All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: DC Entertainment to Announce Its Superhero Line-Up
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:31 am 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

DC Entertainment to Announce Its Superhero Line-Up

by SuperHeroHype

Sep 17th, 2010

The announcement is finally coming

Earlier this year, it was suggested that some big announcements were coming from DC Entertainment. Many months passed by and when they didn't come at the San Diego Comic-Con in July, it seemed like DC Entertainment was going to wait and see how Green Lantern does before announcing further projects.

That's not the case, as Warner Bros. CEO Barry Meyer announced at the Bank of America Merrill Lynch Media, Communications & Entertainment Conference that DC is going to play a much bigger role at the studio going forward now that the "Harry Potter" films are coming to an end.

According to Heat Vision, he said that "there will be an organizational announcement next week, then in about a month Warner Bros. will unveil a spread sheet detailing how the various superheroes will be reintroduced to consumers, and on more than just feature film platforms."

Stay tuned.

Post subject: Re: DC Entertainment to Announce Its Superhero Line-Up
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:23 am 
categorically opposed

What? Huh? What?

I'm sweating.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:24 am 
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing

This will be a press conference I'm definitely tune into...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:19 am 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

Just do something with Aquaman. The pilot from a few years ago was pretty decent, and I'm annoyed it didn't get picked up.

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:08 am 
3 3/4"

I never knew the "unveiling of a spread sheet" could be so momentous. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:26 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

DC Entertainment Superhero Line-Up Announcement Not Coming

by SuperHeroHype

Sep 22nd, 2010

But we will be getting more updates before the end of the year

Last week, Warner Bros. CEO Barry Meyer reportedly said that DC Entertainment was going to announce its superhero line-up in about a month, but DC Entertainment President Diane Nelson told Comic Book Resources that Meyer was misquoted.

"First, Mr Meyer, by his own admission, was misquoted, so we’re not going to be making that announcement in the next month, but we will be discussing a lot of our content plans before the end of the year," she said. "It won’t necessarily be exhaustive, and it will not be limited to a theatrical slate, but at the same time that we’ve been looking carefully at the organization, everyone’s been working very hard to keep the business moving in the direction we want – everyone in particular being Geoff Johns who has a lot of great stuff with our divisions. So, you will hear more about that before the end of the year."

In a separate interview with IGN, Nelson was asked about the comparisons with Marvel Studios' strategy.

"People make an assumption that we're going to mirror Marvel's strategy, for example with Avengers," Nelson added. "We do have a very different attitude about how you build a content slate. And it isn't necessarily about connecting those properties together to build into a single thing. We think we've got great stories and characters that will lend themselves to great standalone experiences, and that's the way we're focusing on it."

So while we won't be getting the company's entire line-up, well still be receiving announcements about its upcoming plans before the end of the year. Stay tuned!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:33 pm 

So no DC Universe for movie goers. :(

Endless origin stories that don't tie into each other at all. :evil:

That's really disappointing. Guess I shouldn't be surprised considering only Batman and Superman have ever had movies from Warner Brothers.

Let's hope GL opens some floodgates.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:37 pm 
willing to display nerd-rage meltdown for custom subnic

Well that blows. Got me all hot and bothered for nothin'.

I don't fail, I just succeed at finding ways that don't work.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:21 pm 
Loose, Missing Package

Shellhead wrote:
That's really disappointing. Guess I shouldn't be surprised considering only Batman and Superman have ever had movies from Warner Brothers.

Supergirl?... Steel?... Catwoman?...

Yeah... nevermind...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:24 am 
proverbial old fart

How typical of Warner/DC... Suits running the show and running our friends in spandex into the ground. Seems that it isn't kryptonite that is the bane, but corporate bureaucrats and hubris... :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:14 pm 
there were horses, and a man on fire, and I killed a guy with a trident

That's a real shame. A Justice League live action movie would be so amazing.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:29 pm 

Jim_Abell wrote:
Shellhead wrote:

Supergirl?... Steel?... Catwoman?...

Yeah... nevermind...

All of which are firmly in the Superman/Batman sphere. :wink:

Plus they all sucked. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 5:19 am 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

From IGN:

"Our Characters Are Bigger Than Marvel's"

Not so fast, Justice League.

October 8, 2010

by Richard George

Though he's generally averse to discussing particulars when it comes to DC Entertainment's involvement in movies and television, Chief Creative Officer Geoff Johns did give his thoughts on the particular approach the company is taking with regards to its superhero movies.

As we reported last month in our interview with DCE President Diane Nelson, DCE is not taking the integrated, unified approach that Marvel is with its Avengers film, which will spin out of characters, concepts and plot threads introduced in the Iron Man, Thor and Captain America franchises.

"People make an assumption that we're going to mirror Marvel's strategy, for example with Avengers. We do have a very different attitude about how you build a content slate," Nelson said. "And it isn't necessarily about connecting those properties together to build into a single thing. We think we've got great stories and characters that will lend themselves to great standalone experiences, and that's the way we're focusing on it."

Today, in his spotlight panel, Johns echoed this sentiment, taking it one step further in comparing the characters he watches over with those of his competitor.

"I think our characters are bigger than Marvel's characters," said Johns. The writer of Brightest Day, Flash and Green Lantern went on to describe how heroes like Batman and Superman are more symbolic than popular Marvel heroes, that DC's characters stand for hope or justice or other ideas far more than "just a character on the street."

Johns related this idea back to films, saying that because these characters are so big, it's important that they are introduced and treated with a certain level of respect and reverence. Rather than "smashing" characters together, Johns said each franchise would be introduced equally and individually.

What, then, of a Justice League movie? Though Johns' statements certainly seem to kill any immediate plans for a film, the fact remains that the future could hold anything for the iconic team. What happens when all of these characters have their proper launch into pop culture? Surely then we could see one?

No doubt DCE will remain quiet on that front for now. In the meantime, we have a whole lot of legendary characters to watch for.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:42 am 
willing to display nerd-rage meltdown for custom subnic

Thank you for "Intro to PR Spin 101" Mr Johns. I think all of that superfluous talk was just a way to justify not giving us a Justice League movie. In a sense, I guess it's better this way. I'd rather we not get a JL movie at all, than to get one that was horrible.

I don't fail, I just succeed at finding ways that don't work.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:02 pm 
Mint on Card

geoff johns seems a little up his own a--, doesnt he? i mean, yeah, superman and batman are huge, but i've seen a hell of a lot more spiderman and hulk stuff than green lantern or wonder woman, even before the movies, and yeah, spiderman & hulk both have movies so they're more in the public eye, but that's kind of makes the point, doesnt it? wolverine and iron man might not have been as popular as batman before the movies, but i'm pretty sure they're just as well known now. ask your average non-nerd who the flash is. "flash gordon?" is usually the answer, and they dont even really know who flash gordon is. and finding an average joe who knows who martian manhunter is is harder than finding a girl who listens to Rush.

all that said, i really wish they'd make a plastic man movie. johnny knoxville as eel o'brian, tom kenny as plasticman, and jack black as woozy winks, and make it more like the jack cole police comics plas than the saturday morning cartoon/ramona fradon plas of the 60's & 70's. or go full on madcap and let kyle baker write it.