conroy could do this in his sleep, and it's good to hear Sean Astin and Khary Payton return for Shazam and Cyborg respectively. Mark Hamill is also an excellent choice for Swamp Thing. I don't know much about his character, but I know I like his voice. Diedrich Bader also makes a decent Booster Gold, but I think he would have been a far better Guy Gardner as seen on GLTAS and the Lego DC Comics Super Heroes movies. Miscasts? Dana Snyder is a poor Plastic Man. The guy's VO career has taken off in the past year or so, and I'm betting he was cast because he's an affordable get. But sounds entirely too fat and mopey for a guy like Plas. He's a good Penguin in Batman Unlimited. But I'm thinking they just should have stuck with Tom Kenny. Conroy and Payton prove it's sometimes best to simply stick with what works.

"Wizards don't lose things, they misplace them," is a total Gandalf line.

I pretty much love Batman's reaction to everybody switching costumes, powers, and even genders. Conroy said "Good luck with that," in the tone of voice that says somebody who has been doing for 24 years knows a lame and ridiculous idea when he hears it. Which is good because it tells me Batman is one of the few characters they are going to use to keep up the integrity of the DCAU. I also like Martian Manhunter asking Batman if what he said was funny and Batman says without pretense, "I'm the wrong one to ask." Good stuff.

I like that the Batman imposter did NOT suck at his job. He gets found out pretty easily because he smiles and gets whooped by Booster Gold, but the truth is, he seemed competent for a villain in that position compared to every other time the trope is used in cartoons. He explanations and walkbacks have certain believability to them, and he manages to make his actions have plausible deniability by merely pretending he misspoke, rather than didn't know something. That was actually a bit refreshing.

Is it true that the next new episode of this show will air at 7:00AM on Christmas Eve morning? Is that this show's actual time slot? What is CN thinking by underpromoting this potential gem and making sure no-one will see it? I do not get CN's approach to DC toons. At all.

So it's probably only gonna last a season with that timeslot and lack of promotion. But I'll enjoy it while I can. ****1/2.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:52 pm 
Ball Jointed

Justice League Action "Follow That Space Cab!"
Spoiler: show
So cute! Space Cabbie! Lobo! Hawkman! Mr. Mind! This show always manages to find the most eclectic roster of heroes to put into any given episode.

A brilliant iconoclast is a much better title than supervillain.

Loved it. Patton Oswalt makes everything better. ****.