Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:33 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: 10 Old School Hasbros
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 7:44 pm 
Fugitive Dust

In addition to Justice League figures, I also do a lot of work on WWF Hasbros!

I know there's a forum for Customs, but I didn't think the majority would dig wrestling customs clogging up their board, so I stuck 'em here. If they should be over there, Julius, feel free to move them.

ImageImageImage
The Outlaw Ron Bass

ImageImageImage
Ricky The Dragon Steamboat

ImageImageImage
Warlord and the Barbarian, the Powers of Pain

ImageImageImage
the Honkytonk Man (fixup)

ImageImage
Paul Bearer

ImageImage
Billy Jack Haynes

ImageImageImage
Mean Gene Okerlund

ImageImageImage
Cowboy Bob Orton

ImageImage
The King Harley Race

Hope you like them!

Joel Klase

Post subject: Great customs!
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 12:41 pm 
Tis' but a pup

Hey Joe,

Great work!

I was actually at the show where the POWERS OF PAIN and DEMOLITION did the double-flip from heel to face...

Crowds LOVED the Powers of Pain until Demolition dumped Mr. Fuji and the P.O.P. hoisted him on his shoulders.

Demolition became faces, and the Warlord and the Barbarian became instant heels...All because of the manager they chose! Simpler times!

I just sent Julius a new (and very overdue) PWF column which includes pix of the WWE/F Classics Wave 7 KING HARLEY RACE...or "Handsome Harrley Race" as he was initially billed!

If you ever have the free time and want to write up your customs or insight on the HASBRO WWF line, I'd be happy to post it and credit you... I used to have the old little figs but I sold them all years ago!!! Including Dusty Rhodes in polka dots and Andre!!!

Anyway, I'm trying to upgrade our Wrestling Coverage after helping out with lots of other aspects on the site... But if anyone wants to help, e-mail me via the site or just post a reply!

And GREAT Paul Bearer and Mean Gene... You reused the Jakks and Toy Biz heads, right?

Cubanzod

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 2:27 pm 
Dog Squeezer

Joe!

Those are some damn fine customs!

That Paul Bearer is so...dare I say it...CUTE! :lol:

Great stuff!

The old Hasbro line has that clunky yet utterly charming old toy appeal. When toys were just toys and it wasn't all about detail, authenticity and realism.

Just fun!

SpyMagician

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 4:28 pm 
Fugitive Dust

Cuban--was that Survivor Series '88 in Cleveland? Loved that moment, though it took a week or 2 to fully understand what was happening. Double turns are rare, and that was the first one I'd even watch unfold.

I'd be happy to write about my customs, and/or thoughts on the Hasbro line. I've been working on them off and on for a little under 12 years!! Whoa, that makes me sound kinda old!

As for my Hasbro collection, I'm only missing Bart Gunn! I can't justify paying $45 bucks for one figure...so who knows if I'll ever complete the line!

Bearer and Okerlund were the heads you named.

Spy--you hit the nail right on the head!! This line was just plain FUN! Cool wrestling features (for the most part, hate the jumping ones, ala Superfly and the Rockers) and a sturdy ring!

My biggest gripe--no managers! At least Jimmy Hart and Bobby Heenan deserved figures, let alone Mr. Fuji, Slick and Ms. Elizabeth!

LJNs hold a special place in my heart, but Hasbros are my absolute favorites! I started collecting around the time the line wound down, bought a Flair and Honkytonk at KB Toys on clearance. Now I own probably 300 of the little suckers! (eBay is a GREAT thing!)

Thanks for lookin' and thanks for the kind words!

Joel

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 4:40 pm 
Unbreakable

Om my god those are aewsome. I especially like the Harley Race. I'm surprised they never made Mean Gene. Besides Hogan he was like THE WWF icon (at least to me).

I have a huge box of these in my parents basement. I can't even begin to remember all of the ones I have. I'll take a look and see if I have Bart.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 6:58 pm 
Tis' but a pup

Those are all really great. I've always had a soft spot in my heart for the Powers of Pain and those especially look fantastic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 1:22 pm 
Tis' but a pup

Joel,

Yes, the P.O.P. did the double-switch at the Richfield Coliseum...I was still a teenager then in 1988!

I'd love to post your musings or thoughts on the old Hasbro line... Drop me a line at artykathy@sbcglobal.net, and we can figure out how best to go about it... The digital pics and customs look great!

Cubanzod