Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 177 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Hobbit
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:36 am 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Elijah Wood Likely to Return for The Hobbit

Source: comingsoon.net

January 7, 2011

Since it was announced, The Hobbit has spawned rumors that characters from the original three films would make an appearance despite their not appearing specifically in the original text of J.R.R. Tolkein's novel.

Earlier today, Deadline offered more specific details, indicating that the actors likely to return include Orlando Bloom and Elijah Wood in addition to the more obvious potential casting of Ian McKellen and Andy Serkis (whose characters both play prominent roles in the original story).

Though nothing is guaranteed at this time, TheOneRing.net suggests that Wood, at least, is a near certainty and offers some spoilers as to how his appearance is planned to play out, which you can read about by clicking here.

The two Hobbit films are expected to go into production next month.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:21 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

UPDATE: Less than 24 hours after Deadline suggested that Elijah Wood would be returning, ComingSoon.net has received confirmation from the actor's reps that Wood will indeed be returning and that he's confirmed to star in the film. They've also informed us that Wood and comedian Eddie Izzard will be starring in the SKY TV mini-series based on Robert Louis Stevenson's literary classic "Treasure Island," playing Ben Gunn. It will be directed by Steve Barron, who directed the original Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" as well as some of the classic music videos of the '80s including the seemingly pregonative "Video Killed the Radio Star."

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:40 pm 
Aspires to be #1

I just recently read the Hobbit and I have no idea what they're planning with all of these LOTR characters. Frodo certainly has no part in that story. He's not even mentioned.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:24 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Andy Serkis to Return for The Hobbit

January 11, 2011

Though it comes as no surprise, official word that Andy Serkis has signed on for The Hobbit should make fans very pleased.

Serkis is best known, of course, for his motion-capture performance in the role of Gollum in the original Lord of the Rings films. The character made his first literary appearance in J.R.R. Tolkien's The Hobbit, confronting Bilbo in the chapter "Riddles in the Dark," which also features a very familiar golden ring.

More actors are expected to sign on for the two-part Peter Jackson film in the near future, including Christopher Lee as Saruman and Ian Holm as an older Bilbo Baggins.

Here's the official press release on Serkis and Elijah Wood's return:

Elijah Wood and Andy Serkis are set to join the cast of Peter Jackson’s highly anticipated adaptation of J.R.R. Tolkien’s epic “The Hobbit.” The films, which are scheduled to commence principal photography in February 2011, mark Jackson’s return to Middle-earth following his Oscar-winning “Lord of the Rings” trilogy. The announcement was made jointly today by Toby Emmerich, President and Chief Operating Officer, New Line Cinema, Alan Horn, President and Chief Operating Officer, Warner Bros. and Steve Cooper, co-Chief Executive Officer of Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Inc.

Jackson, who directed all three “Lord of the Rings” films, will helm the two films back-to-back, telling the story of “The Hobbit” in two parts from a screenplay by Jackson, Fran Walsh, Philippa Boyens and Guillermo del Toro.

Elijah Wood (“The Lord of The Rings” trilogy, “Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind”) will be returning to play Frodo Baggins the young cousin of Bilbo Baggins and Andy Serkis (“The Lord of The Rings” trilogy, “King Kong”) will be returning to play the character Gollum.

Peter Jackson welcomed the two back. "I cannot imagine returning to Middle-earth without these two wonderful actors. We began this journey together ten years ago and I couldn't be more thrilled to be working with Elijah and Andy again."

The actors join the previously announced cast including Martin Freeman (TV’s “Sherlock,” “Breaking and Entering”) as Bilbo Baggins, Cate Blanchett (“Lord of The Rings” trilogy, “The Curious Case of Benjamin Button”). Ken Stott (“Charlie Wilson’s War”, TV’s “Rebus”), Sylvester McCoy (TV’s “Doctor Who”), Mikael Persbrandt (“Everlasting Moments”, “Day and Night”). Ryan Gage (“Outlaw”, TV’s “Doctors”). Richard Armitage (upcoming “Captain America: The First Avenger”), Aidan Turner (TV’s “Being Human”), Rob Kazinsky (TVs “EastEnders”), Graham McTavish (“Secretariat”), John Callen (TV’s “Power Rangers Jungle Fury”), Stephen Hunter (TV’s “All Saints”), Mark Hadlow (“King Kong”) and Peter Hambleton (TV’s “The Strip”). Additional cast announcements include James Nesbitt (“Millions” and TV’s “Cold Feet”) Jed Brophy (“Lord of The Rings” trilogy, “District 9”), William Kircher (“Out of the Blue”) and newcomer Adam Brown.

Since “The Hobbit” films received a green light on October 15, pre-production has been in full swing with release dates targeted for December, 2012 and December, 2013. Jackson will utilize groundbreaking visual effects and his incomparable storytelling to bring J.R.R. Tolkien’s novel to the big screen. Both “Hobbit” movies will be filmed in Digital 3-D, using the latest camera and stereo technology to create a high quality, comfortable viewing experience.

