Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:30 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: The Flash Movie
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:16 pm 
serves the Otter

Very interesting-nice to see that Guggenheim is at least a fan. Thanks for the link!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:33 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Marc Guggenheim on The Flash's Darker Tone

by SuperHeroHype

Dec 9th, 2010

Barry Allen to be portrayed as forensic investigator

Continuing their interview from earlier this week, MTV's Splash Page discussed the in-development Flash film with comic book author and screenwriter Marc Guggenheim, who reiterated that the current screenplay has a darker, crime element and will focus on the investigational side of its lead.

"When Barry Allen was the character, he was a science policeman, "Guggenheim explains, "We’re obviously updating that and now he’s in forensics and CSI. The tone is sort of darker, and more like "Seven" and "Silence of the Lambs" in that mysterious and noir-ish way, which is also working in conjunction with the superhero elements... There's also an element of a sports movie, because the character is so physical and I feel like there is an athleticism to his power that other superheroes don’t have."

Though Guggenheim also acknowledges that the Flash has some of comicdom's most colorful villains, he remains mum on which of them may make it to the big screen when development on The Flash moves forward.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:33 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Screenwriter Dan Mazeau Updates on Bleach, The Flash and Jonny Quest

by SuperHeroHype

March 30, 2012

Dan Mazeau, whose screenplay for Wrath of the Titans is realized in theaters today, is also the man behind a number of upcoming genre projects, including Bleach, The Flash and Jonny Quest. IFC caught up with Mazeau and managed to get a few updates about all three.

"I'm currently working on 'Bleach' and the idea is to set it in Japan and really be respectful to the source material," says Mazeu. "It's an amazing story. I've been shorthanding it as an 'action-adventure 'Sixth Sense',' but obviously on a bigger canvas than that. So I'm incredibly excited about that. Its a good one.”

The Flash and Jonny Quest, meanwhile, share a sticking point in getting to the big screen in that both scripts are in search of a specific talent to bring the printed page to live. In the case of the former, the search is on for a director that can realize Mazeau's Barry Allen tale.

"[H]e can't just be a guy who runs fast," Mazeau explains.

For Jonny Quest, the holdup is largely in finding a young actor who can balance the bigger-than-life adventures of the title character but who also has the dramatic side necessary for the film's more serious elements.

"There's real weight to it," says Mazeau of his script. "People die in the 'Jonny Quest' cartoons. I think 'Spy Kids’'was fun, but it's lighter than what 'Jonny Quest' would be."

You can check out the full interview by clicking here.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:43 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

The LEGO Movie Directors Writing WB’s The Flash Film!

SuperHeroHype

Apr 09, 2015

Though The Flash is racing around on The CW every Tuesday night, Warner Bros. continues to develop a feature film version of the character to tie into their larger DC Cinematic Universe and they’ve just taken a big step forward. Deadline reports that The LEGO Movie and 21 Jump Street writer/directors Phil Lord and Chris Miller are in the process of writing a treatment for the scarlet speedster’s big screen adaptation. It’s unclear if the pair will direct the feature, though it remains a possibility.

Last year, it was revealed that We Need to Talk About Kevin and The Perks of Being a Wallflower star Ezra Miller had been cast in the role of The Flash for the upcoming Justice League Part One, and potentially next year’s Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, though which version of the character it will be has yet to be confirmed. The Flash is currently set for release March 23, 2018, just six weeks ahead of Marvel Studios’ Avengers: Infinity War Part 1 on May 4, 2018.

Grant Gustin currently plays The Flash in the hit CW series, but the character has previously been played by the likes of John Wesley Shipp in the 1990 series and Kyle Gallner in “Smallville.” Adam Brody was previously cast in the role for Mad Max: Fury Road director George Miller’s defunct Justice League film.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 8:07 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Phil Lord Offers an Update on The Flash Movie

SuperHeroHype

May 18, 2015

It was revealed last month that Phil Lord and Chris Miller (The LEGO Movie, 21 Jump Street) are writing Warner Bros. Pictures’ upcoming big screen take on DC Comics’ fastest man alive. Although it was already revealed that The Flash, set for release March 23, 2018, will star Ezra Miller as Central City’s scarlet speedster, Lord announced during The Hippojuice Podcast (via /Film), that The Perks of Being a Wallflower star will likely be playing a new iteration of Barry Allen as opposed to one of the other men who have, in the comics, appeared as the hero.

