Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:27 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 122 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Indiana Jones line cancelled?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:51 am 
wears suits so fine they make Sinatra look like a hobo

http://www.toymania.com/toybuzz/messages/61850.shtml

http://i36.tinypic.com/s309ow.jpg

I meant to post this Monday. True or not, it obviously hasn't done as well as hoped. Every store I go into has tons and tons of these guys. What a major disappointment. :(

But hey, at least we got a real IJ line. I was waiting for that for 20 years, so I'm happy with that.

Take a walk on the Sunny Side of the Street
http://www.facebook.com/SunnySideNews

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:21 am 
Kool Moe Dee

I'm looking forward to the TOD figures, the quality might even be improved enough that I buy them.

VC9k

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:36 am 
serves the Otter

Well I think everyone can see that going that way... But not selling the TOD figures would be a big mistake. They'll sell a million Short Round's alone!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:54 am 
Still ahead of Mudd

Maniac Joker wrote:
Well I think everyone can see that going that way... But not selling the TOD figures would be a big mistake. They'll sell a million Short Round's alone!

That they will--

But Even the Last Crusade wave is starting to pegwarm--- there are shelves of young Indys and Grail Knights all over the place now.

THere is just not a fanbase for this line that Hasbro expected--(and once I saw how much they were marketing this to the star wars crowd- I knew it was going to die-- crusty old white guy factor does not sell.) And Hasbro needs to learn just because Rebelscum pushes for something doesnt mean they have their pulse on the common public. When everyone was demanding Marcus Brody-- did they really think kids would want that-- I mean General Madines are in the vintage 1.00 bins by the 1000's and not even star wars fans will buy all the Imperial officers -- despite claims to the contrary when they put their wish lists out there.

Hasbro just went to much too fast -- I mean with DC and Marvel they do their releases of 6-8 figures every 3-4 months--and every one of their characters are more recognizeable than Col. Dovechnko.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:13 pm 
'The Barf' does not annoy him

stewbacca wrote:
But Even the Last Crusade wave is starting to pegwarm--- there are shelves of young Indys and Grail Knights all over the place now.

Not where I live. Sure, maybe Young Indy and the Machine Gun Indy can be found, but scratch finding tons of the Grail Knight, Henry, or Elsa or Vogel. I have yet to see Elsa or Vogel and they've been released for months now.

If this line is cancelled, then go on Hasbro, sell those damn Mutts like the "popular" figure he is. Heck, why not ship full cases of him and turn a real profit? Oh, wait a sec...it's pretty much that way already.

If the Indy line is truly dead, then Hasbro bungled this in ways that is beyond description. If heads will roll over at Big H HQ, then let me take a crack at the brainiac who screwed things up over in Rhode Island. :twisted:

'...because the minute a little girl is trampled by 100 teenage girls trying to get to Justin Beiber at the Tea Cups, you will be wondering why the hell we make poor Justin Beiber stand in a 30 minute line and create an unsafe atmosphere.'

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:41 pm 
Daniel Pickett

I have never seen a single Last Crusade figure in all of So Cal. Those of you that have them peg warming send them out west!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:07 pm 
wears suits so fine they make Sinatra look like a hobo

I haven't seen any Last Crusade figures on the shelves here either. I got all mine from HTS.

Take a walk on the Sunny Side of the Street
http://www.facebook.com/SunnySideNews

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 3:53 pm 
5th Horseman

I haven't seen a single Last Crusade figure either. Been waiting on them.

I would be fairly satisfied with what's been put out so far in addition to the TOD wave. If they stopped after that all of us that would be interested would still have a really nice Indiana Jones collection.

Who knows... unpopular today, expensive and highly sought after thirty years from now. But as it looks right now, there will be plenty of IJ figures sitting on the pegs to last until then so...

-J

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:02 pm 
Loose, Missing Package

I hate to see it go. Considering that the last wave is probably tooled (Toht is for sure) I would hope that Hasbro would find a way to get those out at least.

For anyone that is interested, HTS has the Thug 2-pack and Mutt w/ motorcycle right now. Got the motorcycle set in the mail yesterday, very nice, much like the German cycle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:29 pm 
serves the Otter

I only ever see a few of the Last Crusade set and never any of the guys I want. I think this line could be a success at a lower price point, but we'll see. Too many pegwarmers though. We needed less Indy and only one version of Mutt.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:39 pm 
Benevolent Barkeep, Bouncer, Bulwark

JuliusMarx wrote:
I have never seen a single Last Crusade figure in all of So Cal. Those of you that have them peg warming send them out west!

I've only gotten a few Indy figs. Saw the Last Crusade wave at a KB Outlet here in AZ a couple weeks ago. I do want the Henry Sr. and am kicking myself for not picking him up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:51 pm 
Collector Inspector

Quote:
If the Indy line is truly dead, then Hasbro bungled this in ways that is beyond description. If heads will roll over at Big H HQ, then let me take a crack at the brainiac who screwed things up over in Rhode Island. :twisted:

I have one question. Why is it always somenone at the companies fault or the companies fault that something doesn't sell. Maybe the only mistake made was that Hasbro misread the demand for Indy toys. Maybe the only people that wanted these are the same people that felt they got gypped in the 80's with Kenner's line of ROTA or LJN's TOD. Maybe Indy just isn't really that great for a toyline. The lisence never really produced a great toyline in the first place. It's not like Star Wars, G.I.JOE, or Transformers even though they were pretty much marketed just like these other toylines.[/quote]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:10 am 
5" Scale

I got Henry Sr. through HTS, but have yet to see any of the wave at retail. I do want to pick up Elsa & Vogel if I ever see them, but everything around here is still overflowing with the original release stuff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:21 am 
Bob Vila

Cookie_TXPSY wrote:
I have one question. Why is it always somenone at the companies fault or the companies fault that something doesn't sell. Maybe the only mistake made was that Hasbro misread the demand for Indy toys. Maybe the only people that wanted these are the same people that felt they got gypped in the 80's with Kenner's line of ROTA or LJN's TOD. Maybe Indy just isn't really that great for a toyline. The lisence never really produced a great toyline in the first place. It's not like Star Wars, G.I.JOE, or Transformers even though they were pretty much marketed just like these other toylines.

I think you're probably right; I think, outside of Indiana Jones himself, there isn't much demand for toys based on characters from these films. This seems to me to be the mistake that movie toy lines make-- they overanticipate the demand for toys made from the supporting characters, when most casual collectors, fans of the film, and kids will just want the star. Of course, you can't just have a one figure toy line... can you?

I'm curious, does anyone think it was a mistake to release Indy figures in the smaller scale? I might have bought a 6" Indy, but the 3 3/4" just wasn't interesting.

Basically, everyone in the toy industry has to stop looking at Star Wars as the norm and realize it's the exception.
:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:28 am 
Kool Moe Dee

Cookie, Hasbro released a gazillion Googly Eyes Indy®. Combine that with an overwhelming "meh" to Crystal Skull and the fact that it's mostly old boring dudes sitting on shelves and you have Episode One all over again(Mutt= Jar Jar). People really want to love this line but it's no one but Hasbro's fault that it didn't succeed.

I think TOD and LC figures(and even some Raiders) will be appreciated for years to come. Every figure can be had for retail on ebay so if anyone has any interest there is no time like the present(maybe I should take my own advice) Toht is really the only character that seems like it's missing if no more Raiders figures come out, but he would be a perfect SDCC exclusive.

VC9k

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 122 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next