Post subject: Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:49 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

From IGN:

Disney Wants Pirates 5 & 6

And what Disney wants, Disney gets.

December 3, 2010

by Scott Collura

Remember when the third Pirates of the Caribbean film seemed like the end of the line for Jack Sparrow? Well, that's ancient history now because not only is the fourth film in the series, On Stranger Tides, currently in post-production for a 2011 release, but word comes today that Disney is hot for a Pirates 5 and, yes, even a Pirates 6.

HitFix reports that "Disney has begun quietly telling cast and crew to set aside a major block of time in the very near future so they can shoot" the films. As with the second and third sequels, the plan apparently is for these latest installments to be shot back to back.

Of course, you can't make a Pirates movie without Captain Jack Sparrow himself, Johnny Depp. But the actor is committed to shooting Dark Shadows (with Tim Burton) and The Lone Ranger (with original Pirates director Gore Verbinski) in 2011. So when would parts five and six get made? HitFix points out that a shoot like this could take a good chunk of a year.

Stay tuned for more on this development as we hear it…

Post subject: Re: Pirates of the Caribbean 5
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:08 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Johnny Depp Game for Fifth Pirates of the Caribbean

Source: comingsoon.net

January 13, 2011

With Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides hitting 3D, 2D and IMAX 3D theaters on May 20, Johnny Depp tells Entertainment Weekly that he would be interested in doing a fifth film in the franchise.

These days, Depp says he would be happy to play Captain Jack again, and that there have already been discussions about a fifth movie. "As long as we can put all the puzzle pieces together, I would most definitely consider it," he says.

In the fourth film, Captain Jack Sparrow (Depp) crosses paths with the enigmatic Angelica (Penelope Cruz), but he's not sure if it's love—or if she's a ruthless con artist who's using him to find the fabled Fountain of Youth. When she forces him aboard the "Queen Anne's Revenge," the ship of the legendary pirate Blackbeard (Ian McShane), Jack finds himself on an unexpected adventure in which he doesn't know whom to fear more: Blackbeard or Angelica, with whom he shares a mysterious past.

The international cast includes franchise vets Geoffrey Rush as the vengeful Captain Hector Barbossa and Kevin R. McNally as Captain Jack's longtime comrade Joshamee Gibbs, plus Sam Claflin as a stalwart missionary and Astrid Berges-Frisbey as a mysterious mermaid.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:03 am 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Terry Rossio Boards Pirates of the Caribbean 5

Source: comingsoon.net

January 13, 2011

Terry Rossio has been brought on board to provide the script for the fifth Pirates of the Caribbean film, reports Deadline.

Rossio was responsible for work on the first four Pirates films, including the upcoming On Stranger Tides, but worked with a writing partner, Ted Elliot, who will not be joining him for the fifth outing.

Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides is slated to hit theaters in 2D, 3D and IMAX 3D on May 20th.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:57 am 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

Will the madness never end?

I bet somewhere out there, in a dark and lonely place, the producers of "Cutthroat Island" are cursing the gods and wondering what they did wrong. :mrgreen:

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:00 am 
willing to display nerd-rage meltdown for custom subnic

I've actually loved all of the Pirates movies. I think Johnny Depp's reprisal of Jack Sparrow is phenomenal. I think he gives a virtuoso performance. So much so, I think that Depp and the character are inseparable. Unlike the myriad of Batman (Batmen?) we've had, I don't think anyone else could step into that role and do it justice. JD aside, I think the movies are very well done and they've done a great job with the supporting cast. It's definitely been a financial boon for Disney.

I don't fail, I just succeed at finding ways that don't work.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:31 pm 
Still ahead of Mudd

alcinde4 wrote:
I don't think anyone else could step into that role and do it justice. .

Actually there is a guy in one of the Pittsburg area cosplay Pirate groups that pretty much has the character down pat- (so much so that its scary).

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:53 pm 
Infinite Hero

Shellhead wrote:
Will the madness never end?

I hope not! Bring 'em on!

http://www.actionfigureinsider.com/author/jeffcope/

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:23 pm 
Infinite Hero

My latest blog here at AFi may be of interest to fans of the POTC films:

http://www.actionfigureinsider.com/blog/?p=5269

http://www.actionfigureinsider.com/author/jeffcope/

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 3:10 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Pirates of the Caribbean 5 Script Turned In

Source: ComingSoon

May 4, 2011

The Hollywood Reporter says that Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides co-writer Terry Rossio has turned in his script to Disney for a possible fifth movie in the popular franchise.

It was Rossio's first script for a "Pirates" movie written without Ted Elliot. Producer Jerry Bruckheimer is interested in making another film and the trade adds that the studio has approached director Rob Marshall to take on the next film as well.

But what about Johnny Depp? He doesn't sound ready to start again just yet. Depp tells the trade he hasn't seen the screenplay that Rossio turned in this weekend.

"It boils down to story, script and filmmaker... It's not something where I would say, 'Let's shoot it next month to get it out by Christmas 2012.' We should hold off for a bit. They should be special, just like they are special to me."

Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides opens in 3D, 2D and IMAX 3D theaters on May 20.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:34 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

From IGN

Burton, Raimi Rumored for Pirates 5

The latest director buzz for Disney's next trip to the Caribbean.

June 2, 2011

Given the international success of Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides, it's a given that Disney wants to move forward with the already scripted Pirates of the Caribbean 5. Now the rumor mill has churned out a few big names that are said to be on the list of possible directors for the sequel.

Cinema Blend claims that with The Thin Man now taking up the time of both Pirates star Johnny Depp and On Stranger Tides helmer Rob Marshall, Disney is beginning to mull other directors who could take over Pirates 5 should Marshall ultimately pass on Disney's offer to return to the director's chair for another voyage.

At the top of the rumored list is supposedly Depp's favorite collaborator and the man behind Disney's billion-dollar Alice in Wonderland reimagining, Tim Burton. Burton was once rumored for Pirates 4, too, but one wonders what, besides working with Depp yet again, would be the appeal for a filmmaker of his stature to take on the fifth installment in an established franchise?

Other rumored directing candidates include: former Spider-Man helmer Sam Raimi, who is currently making Oz The Great and Powerful for Disney; Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban helmer Alfonso Cuaron; Real Steel's Shawn Levy; and Chris Weitz (The Golden Compass, New Moon).

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:11 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

From IGN:

Depp Navigating Deal for Pirates 5

Johnny is reportedly in negotiations to return as Jack Sparrow.

July 5, 2011

Johnny Depp appears determined to play Captain Jack Sparrow for as long as possible.

Unsurprisingly, Disney wants another installment in their flagship film franchise now that Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides has crossed the $1 billion threshold worldwide.

TheWrap claims Depp "is close to a deal" to return as the sashaying swashbuckler in Pirates of the Caribbean 5. Both Depp's rep and the studio reportedly refused to comment on it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:02 am 
too much stick, not enough carrot

I can't wait for this. These movies, even at their worst, are fun. The actors have fun with them, and it translates to the screen. Especially Depp. I do hope Geoffrey Rush returns. He's done almost as good of a job portraying Barbosa as Depp has portraing Captain Jack. Can't wait for the next one!

DC/WB is all like "Wonder Woman's too confusing for a movie!" and Marvel/Disney is all like "Here's a raccoon with a machine gun".

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:40 am 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Jeff Nathanson to Write Pirates of the Caribbean 5

Source: ComingSoon

January 11, 2013

Although reports from back in 2011 seemed to suggest that Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides co-writer Terry Rossio had developed a screenplay for a fifth installment in the hugely successful franchise, Variety reports today that Catch Me If You Can scribe Jeff Nathanson has been brought aboard the same project. It's unclear whether or not Nathanson will be working from Rossio's draft or if he'll be tackling the project as a page one rewrite.

Launched in 2003 with The Curse of the Black Pearl, the Walt Disney Pictures franchise has, in every film so far, featured Johnny Depp in the role of Captain Jack Sparrow. The most recent adventure, On Stranger Tides, also starred Penelope Cruz, Ian McShane and Sam Claflin and turned out more than $1 billion at the worldwide box office.

Check back for details on the fifth adventure as soon as they become available.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 1:35 am 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Kon-Tiki Pair to Direct Pirates of the Caribbean 5

by SuperHeroHype

May 29, 2013

After much speculation as to who might board the Walt Disney Pictures franchise, Deadline is reporting that Pirates of the Caribbean 5 has scored a director double-helping in the Kon-Tiki pair of Joachim Rønning and Espen Sandberg.

Launched in 2003 with The Curse of the Black Pearl, the franchise has, in every film so far, featured Johnny Depp in the role of Captain Jack Sparrow. The most recent adventure, On Stranger Tides, also starred Penelope Cruz, Ian McShane and Sam Claflin and turned out more than $1 billion at the worldwide box office.

Catch Me If You Can scribe Jeff Nathanson has provided the screenplay for the as-of-yet-untitled adventure and production is slated to begin in January of 2014.

In addition to their acclaimed work on Kon-Tiki, Rønning and Sandberg have together helmed Max Manus: Man of War and Bandidas, the latter of which starred Cruz opposite Salma Hayek.

Pirates of the Caribbean 5 is scheduled for a July 15, 2015 release.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:35 am 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Pirates of the Caribbean 5 Title Revealed!

by SuperHeroHype

August 22, 2013

This Is Infamous has learned that the title for the fifth Pirates of the Caribbean film will be Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales, harkening back to the famous line from the Disneyland attraction. Begin speculation on how it relates to the title below!

Launched in 2003 with The Curse of the Black Pearl, the franchise has, in every film so far, featured Johnny Depp in the role of Captain Jack Sparrow. The most recent adventure, On Stranger Tides, also starred Penelope Cruz, Ian McShane and Sam Claflin and turned out more than $1 billion at the worldwide box office.

Catch Me If You Can scribe Jeff Nathanson has provided the screenplay for the fifth installment, which will be directed by Kon-Tiki's Joachim Rønning and Espen Sandberg.

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales is scheduled to begin production in January of 2014 for a July 15, 2015 release.