Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:36 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 177 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:02 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Jackson is Not Directing the Hobbit Films

Source: comingsoon.net

December 19, 2007

Since the big announcement yesterday that Peter Jackson and Fran Walsh will serve as Executive Producers of two films based on "The Hobbit" for New Line and MGM, fans and Hollywood have wondered if Jackson will direct the films as well. According to Entertainment Weekly, he is not because fans would have to wait a long time for his schedule to clear up:

While MGM and New Line want to keep Jackson's involvement in the film as broad as possible, hinting that he may take up both writing and directing responsibilities, Jackson's manager Ken Kamins told Hollywood Insider that Jackson won't be directing the films. "Peter won't be directing because he felt the fans have waited long enough for The Hobbit. It will take the better part of every day of the next four years to write, direct and produce two Hobbit films. Given his current obligations to both The Lovely Bones and Tintin, waiting for Peter, Fran, and Phillippa to write, direct and produce The Hobbit would require the fans wait even longer."

So who will direct? Sam Raimi ("Spider-Man" films), Guillermo del Toro ("Hellboy" films) and Alfonso Cuaron (Children of Men) are names that have come up, but no decision has been made, says New Line's co-chair Robert Shaye. "There is obviously a small but significant number of directors who could handle two films of this magnitude, but we have no commitment to anybody. Now that Peter is an integral part of the decision-making process, we all have to see eye-to-eye on any candidate we try to enlist."

The creative powers are expected to start planning the films in early 2008.

Mike
(Image)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:58 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Elijah Wood on The Hobbit and Sequel

January 11, 2008

MTV chatted with Elijah Wood today about the Peter Jackson-produced The Hobbit and its sequel. Here's a clip:

"I haven't spoken to [Jackson] directly about it [but] I've e-mailed him, and as far as I know, the two films that they're doing, one will be 'The Hobbit' and another will take place between the 60 years that happened between 'The Hobbit' and 'The Lord of the Rings,'" the once and future Frodo enthused to MTV News, possibly confirming rumors that the second planned film would not be a Part II, but instead a narrative bridge.

And would he like to return as Frodo if there is indeed such a role? Find out here.

Mike
(Image)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:36 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Del Toro in Talks to Direct Hobbit Films

January 28, 2008

Guillermo del Toro is in talks to direct back-to-back installments of J.R.R. Tolkien's The Hobbit, which is being co-financed by New Line and MGM, says The Hollywood Reporter.

Few filmmakers have the cachet that del Toro has, as well as a deep love for the source material, an assured grasp of fantasy filmmaking and an understanding and command of geek culture as well as its respect. Del Toro has built that goodwill through such films as the Oscar-nominated Pan's Labyrinth, Hellboy, Blade 2 (which was made by New Line) and The Devil's Backbone.

Because of other commitments that included The Lovely Bones and Tintin, "The Lord of the Rings" trilogy director Peter Jackson could not take on writing and directing roles, opting instead to become an executive producer with approval over creative elements of the pair of films.

Because of the strike, no writer has been hired to adapt Tolkien's children's classic, though that process will be fast-tracked once it's resolved. Del Toro and Jackson will oversee the two films' writing.

Principal photography for the films, which will be shot simultaneously, is tentatively set for 2009. The production budget is estimated at $150 million per film. The release of the first film is slated for 2010 and the second in 2011.

The Hobbit is centered on Bilbo Baggins and Gandalf who go on a quest to find the treasure of a dragon named Smaug. Tolkien went on to write "The Lord of the Rings" 17 years later.

Mike
(Image)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:16 am 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

From IGN:

Lawsuit Impacts The Hobbit

Tolkien estate sues New Line Cinema.

February 11, 2008 - Betcha really wanted to see The Hobbit, didn't you? Well, it looks like you're going to have to wait awhile for that -- perhaps a very long time if things go from bad to worse. The estate of Hobbit and Lord of the Rings author J.R.R. Tolkien sued New Line Cinema today looking for what it claims is its share of profits from the studio's blockbuster Lord of the Rings film trilogy.

According to the Associated Press, the lawsuit "claims New Line was required to pay 7.5 percent of gross receipts from the films to Tolkien's estate and the other plaintiffs."

The report adds, "The plaintiffs seek more than $150 million in compensatory damages, unspecified punitive damages and a court order giving the Tolkien estate the right to terminate any rights New Line may have to make films based on other works by the author, including The Hobbit."