“We’re trying to break a story,” says Lord. “It’s interesting, because there’s a really popular TV show out there, and we’re trying to carve out space for the movie that’s apart from that. I think we’re doing alright. …I believe [our Flash] is going to be Barry Allen. …We’re more trying to stick with the cinematic universe… it really is its own thing and is kind of a stand-alone movie. We’re just trying to think of the best story. I think you guys will like it, it’s kind of a different take on superhero stuff. I’m optimistic!”

Miller is expected to also appear as Allen in Justice League Part One and, although unconfirmed, could even make a debut in next year’s Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice.

Grant Gustin currently plays The Flash on the hit CW series, which concludes its first season on Tuesday night on The CW.

Lord also spoke briefly about the animated Spider-Man film he and Miller have in early development at Sony Pictures, although it doesn’t sound like there are any solid details to share quite yet. You can check out the entire interview for yourself in the player below:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:17 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

From IGN:

Star Wars Anthology: Han Solo / 7 Jul 2015

What Does The Han Solo Movie Mean for The Flash, 23 Jump Street?

Lord & Miller may pass on directorial duties.

By Lucy O'Brien

What will happen to Chris Miller and Phil Lord's other directorial projects - namely their Flash feature, a third Jump St, and an animated Spider-Man - now that they're helming a Han Solo standalone film for 2018?

According to THR, it's likely that The Flash feature the pair were developing for Warner Bros is now off the table. The same goes for the third movie in their successful Jump St series. However, they could stay on as writer or producer for both these projects.

The animated Spider-Man feature they were developing for Sony will be less affected, considering they expressed no intentions to direct it.

Earlier today, it was announced that Miller and Lord will be directing a Han Solo standalone movie, detailing the events that led to Solo becoming the smuggler we first meet in the Mos Eisley cantina on Tattooine. The film is due to open in theatres on May 25, 2018.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:15 am 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

The Flash: Ezra Miller Talks Superhero Physics and Landing the Role

SuperHeroHype

Jul 16, 2015

When Ezra Miller was cast as Barry Allen/The Flash for a solo movie as well as participation in other DC Cinematic Universe movies such as Justice League it was considered an unconventional choice, but a recent interview with MTV shows that the acclaimed indie actor (The Perks of Being a Wallflower, The Stanford Prison Experiment) is more than game to take on the role.

“Barry Allen is the hero of the Silver Age who follows a lot of really interesting discoveries in physics,” says Miller. “Where he comes from is where we figured out the Event Horizon was there, and he was the character who was created through our mythos machine of comic books to break that Event Horizon, so you could explore in fantasy… I think that’s an interesting idea. And, what’s an interesting idea to me is, ‘What the f**k does that do to someone?’”

Miller’s infectious enthusiasm also extends to “The Flash” TV series, whose second season begins airing on The CW this October 6.

“I’m not avoiding it at all,” Miller says of the show. “I think it’s awesome! C’mon, we’re The Flash! It’s parallel universes! Grant Gustin is The Flash AND I’m The Flash, don’t you see? It’s the Event Horizon, we crossed it baby! Grant and I are chillin’, we’re gonna have a race, it’s gonna be dope. Like Jay Garrick and Barry Allen back in the day.”

An admitted longtime comic book fan, Miller is using his role as a means to truly do a deep dive into fanboy lore.

“I’ve been a comic guy, but I’m going in as hard as possible because I have a serious excuse to,” Miller enthuses. “I have the ultimate license to geek out SO HARD all the time!”

Featuring a screenplay by Phil Lord and Chris Miller, The Flash solo movie is set for release March 23, 2018, while Justice League Part One will be directed by Zack Snyder and released on November 10, 2017.