Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:09 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6082 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 406  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 4:42 pm 
Super Amigo Fantastico!

Nice pics up at CTR :

http://www.cooltoyreview.com/SDCC08/Hasbro/MU/default.asp

Peace,

Chip

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 4:50 pm 
'The Barf' does not annoy him

Um, I really hate to say this, but I have to agree with the above comment on how these blow Mattel's Infinite Heroes away.

I gotta go say this in the Mattel thread too...

'...because the minute a little girl is trampled by 100 teenage girls trying to get to Justin Beiber at the Tea Cups, you will be wondering why the hell we make poor Justin Beiber stand in a 30 minute line and create an unsafe atmosphere.'

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:25 pm 
Kool Moe Dee

These remind me of 25th JOES(scale aside) in that they are either really good, or terrible, not much in between.

VC9k

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:35 am 
"You can set your clock to his haircut"

Here's release news according to Figures.com:

According to sources at Hasbro, the current release plan look something like this...

Wave 1
* Spider-man
* Punisher
* Iron Man
* Silver Surfer

Wave 1.5
* Black Panther
* Wolverine (X-Force)
* Bullseye
* Daredevil
* Stealth Armor Iron Man
* Human Torch (Flames)
* Human Torch (F4 costume)

Wave 2
* Hulk (Green)
* Hulk (Gray)
* Green Goblin
* Ronin
* Ultimate Captain America
* Iron Fist

More figures are planned, though release dates and additional information - including specific retail prices - were unavailable.

The line, which will feature a bookshelf "numbering" packaging system allowing fans and collectors who prefer to display their figures mint in box to show off the completeness of their series, will feature multiple points of articulation - including head/neck, shoulders, biceps, elbows, wrists/forearms, chest/waist, hip, knee, and ankle - as well as character-specific accessories.

Note: They just listed Goblin and Captain America. But it's obviously Green Goblin and Ultimate Captain America since we've actually seen them on display.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:46 am 
active in the community

Thanks for the list... sucks that I have to wait for wave 2 for my favorite character...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:07 am 
Unbreakable

Isn't this line based on a Skrull invasion? Kinda odd considering there isn't a Skrull on that early list. Otherwise it's pretty light on the villians.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 7:14 pm 
Bob Vila

kevfett wrote:
Isn't this line based on a Skrull invasion? Kinda odd considering there isn't a Skrull on that early list. Otherwise it's pretty light on the villians.

How do you KNOW there isn't a Skrull on the list?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:42 pm 
active in the community

hellpop wrote:
kevfett wrote:

How do you KNOW there isn't a Skrull on the list?

That is an outragously good point..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:37 am 
Still ahead of Mudd

Beast wrote:
Price point is supposed to be on par with Star Wars.

So single packs, probably $6.00. Comic Packs, likely $10.

Except that now means SIngles 8.00 (at Target) and Comic Packs at 12.00.

Perosnally I would give up all the articulation for the cheaper price point--- Heck I would give up the extra articulation for no change to the price point. The more joints means the less sturdy the figure and more breakage.. add a ball joint to DCIH and thats All I would need.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:42 pm 
Factory Worker

These are equal too or less than IH but no better. What's with the ball joints in the groin? It makes them look like they have a serious inflammation issue in the region. I will have to see them before i buy them but if Hasbro is making them, then my expectations are way, way low. The only decent action figures to ever come out of that company are the 30th anniversary and some current Saga packs from Star wars and some of the titanium ships. Not all of them just a few. They also get kudos for Mighty Muggs. Indiana Jones is the worst. The rest is just garbage. When will Marvel put out figures that match or beat DC Direct. I guess never.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:12 am 
"You can set your clock to his haircut"

stewbacca wrote:
Beast wrote:
Price point is supposed to be on par with Star Wars.

So single packs, probably $6.00. Comic Packs, likely $10.

Except that now means SIngles 8.00 (at Target) and Comic Packs at 12.00.

Perosnally I would give up all the articulation for the cheaper price point--- Heck I would give up the extra articulation for no change to the price point. The more joints means the less sturdy the figure and more breakage.. add a ball joint to DCIH and thats All I would need.

Yeah, well... Target sucks. Heh. I'll buy from Wal-Mart.

