Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:08 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 177 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Hobbit
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:38 pm 
"You can set your clock to his haircut"

The Hobbit changed my life when I first picked up that book in 7th grade, and it still holds a very dear place in my heart. I've waited almost 11 years for this, and it's so exciting! I only wish that Christopher Lee's health had permitted him to film Saruman's corruption in the Palantir as rumored a while back. Although briefly mentioned in the book, I hope we actually get to see Gandalf confront Sauron disguised as the necromancer!

Before me you are a slug in the sun. You are privy to a great Becoming and you recognize nothing. You are an ant in the afterbirth. It is your nature to do one thing correctly: tremble. But fear is not what you owe me; you owe me AWE.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:08 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Production Begins on The Hobbit!

Source: ComingSoon

March 20, 2011

New Line/Warner Bros. announced today that production has begun in New Zealand on The Hobbit, Peter Jackson's two-film epic adaptation of J.R.R. Tolkien's timeless classic. The studio has also revealed two photos of Jackson on the set which you can view below in the press release:

Production has commenced in Wellington, New Zealand, on "The Hobbit," filmmaker Peter Jackson's two film adaptation of J.R.R. Tolkien's widely read masterpiece.

"The Hobbit" is set in Middle-earth 60 years before Tolkien's "The Lord of the Rings," which Jackson and his filmmaking team brought to the big screen in the blockbuster trilogy that culminated with the Oscar-winning "The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King."

The two films, with screenplays by Fran Walsh, Philippa Boyens, Guillermo del Toro and Peter Jackson, will be shot consecutively in digital 3D using the latest camera and stereo technology. Filming will take place at Stone Street Studios, Wellington, and on location around New Zealand.

"The Hobbit" follows the journey of title character Bilbo Baggins, who is swept into an epic quest to reclaim the lost Dwarf Kingdom of Erebor, which was long ago conquered by the dragon Smaug. Approached out of the blue by the wizard Gandalf the Grey, Bilbo finds himself joining a company of thirteen dwarves led by the legendary warrior, Thorin Oakensheild. Their journey will take them into the Wild; through treacherous lands swarming with Goblins and Orcs, deadly Wargs and Giant Spiders, Shapeshifters and Sorcerers.

Although their goal lies to the East and the wastelands of the Lonely Mountain first they must escape the goblin tunnels, where Bilbo meets the creature that will change his life forever... Gollum.

Here, alone with Gollum, on the shores of an underground lake, the unassuming Bilbo Baggins not only discovers depths of guile and courage that surprise even him, he also gains possession of Gollum's "precious" ring that holds unexpected and useful qualities... A simple, gold ring that is tied to the fate of all Middle-earth in ways Bilbo cannot begin to know.

Martin Freeman takes the title role as Bilbo Baggins and Ian McKellen returns in the role of Gandalf the Grey. The Dwarves are played by Richard Armitage (Thorin Oakenshield), Ken Stott (Balin), Graham McTavish (Dwalin), William Kircher (Bifur) James Nesbitt (Bofur), Stephen Hunter (Bombur), Rob Kazinsky (Fili), Aidan Turner (Kili), Peter Hambleton (Gloin), John Callen (Oin), Jed Brophy (Nori), Mark Hadlow (Dori) and Adam Brown (Ori). Reprising their roles from "The Lord of the Rings" trilogy are Cate Blanchett as Galadriel, Andy Serkis as Gollum and Elijah Wood as Frodo. Jeffrey Thomas and Mike Mizrahi also join the cast as Dwarf Kings Thror and Thrain, respectively. Further casting announcements are expected.

"The Hobbit" is produced by Peter Jackson and Fran Walsh, alongside Carolynne Cunningham. Executive producers are Ken Kamins and Zane Weiner, with Philippa Boyens as co-producer. The Oscar-winning, critically acclaimed "The Lord of the Rings" trilogy, also from the production team of Jackson and Walsh, grossed nearly $3 billion worldwide at the box office. In 2003, "The Return of the King" swept the Academy Awards, winning all of the 11 categories in which it was nominated, including Best Picture – the first ever Best Picture win for a fantasy film. The trilogy's production was also unprecedented at the time.

Among the creative behind-the-scenes team returning to Jackson's crew are director of photography Andrew Lesnie, production designer Dan Hennah, conceptual designers Alan Lee and John Howe, composer Howard Shore and make-up and hair designer Peter King. Costumes are designed by Ann Maskrey and Richard Taylor.

Taylor is also overseeing the design and production of weaponry, armour and prosthetics which are once again being made by the award winning Weta Workshop. Weta Digital take on the visual effects for both films, led by the film's visual effects supervisor, Joe Letteri. Post production will take place at Park Road Post Production in Wellington.

