Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:57 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Star Wars Rebels Series
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 7:54 am 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

Sounds very interesting, but what does this mean for Clone Wars? They're not gonna leave us with a cliffhanger, are they? :shock:

Trade Rating +55 and counting

Post subject: Re: Star Wars Rebels Series
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 8:41 am 
3 3/4"

Clone Wars is done. I'm sure they'll do a complete series DVD/Blu-ray set with the last couple of story arcs they had created for the not-to-be coming season but I'm pretty sure Dave Filoni has said that no major questions were answered in those stories. Maybe he brings Ahsoka back as one of the surviving Jedi in Star Wars Rebels. Then... maybe... Darth Vader kills her? Wouldn't that be something.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 11:19 am 

Her fate is the single most important question that needs to be answered. How does she die and who kills her?

Man, I hope they don't leave us hanging. :(

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 11:44 am 
5" Scale

Shellhead wrote:
Her fate is the single most important question that needs to be answered. How does she die and who kills her?

Man, I hope they don't leave us hanging. :(

Okay, I don't watch The Clone Wars but I have been following some of the recaps and interviews on Entertainment Weekly's website and from what I understand:

Spoiler: show
Ashoka leaving the Jedis and fading into the background IS the end of her story. She was never going to return to the Jedis and her having a quiet low-profile life from now on was her fate. Basically, NOBODY killed her according to the producers. She led out the rest of her life normally.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 11:52 am 
Still ahead of Mudd

But part of that was due to the fact that she became more popular than they thought and it is a kids cartoon-- it was more of a copout than a true resolution.. I though Filoni pretty much admitted that-- plus George liked her (and disney is slowly getting a lot more merchandise of her)-- so it leaves her now open to appear somewhere in the future-- plus they will probably play up the fact that she was an alien and "ages differently" so they could bring her back in a younger state..

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 11:56 am 
5" Scale

stewbacca wrote:
But part of that was due to the fact that she became more popular than they thought and it is a kids cartoon-- it was more of a copout than a true resolution.. I though Filoni pretty much admitted that-- plus George liked her (and disney is slowly getting a lot more merchandise of her)-- so it leaves her now open to appear somewhere in the future-- plus they will probably play up the fact that she was an alien and "ages differently" so they could bring her back in a younger state..

This was exactly my understanding. She wouldn't have returned to Clone Wars but her story was open-ended in case they wanted to use her again in the future in a different project.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 12:03 pm 
3 3/4"

Filoni said in a video on Star Wars.com that he was always in favor of keeping her alive while George was in favor of killing everyone.

This just leaves open the possibility that they can address it in Rebels. She certainly survived Order 66, not being a Jedi and all, so what if she played a hand in the early rebellion? There are a lot of compelling dramatic threads they can take from there.

It shouldn't be a central part of Rebels; at least not in the beginning or perhaps for a while. They probably need to establish their own vibe and get their sea legs before they lean on something from Clone Wars but I would love to see a confrontation between Darth Vader and Ahsoka at some point in the series. It would be a fitting conclusion to that story.

The series finale to Clone Wars with her leaving darn near had me teary-eyed. The Anakin/Ahsoka relationship was well done as the series went on. So much potential drama to revisit now that Anakin is no more. It would be awesome to see her come back one last time and put that question of her fate to rest.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 4:03 pm 

That would be a craptastic way to end her arc.

I really wanted her death to be what finally sends Anakin over the edge. Or even have her die by his hand as foreshadowing for the youngling massacre.

Lame.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 6:16 pm 
3 3/4"

Shellhead wrote:

I really wanted her death to be what finally sends Anakin over the edge. Or even have her die by his hand as foreshadowing for the youngling massacre.

Lame.

Wow, really? You do realize that he didn't go over the edge until Revenge of the Sith, right? He's still a hero at this point.

I thought they did a great job of making Ahsoka's trajectory as a character tie into his growing mistrust of the Jedi establishment, which leads into Revenge of the Sith. That was pretty clear in the final episodes.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 8:12 am 

Agreed, but like him slaughtering all those Sandpeople it would have been excellent foreshadowing.

Either way, a great character like that deserves a better ending than simply walking away into the sunset. :evil:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:13 am 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Details Revealed About Star Wars Rebels

by SuperHeroHype

June 20, 2013

A month ago to the day, Lucasfilm officially announced the birth of a new animated "Star Wars" series. Titled Star Wars Rebels, this new series will be set between Episodes III and IV and will feature all new characters. Now, Bleeding Cool has learned a few more details about the upcoming series.

Like the casting breakdown for the upcoming Star Wars: Episode VII, "Rebels'" primary characters will all be teenagers. The reason behind this is to give the show a skew toward younger audience members. In addition, the site says that Mark Hamill will provide a guest voice for the show in some capacity.

Star Wars Rebels takes place in a time where the Empire is securing its grip on the galaxy and hunting down the last of the Jedi Knights as a fledgling rebellion against the Empire is taking shape.

Star Wars Rebels will be produced by Lucasfilm Animation, featuring many of the key talents that made Star Wars: The Clone Wars. Fans attending Star Wars Celebration Europe will be the first to get an exclusive look at the new series. Casting will be announced at a later date.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:44 pm 
Cold-cast

Shellhead wrote:

Lame.

I always imagined something along the lines of Palpatine manipulating Ahsoka into threatening or harming Padme (Or at least making it look that way) and driving Anakin into a rage and killing her as she tried to talk him down. Imagine a kind of cross between the Sandpeople scene and Anakin choking Padme in RoTS. Then have Palpy glide in to help Anakin "pick up the pieces" when he realized she was innocent but was unwilling to tell Padme or Obi Wan out of shame. But that could have been a bit much for a cartoon. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:16 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:40 am 
3 3/4"

I sat through 15 or 20 minutes of that show to watch the "teaser trailer". Should've known not to trust the internet hype!

Still cool to see it animated but looking forward to seeing something more substantive next year.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:35 am 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

NYCC: Imperial Propaganda for Star Wars Rebels Revealed

by SuperHeroHype

October 11, 2013

Entertainment Weekly has just revealed some "propogranda art" for the upcoming "Star Wars Rebels," and we're going to need some help translating it. In addition, Lucasfilm has revealed the first official synopsis for the series:

Star Wars Rebels continues the epic tradition of the legendary Star Wars saga with all-new exciting, action-packed adventures. It is a dark time in the galaxy, as the evil Galactic Empire tightens its grip of power from world to world. As the series begins, Imperial forces have occupied a remote planet, ruling with an iron fist and ruining the lives of its people. But there are a select few who are brave enough to stand up against the endless Stormtroopers and TIE fighters of the Empire: the clever and motley crew of the starship Ghost. Together, this ragtag group will face threatening new villains, have thrilling adventures, and become heroes.

"Star Wars Rebels" will be produced by Lucasfilm Animation, featuring many of the key talents that made "Star Wars: The Clone Wars." It is scheduled to premiere in fall 2014 as a one-hour special telecast on Disney Channel, and will be followed by a series on Disney XD channels around the world.