Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:06 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Idea for Trek Figures
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:44 pm 
You hear that? We're using CODE names...

Previously (I mean way previously...a la 1990's), Hasbro released Street Fighter figures under the GI Joe label. With Hasbro controlling the Star Trek license, I thought perhaps Kirk and Spock could tussle with Cobra and Destro?

That doesn't tickle your fancy? How about some Marvel cross-over? I believe it was DC that held the Trek comic license in the 80's, but non the less, it would still be neat to have a Kirk/Cap America, Spock/Namor 2-pack!

Bottom line: I want 3.75 Trek from the 3.75 masters!

Post subject: Re: Idea for Trek Figures
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:00 am 
PVC

Jake wrote:
Previously (I mean way previously...a la 1990's), Hasbro released Street Fighter figures under the GI Joe label. With Hasbro controlling the Star Trek license, I thought perhaps Kirk and Spock could tussle with Cobra and Destro?

That doesn't tickle your fancy? How about some Marvel cross-over? I believe it was DC that held the Trek comic license in the 80's, but non the less, it would still be neat to have a Kirk/Cap America, Spock/Namor 2-pack!

Bottom line: I want 3.75 Trek from the 3.75 masters!

Unfortunately, with the last Trek line dying in 3 different scales Hasbro is gonna be thinking long and hard before they do a Trek line of their own.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:33 pm 
Loose, Missing Package

I seem to remember reading that Playmates still has the figure rights for mass market, Hasbro just has the block and game license.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:58 am 

Thresher wrote:
Unfortunately, with the last Trek line dying in 3 different scales Hasbro is gonna be thinking long and hard before they do a Trek line of their own.

True, sadly. I think Trek is a niche license, TBH, but sales were severely hurt by the craptastic nature of those 2009 figures. They were the worst. Kre-o was okay, but never really took off as a brand. GI Joe seems to be their best seller, and even those hit clearance regularly. It's tough when you take on the mighty Lego brand.

Honestly, they could easily Frankenstein these and still churn out a great product. Check out this Kirk/Spock custom to see what I mean. Low investment, and if released as 'pack-ins' with other Joes (which, I know, are currently on hiatus), possible good return. Unless...

Jim_Abell wrote:
I seem to remember reading that Playmates still has the figure rights for mass market, Hasbro just has the block and game license.

...this is true. In that case, huge bummer!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:03 pm 
"You can set your clock to his haircut"

Funko is supposed to have the old movie license to do ReAction figures for Star Trek, but they have been silent about them since they announced it.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:10 pm 

spect_spidey wrote:
Funko is supposed to have the old movie license to do ReAction figures for Star Trek, but they have been silent about them since they announced it.

Tis true! This was posted about a week ago.

popvinyls.com wrote:
ReAction Figures: Star Trek Classics in 2 waves, Star Trek: The Next Generation, Jaws, Terminator 2, Boondock Saints, Breaking Bad, Gremlins and Dark Crystal.–2015

That will be neat, and I'm all in, but I'm looking for something more modern.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 8:32 pm 
Far Too Concerned with his Post Count

I saw a post today on another forum that Funko has listed their properties for 2015, and they are doing Classic Trek and TNG. You might want to start haunting the Funko threads for more news.

CCC.

Museum Super Collector.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:07 am 
PVC

Jim_Abell wrote:

Really? I could've sworn I heard they had the figure rights to. Still, I always wondered why Hasbro didn't even try for a line with the sequel, I guess that would explain it.

In any case, that would make it even less likely we get new Trek figures. Being the smallest of the "Big 3" I just don't see Playmates having the change to throw around on a line that's already tanked once.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:48 am 
Loose, Missing Package

Playmates was wildly successful with the Trek lines in the 90s and I'm sure that had a whole lot to do with them getting the movie license this time around. Maybe the license has expired now that Funko/Super7 are doing the retro figures (or that could just be another case of micro-slicing the license apart into very narrow catergories).

As for Playmates being "number 3" I'm guessing you're not counting Lego who is currently number 1. :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:07 am 

LordMudd wrote:
I saw a post today on another forum that Funko has listed their properties for 2015, and they are doing Classic Trek and TNG. You might want to start haunting the Funko threads for more news.

CCC.

I see you haunt trektoy :P. Speaking of, do you need an invite to register there?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:25 pm 
Far Too Concerned with his Post Count

Jake wrote:
LordMudd wrote:

CCC.

I see you haunt trektoy :P. Speaking of, do you need an invite to register there?

No, just be patient, it is the holiday season.

CCC.

Museum Super Collector.