Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:41 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 177 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Hobbit
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:23 am 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

The Hobbit Casting Announced!

Source: comingsoon.net

October 21, 2010

Martin Freeman, Richard Armitage, Rob Kazinsky, Aidan Turner, Graham McTavish, John Callen, Stephen Hunter, Mark Hadlow and Peter Hambleton have joined the ensemble cast of The Hobbit, it was jointly announced today by Toby Emmerich, President and Chief Operating Officer, New Line Cinema; Alan Horn, President and Chief Operating Officer, Warner Bros.; Steve Cooper, co-Chief Executive Officer of Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Inc., and Peter Jackson.

Since The Hobbit films received a green light on October 15, pre-production has been in full swing. Set for release in December, 2012 and December, 2013, we can confirm that Martin Freeman (The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, Hot Fuzz) will play Bilbo Baggins, the hero of the story. Richard Armitage (UK TV's "MI-5" and soon to appear in Captain America: The First Avenger) is set to play Thorin Oakenshield, the leader of the Company of Dwarves which sets off to reclaim the Lonely Mountain from a thieving dragon.

"Despite the various rumors and speculation surrounding this role, there has only ever been one Bilbo Baggins for us," says Peter Jackson. "There are a few times in your career when you come across an actor who you know was born to play a role, but that was the case as soon as I met Martin. He is intelligent, funny, surprising and brave - exactly like Bilbo and I feel incredibly proud to be able to announce that he is our Hobbit."

He adds: "Richard is one of the most exciting and dynamic actors working on screen today and we know he is going to make an amazing Thorin Oakensheild. We cannot wait to start this adventure with him and feel very lucky that one of the most beloved characters in Middle-earth is in such good hands."

Rounding out the Company of Dwarves are Aidan Turner (TV's "Being Human") and Rob Kazinsky (TVs "EastEnders") who play Kili and Fili, respectively. Jackson comments, "Rob is an extremely talented young actor with a huge career in front of him, I'm thrilled that he has agreed to take on the role of Fili. Besides his talent as an actor, Rob is also a champion sword fighter; I'm looking forward to seeing the damage he can do to a horde of marauding Goblins!" He continues, "Adian is a wonderfully gifted young actor who hails from Ireland. I'm sure he will bring enormous heart and humor to the role of Kili."

The remaining dwarves will be played by Graham McTavish (Secretariat and TV's "24") as Dwalin; John Callen (TV's "Power Rangers Jungle Fury") as Oin; Stephen Hunter (TV's "All Saints") as Bombur; Mark Hadlow (King Kong) as Dori; and Peter Hambleton (TV's "The Strip") as Gloin.

Jackson notes, "Graham is a terrific actor, with a great depth of experience, which I know he will bring to the role of "Dwalin. I have worked with Mark Hadlow on many projects; he is a fantastic actor. I am thrilled to be working with both of them on these movies. He adds, "I am also proud to announce the casting of New Zealand actors as Peter Hambleton, John Callen and Stephen Hunter. Fran and I know that they will bring great depth and talent to our Company of Dwarves."

The two "The Hobbit" films are being co-produced by New Line Cinema and MGM, with New Line managing production, Warner Bros Pictures handling domestic distribution and MGM distributing internationally. Peter Jackson, Fran Walsh and Carolynne Cunningham are producing the films, with Phillipa Boyens serving as co-producer and Ken Kamins as executive producer.

(Left to Right: Richard Armitage, Mark Hadlow, Stephen Hunter, Rob Kazinsky, Graham McTavish and Aidan Turner)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 3:37 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

From IGN:

Hobbit Battle Reaches Fever Pitch

Jackson takes to TV to state his case as relocation decision looms.

