Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:22 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 373 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 25  Next
 Post subject: Re: Going Back To Cybertron
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:51 am 
3 3/4"

Lt. Clutch wrote:
You're in Miami, right? I lived there for a few months in 1984 but collectible toy stores weren't around yet since Transformers had just made their domestic debut.

Do you shop for Takara stuff in your area or go the e-tailer route?

Miami is a wasteland for geeky pursuits and what does exist tends to mark-up stuff well beyond what you can find it for online. I usually pre-order the Japanese stuff I like but they also tend to be readily available on eBay or places like Big Bad Toy Store for decent prices. Still, I'm excited to be headed to Botcon this weekend just for the ability to find some Takara items I haven't had much luck with.

Lt. Clutch wrote:
I would get the Mirage knock-off if he looks close enough to the original but I know next to nothing about these except that they're not legit and can be pricier, correct?

I don't know much about knock-offs. There's a great thread on them at http://www.tfw2005.com that would be more helpful than me. But I did read that the Mirage knock-off was excellent. The quality of plastic was good and everything was tight. It tries to pass itself off as an original so it's more or less an exact reproduction. I don't know about prices but I think they were relatively cheap. I can't imagine prices on them are inflated since they are of such dubious origin. I don't really know what to think of them, though. For the collector, I guess it might be a decent way to get a toy that hasn't been reissued and is way too expensive to get an original of in minty shape. That is, as long as the seller is honest and not trying to pass it off as an original. You can usually tell the knock-offs from an original if you look closely at the box. There are mistakes in the text, formatting, and colors that wouldn't exist in an official product. Not always easy to tell at a distance though. It's illegal, obviously, but I can't fault a collector for buying some of them if everyone is up front about it.

It's cool to have some Transformers interest around these parts! I'm definitely a Star Wars guy #1 but Transformers have always been a very strong #2. Love the things and, as you can tell, I tend to be attracted to the Japanese versions. Most of my collection is Takara. I've thought about starting Japanese Transformer thread in Foreign objects but haven't gotten around to it yet. There have tended to be some cool differences between what we get and what Takara releases over the years.

Just happy to help!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:19 am 
Mint on Card

Not sure if this was posted or not but here is the news from the Transformers con of this past weekend.

More Generation figures are on the way (which is the new Universe/Classics line) they also had pics of the new Blurr figure which is Awesome.

As a kid my little brother collected Transformers and I collected GIJOE but these classic/Universe figures were hard to pass up. And for those that read the comics they are releasing a DRIFT figure in the next month or so.

SUMMARY

Legends Size Class
- G1 Optimus Prime
- G1 Starscream
- G1 Megatron
(a variation of the original gun, can be held by Masterpiece Starscream)
- G1 Prowl
- All will have rub symbols

Scout Size Class
- G1 Windcharger
(will have flip-out magnet weapons, can hold Generations Darkmount and Movie Recon Ironhide weapons)

Deluxe Class
- Skullgrin (Darkmount redeco, has a new ram-style head)
- Scourge (G1, stealth jet, white in color, head elevates in vehicle mode, gun is a mixture of his G1 head-gun and his Targetmaster gun, NOT A TARGETMASTER TOY!
- WFC Cliffjumper (repaint of WFC Bumblebee, Cliffjumper will have "devil horns")
- Thunderwing (G1, has detachable drone which does not transform)
- Tracks (has a car and flying-car mode)
- Jazz (has car speakers that pop out of his vehicle mode)
- Perceptor (slightly based on Animated design, will be redeco'd in to REFLECTOR, chest opens to 'scan things')

Other size toys
- Grapple (Universe 2.0 Inferno redeco/remold, will come with crane)
- Lugnut (new mold, WWII style bomber, looks amazing, very bulky)
- The Fallen repaint (shown in previous pictures, blue in color)

Powercore Combiners
- Heavytread with Groundspike
- Skyhammer with Airlift (Skyhammer resembles Misfire/Triggerhappy)
- Five pack of Constructicons (Steamhammer is main 'bot)
- Dinobot set (Grimstone, transforms in to "THE BEAST", lolz)

