Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:50 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 608 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30 ... 41  Next
 Post subject: Re: Man of Steel
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:21 pm 
serves the Otter

Location: Planet Reach, Coolsville, Metropolis, or Crystal Cove. It depends on the day.
SDcomics wrote:
Is Jimmy Olsen a Woman in Man of Steel?

by SuperHeroHype

January 22, 2013

The changes that have been applied to Superman for the upcoming film Man of Steel have been pretty divisive to say the least. His costume changes and the morbid attitude of Pa Kent have had some fans up in arms, and if you found yourself in that camp you may not like this latest rumor.

As DigitalSpy points out, one member of the cast listed on IMDb is an actress named Rebecca Buller, who is listed as playing the role of Jenny Olsen, which doesn't exactly confirm the gender swap of the character, but then when you see this screencap from the trailer of Buller running with Laurence Fishburne as Perry White (the Editor of the Daily Planet), it starts to make sense.

This hasn't been confirmed by the studio yet, so treat this strictly as a rumor, but it's one of the most plausible rumors we've heard in some time.

In the June 14, 2013 release, Henry Cavill plays Superman. The film also stars Amy Adams as Daily Planet journalist Lois Lane. Starring as Clark Kent's adoptive parents, Martha and Jonathan Kent, are Diane Lane and Kevin Costner.

Squaring off against the superhero are two other surviving Kryptonians, the villainous General Zod, played by Michael Shannon, and Faora, Zod's evil partner, played by Antje Traue. Also from Superman's native Krypton are Lara Lor-Van, Superman's mother, played by Ayelet Zurer, and Superman's father, Jor-El, portrayed by Russell Crowe. Rounding out the cast are Harry Lennix as U.S. military man General Swanwick, as well as Christopher Meloni as Colonel Hardy. Man of Steel will be screened in 2D, 3D, and IMAX.

Image Image

If this rumor turns out to be true, I will be quite ticked at WB/DC... I mean, are they purposefully trying to tick off their loyal Superman fans? :roll:

D.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:56 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:39 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

God, I can't wait for this movie.

There really needs to be a countdown. Somebody PM that dude that does the countdowns and tell him to get on the stick.

Wait. That's me ...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:09 am 
serves the Otter

Location: Planet Reach, Coolsville, Metropolis, or Crystal Cove. It depends on the day.
I now couldn't care less about the changes for Jimmy or Mr. White, I want to see this movie YESTERDAY!!! ;)

D.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:03 am 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

So was just thinking, what if once Zod is defeated, Luthor gets hold of his battle suit (not necessarily in this movie) and that becomes Luthor's modified armor later on?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:26 am 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

I had no idea we had so many fans of the Big, Blue Boy Scout.

While I respect his position as the first true superhero, I find him incredibly boring.

If the reviews are decent (at least 65%), I will be buying a ticket, though.

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:01 pm 
Still ahead of Mudd

This one is an even easier pass for me than green lantern (although not as easy as Superman Returns- which I still haven't seen one second of)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:17 pm 

You didn't care for Dark Knight either, as I recall.

You, sir, are a tough customer.

Care to name a live-action DC movie you happened to like?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:25 am 
serves the Otter

Shellhead wrote:
While I respect his position as the first true superhero, I find him incredibly boring.

I wouldn't expect a "Man of Iron" like yourself to fully understand or appreciate the true deep complexities of a "Man of Steel" j/k, ;)
But seriously though it boggles my mind how people find Superman so boring, :o
Even though he is fictional, the idea of his character is not... In my eyes I have always thought Superman was/is a fictional embodiment of peoples good dreams, ideas, and aspirations. In the actual comics, movies, and tv shows, I see him as a beacon of hope, to me he is an ideal to strive towards, he is a lighthouse, a moral compass showing you the way to peace and justice. Superman is a hero willing to sacrifice his own life to anyone or everyone if ever needed. He is the kind of hero who will take the time to talk a young suicidal girl off the edge, the guy you know will always make the right choice, (even other heroes admire and try to emulate him, lol.)
Another great thing is he doesn't just save the innocent, but will try to save those threatening the innocent from themselves. He almost literally has the weight of the world on his shoulders. But carries it none the less. 
Along with Batman and Spider-man, I see Superman as one of the most interesting characters in comics ever, he is an alien-godlike being who can really do whatever he wants, but he chooses to do good and to be a humble, kind, compassionate guy. He looks for the best in people when they perhaps don't deserve it. Then there is his awesome history in Smallville, his parent's story on Krypton, his journey he took before even becoming Superman, and not to mention all the great villains he has to pummel, lol... 
Anyways, I have written far too much, and it probably sounds way cheesy, lol... So i'll just go back to my corner and watch the trailer over and over until the movie comes out, lol. ;)

D.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:14 am 

That's kinda my point, though. Superman is CHEESY.

