Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:12 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Batman's Love Interest
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 7:06 pm 
proverbial old fart

While we're all crazy for action figures, most of us read comics as well.

A question I have that I'd like feedback from everyone on.

Batman has had more girlfriends than the Kennedy brothers (I know, I'm showing my age here).

But who, in your opinion is the best match for Bruce?

When the romance started between Batman and Wonder Woman in JL/JLU I was surprised but the more I thought about it the more it made sense to me. Batman is much more the warrior than Superman and I can see Diana being drawn to Bruce much more so than Clark (as in Kingdom Come).

So what do you think?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 7:12 pm 
Super Amigo Fantastico!

Wonder Woman. No contest.

I don't like Lois Lane, and Catwoman is just there to be used.

Peace,

Chip

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 8:11 pm 
Kool Moe Dee

Talia

VC9k

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 8:49 pm 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

I dunno, Talia is kind of there... but I think she's more into Bats than he is in her.

I chose Selina, she's always been a favorite of mine and she'd get along better with Bruce than WW. Batman without Catwoman just seems like Superman without Lois. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 9:08 pm 
Displays Backwards

I think I'd also go with Selina Kyle, Catwoman. She's really the only one of his love interests that made an impression in any form.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:39 pm 
An Insider

As much as I like the Catwoman relationship, it's more of a (pardon the phase) a cat and mouse relationship by nature. it should be a relationship of sexual attraction with little substance IMHO. Talia on the other hand should be a true love of his, someone he cares about deeply, but at the same time refuses to give into that relationship because of Ra's machination. I really liked Son of the Demon, I think that was a great story.

Trustfully I'd rather see batman settle down with a "normal" dame, somebody like Silver St. Cloud, Vicky Vale, Julie Madison or Andrea Beaumont. If anything Andrea Beaumont illustrated that batman can never be happy because his world rubs off on the normal people around him...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:50 pm 
Super Amigo Fantastico!

Exactly the reason why he should be with Wonder Woman. Not much can harm her...especially those in Batman's rogue's gallery.

Peace,

Chip

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 1:23 pm 
Displays Backwards

Batman shouldn't "settle down" with anyone -- I like the Batman Beyond future version of him that's old and bitter and lonely. Selina's a good match and/or foil because she's as crazy as he is and independent, not the "settling down" type.

The Wonder Woman thing was never more than a playful flirtation, I thought.

I personally don't think any of DC's trinity should ever end up married or settled -- it seems like part of the Superman story that he's kept apart and over us, and Wonder Woman seems like she should have to remain chaste as part of the the whole Amazon gig.

Post subject: re: Diana all the way!
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 2:12 pm 
Hangin' with the big boys

I think that the relationship makes perfect sense. I enjoyed the way that it was handled in the JLU & give credit to Joe Kelly for taking a chance in the JLA during his run. It's really too bad that TPTB chickened out.

"Every man dies. Not every man really lives." W. Wallace

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:12 pm 
proverbial old fart

Peter, I have to ultimately agree with you about bitter and lonely old Bruce in BB. But that said, of all the women in Bruce's life Diana seems to me to be the one that would Bruce would be attracted to because of her personality. She's really as aloof as he is and when she's in a pissy mood she can punch a guys head right off.

Talia always seemed like the proverbial flake. Bruce will always be in second place to her daddy and that is just to weird - even for a guy that dresses up like a bat with his underwear on the outside....

At any rate, this was fun. Thanks to everone for their thoughts on the matter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:13 pm 
Factory Worker

PeterFries wrote:
Batman shouldn't "settle down" with anyone -- I like the Batman Beyond future version of him that's old and bitter and lonely. Selina's a good match and/or foil because she's as crazy as he is and independent, not the "settling down" type.

I personally don't think any of DC's trinity should ever end up married or settled -- it seems like part of the Superman story that he's kept apart and over us, and Wonder Woman seems like she should have to remain chaste as part of the the whole Amazon gig.

The First two paragraphs completly 100% mirror my opinions on the matter. Bruce is so obsessed with His "Duty" that a women would just ultimatly serve as a distraction. PLUS a serious relationship would make the "Playful" Bruce Wayne mask all that harder to maintain. How does he explain to Wonder Women that he was just trouncing around with that floozy to hide his true identity. Sure she'd understand, but it would start to put a strain on the relationship.

The last paragraph though, i disagree with. I like Clark Kent being married to Lois Lane. I think it makes sense for his character. Clark Kent is the perfect Farm Boy living the American Dream. Lois serves to Ground him and keep him from getting to far above the humanity he seeks to protect.

Wonder Women though i agree should stay pure. The Best line in Countdown to Infinite Crisis was when blue beetle commented ( paraphraseing ) "I'm going to let you in a secret about Diana, We all love her. Every last one of us". I think that summed up my thoughts on the character rather well. She's this perfect firey beauty that floats through their lives giving every one some one to yearn for. Something like that couldn't belong to one person.

Post subject: Catwoman
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:53 pm 
Resin

I voted for Catwoman. I loved that the animated series had him flirting with Wonder Woman and even briefly dating Lois, but they don't make sense in the long run. But in the long run, nobody probably really makes sense for Bruce. Poor Bruce.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:22 pm 
An Insider

If he wants a real challenge, he should set his sights on the new Batwoman :wink: . Maybe Kevin Smith can make a movie out of it.

-R

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:02 am 
Bob Vila

robiwan wrote:
If he wants a real challenge, he should set his sights on the new Batwoman :wink: .

Yeah, maybe he can "cure" her!! :shock: ha, just kidding

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:09 am 
Knows his stuff

Bloody Thumb wrote:
PeterFries wrote:

The First two paragraphs completly 100% mirror my opinions on the matter. Bruce is so obsessed with His "Duty" that a women would just ultimatly serve as a distraction. PLUS a serious relationship would make the "Playful" Bruce Wayne mask all that harder to maintain. How does he explain to Wonder Women that he was just trouncing around with that floozy to hide his true identity. Sure she'd understand, but it would start to put a strain on the relationship.

The last paragraph though, i disagree with. I like Clark Kent being married to Lois Lane. I think it makes sense for his character. Clark Kent is the perfect Farm Boy living the American Dream. Lois serves to Ground him and keep him from getting to far above the humanity he seeks to protect.

Wonder Women though i agree should stay pure. The Best line in Countdown to Infinite Crisis was when blue beetle commented ( paraphraseing ) "I'm going to let you in a secret about Diana, We all love her. Every last one of us". I think that summed up my thoughts on the character rather well. She's this perfect firey beauty that floats through their lives giving every one some one to yearn for. Something like that couldn't belong to one person.

Wow, nicely put. I agree with everthing you just said 100% Mister Thumb.