Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:30 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:10 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

From IGN:

Exclusive: Ghost Rider 2 Update

Johnson may not direct; plus, who'll be the villain?

June 7, 2007 - Writer-director Mark Steven Johnson was in New York yesterday to promote next week's release of Ghost Rider on DVD, and IGN caught up with the helmer to discuss the two-disc set. The interview took place at Sony's "Higher Definition" tech event, which meant that Johnson and IGN were able to chat while scenes from Ghost Rider unfolded in front of us on a huge high-definition TV. So while Nicolas Cage's first fiery transformation took place in all its high-def glory just a few feet away, Johnson discussed what's going on with a proposed second outing for Johnny Blaze.

"We're talking about it, yeah, talking about it," says Johnson of Ghost Rider 2. "I don't know what I'm going to do, to be honest. After Daredevil and this… it takes so long, these movies. I really want something different, and the pressure of the fan community is always so great. I would like to do something more comedy-based, go back to my roots like the Grumpy Old Men movies and do something with effects. I love effects; I love working with them. So I don't know about for myself, if that's in the cards for me."

Still, even if Johnson doesn't direct another Ghost Rider film, he says he'd definitely produce and be involved in the picture. "For sure I'd still want to be involved because I love it, and I love everybody involved with it," he says.

The filmmaker also has a notion as to which characters from the Marvel comic book might show up in the sequel as the villains of the piece. Johnson says that, like Superman, Ghost Rider doesn't have a bunch of recognizable adversaries, but he does have some cool ones.

"If there's a second one, I would push for Scarecrow," he says. "In fact, in my first script it was Scarecrow who was the villain, but then I heard that they were going to put him in the Batman movie. But now having seen it, he wasn't really in it that much. And the Marvel Scarecrow is really pretty cool, so I think he'd be an excellent villain. I also think there's a character named Blackout that could be interesting, [and] there's Vengeance from the later comics."

Mike
(Image)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:30 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Johnson on Ghost Rider 2 and Preacher

Source: superherohype.com

June 8, 2007

iF Magazine chatted with Ghost Rider writer/director Mark Steven Johnson about a possible sequel and the "Preacher" series he is working on for HBO:

They are talking about it and the first film did very well for them but you know I have been doing my own stuff and not writing anything at the moment. Given how well it did, I would imagine down the line that Sony will want to revisit a sequel and I’ll be happy to look at it then.

Hit the link above for more on Ghost Rider 2 and "Preacher."

Mike
(Image)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:08 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Nicolas Cage on Ghost Rider 2

Source: superherohype.com

December 3, 2007

Nicolas Cage is known for not doing sequels, but that seems to be changing. National Treasure: Book of Secrets is the follow-up to the first hit Disney movie and he isn't stopping there.

Today he told Superhero Hype! that he would be interested in doing another Ghost Rider movie.

"All they have to do is call, and I would love to see that happen. That would be fun," Cage said.

Mike
(Image)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 3:38 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Nicolas Cage Wants to Reconceive Ghost Rider

Source:superherohype.com

July 14, 2009

MTV talked to Nicolas Cage, who says he's still interested in a sequel to Ghost Rider but would like to do a "reconceive." Moving away from the Western style of the first film, he sees a second film as more of an "international story" that may bring the character to Europe for a team-up with the Catholic Church. Watch the interview here.

Mike
(Image)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:29 am 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Producer Mike De Luca Talks Ghost Rider 2

Source:superherohype.com

January 7, 2010

Collider spoke to producer Mike De Luca and was able to learn new details on Ghost Rider 2 (it might be called "Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance"). They sent us the following summary:

– Mark Steven Johnson is not directing the sequel

– Eva Mendes will not return as Roxanne Simpson

– Ghost Rider 2 (or Ghost Rider Spirit of Vengeance) will be a hard PG-13

– The film is going to take place in Europe

– De Luca is open to David Goyer directing the sequel but it all comes down to his very busy schedule

– Says the sequel will be like "pushing the reset button" on the franchise

– As you might expect from the success of Avatar, Ghost Rider 2 might be done in 3D

– Says Goyer has just delivered his updated outline to the studio

– And says Ghost Rider 2 could easily be in front of the cameras this year

You can check out the full article here.

Mike
(Image)

Post subject: Re: Ghost Rider 2
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:01 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Ghost Rider Firing Up Without Cage?

