Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:42 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6065 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 405  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:59 am 
Benevolent Barkeep, Bouncer, Bulwark

Caped Crusader wrote:
Absolutely. The 25th Anniversary G.I. JOE figures are THE best 3¾" line of action figures ever produced, and one of the best lines in any scale. ....but I wouldn't want those Infinite Heroes figures if they were free. I might actually buy a few of these, just because they're crafted exactly how modern 3¾" figures should be.

In your humble opinion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:59 am 
Kool Moe Dee

Caped Crusader wrote:
Absolutely. The 25th Anniversary G.I. JOE figures are THE best 3¾" line of action figures ever produced, and one of the best lines in any scale. The design team seems to have taken the same approach with this Marvel line, and it will be all the better for it. Hasbro sets the standard in that size, and no one else - especially Mattel - even comes close. I'm a much bigger fan of DC than of Marvel, and I love the JLU line, but I wouldn't want those Infinite Heroes figures if they were free. I might actually buy a few of these, just because they're crafted exactly how modern 3¾" figures should be.

I sort of agree with you CC except that when the JOES are good, they are great and when they are bad they are terrible and these upcoming Marvel figures seem to share that same trait.

I'd say out of every 10 JOES, 2 are holy s#it amazing, 5 are pretty great and 3 are pitiful. The new MU figures look to be about the same.

IH on the other hand are mostly mediocre, out of the 30 or so figures I've seen only 2 looked better than okay to me. It's fine though as this is really a low priced line for "gasp" kids!

The irony of course is that in twenty years IH is the line that all the nerds of the future will be going on about because they are the figures they played with as children.

VC9k

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:28 am 
wears suits so fine they make Sinatra look like a hobo

vancleef9000 wrote:
I'd say out of every 10 JOES, 2 are holy s#it amazing, 5 are pretty great and 3 are pitiful.

That seems pretty extreme...the last three waves had 22 figures, so 10 of those are pitiful? Which ones? There have been more than a few excellent figures - BATs, Snow Serpents, Hawk, BBQ, Flint TF, Arctic SE, HISS Driver, SE #3, Torpedo, armored CC...

Take a walk on the Sunny Side of the Street
http://www.facebook.com/SunnySideNews

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:42 am 

I like the 25th Anniversary Joes. I'm buying them even though I probably shouldn't. Like this week - I went into Target and saw Bazooka and Barbecue and my arm just reached for them. They are really appealing. They are great figures. I wouldn't say perfect, but that's just MHO. For instance, I really hate mid-torso articulation. I don't think its necessary and I think it really detracts from the look of the figure. Shipwreck stands out in this regard:

And even though I prefer more minimal articulation I do think that many of the VOTC Star Wars figures are superb. Han Solo is one of my favorite figures period:

I think I like figures like this with more articulation because it fits in well. It doesn't detract from the look of the overall figure. And that is what ruins the 3 3/4 Marvel line for me. The articulation is just so dang clunky. I mean, look at those ankles and torsos.

I am more of a Marvel fan than a DC fan. Just started out that way. But I prefer the look of the Infinite Heroes line better. Yeah, they're kinda goofy with those big hands, etc but I just prefer the more simple look. Just more of a toy for me. I was excited about the smaller Marvel line and I will get some, but I guess I'm just nostalgic for the Secret Wars line or something.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:00 am 
The Last Word

Cantina-Dan wrote:
In your humble opinion.

Not really.

Cantina-Dan wrote:
I like the 25th Anniversary Joes. I'm buying them even though I probably shouldn't. Like this week - I went into Target and saw Bazooka and Barbecue and my arm just reached for them. They are really appealing. They are great figures. I wouldn't say perfect, but that's just MHO. For instance, I really hate mid-torso articulation. I don't think its necessary and I think it really detracts from the look of the figure. Shipwreck stands out in this regard:

And even though I prefer more minimal articulation I do think that many of the VOTC Star Wars figures are superb. Han Solo is one of my favorite figures period:

I think I like figures like this with more articulation because it fits in well. It doesn't detract from the look of the overall figure. And that is what ruins the 3 3/4 Marvel line for me. The articulation is just so dang clunky. I mean, look at those ankles and torsos.

I definitely think there's such a thing as too much articulation; Marvel Legends is my first example of that. From what I've seen, it applies to DCUC, as well, at least to a certain extent. For a 3¾" line, however, I see the style used for 25th Anniversary G.I. JOE and this new Marvel line as the perfect balance between sculpt and articulation.

vancleef9000 wrote:
I sort of agree with you CC except that when the JOES are good, they are great and when they are bad they are terrible and these upcoming Marvel figures seem to share that same trait.

