Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:19 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1448 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 97  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:41 pm 
active in the community

As a big Star Wars fan I've been collecting the figures since the 70's. These days with an average price of about $7.99 I've cut way back and have become very selective. Like others have stated I collect mostly characters from the original trilogy, especially the ones that have never been done before. Over the Christmas season I picked up a Padme and Bane Malar. I was going to get an Ashoka but when I saw it close up her figure didn't really impress me at the time but now I regret passing her up. I'd be tempted to get some characters from the recent Clone Wars T.V. show depending on how the sculpts look.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:15 am 
Shifts It Into Overdrive

The improved articulation and use of soft goods finally got me back into SW last year. I'm selective too, since there are so many characters out there to choose from. Way too many droids, aliens, and Jedi that I don't really care about. Basically, if they do a definitive version of an OT character which I dig, I'll pick that up.

Still waiting for a soft goods Jawa done in the vintage style so I can army-build the little guys. A new Lando in original or General outfit would rock. Same for Bespin Han. That's probably the figure that I'm looking forward to the most right now, if they ever get around to him again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:53 am 
Benevolent Barkeep, Bouncer, Bulwark

Lt. Clutch wrote:
Same for Bespin Han.

I guess it has been a while now. I really loved the last version that came out in the POTJ days.
http://www.rebelscum.com/potjhanbespincapture.asp

Even bought 2 'cause I liked him so much!

As for Lando, the VOTC version that came out a couple years ago is pretty good. Just wish he had ball jointed elbows instead of the swivels:
http://www.rebelscum.com/OTC-Vlando.asp

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:01 pm 
Still ahead of Mudd

See thats the exact opposite of my feelings- If they never do a basic character again I will be happy-- no DSII Luke, no Senate Duel Emperor not another Han. I would of skipped the Obi and Han Stormie last wave if the BAD pieces were replicated- same with the Luke and Leia in the ESB-- those of us that were there from the beginning-- hate to see them redo figures-- Understand the need for it- but I still hate it (and although I like the BAD concept- I liked it better when I didnt have to buy new versions of old figures every wave.)

I prefer them to flesh out the remaining non human background characters as much as they can (and then the line can die) :D -- because in the immortal words of Kermit-- thats whats missing- we need more Bears and Dogs and Pigs and Chickens and such.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:09 am 
Shifts It Into Overdrive

Yeah, that Bespin Han from POTJ was sweet. Love that pose they used for the pic! He's aged well for an older sculpt. I might get him eventually if Hasbro doesn't announce a new one soon. I think they said maybe next year in one of last year's Q & As?

That classic Lando does rock, I do have the VOTC version, but I also liked the later comic pack cape that was both soft goods and poseable. Wish they'd thought of that earlier on.

Hate those cut joint elbows, though! I'd rather have Vintage-era arms with no articulation than those funky joints which make the figures look like their arms broke in two! Give me the newer ball joints any day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:25 am 
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing

Quote:
because in the immortal words of Kermit-- thats whats missing- we need more Bears and Dogs and Pigs and Chickens and such.

Anybody quoting Kermit to make a point is ok in my book!

One of the main reasons I got out of collecting SW was due to the over abundance of Luke, Leia, Han and whatnot. Do we really need Tatooine Luke rescuplted or offered with a different accessory a dozen times???

I would much rather see countless hordes of aliens, and background filler. But I understand that Luke, Leia, Hand and whatnot ar the equivalent to Bats, Supes, WW or Spidey, IronMan, Hulk and if the line is to continue to succeed it must keep refreshing these key characters.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:35 am 

I'm pretty selective with the Star Wars figures I buy. Pretty much only interested in new characters from the saga. IF they release a figure vastly superior to a previous release I'll pick it up. I also skip lots of clones.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:20 pm 
active in the community

Cantina-Dan wrote:
I'm pretty selective with the Star Wars figures I buy. Pretty much only interested in new characters from the saga. IF they release a figure vastly superior to a previous release I'll pick it up. I also skip lots of clones.

I do the exact same thing. Trouble is, I have a weakness for Jedi and droids. Being on a budget, I have to fight the urge to buy every one that comes out, even though in the case of the R2 units most of the time it's just a simple repaint.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:34 pm 
ABS

I only purchase interesting droids or Jedi characters. If more Knights of the Old Republic were made I would get those. I have a small colelction of the iconic characters that are put out for display then put into a box every so often.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:50 pm 
active in the community

I would love it if Hasbro would make more KOTOR figures. They really have been way too slow in that regard.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:49 pm 
5" Scale

At least we're getting HK-47 as a build a droid!

I'd love more KOTOR figures as well but would settle just for a Bastila.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:33 pm 
active in the community

A Bastila would be fantastic, I'd also wish they'd produce a Mission Vao and Zaalbar, it could be a two pack.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:04 am 
5th Horseman

Damn. It happened to me again!

I opened up my box of Star Wars figures to go through them and find ones to put on eBay or trade on here. Mainly because there are a lot of DC, GI Joe, and Transformer figures that I want right now. After going through them I've decided to do neither. This is the third time I've gone through this cycle.

I was only going to get rid of the crappy ones like a lot of the figures from ROTS. Man, there are some stinkers in that line. Like the newer Kit Fisto... what a piece. Anyway, after going through... I don't think I can bring myself to do it.

One thing I would really like to do is a have a decent figure for each character. I don't need three or four different Saese Tiin figures. Just one (maybe two) good ones, right?

Star Wars is the most difficult thing to collect because there are so many damn figures. If a character gets a second on the screen (or less) BOOM! Figure made at some point. This is good and bad. Good for people that can get what they want. Bad for people trying to collect on a budget.

I still don't have most of the toys I want from the original trilogy. Especially vehicle and playset wise. Guess I'll have to keep pushin' on for a long time! Just don't know what I'm going to do with some of these lame figures I have from AOTC and ROTS. Don't want them but I can't bring myself to get rid of them. What is that about?

-J

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:36 am 
Still ahead of Mudd

Well I had been collecting one of each since the beginning (1977 not 1995) and about 2 years ago I was running out of room so I decided to only keep one definitive figure of each character in each costume-- after doing that I had a box of about 500 figures I needed to get rid of-- sold some to the local DCSWCC but I recently ended up just putting most of them in lots on ebay.(I had like 40 vaders and 50 lukes alone to get rid of).

And I think next year I might have to begin the cycle again -due mostly to comic, battle and other multi packs-

Since I am a loose collector, I now only pick up new character figures (well until the damn BAD and coins promos) and the remakes-- I usually buy- bring home and compare to the old and keep whichever I like better.

And as far as figs like Saesee Tinn--

Well you have the Jedi Council Version, the Clone Wars Cracked horn version, the Full Robe /Senate Arrest Version, the Realistic clones wars Space Armor version and the Arena Battle Version- not to mention the Animated version.

So even for "background" characters you have to decide how many you want to keep.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:44 am 

HalJordanist wrote:
Damn.
I was only going to get rid of the crappy ones like a lot of the figures from ROTS. Man, there are some stinkers in that line. Like the newer Kit Fisto... what a piece. Anyway, after going through... I don't think I can bring myself to do it.

Most times with Star Wars figures the eBay return isn't worth the effort to list and ship them. Unfortunately.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1448 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 97  Next