Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:14 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 177 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Hobbit
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:51 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

From IGN:

The Hobbit's Release Year Pushed?

The truth about when the long-awaited adaptation is coming out.

by Jim Vejvoda

April 28, 2010 - IMAX created a stir today when it issued a press release detailing its upcoming slate of releases of Warner Bros. films through 2013. In the release they said The Hobbit was slated for release in December 2013, one year later than was previously announced. And the last thing Tolkien fans want right now is another delay.

Thankfully, that's not the case. "Warner Bros. is scheduling Peter Jackson and Guillermo del Toro's two-part adaptation of The Hobbit for December 2012 and December 2013," according to The Hollywood Reporter. The press release had made it sound like the first installment was coming out in 2013, but it's really the second film.

The trade adds that development on The Hobbit remains on track: "The second movie's script was turned in to the studio a couple of weeks ago, and all parties are starting to break down the financials for the movies now."

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 5:27 am 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Guillermo del Toro Confirms Hobbit Delay

Source: comingsoon.net

May 28, 2010

Speaking moments ago at a press conference for his latest production, Splice, Guillermo del Toro responded to questions about the state of The Hobbit, saying that the film does not have a start date, nor will it until MGM sorts out its financial troubles.

"It's not greenlit," said del Toro, "That's categorical... We've been caught in a very tangled negotiation... There cannot be any start dates until the MGM situation gets resolved. They do hold a considerable portion of the rights."

Responding to rumors that the film would shoot in 3D, del Toro said that, while 3D remains a possiblity, it has been discussed "literally once" in the production offices and it is not being planned at this time. The current production budget has been drawn without 3D in mind.

Admitting no predictable timeline for a start date, del Toro theorized one possible outcome that would see MGM sharing or selling off the rights. Nevertheless, he feels confident that the film will move forward as soon as a decision is made.

"We have designed all the creatures," he said, "We've designed the sets and the wardrobe. We have done animatics and planned battles sequences.... We are very, very prepared for when it is finally triggered."

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 8:46 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Guillermo del Toro Drops Out of The Hobbit

May 30, 2010

It looks like the long and turbulent history of trying to bring J.R.R. Tolkien's The Hobbit to the screen has hit another bump in the road as director Guillermo del Toro, who has been working on the script and preproduction for the planned two films with Executive Producer Peter Jackson for close two years, today announced that he was dropping out as director. This was done as a statement to TheOneRing.net which follows:

"In light of ongoing delays in the setting of a start date for filming "The Hobbit," I am faced with the hardest decision of my life. After nearly two years of living, breathing and designing a world as rich as Tolkien's Middle Earth, I must, with great regret, take leave from helming these wonderful pictures. I remain grateful to Peter, Fran and Philippa Boyens, New Line and Warner Brothers and to all my crew in New Zealand. I've been privileged to work in one of the greatest countries on earth with some of the best people ever in our craft and my life will be forever changed. The blessings have been plenty, but the mounting pressures of conflicting schedules have overwhelmed the time slot originally allocated for the project. Both as a co-writer and as a director, I wish the production nothing but the very best of luck and I will be first in line to see the finished product. I remain an ally to it and its makers, present and future, and fully support a smooth transition to a new director."

Executive Producer Peter Jackson added:

"We feel very sad to see Guillermo leave the Hobbit, but he has kept us fully in the loop and we understand how the protracted development time on these two films, due to reasons beyond anyone's control – has compromised his commitment to other long term projects. The bottom line is that Guillermo just didn't feel he could commit six years to living in New Zealand, exclusively making these films, when his original commitment was for three years. Guillermo is one of the most remarkable creative spirits I've ever encountered and it has been a complete joy working with him. Guillermo's strong vision is engrained into the scripts and designs of these two films, which are extremely fortunate to be blessed with his creative DNA."