The two films are being co-produced by New Line Cinema and MGM, with New Line managing production, Warner Bros Pictures handling domestic distribution and MGM distributing internationally.

Peter Jackson, Fran Walsh and Carolynne Cunningham are producing the films, with co-writer Philippa Boyens serving as co-producer and Ken Kamins and Zane Weiner as executive producers. The Oscar-winning, critically acclaimed “The Lord of the Rings” trilogy, also from the production team of Jackson, Walsh and Cunningham, grossed nearly $3 billion worldwide at the box office.. In 2003, “The Return of the King” swept the Academy Awards, winning all of the 11 categories in which it was nominated, including Best Picture – the first ever Best Picture win for a fantasy film. The trilogy’s production was also unprecedented at the time.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:32 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Ian McKellen Confirmed for The Hobbit

January 11, 2011

Hot on the heels of the news that Andy Serkis will return for The Hobbit comes word from The Hollywood Reporter that Ian McKellen has signed on for the two-film adaptation as well.

McKellen, of course, made iconic the cinematic version of Gandalf with his portrayal of the wizard in the three Lord of the Rings films. The character plays a huge role in the original J.R.R. Tolkien text for The Hobbit and, with McKellen aboard, news of Christopher Lee and Ian Holm signing on to reprise their parts as Saruman and an older Bilbo Baggins, respectively, is expected to follow.

UPDATE: Ian McKellen has updated his official site with the following statement:

All I had to decide was what to do with the time that is given me.

I’m 71 and fit: though at my age who knows what accident is 'round the next corner? For a year or more, I have been arranging my professional commitments around the possibility of The Hobbit films starting at almost anytime. We brought the Waiting for Godot tour of Australia to New Zealand early 2010, assuming I would stay on to start shooting soon after. Then there was yet another delay: but in Wellington I met with Guillermo del Toro and later read his script for Part One, written with the LOTR writing team. It was true to the style, the fun and the romance of the trilogy.

When Peter Jackson, already producing, resumed the director’s chair, he kept me in touch with developments. A second screenplay was sent over, on the understanding that I would not talk about what I read in it.

After the ruckus over trade union expectations and unlikely rumours of filming outside New Zealand, suddenly crucial casting was announced, plus a start date in February 2011. Martin Freeman as Bilbo sounds perfect. As my agent continued to negotiate with Warner Brothers, I kept wondering was Gandalf what I most wanted to do, more than a new play for instance or indeed a new part? Sequels aren’t necessarily as rewarding to act in as their originals.

Could I let Gandalf go? Would anyone else care if I did? Elsewhere, does anyone care that Michael Gambon was not the first to play Dumbledore?

The deciding negotiation was not about money but about dates. Gandalf is needed on set over the next 18 months but with sizeable breaks when I can work on other projects. My worry that I could not easily escape from Middle Earth was lifted.

I am happy to say I start filming in Wellington on February 21 2011.

--Ian McKellen, London, January 2011

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:00 am 
too much stick, not enough carrot

FINALLY. While I'm sure another actor COULD have portrayed Gandalf, I'm glad it's no longer an issue. Really looking forward to a return to Middle Earth.

DC/WB is all like "Wonder Woman's too confusing for a movie!" and Marvel/Disney is all like "Here's a raccoon with a machine gun".

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:19 am 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

They better get a move on, though. He's not getting any younger.

The Dumbledore reference is kinda creepy. Let's not tempt fate, shall we, Ian?

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:32 am 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

From IGN:

The Hobbit: Elijah Wood on Frodo's Return

We talk to Wood about his role in the prequel films.

January 12, 2011

by Eric Goldman

Elijah Wood was at the FOX/FX TCA (Television Critics Association) party Tuesday night, in support of his upcoming FX comedy series, Wilfred. I managed to speak to Wood at the event, and got his thoughts about his just-announced return to the role of Frodo Baggins in The Hobbit.

The cast of The Lord of the Rings, Wood included, have spoken at length in the past about what a special experience it was for them to make those films. That being the case, I asked Wood if he'd entertained the notion through the years that he might ever get the chance to reprise his role someday.

Replied Wood, "No, we thought we were finished and the character doesn't even exist in [the book of] The Hobbit, so it was not even a pipe dream to imagine the possibility would be there for me to reprise the role of Frodo. But they've come up with something that I think is kind of interesting and I think very fitting that doesn't necessarily infringe upon the integrity of the original novel. It's great. I'm really excited."

"Those films marked a huge, massive experience in my life," Wood continued. "It's been 11 years, basically, since I went to New Zealand, so it'll be a beautiful reunion and I'm just excited to go back and see everybody again."

As for how much screen time we should look for Wood to have in the two Hobbit films, the actor said, "I think it'll be relatively minimal. That's my impression. I actually haven't read anything yet. I haven't read a script. I have almost as much information as you guys have!"

