Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:41 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Hasbro's plan?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:09 pm 
Displays Backwards

If it wasn't for the Hasbro pallet that TRU put out, I would have a pretty crummy collection of recent MU. I'm still missing Archangel and Ghost Rider, but I did find a bunch of figs, including Mystique, on that little cube of goodness.

Other than the odd figure here or there are Target or K-Mart, finding anything new kinda sucks badly. No Thanos wave here yet, but I would rather find the older figures I'm missing first. A lot of the two-per case figures are so easy to find while the 1-per case figs are almost always missing. Hopefully Hasbro can get some of those guys back in circulation. They seem to usually be pretty good about it (though four of the figs from the Jean Grey wave really need to get back in stores sometime soon).

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:32 pm 
Cold-cast

BCYa wrote:
If it wasn't for the Hasbro pallet that TRU put out, I would have a pretty crummy collection of recent MU. I'm still missing Archangel and Ghost Rider, but I did find a bunch of figs, including Mystique, on that little cube of goodness.

Other than the odd figure here or there are Target or K-Mart, finding anything new kinda sucks badly. No Thanos wave here yet, but I would rather find the older figures I'm missing first. A lot of the two-per case figures are so easy to find while the 1-per case figs are almost always missing. Hopefully Hasbro can get some of those guys back in circulation. They seem to usually be pretty good about it (though four of the figs from the Jean Grey wave really need to get back in stores sometime soon).

Since I have three of those four figures I'd prefer them to never be made again. Vision and Sunfire are the two most valuable action figures I own. I know I could sell both of them on Ebay for at least $60, but I won't. They're my favorites. May they stay rare forever!

I have two Ghost Riders still in their packages. If you have a (non variant) Havok I may be willing to trade one.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:48 pm 
Daniel Pickett

JamesTheRogue wrote:
I know I could sell both of them on Ebay for at least $60, but I won't. They're my favorites. May they stay rare forever!

They won't. They have already announced they are working on getting these figures back into the hands of collectors that are looking for them in their Q&A's this month.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:01 pm 
willing to display nerd-rage meltdown for custom subnic

JuliusMarx wrote:
JamesTheRogue wrote:
I know I could sell both of them on Ebay for at least $60, but I won't. They're my favorites. May they stay rare forever!

They won't. They have already announced they are working on getting these figures back into the hands of collectors that are looking for them in their Q&A's this month.

Dan is absolutely correct. Here's a direct quote from Hasbro:

Hasbro wrote:
The good news? We’re already bringing back the “hard to find” figures from the past 2 years of Marvel Universe. The last waves of 2010 and the first waves of 2011 will feature many of the hard to find figures and variants such as Warpath, Phasing Vision, Black Widow and Jean Grey, Bullseye and Daredevil.

I don't fail, I just succeed at finding ways that don't work.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:06 pm 
Cold-cast

Oh no, please don't let that be true! :cry:

Well, I'm not really worried about it much for two reasons.

1. Hasbro can't even get the figures from current waves into the hands of collectors. I think they're going to focus on this first if they do anything.

2. Even if figures from that wave are rereleased, they'll just disappear as quickly and be as elusive as they were the first time unless Hasbro does something about point 1.

Also they say "Phasing Vision", they don't say "Vision". Also there's no mention of Sunfire. Let's just see how things play out. :)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:31 pm 

That's a really selfish (and pretty effed up) way to think. Why would you not want other collectors to find figures they're looking for? And you want others to help you out :roll:? Not so much.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:47 am 
Cold-cast

I do want other collectors to find the figures they're looking for.

I just want the figures to be rare and worth something when the collectors find them, so they don't just have another run-of-the-mill, common figure.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:36 am 
Still ahead of Mudd

JamesTheRogue wrote:
I do want other collectors to find the figures they're looking for.

I just want the figures to be rare and worth something when the collectors find them, so they don't just have another run-of-the-mill, common figure.

Every figure should be a run of the mill common figure-If every other collecter did find what they were looking for- everything would be run of the mill--- 8 months ago people were complaining how they couldnt find the cyborg 3 pack-and were willing to pay triple or more for it-now the thread is filled with how this is the new "worst pegwarmer of all time" -its the rarity factor that has killed more lines than anything else out there-- collectors get tired of it. if everything was readily available - all the scalping would stop- I collect toys because I like them-- not so I can say my collection is worth more than yours-- (which it usually is :wink: )

Its that mindset that causes the problems with all these lines today-- and all the companies have bought into that marketing strategy..

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:37 am 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

It's been beat to death but when companies can't count on the "kid" factor they will not go crazy with characters geared more toward collectors. From a business standpoint it's very smart. They end up with the "Cyborg" pegwarmers if they do.

I wish every time I walked into a store they were packed with every MU in the line but it just will never happen but I am glad they are going to release the older ones again.I have everything to date but have started to buy some MOC and it will be nice to get some of the rarer ones MOC.

"AFI is my home for JLU" Thomas Jefferson

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:22 am 
Cold-cast

If there were no rare figures, and you could walk into any store and see all the MU figures, I would have no interest in collecting them.

That's the fun of collecting to me, to chase down rare items and actually accomplish something. So when you have all the figures in a line, that actually means something because no one can get that without a significant amount of effort and money.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:44 am 

Everyone collects for different reasons, so I wont begrudge you for your intentions. I can only speak for myself. I don't give two sh!t$ about rarity. I collect what I like. Period.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:00 pm 
Resin

alcinde4 wrote:
Everyone collects for different reasons, so I wont begrudge you for your intentions. I can only speak for myself. I don't give two sh!t$ about rarity. I collect what I like. Period.

I agree. If someone is collecting for money/value, more power to them, but they should keep their complaints to themselves when the "rare" figures are re-released.

--kcb

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:04 pm 
Still ahead of Mudd

JamesTheRogue wrote:
actually accomplish something. .

Maybe when you get a little older you'll understand-- completing a toy collection really doesn't fall into that statement.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:10 pm 
Displays Backwards

alcinde4 wrote:

Me, too. I wish there was no rarity to deal with, so everybody could get what they want (within reason, I guess). I have some "rare" figures, but I don't get off on them, I just wish they would show up so other folks could find them (and I wish the ones I couldn't find would show up for me). I have holes in my JLU collection, big ass holes in my Cars collection (wow Mattel has done a crap job there). And I want my holes filled! (wait, that didn't come out right)

But I guess if I hid rare figures while wearing a backpack and racially antagonized hapless Wal-Mart employees, I might feel differently.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:14 pm 
Cold-cast

kcbstuff1 wrote:
alcinde4 wrote:

I agree. If someone is collecting for money/value, more power to them, but they should keep their complaints to themselves when the "rare" figures are re-released.

--kcb

I wasn't complaining, I was merely pointing out reasons why the figures are not going to be *rereleased*. I've seen pictures of the upcoming waves, the Vision in the picture I saw was a phased Vision, just as was stated in Hasbro's answer. Combine this with the fact that even rereleased figures are likely to be hard to get, and I don't think anyone is going to be finding regular Visions in stores ever again.

Black Widow will probably have blonde hair if they rerelease her, and Warpath will likely be red and black, not the X-Force costume.

And oh yeah BCYa, such a "hapless" Wal-Mart employee that berates me as I walk in and threatens me with the "policia" for wearing a backpack while a bunch of women with gigantic purses walk right past us. You weren't there, both that door greeter and the customer service rep were extremely rude to me. The customer service lady I handed my backpack to didn't say one word or acknowledge my presence and continued talking to a co-worker as she grabbed my backpack away and tossed it behind the counter.