"Guillermo is co-writing the Hobbit screenplays with Philippa Boyens, Fran Walsh and myself, and happily our writing partnership will continue for several more months, until the scripts are fine tuned and polished. New Line and Warner Bros will sit down with us this week, to ensure a smooth and uneventful transition, as we secure a new director for the Hobbit. We do not anticipate any delay or disruption to ongoing pre-production work."

The two statements seem fairly self-explanatory, but it's a shocking decision in the light of del Toro's recent statement on the project being on indefinite hold until the issues with MGM's ownership are resolved. The news is especially surprising considering how long del Toro has been in New Zealand already working on the project, forsaking numerous other projects which he hoped to direct after finishing Hellboy 2: The Golden Army two years ago. Jackson on the other hand seems confident they can find another director and keep things rolling forward, although the first movie has already been pushed back an entire year and there seems to be no end in sight for a resolution to the status of MGM, who owns the rights to "The Hobbit," part of which kept Peter Jackson from making that movie after his hugely successful "The Lord of the Rings" trilogy.

Deadline has added more to the story, essentially confirming that Peter Jackson wouldn't step into the director's chair himself with a quote from Jackson's manager Ken Kamins:

"Peter has and has had obligations and commitments to other films that would make it impossible for him to direct The Hobbit at this time, even if it was offered, which it hasn't been. "I've been quietly working on setting up a film for him to direct while Guillermo would have been directing The Hobbit. What you saw in their respective statements must be taken at face value. All of that said, Peter and Fran's commitment to The Hobbit is total and they will do everything necessary to protect the franchise and the investment made by New Line, Warners and MGM."

Stay tuned for more developments on this highly-anticipated project if and when they arise.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:31 am 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

From IGN:

Jackson to Direct The Hobbit?

He'll do it if he has to, but obligations may prevent that.

June 1, 2010

by Jim Vejvoda

With Guillermo del Toro now off The Hobbit, there's been much speculation that the film's co-screenwriter and executive producer, Peter Jackson, would step in to replace him seeing as how he won an Oscar for helming the Lord of the Rings trilogy.

Jackson told The Dominion Post that it's possible that he could replace del Toro. "If that's what I have to do to protect Warner Bros' investment, then obviously that's one angle which I'll explore," he said. Unfortunately, he also has other obligations on his plate right now, namely directing the second film in Tintin. "The other studios may not let me out of the contracts."

Likewise, Jackson's manager, Ken Kamins, informed Thompson on Hollywood that his client can't consider "that at this time because he has and has had other commitments and obligations to other projects. That said, he and Fran [Walsh] will stop at nothing to protect this franchise and the investment made by New Line, Warners and MGM."

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:49 am 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Guillermo del Toro Comments More on Hobbit Departure

June 7, 2010

A week ago, Guillermo del Toro announced he was no longer going to direct The Hobbit films and promised the fans to comment more on his departure. He has now done so at TheOneRing.net forums and you can read his update below:

So, here I am again. As promised, I am posting a longer message before the week's end.

I have to thank those of you that have supported me from the start as well as those that converted along the way. And even say farewell to those that never did convert or believed.

I will miss Mr. Crere, the faith of Compa and Sir DennisC, the wisdom of Voronwe, the joy of Grammaboodawg, the support of Kangi Ska and so many, many others

Now, Pasi, et al- that is what is quite uncommon even on big films. Pete and co stuck to LOTR for years, I've developed films for years and I have shot many a movie on location... but rarely do you relocate for such massive amount of time specially when you have to do major ironclad agreements to put in deep freeze other contractual obligations with multiple studios.

My commitment to the project demanded enormous sacrifices both in personal and professional terms. The consequences of which will ripple for years. I relocated my entire life and family to New Zealand and first came on board in 2008.

So- while the cited delays, contractual complexities or obstacles, cannot be attributed to a single event or entity - you will simply have to believe that they were of sufficient complexity and severity to lead to the current situation. Trust me on this, Pasi- leaving NZ and the Hobbit crew is extremely painful.