Wood told me he'll be going to New Zealand sometime in February to begin work on The Hobbit.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:59 am 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Peter Jackson Surgery Causes Slight Hobbit Delay

Source: ComingSoon.net

January 27, 2011

A publicist for The Hobbit films today released a statement that Peter Jackson's has had emergency surgery:

"Sir Peter Jackson was admitted to Wellington Hospital on Wednesday night with acute stomach pains. He subsequently underwent surgery for a perforated ulcer. Sir Peter is currently resting comfortably and his doctors expect him to make a full recovery. Sir Peter's surgery is not expected to impact on his directing commitment to The Hobbit beyond a slight delay to the start of filming."

The two films are expected to start filming soon for December 2012 and December 2013 release dates.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:07 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Saoirse Ronan Joins The Hobbit

January 27, 2011

Saoirse Ronan has joined the cast of The Hobbit, according to an interview with casting director Ros Hubbard conducted by The Irish Film & Television Network.

Though her part is still unknown, Ronan is listed alongside fellow Irish actors Aidan Turner and James Nesbitt.

"[W]orking with Peter Jackson is like working with a family," says Hubbard, "So they’ll have a great time. Saoirse’s family will go too. Everyone is very close and very loving on those sorts of jobs. It’s not like typical studio movies at all."

Ronan received much acclaim for her role in 2007's Atonement, including a Best Supporting Actress Academy Award nomination. She previously worked with Jackson in 2009's The Lovely Bones.

New Zealand-based production on The Hobbit has been slightly delayed due to minor medical concerns with Jackson, though it is expected to begin soon.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:38 am 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

The Hobbit to Start Filming on March 21

Source: ComingSoon

February 7, 2011

The Hobbit films production company 3Foot7 Ltd announced on Monday that the first day of principal photography will be Monday, March 21, 2011.

Director Peter Jackson commented: "Despite some delays we are fully back on track and very excited to get started."

3Foot7 Ltd added: "This date has been chosen following practical considerations of the filming schedule requirements, actor availability and the NZ seasons. Shooting will take place at Stone Street Studios in Miramar and on location around New Zealand."

The confirmed cast includes Martin Freeman, Ian McKellen, Richard Armitage, Ken Stott, Graham McTavish, William Kircher, James Nesbitt, Stephen Hunter, Rob Kazinsky, Aidan Turner, Peter Hambleton, John Callen, Jed Brophy, Mark Hadlow, Adam Brown, Cate Blanchett, Andy Serkis, Mikael Persbrant, Sylvester McCoy and Elijah Wood.

The two films have release dates targeted for December 2012 and December 2013.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:21 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

First Photo of The Hobbit Cast

February 10, 2011

As we get closer to closer to the March 21st start date for The Hobbit, things are clearly in motion down in New Zealand, as evidenced by today's latest snapshot, courtesy of The Dominion Post.

For the first time, Martin Freeman, who will be taking over for Ian Holm in the role of Bilbo Baggins, is seen with the thirteen actors who will play the story's band of dwarves.

The Hobbit is being developed as two films and will be shot in 3D. Currently, no release date has been named.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:15 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Photos of a Hobbit Set Online

February 20, 2011

A scooper for TheOneRing.net has snapped some pictures of the sets being built in Miramar, New Zealand for Peter Jackson's The Hobbit films. The site's article and commenters have some thoughts on what it could be, but what do you think? You can view more pics here.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:55 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

From IGN:

The Hobbit's Two Titles Revealed?

Prequel titles reportedly registered.

March 3, 2011

The titles to the two-part screen adaptation of The Hobbit have reportedly been revealed.

TheOneRing.net claims that New Line Cinema recently registered the following movie titles: The Hobbit: There and Back Again, and also The Hobbit: An/The Unexpected Journey.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:38 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Ian McKellen Updates from The Hobbit

March 8, 2011

Gandalf himself, Ian McKellen, has offered an update from near the Wellington set of The Hobbit. The actor just posted the following on his official site:

I've seen Bilbo — in three dimensions.

I was visiting old friends in the Stone Street offices and heard Martin Freeman was just round the corner by the permanent greenscreen, done up as Bilbo, testing his costume in front of the 3D cameras. Indeed, there he was in the open air, mostly oblivious to the camera, though turning this way and that as required. Martin improvised a hobbity gait, padding back and forth, testing his big hairy Hobbit feet, pointy ears and little tum.

Beneath the shade of a tent, in a sun hat, Andrew Lesnie was remotely controlling the two lenses within the mighty camera which digitally records in 3D. His screen showed the familiar 2D image but next to it, above the director's chair, was a large colour screen in full magical three dimensions, much as it will appear in the cinema — courtesy of the spy-glasses that transform the blurred outlines onscreen to the high definition exactitude of the 3D effect.

Three Bilbos simultaneously, two performances on screen and the actor beyond: which was the real one? Martin Freeman was transmuting into a character whose reality will soon be as authentic as his own.

While it may be a little while before Lord of the Rings fans get to see Bilbo in 3D for themselves, McKellen's description should certainly evoke a sense of excitement, chasing away any doubt of further delays. After many years, The Hobbit is finally on its way.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 177 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 12  Next