"The Hobbit" films are co-produced by New Line Cinema and MGM, with New Line managing production. Warner Bros Pictures is handling worldwide theatrical distribution, with select international territories as well as all international television licensing being handled by MGM. The two films are planned for release in late 2012 and 2013, respectively.

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 7:54 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Stephen Fry Confirmed for The Hobbit

May 18, 2011

Peter Jackson announced today on Facebook that Stephen Fry will play The Master of Laketown in The Hobbit. The helmer also said that Ryan Gage will play Alfrid, while Conan Stevens is set to play an Orc called Azog. Here is Jackson's full post:

Some more HOBBIT casting news today. As we near the end of our first shooting block (we have a break in less than three weeks to get some editing and visual effects work done, plus prepare for very big scenes coming up), we are looking at characters featuring in sequences that take place a little later in the story.

We are thrilled to confirm that Stephen Fry will be playing The Master of Laketown. I've known Stephen for several years, and we're developing a DAMBUSTERS movie together. In addition to his writing skills, he's a terrific actor and will create a very memorable Master for us.

The Master's conniving civil servant, Alfrid will be played by Ryan Gage. Ryan is a great young actor who we originally cast in a small role, but we liked him so much, we promoted him to the much larger Alfrid part.

Last, and certainly not least, is Conan Stevens, who will be playing an Orc called Azog (Orcs are never called Roger or Dennis for some strange reason). And yes that's his name—Conan! Isn't that cool? Azog is played by Conan! Here's a photo of Conan and I together... I'm pretty tall, probably at least 6'5" or 6'6" I would guess, so that gives you some clue how tall Conan is! You can learn all about him at www.conanstevens.com.

Got a busy day's shooting ahead, so I'm about to jump in the car—but look out for the beginning of the 20 questions answers very soon. Thanks for the questions, many are very insightful. I've been through all of them and have a list ready to go.

Cheers,

Peter J

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 8:36 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

From IGN:

Hobbit Reunites Sherlock & Watson

Cumberbatch to join Freeman in LOTR prequels.

May 23, 2011

Actor Martin Freeman has revealed that he'll be joined in The Hobbit by his Sherlock co-star Benedict Cumberbatch.

Freeman, who plays Dr. Watson on the BBC series to Cumberbatch's Sherlock Holmes, let it slip backstage at the Bafta TV awards Sunday that Cumberbatch would be playing a role in the Peter Jackson-directed two-part epic.

Cumberbatch refused to reveal which character he was playing. Freeman, as you know, plays Bilbo Baggins in The Hobbit.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:47 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Orlando Bloom Confirmed for The Hobbit

May 27, 2011

Peter Jackson just confirmed on Facebook that Orlando Bloom will return as Legolas in The Hobbit films! This is what the filmmaker said:

Ten years ago, Orlando Bloom created an iconic character with his portrayal of Legolas. I'm excited to announce today that we'll be revisiting Middle Earth with him once more. I’m thrilled to be working with Orlando again. Funny thing is, I look older—and he doesn’t! I guess that's why he makes such a wonderful elf.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:57 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Peter Jackson Starts Answering The Hobbit Fan Questions

May 29, 2011

Peter Jackson answered the first of 20 fan questions on Facebook about The Hobbit. The fan asked if we're going to see the White Council attacking Dol Guldor. Here is Jackson's answer:

I'm not going to say just what and when, but I will confirm that both the White Council and Dol Guldur will feature in the movies. And not just in one scene either. Just how to visualise it has been a challenge, but fortunately Alan Lee and John Howe went crazy with ideas, and it should look pretty cool.

In fact to celebrate the start of these 20 questions, I'll show you an exclusive photo of the White Council planning the attack on Dol Guldur! Even if you don't want to be hit with spoilers, you should still take a look. For the first image of Gandalf, Elrond and Galadriel brandishing an array of fearsome Elvish weapons, CLICK HERE!

Another question soon...

Cheers,

Peter J

The two "Hobbit" films are scheduled to hit theaters in December of 2012 and 2013.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:00 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Titles and Release Dates Announced for the Hobbit Films!

May 30, 2011

New Line Cinema, Warner Bros. Pictures and MGM have announced the titles and release dates for filmmaker Peter Jackson's two-film adaptation of J.R.R. Tolkien's enduringly popular masterpiece "The Hobbit." The first film, titled The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey, will be released on December 14, 2012. The second film, titled The Hobbit: There and Back Again, is slated for release the following year, on December 13, 2013.