October 23, 2010

by Jim Vejvoda

The battle of Helm's Deep was a skirmish compared with the epic struggle to keep The Hobbit in New Zealand. Sir Peter Jackson, director of The Hobbit, and co-screenwriter Philippa Boyens have taken to the airwaves to state their case about the union brouhaha that might cause Warner Bros. to relocate the two-part epic's production out of New Zealand, which would land a severe blow commercially and morale-wise to the nation's film industry.

Deadline points out the interview embedded below that Jackson and Boyens did with a New Zealand TV news program where the Oscar-winning duo aired their grievances and articulated why the damage done to the production is quite likely enough to make Warners execs, who are due to visit them Monday, move the film to another country (more than likely Eastern Europe). The piece also includes interviews with an actors' union official as well as a government minister, both of whom state their respective sides of the story. Check it out:

We should know by early next week whether The Shire will remain in New Zealand or end up in, say, Romania. Regardless of where it will shoot, The Hobbit starts filming this February.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:20 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

James Nesbitt and Adam Brown Join The Hobbit

November 1, 2010

British actor James Nesbitt (Millions and TV's "Cold Feet") has joined the ensemble cast of The Hobbit, it was jointly announced today by Toby Emmerich, President and Chief Operating Officer, New Line Cinema; Alan Horn, President and Chief Operating Officer, Warner Bros.; and Steve Cooper, co-Chief Executive Officer of MGM.

Nesbitt will play Bofur, a disarmingly forthright, funny and occasionally brave Dwarf. "James's charm, warmth and wit are legendary as is his range as an actor in both comedic and dramatic roles. We feel very lucky to be able to welcome him as one of our cast." said director Peter Jackson.

Newcomer Adam Brown will play Ori, another of the Dwarf Company which sets out to reclaim the Lonely Mountain from the infamous dragon, Smaug. Jackson comments, "Adam is a wonderfully expressive actor and has a unique screen presence. I look forward to seeing him bring Ori to life."

Nesbitt and Brown will join the cast announced on October 21, which includes Martin Freeman, Richard Armitage (soon to appear in Captain America: The First Avenger), Aidan Turner (TV's "Being Human"), Rob Kazinsky (TVs "EastEnders"), Graham McTavish (Secretariat), John Callen (TV's "Power Rangers Jungle Fury"), Stephen Hunter (TV's "All Saints"), Mark Hadlow (King Kong) and Peter Hambleton (TV's "The Strip").

Since The Hobbit films received a green light on October 15, pre-production has been in full swing with release dates set for December, 2012 and December, 2013. The two The Hobbit films are being co-produced by New Line Cinema and MGM, with New Line managing production, Warner Bros Pictures handling domestic distribution and MGM distributing internationally.

Peter Jackson, Fran Walsh and Carolynne Cunningham are producing the films, with co-writer Philippa Boyens serving as co-producer and Ken Kamins as executive producer. The Oscar-winning, critically acclaimed "LOTR" trilogy, also from the production team of Jackson, Walsh and Cunningham, grossed nearly $3 billion worldwide at the box office. In 2003, "Return of the King swept the Academy Awards, winning all of the 11 categories in which it was nominated, including Best Picture – the first ever Best Picture win for a fantasy film. The trilogy’'s production was also unprecedented at the time.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:06 am 
Still ahead of Mudd

SDcomics wrote:
"Despite the various rumors and speculation surrounding this role, there has only ever been one Bilbo Baggins for us," says Peter Jackson. "There are a few times in your career when you come across an actor who you know was born to play a role, but that was the case as soon as I met Martin. He is intelligent, funny, surprising and brave - exactly like Bilbo and I feel incredibly proud to be able to announce that he is our Hobbit."

So does that mean they miscast this role when he did the Fellowship of the rings and the other guy was his Bilbo.....

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:05 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

From IGN:

McKellen Not Signed for The Hobbit

Gandalf appears tired of waiting for that call to come.

November 3, 2010

by Jim Vejvoda

Sir Ian McKellen is waiting, Mr. Jackson.