I'd say out of every 10 JOES, 2 are holy s#it amazing, 5 are pretty great and 3 are pitiful. The new MU figures look to be about the same.

Okay, but you've said 1) Zartan was "a terrible figure", 2) you don't like Snake-Eyes being a ninja, and 3) you didn't like Buzzer. The ninja element was one of the coolest aspects of G.I. JOE, I think Buzzer is great (even after seeing enough of them at retail to make me puke), and the wave 3 Zartan is one of my favorite action figures ever from any line. It's definitely my favorite G.I. JOE figure. While we both like G.I. JOE, you and I are operate on two totally different wavelengths.

That's not to say I'm in love with every 25th Anniversary release, though. I could have lived without Gung-Ho, Shipwreck, Serpentor, Wild Bill, Spirit, Beach Head, Snow Job, Lady Jaye, and Flint. Other than Lady Jaye and Flint, there wasn't really anything wrong with the figures themselves. It's just that I never cared much for those characters in the first place during the '80s. Overall, the way the line has been aproached as a whole is just absolutely beautiful. I could spend as much time praising it as I have money buying it.

vancleef9000 wrote:
The irony of course is that in twenty years IH is the line that all the nerds of the future will be going on about because they are the figures they played with as children.

Or they'll say, "I only played with Marvel Universe as a kid. The DC toys the stores had all sucked!" :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:02 am 

Caped Crusader wrote:
Cantina-Dan wrote:
In your humble opinion.

Not really.

:roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:14 am 
The Last Word

Cantina-Dan wrote:
Are you really that arrogant?

And then some, which is what I was saying: that my opinion isn't really humble.

If you want to discuss something other than toys, please find another dance partner. I'm honestly not interested in your opinion of me, even if you're going to edit your posts after giving it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:33 am 

Yeah, I decided it wasn't worth stirring anything up. But, really, you do want to dance.

Oh, and thanks for putting me in my place.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:52 pm 

Superhero Times has some new press shots:
http://sdcc08.superherotimes.com/showga ... hp?cat=564

Definitely growing on me! Obviously, characters that have costumes that help hide articulation look nicer. Silver Surfer and Iron Fist are tough since there isn't really any way to hide it. But, for example, Captain America's costume helps to disguise the torso articulation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 6:33 pm 
Bob Vila

Too cool. They do look like they will fit in well with Showdown. I cannot wait to get my hands on Iron Fist and Black Panther!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 6:53 pm 
obsolete and uniquely stupid subnic

I think they look sweet, and I've never been that into this scale. I know it's hard to compare the character selection for Star Wars to Marvel, but it would be cool if they eventually made really obscure Marvel characters...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:15 pm 
5th Horseman

Caped Crusader wrote:
Beast wrote:
They are waaaaaaaay better than the IH lines. Better sculpts, more articulation, better paintjobs. Hell, the IH line uses almost nothing but bucks with different decos. Sculpted details are where it's at. And the ball-joint is fine, it gives them superhero articulation. And low expectations? 3 3/4" is what Hasbro does best. Just look at Star Wars, G.I. Joe, and Indiana Jones. great stuff there.

Absolutely. The 25th Anniversary G.I. JOE figures are THE best 3¾" line of action figures ever produced, and one of the best lines in any scale. The design team seems to have taken the same approach with this Marvel line, and it will be all the better for it. Hasbro sets the standard in that size, and no one else - especially Mattel - even comes close. I'm a much bigger fan of DC than of Marvel, and I love the JLU line, but I wouldn't want those Infinite Heroes figures if they were free. I might actually buy a few of these, just because they're crafted exactly how modern 3¾" figures should be.

Agreed. The DCIH figures like like crappy customs. The paint is sloppy, and the sculpts are bland... no accessories thus far in anything released that I've seen.

Hasbro definitely has my interest piqued here!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:45 am 
The Last Word

HalJordanist wrote:
The DCIH figures like like crappy customs. The paint is sloppy, and the sculpts are bland... no accessories thus far in anything released that I've seen.

Crappy customs is a good description. I was in Target last night, cursing under my breath about the fact that there still isn't any new JLU around here and glaring at the DCIH figures. You know what they look like to me? Like something the Kenner guys threw together for their Super Powers pitch, only with the caveat of, "Now don't worry, guys, because the final product will look much better than these things. We just came up with these in a rush to show you something." I mean, it's nice to see so many characters, and blah, blah, blah, but whatever. If a line that debuted while the Oakland Raiders were the defending Super Bowl champions looked better than the toys you're producing in 2008, you're doing it wrong.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:16 am 
5th Horseman

Amen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:32 am 
Bob Vila

I don't know if they're quite that bad....

The Oakland Raiders line was a good one though. :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6065 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 405  Next