Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:58 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Why does Episode III suck?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:44 am 
Super Amigo Fantastico!

Okay, several people have chimed in on this. I'd like to know the reasons why you think Episode III sucks. I can agree on Episode I and Episode II, but I disagree on Episode III. I think it's a great movie.

Peace,

Chip

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:30 am 
PVC

I liked the movie much more than I like Jedi. Only gripe I have is that Liam Neeson should've been in there for a scene that showed Yoda communing with the other side of the Force.

To have Yoda just gloss over one of the most important aspects of the OT was poorly executed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:48 am 
4" scale

I liked Episode 3 a lot too. Among my few gripes is Amidala naming the babies Luke and Leia as soon as she sees them. It seemed forced and unnatural. Not naming them would have allowed some questioning in future episodes as to Luke & Leia's true identity which would have made them more interesting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:37 pm 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

Well, about the kids, it seemed like she already had their names in mind to me. Not forced. :?

I guess it was an ok movie, I just don't care for Hayden that much.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 1:35 pm 
Displays Backwards

As a post-Empire attempt at a Star Wars movie, it was harmless but forgettable -- I don't see myself ever bothering to watch it again.

If I thought hard about it, I'd have to say that it seemed more like a big, empty toy commercial than a movie. I never felt like it wasn't just four or five actors composited into an animated cartoon and kept picturing the greenscreen rooms.

Ewan McGregor and Ian McDiarmid were the best thing about the prequels but their dialogue was mostly so horrible that there wasn't much they could do with it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 1:36 pm 
Super Amigo Fantastico!

You didn't like the lightsaber battles?

Peace,

Chip

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 1:48 pm 
Crime Against Nature

This pretty much nails everything I thought was wrong about episode III.

http://www.the-editing-room.com/?script ... eofthesith

I liked Phantom Menace best of all the prequels, and that diminishes with age. Stories were fine. Execution was horrible. Dialogue and motivation was just terrible.

Oh, and Jake Lloyd was beyond bad.

J.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:31 pm 
Super Amigo Fantastico!

Holy crap, Jason...I'm laughing my ass off at that site. Now I have something to do for the rest of the week.

This stuff is hilarious!

Quote:
CHRISTOPHER LEE escapes on a small speeder. He looks COMPLETELY RIDICULOUS.

ROTFL!

Peace,

Chip

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 4:15 pm 
Super Amigo Fantastico!

ROTFL!!!

Quote:
IAN MCKELLEN
So anyway, where's Ian Holm? I heard he's got the plot to this movie in his pocket somewhere.

Peace,

Chip

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 4:28 pm 
buzz word garbage hater

HAYDEN
CHRISTIENSEN

THAT is what made that movie suck.

He's HORRIBLE.

Oh, and

VADER: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 4:38 pm 
Collector Inspector

OMG, this shingbling is hilarious!

SAMUEL L. MOTHERFUCKING JACKSON:
"Well I'm a mushroom-cloud-layin' marfblooger, marfblooger! Every time my fingers touch my lightsaber I'm Superfly TNT. I'm the Guns of Navarone."

Hahahaha. Now that would have been a good movie.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:09 pm 
Kool Moe Dee

Just bad I could live with, but all the prequels make the tragic mistake of also being boring.

I've only seen it once so details are hazy, I do remember liking Yoda though.

VC9k

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:28 pm 
An Insider

I don't think it sucked per se, but it kind of neutered Vader. Think about it, when we were little kids, the guy was the epitomy of bad. Now he's kind of a pathetic spoiled brat that made his own bed and then made the whole galaxy lie in it. I lost all sympathy for him after, "Master Skywalker, they're everywhere. What should we do?" Snap-hiss!

Also, they felt the need to explain everything rather than let the viewer draw his / her own connections. I'm a little surprised we didn't see a little 5-year old Corrallian boy watching a battle and talking about wanting to be a smuggler.

Add to that Natalie Portman's monotone one-emotion dialague....... very surprising because she was great in V for Vendetta and that one where she has a kid in Wal-Mart.....

All that said, I still liked it.

-R

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:16 am 
Loose, Missing Package

I think a lot of the problem is that the original films are so much a part of pop culture that any surprises that could have been had from the films were already out in the open -- 20 years earlier... Another problem I think these films had is that there are far too many of us who grew up with the original films and our childhoods have made us think that they are far greater films than they really are. I'm not saying that to down anyone or the films (I have two rooms FULL of Star Wars toys and have been an officer in the local collecting club), but I think that's a whole lot of the problem with the prequels, that and the internet makes it so easy for whiney fanboys to make their voices heard.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:20 am 
Knows his stuff

The prequels have no soul, no heart, and no real charm. They're carefully engineered product masquerading as entertainment, and only being successful in actually being entertaining in bits and spurts here and there. There were created to be just another big shiny fx laden summer blockbuster and a showreel for what Industrial Light & Magic could do that week, rather than being stories that needed telling led by well rounded and balanaced characters (who we care about) to guide us through them. Occasionally you'd get an actor who made it work anyhow, such as Liam Neeson or Christopher Lee, but mostly it all just felt like the visualization of that universe was far more important than any of the characters living in it to Lucas. And that is why he failed. At least artistically, and filmically. They weren't bad films per se, they just weren't good, let alone great, ones either. And that's just a damn shame. My opinion anyhow.