The actor, who played the wizard Gandalf in the Lord of the Rings trilogy, tells Broadway World that he "is not under contract" to appear in Jackson's two-part adaptation of The Hobbit.

"I'm not going to say any more than that because it might complicate things! So, I would say - at the moment - no, I am not under contract," said McKellen. He added, laughing, "I'm not saying any more than what I've said!"

Oh, but of course he did say more than that. McKellen added cryptically, "I'm keeping myself open for offers for 2011. I gather The Hobbit starts shooting in February."

And we gather McKellen either wants to know for sure he's onboard for it or move onto his next gig. Consider yourselves warned by the great Gandalf, powers-that-be!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:25 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

From IGN:

The Beatles Meets Lord of the Rings

The Hobbits almost took a Magical Mystery Tour.

November 8, 2010

by Jim Vejvoda

A lot of people wanted to turn The Lord of the Rings into a feature film before Ralph Bakshi and Peter Jackson made their respective adaptations. Among those interested in bringing the fantasy lit classic to the screen were none other than The Beatles.

Blastr.com unearthed this years-old interview Jackson did with People wherein the LOTR helmer recalled the Fab Four's aborted adaptation. John Lennon would have played Gollum, Paul McCartney as Frodo Baggins, George Harrison as Gandalf and Ringo Starr as Samwise Gamgee. Blastr says Lennon approached Stanley Kubrick about directing it.

"It was something John was driving and J.R.R. Tolkien still had the film rights at that stage, but he didn't like the idea of the Beatles doing it. So he killed it," Jackson said at the time. "There probably would've been some good songs coming off the album."

Think about all the countless pun titles alone this film could have generated. Strawberry Shires Forever. Eleanor Ringby. Sgt. Frodo's Lonely Hearts Club Fellowship. Paperback Strider. The Ballad of John and Frodo. The Long and Winding Road to Mordor. The Fool of a Took on the Hill. I am the Balrog. Legolas in the Sky With Diamonds. Pippin Lane. We Can Orc it Out. Good Day Sauron. You Really Got a Hold on Me (the One Ring's theme).

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:29 am 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Howard Shore Returns for The Hobbit

November 18, 2010

The Province has some good news for "The Lord of the Rings" fans. Composer Howard Shore told the newspaper that he'll be back for both The Hobbit films...

And now it looks like Shore is going back to Middle Earth with Rings director Peter Jackson. The long-awaited two-part movie adaptation of Tolkien's The Hobbit is in the works.

"We've talked about making these movies for many years, at least since 2002," Shore says.

"It looks like finally it's going to be happening. I'll be working on it for the next three years -- it's going to consume a lot of my time and work now."

The first film is scheduled to hit theaters in December of 2012, followed by the second in December of 2013.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:35 am 
too much stick, not enough carrot

So is McKellen signed on for this thing or not? I hope they don't screw this up and just assume he's on board...

DC/WB is all like "Wonder Woman's too confusing for a movie!" and Marvel/Disney is all like "Here's a raccoon with a machine gun".

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:42 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

The Shire is Ready to Go for The Hobbit

November 27, 2010

In the latest issue of the British movie magazine Total Film they offer a preview of Peter Jackson's The Hobbit, which will start production soon after years of delays and setbacks. Months ago, we saw a little bit of Hobbiton, Bilbo Baggins' home in The Shire, being built in New Zealand, but thanks to the pictures in the latest issue, we can see that building on that distinctive set is pretty much complete. The preview of the issue they've put on their site is fairly small so we can't get a lot of details but surely, there's some stuff of note that can be found if you buy the physical magazine on the newstand.

The Hobbit is currently scheduled for release in December 2012.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:08 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

The Hobbit to be Shot in 3D with EPIC Digital Cameras

November 28, 2010

RED Studios Hollywood announced today that The Hobbit films will be shot in 3D using the upcoming EPIC Digital Cameras:

RED announces that Peter Jackson's two film adaptation of The Hobbit will be shot in 3D using RED DIGITAL CINEMA'S soon to be released EPIC Digital Cameras.