As stated before- a wealth of designs, animatics, boards and sculptures is left behind representing accurately my ideas for Mirkwood, Spiders, Wargs, Stone Trolls, etc, etc and everyone (PJ, FW, PB and myself) has the same goal in mind: to try and ensure the best possible transition of the movie to a new director.

I believe these films will happen. Preproduction continues as we speak. The writing team of PJ,FW,PB and myself will keep moving the screenplays forward.

Perhaps even sooner than we may anticipate we will all look at the finished film and then- I will tear up whenever I recognize a set or a creature or a quirk created under my supervision. Everyone on these boards will get two movies. Me? I will be watching filmic family albums. Photos of my children from far away.

I hope you will understand how delicate the subject is for me.

I will drop by now and then, I will read the boards with interest and do hope to see some of you around at SDCC and many other places.

I am not here, however, to provide a blow-by-blow of what happened, but to assure you, as I have, that it has been the toughest situation of my life.

Beyond that- I am simply no longer an official voice for these projects. Be good, be well- and I invite you all to follow me into the next phase of my filmmaking journey.

Sincerely

GDT

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 1:45 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

From IGN:

Sh@# My Gandalf Says

Sir Ian Tweets us a Hobbit update.

June 11, 2010

by Phil Pirrello

Despite Guillermo del Toro's recent departure from The Hobbit, Gandalf himself, Sir Ian McKellen, assures us that a trip to the Shire will happen sooner than we think.

The only Knight we know of to have a Twitter account, McKellen recently Twitter'd that "Hobbit sets are ready, script ready and movie is casting this month. Fans are not to worry."

The actor then added that he believes shooting will start at the end of 2010. If any of this pans out, fans could presumably see the first half of The Hobbit saga in 2011, or at the latest 2012.

McKellen has used his Twitter in the past to provide legit Hobbit updates, and Gandalf wouldn't risk getting legions of LOTR fans into a geek frenzy. To do so is the farthest thing from a good idea.

Now if only Sir Ian would give us some Tweets on whether or not Peter Jackson will return to the director's chair.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:36 am 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

From IGN:

Ratner or Dobkin for The Hobbit?

But the studios really want the king to return to the director's chair.

June 15, 2010

by Matt Smith

For those of you wishing Peter Jackson would just give in already and direct The Hobbit, you are not alone. Warner Bros. and MGM are pleading with Jackson to return to the Shire and complete his billion-dollar franchise.

Deadline claims that "nobody has been offered the helming job yet - Instead Warner Bros. and MGM brass are doing all they can to sell Jackson on the seemingly obvious notion that he should complete the franchise…."

Jackson has been heavily involved in the film's preproduction, and is undoubtedly the hands on favorite pick for director by LOTR fans. However, given that MGM is on a financial lifeline, striking a directing deal with Jackson may be easier said than done.

Since Guillermo del Toro bowed out of The Hobbit two weeks ago, other directors have had their name thrown into the mix, most notably Harry Potter helmer David Yates, David Dobkin (Fred Claus) and Brett Ratner (X-Men: The Last Stand).

A recent Tweet from Ian McKellen renewed the hopes of fans by stating that a script had been finalized and sets were in place to begin shooting. A 2012 release is probable if this director debacle is resolved soon.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:20 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Photos from The Hobbit Set Construction

June 16, 2010

Images from set contruction on The Hobbit have appeared online, courtesy of the German fansite Herr-der-Ringe-Film.de.

The site, written in German, reports that these images were taken last month in New Zealand. While they do precede the recent departure of Guillermo del Toro as director, they also provide a fairly good look at exactly how much work has already been done on the films.

Click here to see the pictures.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:43 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

From IGN:

District... The Shire

Is Neill Blomkamp directing The Hobbit?

June 18, 2010

by Scott Collura

District 9 director Neill Blomkamp is sort of a protege of Peter Jackson. He almost helmed the doomed Halo movie for Jackson, who would've produced the project, and then segued right into D9, again with the Lord of the Rings filmmaker producing. You couldn't blame anyone for thinking that Blomkamp would be a natural fit to take over directing duties on Jackson's The Hobbit now that Guillermo del Toro has exited the much-anticipated project. So is he?

