Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Sun May 03, 2015 4:00 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Age of Ultron toys
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:02 am 
Loose, Missing Package

Yahoo! Movies got a first look at some of the upcoming toys... potential spoilers and stuff that might not be in the movie, too

https://www.yahoo.com/movies/avengers-a ... 03672.html

Post subject: Re: Age of Ultron toys
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:21 pm 
Far Too Concerned with his Post Count

So those are all supposed to be Titan scale,12"? Any word on other scales yet?

CCC.

Museum Super Collector.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:54 pm 
Loose, Missing Package

Sounded like it was 12" Titans, Mashers, 6" Legends and 2 1/5" packs plus the 5 POA figures that have shown up in a few places.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:29 am 
picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue

I know the industry has changed over the last few years and materials are more expensive but it makes me sad how Guardians of the Galaxy and Avengers AoU don't have articulated 3-3/4 figures which included comic and movie series figs.

Successful transactions with: Funtime3, Vancleef9000, Clark Kent, ivelostr2, Tuning4k, and Shellhead. Special Thanks to Stewbacca and Jim Abell. Thanks guys.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:14 pm 

Nitewing73 wrote:
I know the industry has changed over the last few years and materials are more expensive but it makes me sad how Guardians of the Galaxy and Avengers AoU don't have articulated 3-3/4 figures which included comic and movie series figs.

Agreed. With material cost going up you would thing size/scale would go down, not up. Maybe another reason the big toy makers need better leadership.

CCC.

Museum Super Collector.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:57 am 
Collector Inspector

The scale did go down. Guardians of the Galaxy had a 2.5" scale line, and Age of Ultron will, too.

The strategy for the Guardians of the Galaxy was to focus more on the spaceships, which tend to take up a lot of shelf space at retail. Smaller figures mean smaller vehicles.

The smaller scale was popular enough for Hasbro to use the same scale for Age of Ultron. But this time, Hasbro will introduce more play sets instead of vehicles.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:16 am 

So now Has-been is playing 3 little bears? The first one was tooooo big! The second one is tooooo small! Do we have to wait for another turnover in leadership for them to get it just right?

CCC.

Museum Super Collector.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:14 am 
Collector Inspector

I'm not sure what you mean by "another turnover in leadership." Brian Goldner has been CEO since 2008 and was just named chairman of the board. Hasbro appears to be happy with his leadership.

Anyway, it seems that kids like the smaller toys, parents like the lower price and retailers like the extra shelf space.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:16 am 
willing to display nerd-rage meltdown for custom subnic

GregNYC wrote:
I'm not sure what you mean by "another turnover in leadership." Brian Goldner has been CEO since 2008 and was just named chairman of the board. Hasbro appears to be happy with his leadership.

Anyway, it seems that kids like the smaller toys, parents like the lower price and retailers like the extra shelf space.

Sounds like a win for everyone but the 3.75 collectors. Which in the grand scheme of things is a drop in the bucket.

I don't fail, I just succeed at finding ways that don't work.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 4:01 pm 

3.75 is the perfect scale. As size goes up, cost goes up, putting some things like playsets out of reach. Going down means more playsets, but you lose detail and articulation. 2 statements of fact come to mind:
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Don't try to reinvent the wheel.

CCC.

Museum Super Collector.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 4:23 pm 
Still ahead of Mudd

The problem is Funko took your advice-- not touching the wheel since 1970, and you see how mediocre all those figures look..

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:29 am 
Collector Inspector

I prefer the 3.75" scale as well, although the 2.5" figures remind me a little of the green Army men I played with as a kid.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:36 am 

stewbacca wrote:
The problem is Funko took your advice-- not touching the wheel since 1970, and you see how mediocre all those figures look..

They are also just starting out. I have a feeling, given the chance, they will get better. Hasbro on the other hand has been around for decades and should already be doing better. They are well established at this scale, so have no excuse.

CCC.

Museum Super Collector.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:37 am 
Disney is not his cup of tea

as a kid I loved 3.75" and I preferred it most of my collecting life growing up. However Toy Biz ruined that with the 5" figures and then suddenly 6" scale... and then came DC Universe Classics and now Star Wars Black Series... and well... I tried going back with Marvel Universe 3.4" but it was too late for just can't get into that size any more.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:35 pm 
Resin

Stopped by Target today. They were loaded with toys for AVENGERS: AGE OF ULTRON (interestingly enough, the first Avengers movie was on TV last night).

I was -- not the least bit impressed with what I saw. The 2" figures are pointless. They did have some 4" figures -- Thor, Cap, Iron Man, Hulk -- with the same five-point level of articulation that Hasbro has been subjecting most of their 4" figures to. No surprise, I suppose. The sculpting was good, the paint was -- adequate -- but nothing here I need to buy.

They had some larger-scale talking figures again with poor articulation. And the talk clearly indicates that over the course of the movie, the heroes are once again going to beat the hell out of each other (or at least the Hulk) before getting their act together and taking on the bad guy. That's the one real reservation I have about the movie. Come on, guys, get it together already, willya?

As for the toys -- no interest at all. The limited amount of wardrobe changes -- new armor for Iron Man, a bit more red on Cap's costume, Hulk has pants that have that sort of "paneled" look that we see on Cap, with a little Avengers "A" on them -- are not enough reason for me to buy what I regard as inferior product.

I look at those Marvel Legends-scale Avengers figures that Walmart did for the last Avengers movie. Great sculpts, good paint, excellent articulation -- and thanks to the Marvel Legends figures from the last Cap movie, I was even able to finally add the Black Widow to the group.

I think that's enough Avengers for my action figure collection. I know there's a few new characters in this upcoming movie, but unless Hasbro does some seriously impressive Marvel Legends figures of those -- while I'm fairly sure I'll see the movie, Hasbro can keep these toys.

It's a shame, really. From the 2012 Avengers movie to the 2015 Avengers movie, to go from the cool figures we got then, to the junk they're putting out now. Just a shame.