Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:39 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 608 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 ... 41  Next
 Post subject: Re: Man of Steel
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:58 pm 
Aspires to be #1

Laurence FIshburne has been cast as Perry White. Who's casting this movie and why haven't they been fired yet?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:25 pm 
Bob Vila

j1h15233 wrote:
Laurence FIshburne has been cast as Perry White. Who's casting this movie and why haven't they been fired yet?

I know that this may be an issue for some, heck in the past it has bothered me when ethnicity of a character get changed when casting an actor to play a role. But for me, Perry White being played by old Larry Fishbourne isn't that big a deal.
Be honest how much screen time would you want a character like Perry or Jimmy to have in a movie? To me they only need brief screen time, and so complete accuracy to their physical appearance in the comics isn't that big a deal as long as their personalities and motivations are done correctly. I mean if you look at the quality of actor, the presence and authority that Fishbourne can bring to a character, thats Perry right there, it's just that this time he's black, no big deal. And to be fair, other than throwing Steel in there, you really are looking at an all white leading cast which doesn't really sit well in this day and age.
I have no problem with this aspect of the casting.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:33 pm 
my apartment smells of rich mahogany

I dont have a problem with race alteration, clearly they're pulling a sam jackson/nick fury mover, here, though, i just dont see fishburne as perry white. but lex luthor, yeah, that would be cool.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:09 am 
Aspires to be #1

Not only do I hate when they make a change like that when there's no history of it (Ultimate Fury was black wasn't he?) but I really don't like any of the casting choices they've announced. I want to be watching a superman movie, not field of dreams meets the matrix.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:29 am 
You hear that? We're using CODE names...

First image of Henry Cavill as Superman!!!

DCCollectors.com - Henry Cavill

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:31 am 
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing

I realize it is a Snyder film and everything that goes with it, but, man, that just seems like everything has been grey-ed out and a bit overly dark for a Superman film.

Isn't it usually Batman is the Darkness and Superman is the Light?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:24 am 
declined to be a vampire

Wow.

I have over 50 + trades with the following: j1h15233, Joe G, ElvisBatman, Riddler2403, 20Silence, Sweeney, Batsonthebrain, Wildcard, Lance, The Question, Thebigzakbowski, MrJasonTodd, Grimace404, Boots Baily , brenticles, Darknight30, Kcbstuff, Funtime

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:17 am 
3 3/4"

I need to let this grow on me. I actually thought it was a photoshop job first time I saw it. The raised "S" seems a bit much but I don't hate it overall. Kind of what I expected.

It's all just dark and full of angst. Did Superman try to rob a bank or something and found the vault empty? :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:25 am 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

It's an improvement over the costume of Superman Returns.

I wonder if he'll just have the belt instead of the underpants.

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:27 am 
proverbial old fart

Is that a rubber costume? Sure looks like it... :roll:

This just keeps getting worse by the minute...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:37 am 
Bob Vila

The shot does look washed out/greyed out as you say, but I'm sure it won't look like that the whole movie. The real plus for me is how classic the cut of the suit looks, I was really worried we were going to get some overly stylized reworking of the suit, but it looks to have all the key elements I was hoping for and none of the mistakes of the Returns suit.
The cape looks great on the shoulders, (and its red, not like Returns rust coloured cape)
The shield looks classic, and the fact its a flat panel raised up is fine by me
The blue suit cuts flat across his collar bones, as it should. (not a super tight and right up to the base of the neck like the Returns one)
The boots look good, not too bulky, you can suspend belief that these could be worn under his street clothes like in the comics.

I think people are right, this pic does look a bit dull in colour, but I'm hopeful that the actual movie will be more Watchmen than 300 colour wise, and if it is then that'll be fine.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:22 pm 
3 3/4"

Yes, I agree that the "cut" of the suit is right on for me. Love that the boots are sleek and tapered up top--much like the comics--as opposed to bulky and built for hiking. The neck line, cape, and even his physique, all look right. I, too, am curious if he's got the red undies or not. Personally, I'm not a fan of the belt-only/no-undies look but I was already thinking they might go that route.

As for the material, I'm okay with it. I haven't minded the recent rationalization that his costume is alien in nature rather than sewed up by Ma Kent. Looks okay. Even though the picture looks washed out, it does seem like the colors are a bit brighter too. I appreciate that.

Still, it needs to grow on me. I need to get a feel for the tone of the film.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:29 am 
categorically opposed

It's a much better look than that of Brandon Routh. Don't see a problem with it. Has all the bases touched - big S, blue and red. I don't like the set-up of the photo - it does look like he's robbing a bank or something, but that's minor.

As for Fishburne as Perry - it doesn't bother me. Good actor, supporting role. I don't see anything wrong with that.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:36 am 
Knows his stuff

his hair looks a bit weird...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:08 am 
Santos L. Halper

Looks great. Love the cut of the cape & neck line, more of the classic design. Never was a fan of the tight neck line design of Routh's costume. Big 'S' on the chest, right blue and red colors. Love it. My only concern is: Are those scales on the costume? C'mon WB, he's not Aquaman, he's SUPERMAN! Maybe it's just the light from the photo shoot......

....And oh yeah, where's the spit curl?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 608 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 ... 41  Next