Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 373 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next
 Post subject: Re: Transformers Classics-Henkei-Universe-Generations (CHUG)
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:37 am 
there were horses, and a man on fire, and I killed a guy with a trident

Got Soundblaster and Buzzsaw from Toys R Us Yesterday. I am very happy with them.

"I knew we'd made a mistake the minute I saw that little bologna loaf in the hospital bassinet." - Calvin's Dad.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:09 am 
5th Horseman

Sean Whitmore wrote:
However, it's Takara that's actually known for being being obsessed with cartoon-accuracy. For the best examples, compare the Hasbro and Takara versions of Ironhide, Smokescreen, and Powerglide. Same with the Masterpieces; check out the two Soundwaves and Rodimus Primes.

I guess what I was thinking was, from my observations, Hasbro usually has softer, brighter colors that seem to more closely resemble color schemes from the cartoon. I think Takara versions are more accurate, as far as detail goes, but the seem to mostly have deeper, richer colors, reminiscent of the G1 toys. For instance, Hound, MP-10, Sunstreaker, etc.

Sean whitmore wrote:
As for future Masterpieces, it's really hard to guess. The ones with the most repaint material seem the obvious frontrunners, but since they're going for strict animation looks, that list is a lot smaller than usual. There's not really anyone else to turn a cartoon-accurate Sunstreaker into, for example. Blaster from Soundwave might be a possibility.

It would suck so bad not to get a Sunstreaker to go along with that gorgeous Sideswipe. In looking at all the nice MPs that have recently come out, and those that have yet to be released, it leaves me hopeful for Sunstreaker and some others. I guess I can stomach mixing MPs and Classics, but it would just drive me crazy, trying to do that with Sunstreaker and Sideswipe. I wouldn't be able to do it. It would have to be both MP, both classics, or none. Unless, of course, I just keep a lonely, lonely Sideswipe and no Sunstreaker... :(

Sean whitmore wrote:
Personally, I'm loving FOC Blaster, but your mileage may vary. His robot mode is accurate enough for me, and I don't care about his alt mode. And his size is already a good midway point between his Autobot car buddies and the larger Decepticons. I might buy a Masterpiece version if they make one, but he's way down on the list of characters I wanna see done.

I think I'm going to open him up and play around with him. Find out for myself. Though, once I have my MP Soundwave, it may drive me bonkers that they're not comparable in size. And I agree, an MP Blaster would be cool, but there are a lot of other characters I'd rather see get the MP treatment first.

Sean whitmore wrote:
FOC Grimlock is great for a deluxe-size collection (the rest of the WFC/FOC toys, for example). But if you're gonna go whole-hog, nothing beats MP Grimmy.

See, I thought about that after I had already purchased this. I think I may keep him with WFC/FOC, though, like you suggest. And there lies another issue I have: I'd love to see more Transformers done in this style. Though, if there isn't a voyager Prime or Megatron, to me, there's absolutely no point in having Voyager versions of Soundwave and Blaster for this collection. It just throws the whole scale out of whack! I love the way the deluxe Decepticons (Megatron, Soundwave, Shockwave--hopefully I'll add Starscream soon) look together, but GOOD LORD... WFC Bumblebee looks even slightly larger than WFC Prime. I'll just have to see if that's some that really bothers me or not.

You know... collecting Transformers is hard work! :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:09 pm 
An Insider

HalJordanist wrote:

It takes a man to do a boy's job. :)

I agree about the WFC/FOC deluxes. There's really something to be said for actually having Megatron, Shockwave, Soundwave, and Starscream (and soon the two other Seekers) all in the same scale. And the real beauty of it is how they work posed with other toys. Thunderwing and Straxus, who would be criminally undersized in a Classics display, look perfect with these guys. Lugnut looks appropriately massive next to them. And Generations Bruticus, who's only a little bigger than a Masterpiece, towers over them all.

I don't use WFC Bumblebee, both because he's too big and because I just don't like the toy. There's a new Legends-class version coming out, I'll wait to see what he looks like. Blaster is too big, as is the upcoming Springer, so they're both going to my Classics/MP shelf.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:08 am 
5th Horseman

Sean Whitmore wrote:
HalJordanist wrote:

It takes a man to do a boy's job. :)

I agree about the WFC/FOC deluxes. There's really something to be said for actually having Megatron, Shockwave, Soundwave, and Starscream (and soon the two other Seekers) all in the same scale. And the real beauty of it is how they work posed with other toys. Thunderwing and Straxus, who would be criminally undersized in a Classics display, look perfect with these guys. Lugnut looks appropriately massive next to them. And Generations Bruticus, who's only a little bigger than a Masterpiece, towers over them all.

I don't use WFC Bumblebee, both because he's too big and because I just don't like the toy. There's a new Legends-class version coming out, I'll wait to see what he looks like. Blaster is too big, as is the upcoming Springer, so they're both going to my Classics/MP shelf.

I kinda dig the FOC versions of Jazz and Sideswipe, but again, they're just too big. And Sideswipe without Sunstreaker is like peas without carrots.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:51 am 

I picked up Eject and Ramhorn at Target today. They had a lot of Rewind and Sunders left but I'm still looking for Blaster and Grimlock.

"I knew we'd made a mistake the minute I saw that little bologna loaf in the hospital bassinet." - Calvin's Dad.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:03 pm 
Still ahead of Mudd

Fone Bone wrote:
I picked up Eject and Ramhorn at Target today. .

Did the same at Meijer today--

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:30 am 

I bought Rewind and Sunder at Target yesterday. I really like Sunder's colors. He's like a REALLY cheerful Lazerbeak.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:39 pm 
5" Scale

I picked up Ravage/Rumble and Frenzy/Laserbeak on clearance at Target for only $4.99 each.

Also got Beast Hunters Shockwave yesterday. I'm going to see in a minute if he displays well with FOC Soundwave and Blaster.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:37 am 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

You guys are talking about the little disk bot guys, right?

I just can't get into them.

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:57 am 
5th Horseman

Shellhead wrote:
You guys are talking about the little disk bot guys, right?

I just can't get into them.

Agreed. They just don't do anything for me, either. And I don't think it's the the way they look in their different modes, or the transformation. For me, I think, more than anything, it's the fact that they're discs.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:23 am 

Yeah, I'm clinging to my outdated cassette technology! :lol:

Although, I will grudgingly admit that Ratbat looks pretty good with curves.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:46 am 

I like 'em because they automatically transform when you press the button in the middle of the disc. That's really cool.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:51 am 
Displays Backwards

Fone Bone wrote:
I like 'em because they automatically transform when you press the button in the middle of the disc. That's really cool.

I admit, I am lazy with the transforming, and that's why I prefer the Cyberverse figures - the bigger guys can be tricky. I have a whole bunch of FOC figures I haven't transformed yet even though I opened them - but the one button transforming is a bit too simple for me.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:09 pm 
5th Horseman

BCYa wrote:
...the bigger guys can be tricky.

Burn in Hell, RTS Perceptor!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:08 am 

Or the Masterpiece Optimus! :shock:

I've only transformed him a couple times, and he's been in robot mode for nearly 5 years.

Same goes for some of the Alternators. I love the detail, but they can be a real pain to manipulate properly (always worried about breaking something).

Cue old man voice:

Back in my day, you didn't need complex instructions to change your Transformers. Four or five simple motions and you were done! And you LIKED it! Grumble, grumble. Now GET OFF MY LAWN!!!!

:lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 373 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next