Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:07 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Which 2015 Blockbuster Are You Looking Forward To The Most?
Avengers: Age of Ultron 33%  33%  [ 5 ]
Superman/Batman 33%  33%  [ 5 ]
Star Wars: Episode VII 33%  33%  [ 5 ]
Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
James Bond 24 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Fantastic Four 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Jurassic World 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Terminator 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Independence Day 2 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Mission Impossible 5 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 15
 Post subject: 2015: A look ahead and a poll
PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:52 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Is it too early to talk about 2015?

I know I may be putting the cart before the horse. After all, 2015 is still a ways off. And 2014 has several movies that I'm looking forward to. X-Men: Days of Future Past, Transformers: Age of Extinction, Amazing Spider-Man 2, Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Guardians of the Galaxy, Godzilla and The Hobbit: There and Back Again to name a few.

But I keep thinking about 2015. So many HUGE franchises. So many tent-poles. So many box office records waiting to be broken.

Now, granted, these release dates are not written in stone. Some of these movies may be pushed back. There's already rumors that Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales and Star Wars Episode VII may be released in 2016.

But assuming these movies all make it out on time, I can't see how 2015 won't be the biggest year in box office history. There are five, count 'em, FIVE movies with the potential to make a billion dollars or more. Avengers: Age of Ultron, Superman/Batman, Star Wars Episode VII, James Bond 24 and Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales. And then you have the return of some beloved franchises with Terminator, Fantastic Four, Jurassic World and Independence Day.

Good heavens. That's a lot of ticket sales.

So I ask you, which one, of all that's listed, are you looking forward to the most? Are you going to see them all? Are there any that you WON'T see?

Mike
(Been awhile since we had a movie poll. I figured it was time for one.)

Post subject: Re: 2015: A look ahead and a poll
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:23 am 
too much stick, not enough carrot

As excited as I am for... well every movie on this list, there's just something intriguing that draws me to Star Wars 7. I'm dying to see how it's handled. I'm thrilled that Lucas won't be as heavily involved. And honestly, after years of being told "never" it's WONDERFUL to see that it is finally going to happen.

DC/WB is all like "Wonder Woman's too confusing for a movie!" and Marvel/Disney is all like "Here's a raccoon with a machine gun".

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:30 am 
3 3/4"

Star Wars, no doubt. Superman/Batman is probably my second choice even though I was disappointed with Man of Steel.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:34 am 
Still ahead of Mudd

Surprisingly, I didnt pick Star Wars..

I personally dont like that they are going to disregard 20 Years of EU stuff and start over again. But lets not kid myself-- Ill see it after the first weekend..

I went with Avengers-- because thats one I can see as the best popcorn movie on the list

I might be intrigued by a new FF, or POTC-- but the last ones from those franchises were kind of going through the motions

Independence Day is another one-- I really love the first one (obvious goofy plot holes aside)-- and I wonder where they will take this story-- I read several of the "next day" novels that were released-- and havent heard whether they will incorporate some of that or just do a 20 years later and another invasion story ...

I wont see in the theatres (unless the wife outvotes me)
MI -- I got #4 on Blu Ray last year cheap and still havent watched it. Cruise is just never really believable in an action role to me..
Bond- I havent seen any others in the theatre - why start now..
Terminator-- Really lost my interest the longer they went on-- dont even remember the plot of #3 (other than chick terminator) or #4- lots of CG no plot--
Batman/Superman-- until they get rid of Nolan-- they will never get my Box office dollar-- Maybe when it hits blu ray...
Jurrasic World-- Really after the 1st one-- lost interest as well-- novelty of the Special Effects wore off by the time we got to #3.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:14 pm 
ABS

Great idea for a poll Mike! It's never too early to look ahead at what cinematic adventures await us in the future!

I voted for Superman/Batman. I'm a huge DC fan, and I'm excited about the possibility of DC & WB building their DC Universe on the big screen. Star Wars would be my second choice.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:12 pm 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

Star Wars by the slimmest of margins over Avengers.

1aaaaa) Star Wars
1aaaab) Avengers
2) Superman/Batman

Everything else is a distant third, but I'll check out Bond and FF for sure.

