All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Wonder Woman
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 5:41 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

http://www.superherohype.com

Joss Whedon on Wonder Woman

Source: ifMagazine.com

May 3, 2006

ifMagazine.com talked to Joss Whedon at the Saturn Awards on Tuesday and he gave an update on his Wonder Woman feature:

"It's sort of shifting under me," says Whedon. "I'm doing more rewriting on this than I am used to. Finding her was fun, and finding the structure of the film was incredibly difficult and fun. I am not bringing in any villains that anyone knows. I will not be bringing in any of the rogues gallery from the comic book. The villain is original to the film."

Mike
(Nuts! No Cheetah ...) :(

Last edited by SDcomics on Sat Mar 24, 2007 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 7:08 pm 
my apartment smells of rich mahogany

OOOH! That's a great idea! I wonder if she's also gonna wear a hot pink bikini and have a dance number? What if, instead of an invisible plane, she had a visible PT Cruiser? Oooh, and instead of being an Amazonian, she's actually an inner city cheerleader who learns how to be a productive member of her community from Robin Williams, who can double as the female villian? Man, this movie is gonna be great! No, better than great, SUB PAR!!!

Why would anybody do that, though, really? Has that ever worked? The only time I even remember it happening is Superman 4. Anyboy else got a better memory?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 8:33 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

>>Why would anybody do that, though, really? Has that ever worked? The only time I even remember it happening is Superman 4. Anyboy else got a better memory?<<

The old Batman TV show had some original villains. Egghead, King Tut, False Face, Bookworm ... :wink:

Mike
(Levity aside, I think the Wonder Woman film is in good hands with Whedon. I thought Serenity was one of the best movies to come out in 2005.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 9:03 pm 
Collector Inspector

I to believe its in good hands with Joss Whedon. And on the villians thing, I believe I read somewhere that although the villians will be original to the movie, they will be based on Greek/Roman mythology. So they wont be to far off the ww mark.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 9:19 pm 
my apartment smells of rich mahogany

Okay, well that's a little more comforting. I just don't understand why they wouldn't want to use an already established WW villian. Somebody that people already want to see. Especially from a horny fanboy point of view: who doesn't want to see Cheetah on the big screen? Wait a minute, have they announced who's playing Wonder Woman yet?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 5:51 am 
The Last Word

SDcomics wrote:
Levity aside, I think the Wonder Woman film is in good hands with Whedon. I thought Serenity was one of the best movies to come out in 2005.

I agree. It was like a painful reminder of how good the Star Wars prequels should have been.

shishalzafrazz wrote:
I just don't understand why they wouldn't want to use an already established WW villian. Somebody that people already want to see. Especially from a horny fanboy point of view: who doesn't want to see Cheetah on the big screen?

First of all, they're looking for a wider audience. A movie that appeals solely to comic fans is a guaranteed bomb.

Secondly, there seems to be a misconception there. Even if devoted WW fans were the first consideration, that would probably include fewer "horny fanboys" than you may realize - at least those of a persuasion who would be interested in drooling over Cheetah. :wink:

shishalzafrazz wrote:
Wait a minute, have they announced who's playing Wonder Woman yet?

No one has been cast. It won't happen until Whedon finishes the script.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 9:30 am 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Joel Silver's Wonder Woman Update

Source: superherohype.com

March 24, 2007

Last July at Comic-Con in San Diego, Superhero Hype! had a chance to talk to producer Joel Silver about why he wanted to make a movie starring DC Comics' Wonder Woman for Warner Bros. At the time, Joss Whedon of Buffy the Vampire Slayer fame had been working on a script and it was full speed ahead. Those plans hit a bit of a speed bump earlier this year, when it was announced that Silver and Warner Bros. had bought another script and that Whedon wouldn't be making the movie.

At the Los Angeles junket for Silver's latest Dark Castle horror flick The Reaping with Hillary Swank, Superhero Hype! had a chance to ask the producer about progress on the long-anticipated movie.

"It took me eleven years to put 'Speed Racer' together. For ' Wonder Woman, it was seven years. Ten years to do 'V [for Vendetta']," he told us when asked. "These things don't happen quickly. I want to make the right movie on 'Wonder Woman,' I think if we do it right, we can. We just couldn't get there."

