Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:44 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Hasbro WWF: Love it or Not?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:57 am 
Shifts It Into Overdrive

I was looking over a few auctions for Ric Flair figures after reading through several wrestling bios on Wikipedia. I've never collected wrestling figures but was an avid viewer from 1985 to around 2002 or so. The only WWF figure I ever got was Jake Roberts from the Hasbro line. It featured pretty accurate head sculpts but near zero articulation and mostly lame action features.

That being said, it gave us a greater number of characters than the LJN bendables except for the managers, which I'd liked for Hasbro to have included somehow. The photo card art was really cool as well. Of course, Jakks upped the ante after Hasbro wound things down and ushered in a new era.

So, anyone here a fan of the Hasbro line or do you think Jakks has left it in the dust by now? :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:20 am 
HEY! New guy! GET HIM!

In its day WWF Hasbro was 'THE' line to collect. As a kid I remember that everyone wanted these figures - they were the must haves!

Skip forward just under 20 years and believe it or not this line is still hugely popular with collectors. Whats intresting is you will see the Jakks line slowly die a death on the secondary market (apart from the Classic line and Limited edition figures) but Hasbro figures continue to pull in nice prices.... what is also being discovered is a number of varients and prototypes that continue to be fought over as people try and add them to their collections!

I personally believe that the line is still great - sure the moves aren't anything special but the collectability factor is! :D

Great question! :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:22 am 
Unbreakable

Hasbro WWF was great. It's the closest thing I will ever get to WWF/WWE animated style action figures.

Post subject: UNDISPUTED CHAMPION
PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 4:00 pm 
You hear that? We're using CODE names...

I love the WWF hasbro line. The way the figures were animated and cartoonishly realistic. Each figure had a new bodysculpt and there was proportion of size (None of this same body for Rey Mysterio and Batista garbage). I really think the WCW Toybiz figures and some of the early WWE larger figures were okay but this was a line made when it wasn't ENTERTAINMENT but straight up fun with crazy characters and simple GOOD vs. EVIL plot lines.
I think the reason these figures are so popular lies with not only the figures and cards being so unique but also with the fact that it was a time when WWF sparked something inside every kid.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 4:04 pm 
My heart is of low-durometer PVC

great line, a lot of the figures can be had cheap on ebay so you can start collecting now and get a bunch. One day I'll actually finish my collection

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:02 am 
HEY! New guy! GET HIM!

Agree with the comments guys - Im 28 years old now so when this line came out I was at the perfect age to collect them, its the one toyline that I have never stopped following - it stems from happy days as a kid and now I love hunting down varients and testshots that when I first collected these as a kid I never realised existed. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:13 pm 
Shifts It Into Overdrive

I remember the Hasbro WWF figures brought some serious collector cred to the franchise and even revived interest in the previous LJN bendable toys. Both lines offered some really scarce items that fans still seek out to this day.

It was also an era where the WWF wrestlers were very much compared to superheroes. Even the characters reflected this during matches. You had Hogan, Savage, the Warrior, 'Taker and various iconic guys plus some awesome pairings like the Natural Disasters, Demolition, and the Legion of Doom, colorful feuds between guys like Big Boss Man and the Mountie or Nailz, Virgil turning on the Million Dollar Man, and then veterans like Ric Flair joining up. It was a Golden Age for wrestling fans before all the deaths and scandals which followed. It was both a fun time to watch TV and a great era for toy collectors.

The way I see it, Hasbro made a lot of this stuff possible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:40 pm 
Loose, Missing Package

I was working at TRU when Hasbro's line was out and this was the first line I can remember selling through certain figures consistantly never to be seen again. I was never much of a wrestling fan (though I do have a pretty good Mick Foley display once I get the room to set it up again) but I still want to track down one of those Hasbro Sgt. Slaughters.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:00 pm 
Unbreakable

WWF Hasbro was also a good example of a toy line that proves toys could be fun without 20-30 points of articulation. Sure Hasbro Bret Hart couldn't properly put the Sharp Shooter on Honkey Tonk Man but I could imagine he was.

Post subject: Best WWF Line Ever
PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:11 pm 
You hear that? We're using CODE names...

kevfett wrote:
WWF Hasbro was also a good example of a toy line that proves toys could be fun without 20-30 points of articulation. Sure Hasbro Bret Hart couldn't properly put the Sharp Shooter on Honkey Tonk Man but I could imagine he was.

Sometimes less is more. I guess being at that age where I'd rather display my collection articulation means little to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:25 pm 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

Those guys were cool! I wish they would have got around to releasing Diesel and M.O.M. as well as a Lex Luger in his All-American gear, Owen in his King of Harts gear, and a Bret Hart without the shades. I've gone to different sites looking for info and pics on unreleased figures from the Hasbro line. Does anybody have a good one to suggest? I'd like to see some prototype pics if they exist.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:22 pm 
Unbreakable

whakojacko1976 wrote:
Those guys were cool! I wish they would have got around to releasing Diesel and M.O.M. as well as a Lex Luger in his All-American gear, Owen in his King of Harts gear, and a Bret Hart without the shades. I've gone to different sites looking for info and pics on unreleased figures from the Hasbro line. Does anybody have a good one to suggest? I'd like to see some prototype pics if they exist.

Somewhere in my storage of toys I have that Diesel. That mold they made was used by company who sells knockoff wrestling toys to Dollar General. He's in all black with no decdoration but it's definately Diesel.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:05 pm 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

kevfett wrote:
whakojacko1976 wrote:

Somewhere in my storage of toys I have that Diesel. That mold they made was used by company who sells knockoff wrestling toys to Dollar General. He's in all black with no decdoration but it's definately Diesel.

I never understood why they never got to Diesel. He was around for quite some time before the line ended. I would have thought he'd be in an earlier lineup. I wish they would have released him before the HBK or Razor repaints even though they were cool too because they already had figures. Jerry Lawler was another guy who was around the WWF for a few years before Hasbro lost the contract and never got a figure. Oh yeah and the managers... could you imagine a Bobby Heenan and Elizabeth figure from Hasbro? I hope one day we get some insite on what went on behind the scenes with these figures from some Hasbro insider. I'd like to see what other ideas they had for the line that never made to the pegs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:44 pm 
Unbreakable

Bobby Heenan is my favorite wrestling performer...EVER! To me, he made WWF fun. It was always fun to hate him and his "family". His show with Gorilla Monsoon was "must see" TV. I would have been crazy happy to have been able to buy a Hasbro Bobby Heenan.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:58 am 
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing

Jake "the Snake" Roberts is STILL my favorite wrestler of all time. The business took its toll on him to be sure, but watching some of those classic matches still gets me all excited and jumping around the living room DDT-ing pillows after a short Left Arm Clothesline.

When I saw his figure hanging on a peg I just HAD to have him. Didn't care about any other wrestler figure (and still don't mostly) but I HAD to have that Hasbro figure.

I got 6 of them for christmas from several different relatives and REFUSED to return any of them to the store for an exchange.

I eventually picked up a Macho Man Randy Savage (boy do I miss him, thanks to Jay Lethal for his interpretation), Ricky "the Dragon" Steamboat, and Bret "the Hitman" Hart.

I might need to look for one or two of those again now that you all have brought it up.

...in terms of the action feature, they were a bit lame but how fun was it to pull back a wrestlers arm and have him knock out Luke Skywalker or He-Man or GI Joe???