Original 13 Transformers
- Alpha Trion (can see past, present, and future, has pen and a book)
- Liege Maximo (ram-styled horns)
- Vector Prime (gold armor, has swords and an hourglass, overseer of time and space)
- Prima (first prime, all white, "Warrior of Light", sword has the Matrix as the hilt)
- Megatronus (black and red, "Warrior of Darkness", fusion cannon, Megatron-esq ... duh)
- "The Fallen" (figure out which one of the previous listings lights themselves on fire and changes their name)

Other Things
- Upcoming "Kup" toy, no details
- Open to third party properties becoming toys, ie: War For Cybertron, IDW Drift, etc., but cannot disclose any information
- Designers have a desire to do more humans and cassettes in toylines
- Aaron Archer wants to revisit Beast Wars again, especially after Dinobot's induction in to the Hall of Fame
- Hasbro won't reveal identity of Movie Ferarri car
- No plans for larger Powercore Combiners yet, offhand remark about WST combiners
- Stay tuned for details on more "female Transformers toys"
- Takara-Tomy most likely not making new toys for Animated
- "Blue Classics Bumblebee" is not a Hasbro product
- No Transformers: Prime toys as of yet, only a television show
- Desire to do a Wheeljack toy
- "Airachnid" ... stay tuned
- "If War For Cybertron toys sell well, we'll do more of them, Starscream on the short list of desired WFC toys to release"
- No plans for "Last Stand of the Wreckers" toys
- "Brave" toys from Japan ... Hasbro would have to acquire a license, so very unlikely, plus toys are very dated
- Haven't forgotten Trailbreaker

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:33 am 
Shifts It Into Overdrive

Thanks for the excellent report, Nitewing. Man, I hope they go back and revisit G1 characters like Wheeljack and Trailbreaker. 8) 8) Wheeljack is possibly my third favorite Autobot next to Optimus Prime and Bumblebee. I'm hoping to see a new version of Kup as well since he's grown on me in the fast few years, especially after they turned him into a tougher, Nick Fury-like warrior in the IDW comics.

I read the Spotlight comic featuring Drift last week and I'm stoked for a toy of him. So many older characters are getting much deserved respect: Jazz, Tracks, Windcharger, and Cliffjumper.

I'm gonna Google some pics right now. :D

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:49 pm 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

Nitewing, do you have a link to pictures of the Deluxe Class Jazz and Tracks? Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:34 am 
Mint on Card

No pics yet that i've seen for the Deluxe Jazz or Tracks those two are on the top of my list to add to my Classics/Universe display.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:20 am 
An Insider

Clutch, you're exactly where I was at the end of 2008. I was enjoying the IDW comics at the time with absolutely no thought towards collecting the toys, and then I came across Universe Prowl and Sunstreaker at the now-defunct Kay-Bee. The idea of fully articulated, cartoon-accurate G1 Transformers was something I'd wanted during my entire childhood, and seeing those Universe toys catapulted me right back into the thick of things.

Like others have said, Classics/Universe/Henkei is your best bet for the most part. There are some exceptions, however. A third-party company called Fans Project made the ultimate Springer, for example. (Universe Springer being just a non-triple-changing repaint of a toy from an earlier series), calling him Warbot Defender. Likewise, Classics Ultra Magnus is just a white repaint of Optimus Prime, which is all kinds of suck. Fans Project also made some add-on armor that makes Magnus look like he should, but it's a little too bulky for my taste. I prefer the Ultra Magnus put out by the Transformers Titanium line. I'd also skip Classics Grimlock in favor of the Masterpiece version, which is actually being released in America pretty soon. The Masterpieces are gigantic, true, but that actually works for Grimmy.

Takara has a Device Label line of Transformers that turn into devices that actually work in real life, and in some cases they feature the most accurate versions of the character. Soundwave, for example, turns into a real working MP3 player, and there is no better looking version of the character that I've seen. Ditto Ravage, who becomes a working flash drive. There's also an upcoming Blaster who becomes a USB hub (Universe Blaster is another repaint who looks nothing like the cartoon).

