Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:47 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1231 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55 ... 83  Next
 Post subject: Re: G.I. Joe: Pursuit of Cobra / 30th line
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:57 am 
Still ahead of Mudd

So Now my question is-- will this set even be available anywhere other than on ebay (if we cant make the convention)?

SInce it used to be that you could pretty much get the show exclusives (and the fan club exclusives) after the cons were done of the Joe website---

Except as they have been getting better lately (and actually doing undone characters instead of pure repaints)-- there are fewer available---- Are they just making less of these for the shows now, or just the "investors" hitting them harder- or are more people just interested in them now..

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:05 am 
The Last Word

stewbacca wrote:
So Now my question is-- will this set even be available anywhere other than on ebay (if we cant make the convention)?
You don't have to go to the convention to order the set. You can order one as a non-attendee when registration opens.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:39 am 
Fugitive Dust

I have some questions that I would love some help with.

I am trying to get all the 25th figures going forward but I don't army build and I don't really care about variants.

I have been looking at the Ripper & Torch 2 pack. I see they are both in singe packs as well.

I have looked at YOJoe.com and compared them and they are the same except for the colors of their clothes.

What I can't figure out is the yellow shirt for Ripper and the brown jacket for Torch the colors of the cartoon? Where did those color choices come from?

Thanks for all your guys help.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:42 am 
Fugitive Dust

also I have been reading your guys posts about the convention stuff and I would love to get those for myself but the price is above my limit. Someone said that you could order it instead of not having to be there. How would someone go about doing that? I might be able to convince my wife to get it for me and put it away for Christmas. Thanks for the help for a n00b to GI Joe.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:53 am 
shirtless hugger

Caped Crusader wrote:
Learn to be funny. The constant price whining and jealousy toward collectors with deeper pockets doesn't qualify.

Jealously? I could pay $300 towards these figures if I wanted to, but I'd feel ripped off. They aren't worth $300 plus to me. I don't even think they look that great so far. I'd buy them if they were in stores, but some of us just don't think GI Joe figures are worth that much.

And your smug arrogance is not becoming.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:12 am 
Disney is not his cup of tea

I don't think whining over 300 dollars for brand new figures is uncalled for. It's a legitimate gripe, I wouldn't be surprised if people who pay that don't whine as well. Heck, with what I spend a week on toys I consider myself to have deep pockets and I bitched when Batman legacy jumped up to 20 bucks a pop! I still spend the money which even affords me more of a right to gripe! :lol: If I collected GI Joe I would be all over these regardless of price that's for sure. But I'd whine about it all the same and take heat from the wife.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:31 am 
willing to display nerd-rage meltdown for custom subnic

VS, you spend a LOT of money on toys. And, yes I'm jealous. :lol:

I don't fail, I just succeed at finding ways that don't work.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:46 am 
The Last Word

Logan wrote:
What I can't figure out is the yellow shirt for Ripper and the brown jacket for Torch the colors of the cartoon? Where did those color choices come from?
Yep. The comic pack figures are the most accurate to the original toys.

Logan wrote:
also I have been reading your guys posts about the convention stuff and I would love to get those for myself but the price is above my limit. Someone said that you could order it instead of not having to be there. How would someone go about doing that? I might be able to convince my wife to get it for me and put it away for Christmas. Thanks for the help for a n00b to GI Joe.
You can order from the Club's site as a non-attendee when convention registration opens. The option will be there along with registering to attend. If you're on Facebook, follow their page to get the latest updates.

BCYa wrote:
Jealously? I could pay $300 towards these figures if I wanted to, but I'd feel ripped off. They aren't worth $300 plus to me. I don't even think they look that great so far. I'd buy them if they were in stores...
Then you're not part of the Club's target demographic. They cater to a different segment of collectors, people who want and are willing to buy more than $6.97 figures from Walmart.

