Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:51 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Should I leave my die-cast Rey/BB-8 figure in the box?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:40 am 
HEY! New guy! GET HIM!

I have purchased two of these:
http://www.disneystore.com/action-figur ... 4/1000255/

I want to display one at home and one in my office, but I'm wondering with all that's going on with these figures, if I should keep them in the box? You can't find these in any store and with them about to mass produce Rey action figures because of the backlash of there not being enough, will this one eventually be worth something? I'm not a hardcore collector, so I don't know how any of this works, I'm just wondering if anyone can shine some light on it. Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Should I leave my die-cast Rey/BB-8 figure in the box?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:26 am 
Santos L. Halper

If Disney is going to make more Rey toys, the two that you bought would be worth less, not more, but you can always check eBay to see what other people are willing to pay.

My advice is to do what makes you happy. If you like to display toys, you should continue.

Over all, toys don't make a good investment. A better strategy would be a diversified portfolio of stocks and bonds.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:20 am 
HEY! New guy! GET HIM!

GregNYC wrote:
If Disney is going to make more Rey toys, the two that you bought would be worth less, not more

That makes sense, but what if the ones I bought are phased out quickly and replaced with newer models? The ones they're coming out with are new models, but I'm not sure if they're going to phase this one out. If they did that, wouldn't that make it more valuable? Sorry if I don't understand, I don't know everything about this.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:50 pm 
5" Scale

A big part of collecting is recognizing that if you could predict the future of the market enough to really make out by buying toys that rapidly increase in value, we'd ALL be doing it.

There's basically only two ways to make any money from toys:

1) Scalp hot toys on eBay. This will make some board members very, very angry, but you'll have turned a $15 purchase into a $30 eBay sell... minus PayPal fees... minus eBay fees... and then you undercharged for shipping... But hey, you came out of it six dollars ahead for an hour of work!

2) Buy the right one and sell it five years later when everyone wants it. Of course, not all the toys you buy will appreciate unless you're VERY lucky. I have plenty of twenty-year-old MOC toys that I was assured would be worth lots one day. Would you like a red card ugly Leia? I have one that I'll let go for the price I paid for her: $5!

Why do toys appreciate? Supply and demand. Which toys will be in short supply and in big demand in the future? No one knows.

Should you leave your figure in the box? If that makes you happy--as a bonus, you might get to sell it when it has become clutter instead of treasure. If it doesn't make you happy to leave it in the box, the worth of opening the toy--playing with it and posing it--is worth more than the average profit you'll make from it in five years or ten years.

PS: BTW, I also collect comics. My collection is worth $20K in the price-guides. If I could sell the whole thing for 10% of that, I probably would. Consider that. :-) At least I read the comics. Most of them.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:40 am 
Santos L. Halper

Well put, Eric! Your summation of selling on eBay is hilarious and true! It's so not worth the effort.

The only thing I can add to that is that nostalgia kicks in after a couple of decades and adults who have well-paying jobs start fondly remembering the toys of their youth. Nostalgia can make people spend crazy money on toys, but you have to buy the right toy and then hold on to it for 20 years.

In the case of the Rey figure, you can always stick it in a closet for a few months and check eBay and message boards to see if demand rises. You really have to keep your finger on the pulse of the collectors' market, which takes a lot of effort.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:08 pm 
Loose, Missing Package

Whew! You guys really summed up the eBay selling experience well, there! I sold off all of my Monster High SDCC dolls and a couple of duplicate 4H birds I had over the summer and between PayPal fees, eBay fees and the wait to get the payments released (took over a month for one of them) I always seemed to get just enough to cover whatever bill was due at that second and maybe enough to cover overdraft fees when the payment didn't release in time...