TheOneRing.net is discussing the matter today, and while they hasten to say that this is only hearsay right now, the site -- which does have some experience when it comes to communicating with insiders on the Rings films -- reckons that Blomkamp has the job.

"We did receive a spy report that stated it as cold, hard, unsurprising fact," says the site. "We haven't been able to get a verification but the tip stated some other information on the side that fits with other info from other sources. A bunch of little pieces of information, some rock solid, some unclear, start to form a big picture that looks like it could have Blomkamp in it."

TheOneRing notes that production is still moving forward, with the casting process in full swing and even some smaller roles possibly already set. That would seem odd without a director's approval… unless, of course, there is a director on the job already. And with Comic-Con coming up in a few weeks, it could be that the studio would rather hold the announcement of del Toro's replacement until then.

Other clues include the fact that time is of the essence for MGM and Warner Bros., but they and Jackson both need someone they can trust and be sure of. Pre-production continues on the project, seemingly unabated, and many spies are sounding off on similar notes from the production.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:56 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

From IGN:

No Hobbits for Blomkamp

The District 9 director won't be visiting Middle Earth any time soon.

June 23, 2010

by Max Nicholson

Rumor had it that District 9 director Neill Blomkamp might be helming The Hobbit after a report from the Lord of the Rings fan site, TheOneRing.net.

After dozens of media outlets covered the story, an insider at Blomkamp's agency, William Morris Endeavor, informed Vulture that Blomkamp was not directing the project. Not only that, but Endeavor stated Blomkamp wasn't even approached by either of the film's studios, MGM/United Artists or Warner Brothers.

In the meantime, the director is working on his upcoming original sci-fi movie Elysium for Media Rights Capital. Little is known about the film, but it's currently set for a 2011 release. So, for now, it looks like Blomkamp won't be making the transition from aliens to hobbit feet any time soon.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:19 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Peter Jackson in Negotiations to Direct The Hobbit Films!

Source: Deadline, Heat Vision, comingsoon.net

June 25, 2010

On May 30th, director Guillermo del Toro made the surprising announcement that he would no longer be directing The Hobbit and its follow-up. At the time, "The Lord of the Rings" trilogy director Peter Jackson said:

Guillermo is co-writing the Hobbit screenplays with Philippa Boyens, Fran Walsh and myself, and happily our writing partnership will continue for several more months, until the scripts are fine tuned and polished. New Line and Warner Bros will sit down with us this week, to ensure a smooth and uneventful transition, as we secure a new director for the Hobbit. We do not anticipate any delay or disruption to ongoing pre-production work.

Our guess is that meeting went rather well, as Jackson is now reportedly taking over the director's chair for both films, in addition to executive producing and co-writing! His deal is being negotiated right now with New Line/Warner Bros. and MGM. Jackson will have to extricate himself from other project obligations to move forward with this.

Warner Bros./New Line tells ComingSoon.net that nothing is confirmed yet.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:17 pm 
You hear that? We're using CODE names...

NO RATNER!!! God please no! I'm not sure how this guy is still ALLOWED to still direct films! :lol: :lol:

Take care

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:36 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

From IGN:

As The Hobbit Turns

The latest in the MGM/Middle-earth soap opera, and the forces reporting on it.

June 29, 2010

by Scott Collura

Remember when just last week Peter Jackson was essentially confirmed as the director of The Hobbit? Well, not so fast, some sources from inside the production are saying...

AICN's majordomo of Internet nerdom, Harry Knowles, ran an item a couple of days ago where he calls into question the scoop mentality of Web journalists (and so-called journalists). Yes, it's ironic that Knowles of all people should be the one making such a valid point, but there you have it. He specifically is taking umbrage at Deadline's Michael Fleming, who along with his dread lord Nikki Finke has practically cornered the market on breaking industry news and made old-school trades like Variety (Fleming's former employer) virtual dinosaurs seemingly overnight.