BCYa wrote:
And your smug arrogance is not becoming.
:lol:

Van Statten wrote:
I don't think whining over 300 dollars for brand new figures is uncalled for.
Whining about toys in general is uncalled for, but these aren't Hasbro toys produced in the tens of thousands. They're limited edition items from the Club for collectors who want that sort of thing. Same goes for the Figure Subscription Service. The Club stuff isn't for everyone, just like Sideshow and Hot Toys aren't for everyone.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:13 pm 
Still ahead of Mudd

Caped Crusader wrote:
BCYa wrote:
Jealously? I could pay $300 towards these figures if I wanted to, but I'd feel ripped off. They aren't worth $300 plus to me. I don't even think they look that great so far. I'd buy them if they were in stores...
Then you're not part of the Club's target demographic. They cater to a different segment of collectors, people who want and are willing to buy more than $6.97 figures from Walmart.

THus my question about Footloose-- is this the regular quality of the Club figures or did I just get a bum one-- because if thats the norm-- they arent up to the quality of the normal mass produced 6.97 figures at Walmart and -and for the price increase I would still expect them to be manufactured to the same quality.- Im surprised that the hard core collectors aren't complaining - since these are the same collectors that complain about the guns that are included with the figures and small changes to the file cards..

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:20 pm 
The Last Word

stewbacca wrote:
THus my question about Footloose-- is this the regular quality of the Club figures or did I just get a bum one-- because if thats the norm-- they arent up to the quality of the normal mass produced 6.97 figures at Walmart and -and for the price increase I would still expect them to be manufactured to the same quality.
Not the norm, at least from my experience. My Footloose hasn't arrived yet, but I know a couple of others have mentioned the same thing. They corrected the issue by putting a little super glue in the hip joints to tighten things up a bit. Should be an easy fix.

stewbacca wrote:
Im surprised that the hard core collectors aren't complaining - since these are the same collectors that complain about the guns that are included with the figures and small changes to the file cards..
I would say the complainers complain about those things. Many buy better guns from Marauder and don't care too much what's in modern filecards. :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:28 pm 
shirtless hugger

Caped Crusader wrote:
Whining about toys in general is uncalled for, but these aren't Hasbro toys produced in the tens of thousands. They're limited edition items from the Club for collectors who want that sort of thing. Same goes for the Figure Subscription Service. The Club stuff isn't for everyone, just like Sideshow and Hot Toys aren't for everyone.

"Uncalled for" you say! Who in this thread has been whining? I haven't seen anybody. You're attacking something that's not happening.

And it's not the same as Sideshow and Hot Toys. If they sold those in stores, they would still be crazy expensive. If Hasbro sold these figs in stores, they would be at retail price (which keeps going up but isn't crazy - yet). I bought the LOSH 12-pack which was $180, but it worked out to $15 a figure. These guys will be 20-25 each for littler figures.

And like stewbacca said, they aren't even Hasbro quality, they're slightly below it. I don't wanna pay crazy prices for that. The problem I have is if the club makes these figures, either for the con or their subscription service (which is MIA), then Hasbro isn't going to make them and sell them in stores, and you're stuck either paying a ton or passing on them altogether.

Like there was going to be a Python Tele-Viper/Trooper 2-pack for ROC that got cancelled. But the club made a set with them, so now the prices for them are way way higher than the 2-pack would have been. I would have bought that 2-pack in a second, but I don't want to pay $80 or whatever on Ebay for a 2-pack that would have been like $15. I guess I have no interest in paying for exclusivity/rarity.

And I love the OG, so it just bums me out a little.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:49 pm 
The Last Word

BCYa wrote:
"Uncalled for" you say! Who in this thread has been whining? I haven't seen anybody. You're attacking something that's not happening.
You're clearly missing some context.