The successor to RED's industry changing RED ONE, the EPIC has 5K resolution, can shoot up to 120 frames per second and has a new HDRx™ mode for the highest dynamic range of any digital cinema camera ever made. Taking everything they had learned from building their first camera, RED designed the EPIC from scratch and have produced a smaller, lighter camera that is an order of magnitude more powerful.

The Hobbit will be amongst the first productions in the world to use the EPIC and at least thirty cameras will be required by the 3-D production. The EPIC'S small size and relatively low weight, makes it perfect for 3-D - where two cameras have to be mounted on each 3D rig.

Jackson has a long history with RED, dating back to when he directed the short film 'Crossing the Line' as a very early test of prototype RED ONE cameras. "I have always liked the look of Red footage." he says, "I'm not a scientist or mathematician, but the image Red produces has a much more filmic feel than most of the other digital formats. I find the picture quality appealing and attractive, and with the Epic, Jim and his team have gone even further. It is a fantastic tool, the Epic not only has cutting edge technology, incredible resolution and visual quality, but it is also a very practical tool for film makers. Many competing digital systems require the cameras to be tethered to large cumbersome VTR machines. The Epic gives us back the ability to be totally cable free, even when working in stereo."

Jim Jannard the owner and founder of RED flew to New Zealand earlier this year with members of his team so that Jackson could test the EPIC and assess its suitability. "Everybody at RED is incredibly proud that Peter has chosen the Epic" says Jannard, "The Hobbit is a major production, and could have chosen any camera system that they wanted. The fact that they went with us is extremely gratifying."

The Hobbit will start shooting in New Zealand early next year.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:55 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

From IGN:

The Hobbit Set for McKellen and 3D

Red announces Jackson to shoot films on Epic digital cameras.

November 29, 2010

by Jim Vejvoda

It appears that Ian McKellen will indeed return to The Shire for the two-part adaptation of The Hobbit. McKellen recently said that he had yet to sign a contract for the two-part film

TheOneRing.net points out this update at McKellen's official site that seemingly confirms his return as Gandalf: "The Hobbit's, two films, start shooting in New Zealand in February 2011. Filming will take over a year. Casting in Los Angeles, New York City and London has started. The script too proceeds. The first draft is crammed with old and new friends, again on a quest in Middle Earth."

In related news, Red has announced that The Hobbit will be shot in 3D using Red Digital Cinema's soon to be released Epic Digital Cameras. The Hobbit will be amongst the first productions in the world to use the Epic and at least thirty cameras will be required by the 3D production. The Epic'S small size and relatively low weight, makes it perfect for 3D - where two cameras have to be mounted on each 3D rig.

"I have always liked the look of Red footage," said Hobbit director Peter Jackson in a statement. "I'm not a scientist or mathematician, but the image Red produces has a much more filmic feel than most of the other digital formats. I find the picture quality appealing and attractive, and with the Epic, Jim [Jannard, owner and founder of Red] and his team have gone even further. It is a fantastic tool, the Epic not only has cutting edge technology, incredible resolution and visual quality, but it is also a very practical tool for film makers. Many competing digital systems require the cameras to be tethered to large cumbersome VTR machines. The Epic gives us back the ability to be totally cable free, even when working in stereo."

Finally, Total Film has posted some spy photos of the Shire set in New Zealand.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:57 am 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Exclusive: No Hobbit for Ron Perlman

Source: ComingSoon.net

November 30, 2010

Ron Perlman confirmed today in an exclusive interview with ComingSoon.net that he will not be appearing in Peter Jackson's two-part adaptation of The Hobbit.

"I'm not doing [it]," Perlman said, adding with a laugh, "I think maybe that's a scoop for you."