The estate's lawyer said in a statement, "New Line has not paid the plaintiffs even one penny of its contractual share of gross receipts despite the billions of dollars of gross revenue generated by these wildly successful motion pictures."

Considering New Line was reportedly in the midst of hiring Guillermo del Toro to helm The Hobbit and a follow-up film based on the works of Tolkien -- and had just put a long-standing lawsuit with LotR director Peter Jackson over profits from the trilogy behind it -- this lawsuit, and its implications for The Hobbit, could not come at a worse time for the studio. Perhaps New Line will act quickly to settle the matter and move forward with production.

IGN will bring you more news on the Hobbit lawsuit as it happens.

Mike
(Nuts. Not a good day for movie news ...) :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:17 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

It's Official: Guillermo del Toro to Direct The Hobbit!

April 24, 2008

Guillermo del Toro has officially signed on to direct the New Line/MGM's The Hobbit and its sequel, reports Variety.

The widely expected announcement came Thursday afternoon jointly from executive producers Peter Jackson and Fran Walsh, New Line president Toby Emmerich, and Mary Parent, newly named chief of MGM's Worldwide Motion Picture Group.

Del Toro's moving to New Zealand for the next four years to work with Jackson and his Wingnut and Weta production teams. He'll direct the two films back to back, with the sequel dealing with the 60-year period between The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring, the first of the "Lord of the Rings" trilogy.

New Line is overseeing development and will manage production. Both films are being co-produced and co-financed by New Line Cinema and MGM, with Warner Bros. distributing domestically and MGM handling international.

Del Toro won't leave for New Zealand immediately as he's still in post-production on Universal's "Hellboy II," due out in July.

The official signing of Del Toro comes four months after New Line settled a lawsuit with Jackson over "The Lord of the Rings" and announced that it had agreed with MGM to turn J.R.R. Tolkien's "Hobbit" into two live-action films.

The studios didn't give a start date on production and don't yet have a script. Though no screenplay deal's been set, it's expected that the LOTR scripting team of Jackson, Walsh and Philippa Boyens will collaborate with Del Toro.

With Del Toro blocking out four years for the project, it's likely that the studios are aiming at starting shooting next year and releasing the films in late 2011 and 2012.

Jackson's WETA stages, post-production and visual effects facilities -- built for "The Lord of the Rings" -- will be used for both films. And New Zealand will again be the site of Middle-earth, with the story centering on Bilbo Baggins taking the Ring of Power from Gollum.

Mike
(Image)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:06 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Sir Ian McKellen on The Hobbit

April 30, 2008

Director Guillermo del Toro mentioned a few days ago that he had had a meeting with Sir Ian McKellen and Andy Serkis for them to reprise their roles in The Hobbit and its sequel as Gandalf and Gollum/Smeagol, respectively. Now we get to hear McKellen's side.

"Yes, it's true," McKellen told Empire Online at the UK Speed Racer premiere. "I spoke to Guillermo in the very room that Peter Jackson offered me the part and he confirmed that I would be reprising the role. Obviously, it's not a part that you turn down, I loved playing Gandalf."

He added that "Guillermo will be getting around to starting the script in about six weeks when he's finished filming Hellboy II."

You can read the full interview here.

Mike
(Image)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 9:24 am 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Mortensen, McKellen & Serkis Returning for Hobbit?

May 21, 2008

Pre-production is about to get under way on The Hobbit and its sequel, says Variety.

Fran Walsh and Philippa Boyens are expected to write the scripts under the direction of Peter Jackson and Guillermo del Toro. Preliminary contact has already been made with at least three actors whose "Lord of the Rings" characters also appear in the "Hobbit" storyline: Viggo Mortensen (Aragorn), Ian McKellen (Gandalf) and Andy Serkis (Gollum).

"We will all be involved in the script in some fashion but the exact definition is about a week away, " said del Toro. "I am all for keeping the actors who originated the parts, as much as availability and their willingness will allow."

Del Toro will also be producing Hater with Mark Johnson for Universal Pictures. Based on David Moody's 2006 novel, the thriller is about an epidemic of random violence in which ordinary people strike lethally without warning or remorse. The book will be adapted for the screen by Glen Mazzara (FX's "The Shield").