But what about that script they recently bought, which wound up sending Whedon packing? "That was a script that came about," he said. "It had some good ideas in it but I didn't want it floating around, so we took it off the market. It was a period movie and I really don't want to do that."

Hopefully there'll be word of a new director or casting so that Silver and Warner Bros. can get a Wonder Woman movie happening before the recently-rumored Justice League movie beats it to the punch. Stay tune to Superhero Hype! for more developments.

Mike
(Image)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 7:55 pm 
Displays Backwards

Wonder Woman Unlikely Casting Rumored

March 21, 2007

Source: Moviehole:

“How I Met Your Mother” star Cobie Smulders has snagged the role of “Wonder Woman” – yeah, I know what you’re saying ‘it’s something different every week’ – in uncle Joel’s pricey big-screen translation of the comic.

According to Film Ick, The Vancouver-born actress – who plays spunky ‘Robin’ on the hit sitcom – has emerged as the frontrunner for the role.

I find this a bit hard to swallow … if only because the film (as far as we know) doesn’t even have a director yet. Joss Whedon (“Serenity”) was onboard the project, but he exited the project recently – citing creative differences. Warner are apparently on the lookout for a replacement. Usually, the director has a say in casting a movie, and I’d presume this would still the case, so I don’t see anyone signing off on their “Wonder Woman” until the guy in charge arrives. Could be wrong though. I have been before – just like when I told my wife those noodles “won’t be spicy” and they were.

One part of the story that indicates that there might be some truth to it is the bit that mentions Smulders was actually the gal that Whedon wanted for the role – and despite everything else, Producer Joel Silver was on the same page as his then-director. The beard apparently still loves Smulders… and is still dead keen to fit her for the wonder-bra.

If it is true, I can see where he’s coming from – she’d fill it nicely.

Sophia Bush (“The Hitcher”) is the only other candidate that we know of that’s actually spoken to Silver about the role.

---

Side note: this Film Ick site also has a rumor that Tricia Helfer ("Battlestar Galactica", Playboy) is in talks to play Supergirl in an upcoming movie...

Last edited by PeterFries on Mon Mar 26, 2007 1:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:56 am 
serves the Otter

I like her...I can see that working.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 3:04 pm 
Daniel Pickett

I saw her at my local Target right after Christmas.

I like her, but not sure if she has the chops for it. I like How I met your Mother but the writing is FAR better than the acting on that show.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:14 pm 
Crime Against Nature

JuliusMarx wrote:
I like her, but not sure if she has the chops for it.

Yes, she'll need two very large chops to fill this role.

However, this guy has the chops, hands down:

http://mrporkchop.ytmnd.com/

J.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:10 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Bjorlin on the Wonder Woman Rumors

Source: superherohype.com

April 6, 2007

Redline star Nadia Bjorlin talked to Moviehole about the rumors that she's in consideration for Wonder Woman:

I have to ask you.... about the "Wonder Woman" rumours. Have you talked with anyone about them? Is it something you'd be interested in?

It is definitely something I'm interested in. I own every Wonder Woman episode! Lynda Carter was an incredible Wonder Woman, and I'd be honored to try to fill those shoes....or tights, rather! [Laughs] As of now, there is no script or director in place, but when they find those, I hope I'm still in consideration.

Were you flattered to discover just how much support your fans are throwing your way in terms of "Wonder Woman"?

I was, and still am, extremely flattered over the support! I would hope that I could make all the supporters proud one day, but we'll see, I guess. I really do appreciate it though, and I want everyone to know that their opinions and support really do matter and help. I believe that people listen to what fans want, so don't think it's hopeless when you want to get your voice heard. Then let's just hope that they want to stick to the real Wonder Woman comic character instead of reinventing it. I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

Mike
(Image)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:28 am 
Knows his stuff

Okay she's got the looks for the role, and says the right things (or near enough), but the big questions are can she actually act, and does she have the screen presence and charisma the role definitely requires? So far she hasn't even had much of anything beyond walk on or minor guest shot roles...still, another rumour, another day I guess.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:49 am 
buzz word garbage hater

Why do I have a feeling there will be a post by Chip here soon??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 3:03 am 
Super Amigo Fantastico!

*BAMF* Did someone call me???

Wow...beautiful eyes!

Oh, and my booby-sense is tingling!!!

Peace,

Chip :lol: