It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:02 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: WB Reportedly Developing 9 Additional DC Comics Movies
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:35 am 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Warner Bros. Reportedly Developing 9 Additional DC Comics Movies

SuperHeroHype

Apr 29, 2014

This weekend The Wall Street Journal dropped a bombshell on us when they revealed that director Zack Snyder would be stepping behind the camera for the long-rumored Justice League movie, which will follow the upcoming Batman vs. Superman. Now, in a piece on Warner Bros.' attempts to cash in on their DC properties, the outlet reports that the company has nine additional films based on DC comics in development for the big screen.

Among those titles are the big screen adaptations of Sandman with Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Fables with A Royal Affair director Nikolaj Arcel attached. What the remaining titles could be remains to be seen. Wonder Woman? Aquaman? Another attempt at Green Lantern? It seems unlikely, but perhaps the studio will announce something at this year's San Diego Comic-Con.

WB's next DC-based film, Batman vs. Superman, is scheduled for release on May 6, 2016.

Post subject: Re: WB Reportedly Developing 9 Additional DC Comics Movies
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:53 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

10 DC Properties That NEED To Be Made Into Movies And/Or TV Shows

By me.

It's just my opinion. But feel free to flame the crap out of me if you disagree with any of these choices. It's the internet. It's kind of what we do.

As far as the small screen goes, Green Arrow has a show. Constantine, The Flash, Hourman, Preacher, DMZ, iZombie, Scalped and Gotham are all being developed. For the big screen, we have Superman Vs. Batman, Justice League, Neil Gaiman's Sandman, 100 Bullets and Fables in the works.

I'm going to treat the TV shows and the Movies as completely separate entities. In other words, the Flash we see on TV every week will be different than the one we see in Justice League. Call it a hunch, but I think that's the direction WB will go in.

With all that in mind, here goes.

1) The New Gods

Does it get more epic than this? Let me answer that for ya. No, it doesn't.

Jack Kirby redefined comics for an entire generation of readers with this Bronze Age masterpiece. For fans who were reading comics back then, we had never seen anything like it. The sheer size and scope had never been tried before. In fact, Kirby's tale was so epic that the entire saga was given a retronym that's used to this day: The Fourth World.

Image Image Image Image

2) The Justice Society of America

They were the first ... and still greatest superhero team of all.

A prequel story set during World War Two. A legacy story set during the present day. The coolness factor froze my keyboard just typing that.

Image Image Image Image

3) Aquaman

With today's special effects, this could be very, very cool. An underwater Star Wars of sorts. Kind of a no-brainer, since the King of the Seven Seas is one of the most well-known and loved icons in the DC pantheon.

Image Image Image Image

4) The Legion of Super-Heroes

You'd pay money to see this. You know you would.

Image Image Image Image

5) The Flash

What makes a character an icon? What is it about certain characters that can keep them around for 40, 50, even 75 years? A cool costume? A cool power? Whatever it is, the Flash has it. And the Flash should be a movie.

Image Image Image Image

6) Green Lantern

Do it right this time, WB. My local movie theater still has Ryan Reynolds stink in it.

And I don't care if it's Alan, Hal, Guy, John, Kyle, or Mogo. That's a debate I don't even want to get into. I just want a good Green Lantern movie.

Image Image Image Image

7) Wonder Woman

No Brainer. It really has to be done.

Image Image Image Image

8) The Suicide Squad

A beloved Silver Age concept that got a cool modern day update from John Ostrander. It's the series that gave the world Oracle. And with today's special effects, how cool would Dinosaur Island be?

Image Image Image Image

9) The Teen Titans

I'll let you in on a little secret. Stan Lee hates teenage sidekicks. That's why Captain America survived World War Two, but initially Bucky didn't. Stan's reason being that the whole idea seems a little strange. He's said that as a grown man he'd never hang around a kid in costume. People would talk.

Well, he has a point.

Still, I'm glad that the guys who created the DC Universe never felt that way, because DC fans have The Teen Titans.

Image Image Image Image

10) Starman

James Robinson's Starman was one of the coolest books DC ever published. And it's a legacy. There's a history there that would make an epic story.

Image Image Image Image

In Conclusion ...

The above list is in no particular order. And really, this is just scratching the surface anyway. Hawkman, Zatanna, the Metal Men, the Doom Patrol, Blackhawk, Swamp Thing, Kamandi, Dr. Fate, the Spectre, Deadman, Freedom Fighters, Birds of Prey, Outsiders, Phantom Stranger, the Secret Six, G.I. Robot, the Creature Commandos, the Martian Manhunter, Black Lightning, the House of Mystery, Sgt. Rock, the Secret Society of Super-Villains ... it just goes on and on.

DC and Warner Brothers NEEDS to get their movie and TV program together. There are four, count'em, FOUR superhero movies that have made over a billion dollars at the box office now. The Dark Knight, The Dark Knight Rises, The Avengers and Iron Man 3. There's a few more that have made over 600 million, Captain America 2 being the latest to add to that list. Those are the kind of numbers that make shareholders happy.

Expect some major announcements at Comic-Con.

Mike
(That is all.)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:44 pm 
Aspires to be #1

Making lists are we? I'll list my top 10 movies I'd like to see (I would like to put Justice League on my list because I think they're making a flop right now but I won't)

1. Flash - For me, it's Flash. We have the effects and he's an awesome character with a fun group of villains. One of the few times where I feel like you could actually say the more the merrier when it comes to villains.

2. Green Lantern - If anything could be DC's Star Wars, it could and should be Green Lantern. I think they screwed Hal over with the Reynolds movie and no one wants to see Guy so give me Kyle or John here.

3. Secret Six - I mean, come on...how much fun would this be? How many cameos could be made? This needs to happen yesterday

4. Wonder Woman - Wonder Woman the icon is really holding back Wonder Woman the character. It's time for someone to really study the dynamics of Wonder Woman and what makes her work and show it to the world.

5. Teen Titans - I'd love to see this, mostly to get a decent Robin on screen for maybe the only time ever, but also for the immediate team dynamic that could be made. They wouldn't even have to start with the entire team and the Tera/Raven/Trigon story lines write themselves.

6. Aquaman - Time to show the general public that he's not a joke and Bill would have been elated.

7. JSA - This is a no brainer. The jSA is legendary and Captain America showed how well a movie can work in that time period.

8. Martian Manhunter - I know they'll leave him out of Justice League so he needs his own movie.

9. Earth 2 - Not the weird Earth 2 DC is messing with now, but the old one.

10. Batman Beyond - Another no brainer to me. WB is always so worried about people being confused, so just jump 65 years into the future and do whatever you want. It can even lead to a JL Beyond movie. Plus, Batman Beyond is awesome.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:26 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

j1h15233 wrote:
9. Earth 2 - Not the weird Earth 2 DC is messing with now, but the old one.

Wow. That's brilliant.

Earth 2 was the Earth I wanted to live on when I was a little boy.

Image Image Image Image

Image Image Image Image

Image Image Image Image

Well done. Great post. Image

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:54 am 
Mint on Card

Plastic man. I'm workin on it.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:25 am 
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing

Give me a "buddy cop" style Booster Gold and Blue Beetle movie. Simple yet absurd, with a nice "redeeming" arc for the duo. It'd be a great action comedy launch for the summer I'd think.