Perlman, who has worked closely with director Guillermo del Toro, was heavily rumored to be up for a part in the film. The Hellboy director ended up leaving the project earlier this year due to production delays and it would seem that, likewise, Perlman has made other plans.

In addition to voicing a character in Tangled, Perlman will soon appear opposite Nicolas Cage in Season of the Witch and plans to again work with del Toro in the H.P. Lovecraft adaptation At the Mountains of Madness in addition to a number of other film and television projects. Check back soon for the full interview and more details.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:20 am 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Blanchett, Stott, McCoy and Persbrandt Confirmed for The Hobbit

December 7, 2010

New Line/Warner Bros. has officially announced that Cate Blanchett, Ken Stott, Sylvester McCoy, Mikael Persbrandt, Ryan Gage, Jed Brophy and William Kircher are on board for The Hobbit films!

Cate Blanchett, Ken Stott, Sylvester McCoy and Mikael Persbrandt have joined the cast of Peter Jackson's highly anticipated adaptation of J.R.R. Tolkien's epic 'The Hobbit.' Also joining them are Ryan Gage, Jed Brophy and William Kircher. The films, which are scheduled to commence principal photography in February 2011, mark Jackson's return to Middle-earth following his Oscar-winning 'Lord of the Rings' trilogy. The announcement was made jointly today by Toby Emmerich, President and Chief Operating Officer, New Line Cinema, Alan Horn, President and Chief Operating Officer, Warner Bros. and Steve Cooper, co-Chief Executive Officer of Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Inc.

Jackson, who directed all three 'Lord of the Rings' films, will helm the two films back-to-back, telling the story of 'The Hobbit' in two parts from a screenplay by Jackson, Fran Walsh, Philippa Boyens and Guillermo del Toro.

Cate Blanchett ('Lord of The Rings' trilogy, 'The Curious Case of Benjamin Button') will reprise her role from 'Lord of The Rings' trilogy as Galadriel, the Lady of Lothlorien. Ken Stott ('Charlie Wilson's War', TV's 'Rebus') will play the Dwarf Lord Balin, Sylvester McCoy (TV's 'Doctor Who') will play the wizard Radagast the Brown and well-known Swedish actor, Mikael Persbrandt ('Everlasting Moments', 'Day and Night') will play the shape-shifter Beorn. British actor Ryan Gage ('Outlaw', TV's 'Doctors') will play Drogo Baggins, with New Zealand actors Jed Brophy ('Lord of The Rings' trilogy, 'District 9') playing the role of the dwarf Nori, and William Kircher ('Out of the Blue'; TV's 'Legend of the Seeker') rounding out the company of Thorin Oakensheild in role of the dwarf Bifur.

Peter Jackson welcomed the news of Cate Blanchett's return to Middle-earth 'Cate is one of my favorite actors to work with and I couldn't be more thrilled to have her reprise the role she so beautifully brought to life in the earlier films' On the casting of Scottish actor Ken Stott, Jackson commented 'Fran and I have long been fans of Ken's work and are excited he will be joining us on this journey.' Jackson also welcomed the addition to the cast of Swedish actor, Mikael Persbrandt 'The role of Beorn is an iconic one and Mikael was our first choice for the part. Since seeing him read for the role we can't imagine anyone else playing this character.'

The actors join the previously announced cast including Martin Freeman (TV's 'Sherlock,' 'Breaking and Entering') as Bilbo Baggins, Richard Armitage (upcoming 'Captain America: The First Avenger'), Aidan Turner (TV's 'Being Human'), Rob Kazinsky (TVs 'EastEnders'), Graham McTavish ('Secretariat'), John Callen (TV's 'Power Rangers Jungle Fury'), Stephen Hunter (TV's 'All Saints'), Mark Hadlow ('King Kong') and Peter Hambleton (TV's 'The Strip'). Additional cast announcements include James Nesbitt ('Millions' and TV's 'Cold Feet') and newcomer Adam Brown.