Both films are set in Middle-earth 60 years before Tolkien's "The Lord of the Rings," which Jackson and his filmmaking team brought to the big screen in the blockbuster trilogy that culminated with the Oscar®-winning The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King. The adventure of "The Hobbit" follows the journey of title character Bilbo Baggins, who is swept into an epic quest to reclaim the lost Dwarf Kingdom of Erebor from the fearsome dragon Smaug.

Under Jackson's direction, both movies are being shot consecutively in digital 3D using the latest camera and stereo technology. Filming is taking place at Stone Street Studios, Wellington, and on location around New Zealand.

Ian McKellen returns as Gandalf the Grey, the character he played in "The Lord of the Rings" trilogy, and Martin Freeman, who just won a BAFTA TV Award for Best Supporting Actor for his role in the BBC series "Sherlock," takes on the central role of Bilbo Baggins. Also reprising their roles from "The Lord of the Rings" movies are: Cate Blanchett as Galadriel; Orlando Bloom as Legolas; Ian Holm as the elder Bilbo; Christopher Lee as Saruman; Hugo Weaving as Elrond; Elijah Wood as Frodo; and Andy Serkis as Gollum. The ensemble cast also includes (in alphabetical order) Richard Armitage, Jed Brophy, Adam Brown, John Callen, Stephen Fry, Ryan Gage, Mark Hadlow, Peter Hambleton, Stephen Hunter, William Kircher, Sylvester McCoy, Bret McKenzie, Graham McTavish, Mike Mizrahi, James Nesbitt, Dean O’Gorman, Lee Pace, Mikael Persbrandt, Conan Stevens, Ken Stott, Jeffrey Thomas and Aidan Turner.

The screenplays for "The Hobbit" films are by Fran Walsh, Philippa Boyens, Guillermo del Toro and Peter Jackson. Jackson is also producing the films, together with Fran Walsh and Carolynne Cunningham. The executive producers are Ken Kamins and Zane Weiner, with Philippa Boyens serving as co-producer.

"The Hobbit" films are productions of New Line Cinema and MGM, with New Line managing production. Warner Bros Pictures is handling worldwide theatrical distribution, with select international territories as well as all international television licensing being handled by MGM.

Post subject: Re: The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:22 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Luke Evans Joins The Hobbit

June 16, 2011

Luke Evans has joined the cast of Peter Jackson's The Hobbit, Deadline reports.

Evan's role will be that of Bard the Bowman, who plays a major role in the latter part of the novel. As such, the story, which is being divided into two halves subtitled An Unexpected Journey and There And Back Again, may only feature Bard in the second film, depending on how closely the adaptation mirrors the book.

Evans, who appeared in last year's Clash of the Titans, joins the huge ensemble cast, which includes Ian McKellen, Martin Freeman, Cate Blanchett, Orlando Bloom, Ian Holm, Christopher Lee, Hugo Weaving, Elijah Wood, Andy Serkis, Richard Armitage, Jed Brophy, Adam Brown, John Callen, Stephen Fry, Ryan Gage, Mark Hadlow, Peter Hambleton, Stephen Hunter, William Kircher, Sylvester McCoy, Bret McKenzie, Graham McTavish, Mike Mizrahi, James Nesbitt, Dean O’Gorman, Lee Pace, Mikael Persbrandt, Conan Stevens, Ken Stott, Jeffrey Thomas and Aidan Turner.

Coming up, Evans is slated to again play a god in Tarsem Singh's Immortals with a more earthly appearance as Aramis in Paul W.S. Anderson's The Three Musketeers.

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey will hit theaters on December 14, 2012 with the second half arriving on December 13, 2013.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:26 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Benedict Cumberbatch Confirmed For The Hobbit

June 16, 2011

Hot on the heels of word that Luke Evans has joined the cast of Peter Jackson's The Hobbit comes the news, also via Deadline, that Benedict Cumberbatch has been confirmed as well. He will provide the voice of the dragon, Smaug, to whom Evans' character has a close relation.

Cumberbatch is best known for his title role on the BBC series "Sherlock", appearing opposite The Hobbit's Martin Freeman.

Jackson's film is being divided into two halves subtitled An Unexpected Journey and There And Back Again and, depending on how closely the screen version mirrors the novel, Smaug may only appear in the second half.

Cumberbatch has been rumored for the role for some time, accidentally announcing that he would be joining the film at the 2011 BAFTA Awards last month. At the time, the specific part was unknown and the actor even fretted that his "big mouth" may have cost him the part. He next appears on the big screen in Steven Spielberg's War Horse.