Source: shocktillyoudrop.com

April 23, 2010

Sony's got an itch for the demon of vengeance. And it burns. Ew.

The studio, according to Vulture, is asking for a deadline extension on the sequel. You see, they need to get it rolling by this November or the rights got back to Marvel/Disney. The rub: Ghost Rider star Nicholas Cage might not be available between now and then.

So Sony may have to re-cast. Scott Gimple and Seth Hoffman turned in a draft of the script and a director is being sought. Whether Cage can commit or not is the question, furthermore, will the studio take a risk on the Ghost Rider without their star?

Mike
(Image)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:05 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Neveldine and Taylor on Ghost Rider Sequel?

by superherohype.com

Jun 15th, 2010

The Crank pair may take on the Spirit of Vengeance

Mark Neveldine and Brian Taylor, the writer/director pair behind both Crank films are in talks to direct Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance, Heat Vision is reporting.

The film, the sequel to the 2007 Ghost Rider would most likely see Nicolas Cage returning as Johnny Blaze with a story by David Goyer.

For legal reasons, Columbia needs to begin shooting the sequel or risk losing the rights. Though there was some thought that that might preclude Cage from returning due to his National Treasure 3 commitments, director Jon Turteltaub recently told ComingSoon that he believed both projects would happen.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:39 am 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Neveldine and Taylor Confirmed For Ghost Rider 2

by SuperHeroHype

Jul 16th, 2010

Nicolas Cage also confirms his own return for the comic book sequel

Nicolas Cage will return for a Ghost Rider sequel helmed by Neveldine/Taylor, the actor confirmed tonight on The Late, Late Show with Craig Ferguson.

"There's gonna be a new one," Cage told Ferguson after the host presented him with a model of a flaming skull, "I just made the deal today."

He also confirmed the recent rumor that Mark Neveldine and Brian Taylor (Crank, Gamer) will direct the film, still rumored to be called Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:18 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

No Eva Mendes for Ghost Rider 2

by SuperHeroHype

Jul 19th, 2010

The actress confirms that she won't be a part of the upcoming sequel

Eva Mendes will not be returning for the Ghost Rider sequel (tentatively titled Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance), the actress confirmed to SHH at yesterday's junket for her upcoming film, The Other Guys.

Mendes appeared in the first Ghost Rider film as Roxanne, the childhood sweetheart of Nicolas Cage's Johnny Blaze.

"No, unfortunately," was the actress' only comment when asked about whether or not she'd be back for the recently-announced sequel, set to again star Cage with the new director team of Neveldine/Taylor.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:11 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

From IGN:

Caging a Ghost Rider

How a critical flop leads to a sequel.

August 6, 2010

by Max Nicholson

Last month, Nicolas Cage signed on to return as the title character in the comic book sequel Ghost Rider 2. Indeed, the project's green light may seem like an unwanted twist of fate, but when closer examining the motivations of both the studio and Cage, one realizes that this film was really just an inevitability.

Originally pointed out by Vulture, there were legal reasons that a Ghost Rider sequel had to happen. Sony's Columbia Pictures is working on a deadline to keep the rights to the franchise -- if another Ghost Rider didn't go into production before November 14, 2010, the character would immediately revert back to Marvel. And as we've all seen with Spider-Man, this notion probably didn't sit too well with Sony.

On the other side of the coin, Nic Cage needs more money. The A-lister has been coming off some pretty noteworthy stinkers lately (Kick-Ass aside), most recently with The Sorcerer's Apprentice. The actor has also been facing some pretty hefty personal finance issues: a $6.3 million tax lien on his real-estate holdings for taxes between 2002 and 2004, as well as a $6.7 million lien for 2008. It was a month after this news broke that Disney picked him up for Apprentice at a meager $10 million salary, half his usual quote.

He was then offered even less for Ghost Rider 2, a mere $5 million, which Cage initially refused. Instead, he opted to star in the independent film Trespass, for which he would be paid $7 million. Sony came back with the same offer at $7 million for Cage's return as Johnny Blaze, and the actor accepted.

However, after some problematic flip-flopping in Trespass, Cage will need to act fast if he wants to make it in time for Sony's production due date. The actor has little over a month and a half to shoot the indie flick before packing up for Romania to film Ghost Rider 2.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:33 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Ghost Rider Sequel to Shoot this Fall in 3D

by SuperHeroHype

Aug 24th, 2010

Will be the first 3D film shot in Romania

Romanian news site Hot News (via Screen Rant) is reporting that filmmakers Mark Neveldine and Brian Taylor will be ready to start shooting Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance, once again starring Nicolas Cage, beginning this fall in Romania, and it will be the first movie shot there in 3D. The site says that it's the country's first major Hollywood production since the late Anthony Minghella's Cold Mountain in 2002, but in fact, Fox Walden's The Seeker: The Dark is Rising was shot there as well.