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:56 am 
5" Scale

Avengers.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:08 pm 
Aspires to be #1

There's only two of those movies I'll pay to see at a theater and only 4 I'd pay to see at all.

Batman/Superman is my number one.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:18 am 
Santos L. Halper

Top picks:

1) Star Wars VII
2) Batman/Superman
3) Avengers 2

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:44 am 

stewbacca wrote:

I personally dont like that they are going to disregard 20 Years of EU stuff and start over again. But lets not kid myself-- Ill see it after the first weekend..

I am not as into the SW scene as I am comics, but I seem to recall that Lucas always had the mindset that only the movies were canon. Not sure if Clone Wars was grandfathered in.

I would have liked to see some version of the Thrawn trilogy on the big screen, but who's to say we won't?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:25 am 
Still ahead of Mudd

Shellhead wrote:
stewbacca wrote:

I am not as into the SW scene as I am comics, but I seem to recall that Lucas always had the mindset that only the movies were canon. Not sure if Clone Wars was grandfathered in.

I would have liked to see some version of the Thrawn trilogy on the big screen, but who's to say we won't?

Yes but Lucas isnt running it anymore-so I wish they ditch that mentality- and if you watch his movies-- even his movies arent canon --And you figure CLone Wars should have been grandfathered in since he consulted on every storyline and stopped some stuff from happening, but even then he had to tinker with it-- changing complete races of characters that were in his movie (and that his family members played)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:18 am 

Ah, but if the guy in charge of what's canon wants to change the canon, that's his perogative. Not that I agreed with everything he did (Han did shoot first, after all :twisted: ).

A lot of the EU stuff was crap. Only a few things hold up (the Thrawn triology being the primary example). I never did warm up to the Jedi brats of Han and Leia.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:47 pm 
3 3/4"

stewbacca wrote:
Shellhead wrote:

Yes but Lucas isnt running it anymore-so I wish they ditch that mentality- and if you watch his movies-- even his movies arent canon --And you figure CLone Wars should have been grandfathered in since he consulted on every storyline and stopped some stuff from happening, but even then he had to tinker with it-- changing complete races of characters that were in his movie (and that his family members played)

Every fan seems to have their own view of what is canon or not but my line of demarcation has always been whether Lucas was intimately involved or not. So all 6 movies are canon, obviously, and Clone Wars are the only material that met that test. I'd also include some deleted scenes and "Lucas-isms" (random stuff that comes out of his mouth sometimes, or his concepts that illustrate intent) unless contradicted by what's in the movie. For example, the deleted scene from A New Hope where one of the pilots remembers Luke's father doesn't make the cut, but the cut scene where Yoda communes with Qui-Gon in ROTS does.

Though I have to rethink this as more and more movies come out. The next trilogy is based on his outline but all the other side movies would have to be canon because they're movies. Rebels has to be canon too. (And few know and understand Star Wars lore better than Dave Filoni.)

Another, easier, way to look at it is it's canon until it's not. This can group in all the Old Republic stuff or all of the stories that try to tell back stories in books or comics. Not official canon but you can believe what you want. You can even just say anything you like is canon. There.

But to say the movies aren't canon? That's crazy. Not a fan of the marginalization of Lucas in some fan circles. If you like something in the Star Wars movies, chances are it was his idea. Give the man a break, already.

Ugh. I always get suckered into this. Where's the scotch?!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:39 pm 

:lol:

I'd really like to see Mara Jade in all her glory, but Mark Hamill is so old now that she'll have to be past her prime or Luke would be massively robbing the cradle! :lol:

However, Han was significantly older than Leia so maybe that's just how things were done a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away! :twisted:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:57 pm 
willing to display nerd-rage meltdown for custom subnic

Avengers 2 for me by a long shot. Super excited for that. If the premise of the Superman/Batman movie actually turns out to be Superman versus Batman, I won't see it all. EVER. Zero interest in that. But that's a discussion for a different thread.

The only movies on the list I may not see in theaters are Terminator and Mission Impossible. Terminator stopped being interesting to me after 2. MI is strictly a blu ray rental.

I don't fail, I just succeed at finding ways that don't work.