Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:12 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: The Greatest Stories In Comix
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 4:51 pm 
ABS

Okay.........Start naming some of your favorite storylines......I don't mean characters or what have you......I mean STORIES.........I"ll start and leave out a LOT.......

Dark Knight Returns

Batman Year One

Hard Time Season 1 (Season 2 coming soon....)

Midnight Nation

Preacher ( I know it's a comic......but it was written and intended to be one big sprawling epic and it is..........)

I'm intentionally leaving out a lot so other people can jump in......... :o

I'm excited about this forum...............Comix is cool............

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 9:05 pm 
Displays Backwards

Top Ten

Ultimates v1

Miracleman

Sandman

Starman

Grant Morrison's run on Animal Man, Doom Patrol, JLA and New X-Men (Imperial was the best arc in that run)...

Marvel Boy, Wanted

Watchmen

Alan Moore's run on Supreme and Youngblood

Ellis's run on Stormwatch and the Authority

Planetary

Alias, Powers

Hellboy

and so on

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 3:00 pm 
ABS

Morrison on Animal Man was amazing....I had the pleasure of being able to read the entire run over a week long period.....Freakin brilliant..........

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 9:16 pm 
HEY! New guy! GET HIM!

Miracleman

Blankets

Unity

Archer & Armstrong (first 12 issues)

That story arc in GI Joe where Storm Shadow left Cobra to train Cobra Commander's son, Billy. Billy ends up in a near fatal car accident and then Cobra Commander is murdered in a throw away panel by a rouge Crimson Guard member who goes on to impersonate him.

Dave Lapham's 2 issues of Warriors of Plasm that focused on Grimmox

The first Madman series

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 9:33 pm 
Daniel Pickett

I gotta chime and and agree with a few others- MiracleMan. I just started reading "Kimota! The Complete Store of Miracleman" and it really is making me miss Gaiman not being able to finish his story arc.

I was readin waitg Miracleman as it was being released by Eclipse so I had to the 2 years between issue 15 and 16.

Fur current storylines I've really been blown away by "The Walking Dead" put out by Image. I'm not big into Zombie stories, but this is the best story of human survial I've read in quite some time.

Julius M

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 7:45 am 
ABS

Yeah........Walking Dead is good....It kinda gets ya hooked.......Not your typical zombie comic......I like the strong focus on characterazation and that the whole "end of the world/dead among us" thing is background.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 7:50 am 
HEY! New guy! GET HIM!

JuliusMarx wrote:
I was readin waitg Miracleman as it was being released by Eclipse so I had to the 2 years between issue 15 and 16.

I started reading a little after that, during the end of the Golden Age story. I've been waiting, along with you, for, what, 13 years now to find out how the cliffhanger at the end of 24 is going to be resolved. I remember when I first read it, I thought, "This is the biggest cliffhanger I've ever seen! How am I going to be able to wait a few months for the resolution!?". Little did I know...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 10:50 am 
Displays Backwards

When Alan Moore's run on Miracleman was winding down, the artist, John Totleben, was having some eye problems that kept delaying issues almost to Astro City lengths of time. Sandman #1 and Gaiman's first issue of Miracleman came out in the same week -- I met Gaiman the day those hit stores, but I had him sign my copy of Violent Cases instead.

Speaking of, Astro City's pretty great. If I had to pick a favorite story arc, I think it would be "Confession".

I'm also really liking Waking Dead and Invincible, though I'm still not sure I liked the great big twist in issue 12 and 13. Invincible figures would be cool.

Y: The Last Man blew me away in the first trade, but that's all I've read so far of that.

I just finished the Invisibles a few weeks ago, finally, and I think my brain rebooted. WOW.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 7:12 pm 
Hangin' with the big boys

Agreed. Astro City's "Confession" is what lured me back into comics after a lengthy hiatus.

However, I think Jeff Smith's "Bone" was a wonderful peice of storytelling. I know it's a comic but since the whole run was one long story I think it qualifies. Certainly looking forward to his take on Shazam.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 10:56 am 
HEY! New guy! GET HIM!

INFINITY GAUNTLET

Secret Wars

Ultimates (vol 1) and vol 2 has been great so far.

Astonishing X-Men #1-6

Runaways

There have been some good stories in Ultimate Spider-Man and Ultimate X-Men

Larry Hama's GI JOE (lots to choose from)

HUSH... just 'cuz of Jim Lee :)