Mike
(Image)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:51 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Weaving Not Quite Back Yet for Hobbit

June 18, 2009

Last Friday, director Guillermo del Toro announced on BBC Radio 5's Simon Mayo that Hugo Weaving will reunite with Andy Serkis and Ian McKellen in The Hobbit "...as the roles they originated in the trilogy."

Weaving told Moviehole today that he's interested in returning as Elrond, but that he hasn't been spoken to yet.

"I knew that if and when it happened I'd get a call and we'd chat about it, but I haven't spoken to anyone about it. Someone said to me 'I hear you're doing the Hobbit?' I said 'Well, um, probably', they said "No, no. you've signed on'. I haven't actually talked to anyone about it. Doesn't mean I won't be doing it, [I'm] just not onboard yet."

You can read more of his quotes here. The first of the two films is scheduled to be released in December of 2011 followed by the second in December of 2012.

Mike
(Image)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:13 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Peter Jackson to Announce Hobbit Casting at Comic-Con?

July 17, 2009

Empire talked to District 9 producer Peter Jackson, who will be making his first Comic-Con appearance next week to promote the August 14 release. There's been rumors that he's also going so that he can also announce who will play Bilbo Baggins in the two "Hobbit" films, but he tells the magazine that's not the case.

"No, we won't be announcing Bilbo for a little while," Jackson said. "We're starting to think about casting, but we're knee-deep in the script right now. And when we do go to actors, they're probably going to ask to see a script, so we're powering ahead with getting the first draft done."

The reports said that "Harry Potter's" Daniel Radcliffe, Wanted star James McAvoy and "Doctor Who" actor David Tennant were all in the running for the role.

Jackson is producing Steven Spielberg-directed The Adventures of Tintin: The Secret of the Unicorn, but what may his next directing job be after The Lovely Bones?

"We are developing a couple of projects which are potentially films that I'd direct for next year. 'Temeraire' is still on the cards. But those are really taking a second place at the moment..."

Temeraire is an adaptation of Naomi Novik's fantasy saga, in which French and English forces wage the Napoleonic wars with enormous battle-dragons.

Mike
(Image)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:24 am 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

The Hobbit Pushed Back to 4th Quarter 2012?

Source:comingsoon.net

January 22, 2010

In an article at Variety talking about New Line Cinema, which two years ago became a unit under Warner Bros. Pictures, studio executive Alan Horn reveals that the first of the two Hobbit films may not hit theaters until late 2012, a full year after the previously-announced December 2011 release:

Once the script for the second film is in -- Jackson and his longtime collaborators Fran Walsh and Philippa Boyens are working on it with Del Toro -- New Line will work up a budget for both films and start casting. New Line exec Michael Disco, who was once Emmerich's assistant, will oversee for the studio.

Horn won't predict when the first of the two "Hobbit" films will be out, but says the most probable scenario would be a release in the fourth quarter of 2012.

"It's a big bet for us. But it's one we think will pay off given the success of 'Lord of the Rings,'" says Emmerich. "This is one of the few movies it feels like people are waiting for."

New Line's original plan was to release the first film in December 2011, followed by the second one in December 2012. One reason for the delay may be the restructuring of MGM, which shares the financing rights with New Line for the "Hobbit" films. MGM is currently accepting bids for the studio and those rights may go to another studio (Warner Bros. is said to be one of the bidders).

Mike
(Image Image)

Post subject: Re: The Hobbit
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:47 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

3D Discussions for The Hobbit Have Begun

March 1, 2010

With all of the pervasive talk about making and converting movies into 3D over the past few months, one would expect that Guillermo del Toro's planned two-part adaptation of The Hobbit would be a no-brainer.

There were rumors that might be the case last year, which del Toro denied back in August with the following statement on the TheOneRing.net forums:

As a co-writer and director of this film (who works with the design teams, costume teams, creature teams, VFX teams every day of the week), let me be very clear one more time: we are not talking about 3D, we are NOT writing the screenplay for 3D right now- we are hiring my DoP Guillermo Navarro to shoot the film and we are not discussing 3D with him either or with WETA digital or WB or anyone else. That should be a little less sidestepping, I hope. If after AVATAR the market may change and demands are put upon us, etc that is in the future. But if such things happen and we start discussing 3D down the line, I'll let it be know here at TORN because that's the proper way of doing things. But make no mistake- I've been living in NZ for almost a year now and we have not been discussing 3D. When we do, I'll make sure your source finds out. Thank You, Guillermo.