No release date has been set yet for Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance but having some sort of gameplan for when and where to shoot is a good start.

Incidentally, this plan was confirmed on Neveldine/Taylor's Twitter account a few days ago:

"in 12 days we get on a plane for eastern europe and you can kiss our asses goodbye til february 2011"

Post subject: Re: Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:40 am 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

From IGN:

Danny Ketch in Ghost Rider 2?

Alleged plot details appear online.

September 10, 2010

by Jim Vejvoda

A new report online purports to reveal plot details of Ghost Rider 2. If true then proceed at your own peril as spoilers lie ahead.

Spoiler: show
Still here? OK.

The Italian site Comicus claims to have read a recent draft of the GR2 script and say it's set years after the events of the first film. Johnny Blaze (to be played once again by Nicolas Cage) has withdrawn from the world, leading a solitary life in the hopes that not interacting with others will prevent his hellish alter ego from manifesting itself. Alas, that's not meant to be.

Johnny is approached by a monk named Moreau, who belongs to a secret order devoted to the archangel Michael. He calls upon Johnny to help them locate a woman named Nadya whose son Danny "must be protected at all costs."

The villain of the piece is said to be named Roarke, a heavy who is after Ghost Rider for reasons of his own. The script is also said to explore the other Ghost Riders who have existed over the centuries, and to contain only a brief nod to the first film (a reference to young Johnny's demonic pact).

As Mania points out, it would seem likely that the Danny in this story is the younger incarnation of future Ghost Rider Daniel Ketch. It would certainly set-up a passing of the baton to a new Ghost Rider in any potential future installment.

Ghost Rider 2 commences production soon in Romania under the direction of Crank's Mark Neveldine and Brian Taylor.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:28 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance Set for February 17, 2012

by SuperHeroHype

Sep 17th, 2010

Now filming in Bucharest, Romania

Sony's Columbia Pictures has set a February 17, 2012 release date for Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance, directed by Mark Neveldine and Brian Taylor.

The sequel, again starring Nicolas Cage, has started shooting in Bucharest, Romania.

The first film hit theaters on February 16, 2007 and earned $228.7 million worldwide.

Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance will be released in both 3D and 2D theaters.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:01 am 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Hinds and Placido Joining Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance

by SuperHeroHype

Oct 1st, 2010

New cast members for the Nicolas Cage follow-up

Ciaran Hinds is in negotiations to play the devil in Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance and actress-singer Violante Placido is also in talks to join the cast.

Heat Vision reports that "the story sees Johnny Blaze, aka Ghost Rider (Nicolas Cage), hiding out in remote Eastern Europe and struggling to repress his curse. Blaze is recruited by a sect to take on the devil (Hinds), who wants to take over his mortal son's body on the boy's birthday.

Placido (The American) will play the boy's mother."

Directors Mark Neveldine and Brian Taylor are preparing to shoot the film in Romania and Turkey. Avi Arad, Ari Arad, Michael De Luca, Ashok Amritraj and Steven Paul are producing.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:51 am 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Elba and Whitworth Join Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance

by SuperHeroHype

Oct 6th, 2010

The new film starts shooting in November

Idris Elba and Johnny Whitworth are in negotiations to join the cast of Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance at Columbia Pictures, reports Heat Vision.

They would be joining previously-announced cast members Nicolas Cage, Ciaran Hinds and Violante Placido.

Mark Neveldine and Brian Taylor will direct the film, scheduled for release in 3D and 2D on February 17, 2012. Shooting is scheduled to start in November in Romania and Turkey.

According to the trade, the film "sees Johnny Blaze, aka Ghost Rider (Cage), hiding out in remote Eastern Europe and struggling to repress his curse. Blaze is recruited by a sect to take on the devil (Ciaran Hinds), who wants to take over his mortal son's body on the kid’s birthday."

They add that "Elba plays an alcoholic warrior monk tasked with finding Ghost Rider. Whitworth plays a criminal who is recruited by the devil to find the boy and is later turned into a demonic creature."