BCYa wrote:
And it's not the same as Sideshow and Hot Toys. If they sold those in stores, they would still be crazy expensive. If Hasbro sold these figs in stores, they would be at retail price (which keeps going up but isn't crazy - yet). I bought the LOSH 12-pack which was $180, but it worked out to $15 a figure. These guys will be 20-25 each for littler figures.
1) Of course it's the same, because Hasbro would not be producing Oktober Guard figures in the first place. They've moved beyond the 25th Anniversary approach. And no, if Walmart ordered Hot Toys and Sideshow figures in the tens of thousands, they'd be a lot less expensive. Volume = less cost in manufacturing. 2) I don't judge a toy's value based on volume of plastic, and I don't understand why anyone would do so. These will produced in lower quantities than the Mattel figures you referenced, so the price is higher.

BCYa wrote:
And like stewbacca said, they aren't even Hasbro quality, they're slightly below it.
He mentioned loose joints on one figure; he wasn't commenting on the overall quality of the Club's figures. No one has a set of these to make a quality judgment.

BCYa wrote:
The problem I have is if the club makes these figures, either for the con or their subscription service (which is MIA), then Hasbro isn't going to make them and sell them in stores, and you're stuck either paying a ton or passing on them altogether.
You have that backwards. The Club is producing the Oktober Guard because Hasbro was never going to do so. If there was any chance of that happening, Hasbro would have shot down the idea when the Club proposed it.

BCYa wrote:
Like there was going to be a Python Tele-Viper/Trooper 2-pack for ROC that got cancelled.

Not quite. The Python Patrol Tele-Viper was going to be part of a 25th/ME set with a battle station. That was canceled in favor of the Tele-Viper that made it into a battle station released in The Rise of Cobra line.

BCYa wrote:
But the club made a set with them, so now the prices for them are way way higher than the 2-pack would have been. I would have bought that 2-pack in a second, but I don't want to pay $80 or whatever on Ebay for a 2-pack that would have been like $15. I guess I have no interest in paying for exclusivity/rarity.
It's not a matter of paying for exclusivity or rarity, but of paying for items that Hasbro will not produce, toys that will never be released any other way. Once Hasbro abandoned the idea of a Python Patrol Tele-Viper, the Club was the only option for getting any of them into collectors' hands. That's worth a premium to some collectors, and certain people who don't feel it's worth a premium clearly have issues with that. Perhaps that will help with the context.

BCYa wrote:
And I love the OG, so it just bums me out a little.
You said you can afford the set, so it's just a matter of how much you want to have them in your collection. If you have any doubts, I'd recommend buying a set. If you change your mind later, you can get your money back out of them. If you pass and regret that decision, it would cost a lot more to acquire them on the secondary market.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:25 pm 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

To me, insanity is in the eye of the beholder.

I think you Joe guys are insane to pay that much. But I'm not as big a Joe collector as some of you.

Some of you would probably think my Iron Man purchases are insane, but I'm a huge Iron Man fan.

And most non-collectors would think most of us are insane to spend the amount of money we do on little plastic action figures.

It's a matter of perspective.

And for the record, I could easily afford them, I just don't think they're worth that much.

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:46 pm 
3 3/4"

BCYa wrote:
Caped Crusader wrote:

And like stewbacca said, they aren't even Hasbro quality, they're slightly below it. I don't wanna pay crazy prices for that. The problem I have is if the club makes these figures, either for the con or their subscription service (which is MIA), then Hasbro isn't going to make them and sell them in stores, and you're stuck either paying a ton or passing on them altogether.

Dude, he's a club appologist, in other words the club could put out a turd with a GI Joe Logo and guys like this would stand up an clap. There is no reasoning with them and anything you say that is "Pro Club" (Reguardless of the club's past screw ups, mistakes, lowered quality, or down right horrid customer service) is labeled "whining." It's what they do, troll around the interwebs and say "Oh club is great" with whatever new "catch phrase arguement" that has been handed to them (IE "Oh hacking happens to everyone." with the CC issue, even though people were complaining MORE about the way the club handled the issue than the hack itself. clearly not even reading the comments previously mentioned).

It's that same old pattern, I have no idea why they do it since it makes no sense at all.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:01 pm 
Disney is not his cup of tea

Great post, zedhatch! But everything needs loyalist who will fight for the company till the bitter end... sad but true.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1231 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55 ... 83  Next