That was six months ago and a lot has changed in Hollywood, and del Toro, a man of his words, dropped by the forums on TheOneRing.net to update the fans on whether or not the success of Avatar has changed those plans:

I wouldn't read much on it just yet, but now, after all this time, after AVATAR doing the Box Office it did, we have had [enquiries] from above about The Hobbit being in 3-D.

No impositions or heavy leaning. Just [enquiries]. Just fulfilling my promise to let you all know if discussions ever started.

Cheers

GDT

Currently The Hobbit is scheduled for release in December 2011 with the second chapter to follow a year later, although there were recent stories suggesting that the timeframe for both movies might be pushed back a year, something that making the movie in 3D might warrant.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:11 am 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

The Hobbit Films to Start Shooting in June

March 17, 2010

Ian McKellen, who is returning as Gandalf in the two films based on J. R. R. Tolkien's The Hobbit, has confirmed a report from earlier this year about the start of filming on his official website. The site says:

THE HOBBIT's, two films, start shooting in New Zealand in June. Filming will take over a year. Casting in Los Angeles, New York City and London has started. The script too proceeds. The first draft is crammed with old and new friends, again on a quest in Middle Earth.

Guillermo del Toro will direct the two highly-anticipated films.

Mike
(Image)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:27 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Andy Serkis Talks Hobbit Start Date

March 29, 2010

Earlier this month, there was some confusion about a listing on Ian McKellen's official site that said The Hobbit films would start filming in June. The next day, the site was updated to say "July" which was again changed several days later to say "at a time to be announced."

That brought us back to square one, but now Digital Spy talked to Andy Serkis at the "Jameson Empire Awards" on Sunday who revealed that the two "Hobbit" films will likely kick-off towards the end of this year. That may mean that the first film's release date will indeed have to be moved from 2011 to 2012.

So what can we expect? "I think Middle Earth will still feel like Middle Earth," Serkis told the site. "[Director] Guillermo [del Toro]'s got a particular take on how he envisions it, that's why he's there. Peter, as producer, and the writing team want a fresh pair of eyes on the story."

You can watch the interview with Serkis here.

We don't expect there will be an official announcement about The Hobbit until MGM's financial situation is sorted out in the coming weeks. The studio is considering sale bids from Time Warner and Leonard Blavatnik's Access Industries.

Mike
(Image)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:30 am 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Richard Taylor on the Dwarfs in The Hobbit

April 2, 2010

MTV talked to Weta Digital's Richard Taylor about The Hobbit films, which he says are "still in the design phase."

Taylor says he is most looking forward to developing the dwarves more. "The lovely thing about 'The Hobbit' is that the race of the dwarves comes to the forefront in the story, and [we'll depict] the uniqueness of the collection of the dwarves," Taylor said.

Taylor added that in "The Lord of the Rings" trilogy, "Gimli had an incredible presence, of course. But he was only one character. And it's fantastic to think that we're going to be able to develop the dwarves to such a higher degree... the richness of their culture. The fact that through so many different dwarfs, you'll get to appreciate their cultural differences, where they come from, them as a people."

Mike
(Image)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:20 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Peter Jackson Gives Hobbit Update

April 16, 2010

There's been a lot of speculation that the two Hobbit films have been delayed and that casting has been going on, but Peter Jackson tells Moviefone that until MGM gives the project the green light, no start date can be set and no actors can be brought on board. We're not expecting that green light from MGM until the studio is either bought or restructured, but here's the latest from Jackson:

We've just delivered the script. Literally last week, we delivered the second of the two screenplays -- the first draft. So the studio's got both scripts now, which is a milestone; and if anything was holding it up, it was us doing the screenplays, because we'd just been writing as fast as we can, but it took us this long to get them finished. So we take whatever responsibility there is for the speed. And we're now in the process of budgeting the films, and then hopefully we'll get to a budget the studio [people] are happy with, and they'll greenlight the movies and we'll announce the shooting dates. I'd be pretty optimistic that we'll be shooting before the end of the year. I would imagine October, November, we'd be shooting by. I'm not announcing it, though.

You can read what else he had to say about the casting here.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 177 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next