Knowles seems to think that Fleming's stories are "filled with [his] reading into what he perceives is going on" with projects like The Hobbit, as opposed to being based on hard news. "I thought that's what disqualified me from being an official journalist," says the AICN boss. "So I guess Michael Fleming is no different than the rest of us now. Getting pieces that don't quite fit and speculating publicly about them out of fear of being beat to the scoop. I guess I shouldn't be upset at Fleming's fill in the blanks approach to journalism now. After all it is the way of things these days."

He then quotes his own anonymous source on The Hobbit, who appears to be Peter Jackson himself and says that nothing has really changed and, no, he's still not locked to direct the film as MGM continues to struggle with its financial issues and uncertain future.

"The studio are working out what that deal would look like, because how else do they know if it's a viable option?" says the source. "But it's honestly one of several different options -- many irons are in the fire right now. What's of great concern to everyone right now is trying to stay on schedule and not slip back another year, because we will start losing people -- and that's increasingly difficult as each day passes. A lot of people -- both filmmakers and studios are working very hard right now, trying to get a positive outcome here."

Seemingly in response to Knowles in part, or at the very least as a defensive gesture, Fleming is today putting the brakes on his Jackson-as-director scoop from last week.

"There's no certainty that MGM creditors will respond to the urgency that Jackson's reps are ready to make a deal," says Fleming. "Now the MGM creditors also must decide either to commit MGM's half of the production costs for the two [Hobbit] films or take available outside funding, all before the studio works out its future ownership strategy. If the creditors don't seize on the momentum, MGM risks losing its chance to release the first film in December 2012. (The second film would follow a year later.) And there is a good chance that Jackson will change his mind, meaning that inaction costs the studio an enormous opportunity."

As they say, nobody knows anything…

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:42 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

From IGN:

Gandalf's Hobbit Frustration

Ian McKellan says time is running out for fantasy flick.

UK, July 6, 2010

by Chris Tilly IGN UK

While doing the press rounds for play "Waiting for Godot" in New Zealand, Ian McKellen has been discussing the troubles behind-the-scenes on The Hobbit, explaining that the delays could result in his departure.

"I've got no news to give you," he told New Zealand's Good Morning show of the production. "Except that an announcement is imminent, but what it will be I genuinely don't know."

However, with the troubles at MGM resulting in the start date being pushed back yet further, McKellen says he is happy to stick with theatre for the foreseeable future.

"Well, I'm not under contract and my time is running out, and I'm enjoying working in the theatre," he explained. "Frankly, I would like to race after doing Waiting for Godot, get on with doing another play, but we'll have to see. I don't want give the producers the impression that I'm sitting waiting."

So it sounds like even Gandalf is losing patience with the long-gestating project. Thanks to BleedingCool for the heads up, and let's hope this situation can be sorted sooner rather than later.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:29 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

From IGN:

Jackson Casting The Hobbit

Director proceeding despite MGM's financial woes.

July 13, 2010

by Matt Smith

The Hobbit is still not an officially green-lighted picture due to the financial straits of MGM, but encouraging signs are starting to emerge.

According to The Hollywood Reporter, Peter Jackson is on a casting trip to meet with the film's actors. Jackson has made stops in the U.K. and New York, and is currently in Los Angeles to work with casting director Victoria Burrows.

With the exception of returns by Ian McKellen and Hugo Weaving, much of the cast remains unknown, but hopefully this will lead to some updates in the near future.

Warner Bros. is now in heavy negotiations with MGM to get cameras rolling soon, as Jackson has expressed that he only wants to stick around if part one of The Hobbit gets a 2012 release date. According to THR, the only way Warners could fund the film themselves would be with a sign off from MGM.

Jackson's casting trip seems to hint that he has confidence the MGM/Warner talks will be resolved soon, and that production can finally begin on these long awaited prequels.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 177 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12  Next