Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:52 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Summer 2005
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 6:08 am 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

What do you guys think will be the hottest, biggest selling books this year and what are you looking forward to the most?

Infinite Crisis?
House Of M?
All Star Batman and Robin?
All Star Superman?
Seven Soldiers?
New Avengers?
JMS and Mike McKone Fantastic Four?
Mark Millar and Greg Land Ultimate FF?

None of the above, because Marvel, DC and superheroes in general suck?

Mike
(I think this is going to be the biggest summer in years)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 9:23 am 
wears suits so fine they make Sinatra look like a hobo

I'm jones about almost everything DC is doing - Crisis, Seven Soldiers, All-Star stuff - gonna be a fun summer! And I'm looking forward to House of M too, although IMO Marvel's standard books have neen all over the map quality-wise. I am enjoying the Ultimate stuff as usual, as well as New Avengers & Young Avengers.

AS Batman will sell pretty well I'm guessing. When does this come out again?

Take a walk on the Sunny Side of the Street
http://www.facebook.com/SunnySideNews

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 10:13 am 
Fugitive Dust

Definitely looking forward to House of M (I a Marvel guy), but am worried about the retconning.

I disagree about the quality of Marvel's standard books, however - I think, across the board, most are great. I've been reading Daredevil since Bendis began his run. Brubaker's Captain America is one of the best titles out there right now. I love the action in Millar's Wolverine, plus we've got New Avengers and Astonishing X-Men which are both kicking ass right now. I've been reading Marvel comics since 1983, and in all that time, I think this is the most enjoyment I've ever had reading some of their titles. Just love the direction.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 5:19 pm 
Dog Squeezer

I'm really really enjoying Seven Soldiers, and look forward with great eagerness to All-Star Superman. (can you tell I'm a big Grant fan? :D )

Personally, I hate the concept of Infinite Crisis, hated Identity Crisis, and hate "mega event crossovers" in general. I've never really liked editorially driven storylines or books where writers are just used to "hit the high points and fill in the blanks."

I love Bill Willingham's work Fables, but I don't think I like the idea of him just writing filler for Day of Vengeance in the build-up for Infinite Crisis.

But, I admit that the inintial sales an all the IC books seem very strong, and anything that boosts sales for comics in general is probably a good thing, even if it isn't my cup of tea.

Personally, I think Identity Crisis kicked off a new Dark Age of comics, with fans wanting grim and gritty deconstruction and tearing down of comic Icons. While this can be great reading for Elseworlds books, the fact that ultimately mainstream titles have to shock yet sort of maintain status quo makes me fear that DC may back themselves into a corner that will need retconning down the line...

Reminds me of Hawkworld, the first real "Elseworlds" story which got mainstreamed since the Elseworlds imprint didn't exist and left Hawkman's history/continuity in a jumble to this day... (despite attempts to Hypertime it away!)

SpyMagician

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 5:32 pm 
Factory Worker

SpyMagician wrote:

Personally, I think Identity Crisis kicked off a new Dark Age of comics, with fans wanting grim and gritty deconstruction and tearing down of comic Icons. While this can be great reading for Elseworlds books, the fact that ultimately mainstream titles have to shock yet sort of maintain status quo makes me fear that DC may back themselves into a corner that will need retconning down the line...

Wow. I disagree on that point. I think Identity Crisis helped point out that you need a good Story to sell Comic Books. The whole series was fantastic. Every issue better then the last. The book may have been an "Event" book, but at it's core, it had a great story. We went through an era in which story wasn't as important for comics, i hope IC helps bring Story back.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 6:20 pm 
Dog Squeezer

Bloody Thumb wrote:
Wow. I disagree on that point. I think Identity Crisis helped point out that you need a good Story to sell Comic Books. The whole series was fantastic. Every issue better then the last. The book may have been an "Event" book, but at it's core, it had a great story. We went through an era in which story wasn't as important for comics, i hope IC helps bring Story back.

I didn't like IC, but that doesn't I think it was a bad story. I just think as a mainstream in continuity tale it creates a lot of problems.

I think after the events of IC, with the implication that Superman, Batman and Wonderwoman were aware of but chose to overlook the "secret league"'s brainwashing of villains they are fatally compromised as heroes.

In Batman's case, he was a victim too, and that is being explored, but it basically reinforces the "Batman is a loner, can never be a team player" concept and takes it to the point where realistically he can NEVER be a part of the JLA again.

For Wonderwoman, I feel that her "overlooking" the brainwashing indicates that she is either very stupid (not likely) or on the road to the "ends justifies the means" hardliner she became in Kingdom Come.