Universe Galvatron has gotten complaints for being too puny. I personally like using the Galvatron from the Transformers Energon series. Technically a different character, but painted as a clear homage to the G1 character.

Frequency wrote:
Nitewing, do you have a link to pictures of the Deluxe Class Jazz and Tracks? Thanks!

There won't be any official pics until SDCC, I imagine. Hasbro showed these off at Botcon last week, and it was an ultra-hush-hush sneak peek.

And Nitewing, you didn't mention Drift's eventual repaint into Blurr! :)

Last edited by Sean Whitmore on Sun Jul 04, 2010 4:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 4:16 am 
Shifts It Into Overdrive

Sean, we must have been on the same wave length because I was just thinking of Springer.

Back in 1986 I was upset that the newer, futuristic characters from the Movie had taken over the series so guys like Wheeljack and Prowl could be offed. But over the years, these guys slowly grew on me after both timelines were merged. I'm happy that Blurr is being revisited and that there are plans for Kup. I even like the new, upgraded, Wheelie! But Springer has been a favorite for some time and I've been wondering about how the Fans Project Springer had turned out. Glad to read that he's worth the chase now.

Grimmy makes perfect sense as a Masterpiece. In his T-Rex form, he ought to dwarf the normal-sized cars at least.

I just happened to spot the Device Label Blaster which turns into a Toshiba laptop at BBTS and he looks awesome. That's 2 Blasters on my list now. Definitely will check this line out now along with Energon.

Thanks for all the great info. 8)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:18 am 
3 3/4"

Dude, all you had to do was ask! :wink:

Here's FansProject "Springer" with decals from Reprolabels:

I like him a lot and the quality is good. Don't expect Hasbro-level plastic but still good. He's actually a mix of die-cast metal and plastic.

And here's Classics Ultra Magnus with the armor from FansProject. I also put the respective decals from Reprolabels on this to complete the G1 homage:

I love this one. Excellent quality and it's very near perfect.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:30 am 
serves the Otter

What happend to the Universe Legends Class Wheelie and Cosmos? Were they ever released? If so, will they ever be rereleased?

When truth is only a matter of opinion, advantage goes to the liars.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:14 pm 
An Insider

Fone Bone wrote:
What happend to the Universe Legends Class Wheelie and Cosmos? Were they ever released? If so, will they ever be rereleased?

Oh, those came and went long ago. A rerelease is always possible, but nothing has ever been mentioned.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:22 pm 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

What will it take to get a G1 upgrade of the Blitzkreig (sp) triple changler? They made Astrotrain and he was no where near as cool as a guy who turns into a jet fighter AND a tank!

To me, this is a no brainer! :roll:

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:46 pm 
Shifts It Into Overdrive

@Uncle: Those guys look sweet! Springer is perfect and Magnus looks vastly superior to the original. Thanks, man!

@Sean: Are Universe Legends class the ones which basically upgraded the old minibots? I better start looking for them online if they're gone from retail by now. I just read a few reviews on these but they didn't have a release date, so I also assumed they were current.

@Shelly: I wish we had all of the Triple Changers re-released or updated. Not to mention poor old Sixshot.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:32 pm 
An Insider

Lt. Clutch wrote:
@Sean: Are Universe Legends class the ones which basically upgraded the old minibots? I better start looking for them online if they're gone from retail by now. I just read a few reviews on these but they didn't have a release date, so I also assumed they were current.

Not exclusively. Legends is just a class of uniformly small-scale figures with simple transformations, but the characters can range from minibots like Bumblebee to the larger scale guys like Prime. The ones that are most sought after are the ones that never had a larger-scale figure in Classics/Universe, such as Brawn, Cosmos, Beachcomber, and Warpath.

And Wheelie, who is actually to perfect scale at Legends size:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:47 am 
Unbreakable

I love the Legends Class. I'm glad they are keeping them around for the Genrations run. I definately recommend finding a Cosmos. He's all sort of cool.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:18 am 
Shifts It Into Overdrive

Love that pic! Wheelie and Grimmy make a nice duo. 8)

I'm gonna go look for Cosmos and the others before the prices increase on these guys.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 373 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 25  Next