In addition to Cumberbatch and Evans, the enormous cast for both films includes Ian McKellen, Martin Freeman, Cate Blanchett, Orlando Bloom, Ian Holm, Christopher Lee, Hugo Weaving, Elijah Wood, Andy Serkis, Richard Armitage, Jed Brophy, Adam Brown, John Callen, Stephen Fry, Ryan Gage, Mark Hadlow, Peter Hambleton, Stephen Hunter, William Kircher, Sylvester McCoy, Bret McKenzie, Graham McTavish, Mike Mizrahi, James Nesbitt, Dean O’Gorman, Lee Pace, Mikael Persbrandt, Conan Stevens, Ken Stott, Jeffrey Thomas and Aidan Turner.

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey will hit theaters on December 14, 2012 with the second half arriving on December 13, 2013.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:03 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Evangeline Lilly and Barry Humphries Join The Hobbit!

June 19, 2011

Peter Jackson announced today on Facebook that Evangeline Lilly ("LOST") and Barry Humphries (Dame Edna) have joined the cast of "The Hobbit" films! Here is his post:

Yikes! I can finally get back to some postings! We've finished our first block of shooting and moved straight into location scouting. More on that soon... But today, I'm thrilled to announce two new cast members who will be joining us for our second block of shooting.

Evangeline Lilly will be playing a new character—the Woodland Elf, Tauriel. Her name means 'daughter of Mirkwood' and, beyond that, we must leave you guessing! (No, there is no romantic connection to Legolas.) What is not a secret is how talented and compelling an actress Evangeline is; we are thrilled and excited she will be the one to bring our first true Sylvan Elf to life.

I'm also highly excited that Barry Humphries will be portraying the Goblin King, in much the way Andy Serkis created Gollum. Barry is perhaps best known for his business and social connections as the long-time manager of Dame Edna Everage. He has also been an ardent supporter of the rather misunderstood and unfairly maligned Australian politician, Sir Les Patterson. However, in his spare time, Barry is also a fine actor, and we're looking forward to seeing him invest the Goblin King with the delicate sensitivity and emotional depth this character deserves.

Evangeline and Barry, along with Welsh actor Luke Evans as Bard and Benedict Cumberbatch as Smaug, just about rounds out the major casting. I cannot wait to get stuck into these new scenes!

More soon, including a flurry of answers to your questions. Sorry for the delay!

Cheers,

Peter J

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:32 am 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

Very excited.

Here's hoping they can catch the magic that was the original trilogy once again! :mrgreen:

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:16 am 
'The Barf' does not annoy him

Evangeline Lilly!!! This is awesome! I was 110% going to see the Hobbit films anyway. Having her in it is like buying cereal for the cereal, and getting a toy inside as well.

'...because the minute a little girl is trampled by 100 teenage girls trying to get to Justin Beiber at the Tea Cups, you will be wondering why the hell we make poor Justin Beiber stand in a 30 minute line and create an unsafe atmosphere.'

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:19 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

First Look at Three Photos From The Hobbit

June 23, 2011

Entertainment Weekly has published three new photos from "The Hobbit" films. The photos included the captions you'll see below. The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey is scheduled to hit theaters on December 14, 2012 while The Hobbit: There and Back Again is coming on December 13, 2013.

MARTIN FREEMAN (BILBO BAGGINS)
"He fits the ears, and he's got some very nice feet," Jackson says of his Bilbo. "I think he's got the biggest hobbit feet we've had so far. They're a little bit hard to walk in, but he's managed to figure out the perfect hobbit gait."

IAN MCKELLEN (GANDALF)
"He's in fantastic form," Peter Jackson says of McKellen. "In a way, his role in The Hobbit has more technical difficulties than Lord of the Rings did, because he has scenes with 14 smaller characters — obviously the dwarves and the hobbit are shorter... I remember saying to him [laughs], "Look, this isn't Waiting for Godot or King Lear. This is The Hobbit. This is the real thing."

PETER JACKSON WITH MARTIN FREEMAN
"There's no way you can pace yourself for shoots like these," Jackson says. "When we were going through the schedule for The Hobbit, I felt a terrible drop in my stomach when I saw that we'd be shooting for 254 days. We're only 12 days short of The Lord of the Rings even though we're only doing two movies. When I saw that, I had to sort of pick myself up off the floor and carry on."

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:25 am 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Two More Photos From The Hobbit

June 29, 2011

Following last week's reveal of three photos from "The Hobbit" films comes two more pics from the Peter Jackson-directed movies via Empire magazine. The photos feature Ian McKellen as Gandalf and Martin Freeman as Bilbo. The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey is scheduled to hit theaters on December 14, 2012 while The Hobbit: There and Back Again is coming on December 13, 2013.

Image Image

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:08 pm 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

Bilbo looks just a bit TOO young to me. He should be in his forties, not his thirties. :|

Trade Rating +55 and counting

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 177 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 12  Next