Lastly, and most damagingly, for Superman it offers 2 possibilities:

-that he was unaware of the mindwipes, despite his powers, which makes him extremely stupid.

-that he knew but chose to ignore the brainwashing, which in my opinion is totally out of character and contradicts everything the Man of Steel stands for.

Lastly, I really disliked that IC attempted to "rewrite" history, basically saying that all along the Silver Age JLA has been periodically brainwashing villains, something that again I think totally undermines their credibility as heroes.

As a stand alone elseworlds story, IC would have been a great murder mystery, perhaps with the added bonus of being free to let Batman go all out and destroy the League totally, making it an "End of the Justice League" apocalyptic story.

But being in continuity, though it "raises the stakes" and makes the story more "real" it really fundamentally darkens the DCU in a way which I don't think it can ignore or move forward from without a new era of deconstructionism.

SpyMagician

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 4:43 pm 
ABS

Gotta say DC is really gotten me more excited about funny books then i've been in YEARS.....All Stars......Identity (fill in the blank)............Gonna be some good stuff I think...............

Post subject: Re: Summer 2005
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 9:29 pm 
HEY! New guy! GET HIM!

SDcomics wrote:
None of the above, because Marvel, DC and superheroes in general suck?

I'll take that option, please!!

I was talked into reading Seven Soldiers, and it seems like fun. There's been one amazingly great book (Guardian), one okay book (Shining Knight), one extremely bad book (Klarion), and one which ripped off an issue of Moore's Swamp Thing almost verbatim (Zatanna), but it's not like Morrison is trying to write serious stuff here. He's having fun and it comes through, making the books fun to read. It's the first mainstream comic is years I've had interest in.

I also read Countdown to Infinite Crisis since a friend gave it to me and wow is it bad! I just don't get the point of it! It's like someone decided the old JLI stuff all of a sudden had to fit into continuity and the only way of doing that was to give those old stories a sinister context. But my question is, why? It's all made up stories anyway, just ignore them if you don't like them. Also, the entire hook of the old JLI book was it was a metatextual book about superheroes and how silly they are, it was never intended to be "real".

Oh well, as long as people who buy lots of this stuff like it...

Post subject: Re: Summer 2005
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 9:55 pm 
Dog Squeezer

Kenny wrote:
I also read Countdown to Infinite Crisis since a friend gave it to me and wow is it bad! I just don't get the point of it! It's like someone decided the old JLI stuff all of a sudden had to fit into continuity and the only way of doing that was to give those old stories a sinister context. But my question is, why? It's all made up stories anyway, just ignore them if you don't like them. Also, the entire hook of the old JLI book was it was a metatextual book about superheroes and how silly they are, it was never intended to be "real".

Oh well, as long as people who buy lots of this stuff like it...

Exactly my feeling!

SpyMagician

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 3:44 am 
Tis' but a pup

I've been reading 7 Soldiers and the story just hasn't grabbed me... the art has be phenomenal on ever issue so far though. I wasn't expecting much from the infinite crisis lead up minis but they've been great so far, especially Villains United.... now if I could find my own copy of #1... I'm also really jazzed for All-Star Batman and Superman.

On the Marvel side if things... House of M looks promising but I'm only getting the main book, not the spin-offs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 7:18 am 
Factory Worker

Countdown was a great book..... Right up until the last few pages. I enjoyed the "Middle Aged Serious" Blue Beetle. It was a step in the right direction Character development wise, but then the last few pages..... UGH. That just turned around and spit upon one of my favorite comic Eras. Booster Gold, Blue Beetle, Guy Gardner.... That was a fun time in comics. It annoyed me that they destroyed it so easily.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 7:43 am 
ABS

That Old JL of Gardner, Booster, Beetle, Fire and Ice...etc..........Those were classics.......Definatly some of the most fun to read comics i've ever seen.........

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 4:52 am 
Factory Worker

PREACHER wrote:
That Old JL of Gardner, Booster, Beetle, Fire and Ice...etc..........Those were classics.......Definatly some of the most fun to read comics i've ever seen.........

I enjoy Serious books, but some times you just want a little Goofiness. The end of Countdown made some of those old books hard to read. I tried reading Formerly Known as the Justice league again the other day, and it's just not the same now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 9:28 am 
wears suits so fine they make Sinatra look like a hobo

Kenny, I started reading your post and then that damn hypnotic avatar stopped me in my tracks again! :shock:

Take a walk on the Sunny Side of the Street
http://www.facebook.com/SunnySideNews

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 10:04 am 
Tis' but a pup

The ultimate titles. I don't think anything really big is happening, but whatever.