Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:00 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Marvel Legends Missing Build-A-Figures, A-Z
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 10:32 pm 
Joint Unfreezer

Marvel Legends Missing Build-A-Figures, A-Z

Yes I know some people (including apparently Hasbro) consider Marvel Legends a dead line. And one reason I've heard given is that without the Build-A-Figure concept the line couldn't continue ... and there weren't many characters left to "build".

If that's the case, Hasbro ... you're wrong. To prove it, I will once a day (hopefully) be posting a different character in alphabetical order that I believe should be a Build-A-Figure.

ARAGORN

[center]Image[/center]

Steed to the Avengers' Black Knight and later to the Defenders' Valkyrie, Aragorn is a horse who has been genetically modified with large feather wings and other adaptations to make him a suitable flying mount.

Flying horses are just plain cool. And several characters use them. Not only would Aragorn be cool on his own ... you could have a whole stable if he were the basis of the Build-A-Horse Wave I postulated last year, which as a special bonus I'll re-present here in modified form:

AIM - generic white horse front half

Doombot - generic white horse rear half

Phantom Rider - Banshee glow-in-the-dark bridle and saddle

Danielle Moonstar - Brightwind wings, bridle (with mohawk attachment) and saddle

Classic Black Knight - Aragorn wings, bridle and saddle (plus Strider add-ons)

(Valkyrie isn't listed because she was supposed to come out in a wave last year and she'd be fine in another wave as long as we get her horse!)

Buy the two army builders and your choice of the others for one complete horse. Buy all five and you can customise as necessary. Buy all 5 plus two extra of each army builder and you've got 3 complete horses!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:30 am 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

Just do what my friend did and mod one. He looks great with Black Knight on top.

I'm sorry to see ML go, but you know it's not coming back. Especially with MU being a pretty good hit with the kiddies.

Trade Rating +55 and counting

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:38 pm 
Joint Unfreezer

Eh, there's no "just" doing anything. Sure I could slap some Angel wings on a LOTR horse but that's not the point -- the point is it's hogwash that there aren't any BAFs left to do!

Box

[center]Image[/center]

Box I was Roger Bochs, a genius -- and occasionally mentally disturbed -- paraplegic inventor who developed a robot he could mentally control, and later "phase" into.

Box II was Madison Jeffries, a mutant with the ability to transmute and control metal, glass and plastic who helped Bochs develop the "phasing" version of the Box robot, and took it over after Bochs went insane and was killed in battle with Alpha Flight.

Either version of Box would make a great BAF. Or ... think outside the box and make a wave that has one version for general retail, and the other version in an all-variant wave strictly for comic shops. Some unmade characters that would be great in this wave would be Aurora, Northstar, Snowbird, Shaman, Marrina, Puck, Vindicator ...

Last edited by JQ3x29yz4a on Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:35 pm 
Joint Unfreezer

Crimson Dynamo

[center]Image[/center]

There have been many Crimson Dynamos in the service of Russia and the Soviet Union, but the fourth is probably considered the "classic". What a great looking BAF this would be!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:08 am 
AFA Graded

Box is a good one. His 2nd look. Not enough Alpha Flight guys have been made in ML yet. I'm sure Snowbird, Vindicator and Puck would be next if they do make them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:48 am 
5th Horseman

I like the idea of this thread. There are tons of great characters left to make (and re-make). I also look forward to seeing some stuff from the past 15 years. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:08 pm 
Joint Unfreezer

Oh I'll have stuff on the more recent side ... but the bulk of what I'm coming up with is more "Classic". It's not that I don't like newer things -- it's that I don't see many impressive designs these days. And yet, some characters stay basically the same for decades because they just have a good look -- there's a reason they're "Classic"! For example, this guy has had a few costume changes, but for the most part the design is the same:

Dormammu

[center]Image[/center]

Exiled Faltinian ruler of the Dark Dimension, and Doctor Strange's #1 enemy. A major Marvel villain for almost 50 years, and they never saw fit to include him in Marvel Legends?

The translucent flaming head surrounded and halo of smoke alone would make this an awesome BAF!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:21 pm 
Daniel Pickett

I'm loving this list!
I'd LOVE a Box! And I'd take a Crimson Dynamo as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:05 am 
proverbial old fart

How about a comic accurate Goliath and Black Goliath?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:50 pm 
Joint Unfreezer

Glenn2000 wrote:
How about a comic accurate Goliath and Black Goliath?

I have something special planned for them ;)

Eternity

[center]Image[/center]

This one was tough. "E" characters it seems are either normal sized or really big ... so I decided on the biggest of all!

Eternity could, of course, never be made in scale ... but then again as a cosmic being his size is "variable" so he could be perceived at any size. He is the physical embodiment of time, and the collective consciousness of all living things ... and he'd look really cool keeping your Marvel Legends Galactus company.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:59 pm 
Knows his stuff

Nitewing73 wrote:
Box is a good one. His 2nd look. Not enough Alpha Flight guys have been made in ML yet. I'm sure Snowbird, Vindicator and Puck would be next if they do make them.

Here's hoping your right. With Alpha Flight being my #1 comic way back when, I'd surely connect them all. (I do have the ones that are already made)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:25 pm 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

My buddy made a custom Eternity. It is awesome! I'm willing to bet he's done many of the one's your thinking of. Here are some of the ones I'd come up with:

F= Firepower (awesome Iron Man baddy)
I= In-betweener
N= Nimrod
0 = Orca
T = Tri-Sentinal
U = Ultimo

My friend has done all of these except Ultimo.

Man I miss Marvel Legends. :cry:

Trade Rating +55 and counting

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 2:23 pm 
proverbial old fart

What about the Super Adaptoid? That would be a cool BAF! And the Mad Thinker's Android that works at She Hulk's law firm.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 6:40 pm 
Joint Unfreezer

Shellhead wrote:
F= Firepower (awesome Iron Man baddy)
I= In-betweener
N= Nimrod
0 = Orca
T = Tri-Sentinal
U = Ultimo

Only two made my final list -- and never even considered Firepower -- but they all should have! Great choices!

Glenn2000 wrote:
What about the Super Adaptoid? That would be a cool BAF! And the Mad Thinker's Android that works at She Hulk's law firm.

Both made my list -- and I'm sure we aren't the only two who want those. Hasbro, you have unfinished business to attend to!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 7:12 pm 
Joint Unfreezer

Something different for F. I actually have three characters on my list (and one of those is actually two characters, which could be interesting) but they're all B/C listers and I wanted something with some impact. My friend Psymount made this suggestion and I think it would be awesome -- something Marvel Legends didn't explore to it's full extent: a Build-A-Vehicle ...

Fantasticar

[center]Image[/center]

The original "Flying Bathtub" model. The first Mister Fantastic figure came with a small version of the front end as a display piece, but this would be a full sized model that could actually connect and separate as needed, and seat the First Appearance Thing in the rear car.

Now, you're saying a Build-A-Fantasticar wave wouldn't make sense because all the FF have already been made? Not true. Here's four unmade members of each the Fantastic Four and the Frightful Four that could make up this wave:

Human Torch (red costume), Crystal, Medusa, Human Torch III (with Nova variant), Wizard, Sandman (Kirby costume), Trapster, Thundra.