Nobody's that altruistic. It's unbelievable.

Captain America used to be portrayed that way, too, until they dirtied him up a bit in the 90's, which made him a much better character.

Superman is a black/white character in a universe that's shades of grey.

And I find that a pretty boring read.

YMMV.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:35 am 
Still ahead of Mudd

Shellhead wrote:
You didn't care for Dark Knight either, as I recall.

You, sir, are a tough customer.

Care to name a live-action DC movie you happened to like?

Some people would argue Im too easy to please- because I found Battleship entertaining for what it is.. I go to movies for escapism not realism-- and trying to make my superheroes fit in the real world is not what I want.

Green Lantern wasnt as bad as every made it out to be (Although the whole Hal not being "fearless" was a big issue), as far as other DC Comics movies-- The Losers wasnt that bad-- the original Batman Movies arent too bad (although of course they have some issues)- as long as you look at the last two in the same vein as the TV show- they can be enjoyable as bad movies--

THe newer ones just arent rewatchable at all.. and this is coming from someone who watched all 10 seasons of Smallville

Im more of a DC animation kind of guy-

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:43 am 
Still ahead of Mudd

Shellhead wrote:
That's kinda my point, though. Superman is CHEESY.
Nobody's that altruistic. It's unbelievable.
Captain America used to be portrayed that way, too, until they dirtied him up a bit in the 90's, which made him a much better character.
Superman is a black/white character in a universe that's shades of grey.

That is part of my problem with him-- however my bigger problem is the traits he shares with the Jedi (in the EU)-- he's developed as unbeatable- (fine -except with Magic- which none of these movies every really delve into- maybe that would make these interesting- and a glowing rock- which really there always seems like a 1000 things he could do to prevent that issue in every situation), theres nothing he really cant do on his own-- how is that exciting--- the only way he can be challenged is by continually creating something else who is just as invulnerable or as powerful-- and always at that point they turn it into a regular fistfight-- its just pointless.

Its kind of why I find the Hulk as much as a one note character as well.. (and at least his secret identity is a little harder to associate the two.)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:23 am 
serves the Otter

I find that comic fanboys who say Superman is boring are usually more boring than Superman himself. He's a cartoon character geared towards little kids. Frankly, I'm astounded ANY adults like him enough to keep directors coming out with these PG-13 movies for him. Consider yourself lucky that every Superman movie isn't Brainiac Attacks.

I like Superman for the same reasons I like the Muppets or the Disney Princess movies. He makes me feel like a kid again watching his adventures. I'm not looking to have a transcendant filmgoing experience when I watch a man in neon underoos flying through the sky. But then, I mostly feel the same way about Batman but people ate the Nolanverse up anyways.

I'm probably alone in thinking this (especially on a board geared towards fanboys) but I MUCH prefer kid friendly Superman shows like Superman: The Animated Series and Justice League Unlimited to Superman Returns and the new DC Universe Animated Original Movies.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:25 am 

I'll take JLU over Superman Returns, so I'm with ya there.

And JLU was superior to many of the DTV DC movies, but not all.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:36 pm 
Still ahead of Mudd

Fone Bone wrote:
I find that comic fanboys who say Superman is boring are usually more boring than Superman himself. He's a cartoon character geared towards little kids. Frankly, I'm astounded ANY adults like him enough to keep directors coming out with these PG-13 movies for him.

This comment doesnt make any sense- you contradict yourself in the following sentence-
how am I boring because I dont like a one note character-

Fone Bone wrote:
Consider yourself lucky that every Superman movie isn't Brainiac Attacks. .

This is true-- this was the only Bruce Timm design cartoon I sold after I forced my way through-- that has been the absolute worst cartoon to come out of the DC/WB stable. Between story and voice acting :cry:

Fone Bone wrote:
I'm probably alone in thinking this (especially on a board geared towards fanboys) but I MUCH prefer kid friendly Superman shows like Superman: The Animated Series and Justice League Unlimited to Superman Returns and the new DC Universe Animated Original Movies.
No I agree with this-- although it took the DCAU cartoons to make him interesting- but that was only by giving him that personality flaw of total distrust of Luthor- and absolute hatred for Darkseid. (And tweaking his Rogue Gallery a little bit didnt hurt either)(not to mention no Zod :D -- yeah I know Jaxur and Mala (or however they were spelled were stand ins))

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 608 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30 ... 41  Next