'The Hobbit' films received a green light on October 15, and have release dates targeted for December, 2012 and December, 2013. Jackson will utilize groundbreaking visual effects and his incomparable storytelling to bring J.R.R. Tolkien's novel to the big screen. Both 'Hobbit' movies will be filmed in Digital 3-D, using the latest camera and stereo technology to create a high quality, comfortable viewing experience.

The two films are being co-produced by New Line Cinema and MGM, with New Line managing production, Warner Bros Pictures handling domestic distribution and MGM distributing internationally.

Peter Jackson, Fran Walsh and Carolynne Cunningham are producing the films, with co-writer Philippa Boyens serving as co-producer and Ken Kamins and Zane Weiner as executive producers. The Oscar-winning, critically acclaimed 'The Lord of the Rings' trilogy, also from the production team of Jackson, Walsh and Cunningham, grossed nearly $3 billion worldwide at the box office.. In 2003, 'The Return of the King' swept the Academy Awards, winning all of the 11 categories in which it was nominated, including Best Picture – the first ever Best Picture win for a fantasy film. The trilogy's production was also unprecedented at the time.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:24 am 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Orlando Bloom Back as Legolas in The Hobbit?

December 9, 2010

While we haven't received official word that Ian McKellen will return as Gandalf, Andy Serkis as Gollum and Hugo Weaving as Elrond in The Hobbit (all three have been rumored, but the studio has not confirmed), Deadline says that Orlando Bloom is near a deal to return as Legolas, who he played in "The Lord of the Rings" trilogy.

Though Legolas is not in "The Hobbit" book (neither is Cate Blanchett's Galadriel, who is returning as well), the site adds that the role is more than a cameo.

About McKellen, Serkis and Weaving, Deadline mentions that "those talks have been arduous and aren't completed yet."

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:41 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

WB to Handle Worldwide Distribution of The Hobbit

January 6, 2011

Warner Bros. Pictures and MGM announced today that Warner Bros. will handle worldwide distribution of The Hobbit films:

Roger Birnbaum and Gary Barber, MGM Co-Chairman and Chief Executive Officers, Toby Emmerich, President and Chief Operating Officer, New Line Cinema and Alan Horn, President and Chief Operating Officer, Warner Bros. Pictures today announced that MGM and Warner Bros have concluded a deal for Warner Bros. Pictures to handle international theatrical and video distribution responsibilities on MGM's behalf for Peter Jackson's highly anticipated adaptation of J.R.R. Tolkien's "The Hobbit". This arrangement results in Warner Bros. Pictures handling the bulk of worldwide distribution, while MGM will handle international television licensing for the films. MGM and WB will work collaboratively to coordinate marketing and release plans worldwide.

Jackson, who directed all three "The Lord of the Rings" films, will helm the two films back-to-back, telling the story of "The Hobbit" from screenplays written by Jackson, Fran Walsh, Philippa Boyens and Guillermo del Toro.

The two "Hobbit" films are set to begin production in February 2011, with release dates targeted for December 2012 and December 2013. Jackson will utilize groundbreaking visual effects and his incomparable storytelling to bring Tolkien's novel to the big screen. Both "Hobbit" movies will be filmed in Digital 3-D, using the latest camera and stereo technology to create a high quality, comfortable viewing experience.

Peter Jackson, Fran Walsh and Carolynne Cunningham are producing the films for New Line, Warner Bros and MGM, with co-writer Philippa Boyens serving as co-producer and Ken Kamins and Zane Weiner as executive producers. The Oscar-winning, critically acclaimed "The Lord of the Rings" trilogy, also from the production team of Jackson, Walsh and Cunningham, grossed nearly $3 billion worldwide at the box office. In 2003, "The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King" swept the Academy Awards, winning all of the 11 categories in which it was nominated, including Best Picture - the first ever Best Picture win for a fantasy film. The trilogy's production was also unprecedented at the time.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 177 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 12  Next