And why give up the articulation? I've almost never had a problem with articulation when it comes to Hasbro's 3 3/4" stuff. Hundreds of Star Wars figures over the last decade+ and no problems.

toylad wrote:
These are equal too or less than IH but no better. What's with the ball joints in the groin? It makes them look like they have a serious inflammation issue in the region. I will have to see them before i buy them but if Hasbro is making them, then my expectations are way, way low. The only decent action figures to ever come out of that company are the 30th anniversary and some current Saga packs from Star wars and some of the titanium ships. Not all of them just a few. They also get kudos for Mighty Muggs. Indiana Jones is the worst. The rest is just garbage. When will Marvel put out figures that match or beat DC Direct. I guess never.

They are waaaaaaaay better than the IH lines. Better sculpts, more articulation, better paintjobs. Hell, the IH line uses almost nothing but bucks with different decos. Sculpted details are where it's at. And the ball-joint is fine, it gives them superhero articulation. And low expectations? 3 3/4" is what Hasbro does best. Just look at Star Wars, G.I. Joe, and Indiana Jones. great stuff there. As for matching DC Direct, that's what Marvel Select is for.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:13 am 
obsolete and uniquely stupid subnic

Beast, I agree with a lot of what you are saying except the following:

Beast wrote:
Yeah, well... Target sucks.

1. Blasphemy! Target rules over Wal-Mart, although there does seem to be a Wal-Mart/Marvel vs. Target/DC thing that has happened, so if you don't care about DC product I guess I can see why you would like Wal-Mart better, but I would waaaayyyy rather hunt for toys at Targets than at Wal-Marts. I wish all toylines were exclusive to Target (actually I wish I could just preorder everything I want online at the retail price).

Beast wrote:
As for matching DC Direct, that's what Marvel Select is for.

2. Just for the sake of playing devil's advocate....there are lots of complaints about DC Direct that are valid, but they (IMHO) blow Marvel Select away. I have never understood what the mission was for Marvel Select. They made product at the same time as a popular 6 inch line, but they didn't try to compliment it or work with it (from scale to character choices, etc.).

For example, what is the point of the Emma Frost? If she was in scale with Marvel Legends she would be a great figure (all the Marvel Select females would be improvements over the Marvel Legends females if they were in scale). But she's not in scale, and she doesn't go with any of the other Marvel Select product. The Emma is great for someone who just wants to have Emma on a shelf all by herself.

Most of the Marvel Select look cool, but where do they fit into an overall collection? I happen to like the Thanos figure and his scale doesn't bother me, although I know most Marvel Legends fans think he is way too big. I know they did do the basic Ultimates team, and the skrull and brood can work with ML, but... DC Direct on the other hand has scale issues, and they don't complete teams, but they have various lines (ie, artist specific ones) that have their own internal logic and can sit on the shelf together in a way that makes sense.

BACK ON TOPIC: I think the Marvel 3 3/4 look awesome, and I hope that the competition somehow makes the DCIH improve. I'm glad that my favorite characters aren't out yet in the DCIH line so that the line can get better before they make what I really want.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:17 am 
Bob Vila

I've always felt the same way about Marvel Select. The few figures that would fit in well with Marvel Legends (Thanos, the Watcher, Mephisto) lack the articulation that really makes ML great. I've just never seen the point of why they exist.

Beast: terrific job in describing the differences between DCIU and the new Marvel line.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:10 am 
serves the Otter

No idea what Marvel Select's purpose is honestly. But keep doing what your doing MS.

These figures look incredible, but hey where's Moon Knight?!

Just because these are supposed to be the same price range as Joe doesn't mean Target will try to gouge us on these too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:24 am 
The Last Word

Beast wrote:
They are waaaaaaaay better than the IH lines. Better sculpts, more articulation, better paintjobs. Hell, the IH line uses almost nothing but bucks with different decos. Sculpted details are where it's at. And the ball-joint is fine, it gives them superhero articulation. And low expectations? 3 3/4" is what Hasbro does best. Just look at Star Wars, G.I. Joe, and Indiana Jones. great stuff there.

Absolutely. The 25th Anniversary G.I. JOE figures are THE best 3¾" line of action figures ever produced, and one of the best lines in any scale. The design team seems to have taken the same approach with this Marvel line, and it will be all the better for it. Hasbro sets the standard in that size, and no one else - especially Mattel - even comes close. I'm a much bigger fan of DC than of Marvel, and I love the JLU line, but I wouldn't want those Infinite Heroes figures if they were free. I might actually buy a few of these, just because they're crafted exactly how modern 3¾" figures should be.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6082 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 406  Next