Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:54 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Marvel Legends noob questions
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:36 pm 
my apartment smells of rich mahogany

So, until VERY recently, i have never been much of a fan of marvel comics. i've always been a dc fan, and also until very recently, i have managed to resist the temptation of collecting the dcuc figures, but the metal men and doom patrol figures, along with plastic man, kinda sucked me in. well, now i'm kinda wanting to grab an iron man and a she hulk figure to go along with them, and possibly a deadpool (those are the three characters i've really gotten into thusfar), and i'm wondering a few things about these figures.

first off, how does the sculpting compare? i know the 4h do dcuc, are there comparable sculptors working on the ml series?

also, is it called something else now? i know dcuc started out as dcsh, and then changed when they began to encompass more characters.

are they in the same scale? and do they look weird next to each other? like, does anybody have a picture of dcuc superman next to ml capt america, or something?

in you guys' opinion, which is the best iron man figure in the line so far? and which one is most like the current invincible iron man version (the salvador larocca one)?

and there's 2 she hulk figures, right? which of the 2 she hulk figures looks best? is that figure bigger, or just a scaled down 6 inch version?

lastly, how hard are those figures to get? is it something i could easily make trades for here on the board ort are these guys as hard to find and expensive on the secondary market as the dcuc figures tend to be?

thanks in advance for any help.

Post subject: Re: Marvel Legends noob questions
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:44 pm 
willing to display nerd-rage meltdown for custom subnic

The sculpting (in my opinion) is very comparable. BUT if you're one of those guys that doesn't like the extra articulation, you won't like ML.

It's still called Marvel Legends, although after these 2-packs that are out currently (TRU exclusive) they won't be back until 2012.

The scale is the same as DCUC. For comparison pics, there's this awesome thread in the Collection Coolness forum: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=15641&start=105
If you look back through the last 3 pages or so, you'll see Black Panther vs Wildcat, Batman vs Moon Knight etc. That'll give you a great grasp of the scale similarities.

My two personal favorites from this line are the classic Iron Man (Toybiz series one) and Heroes Reborn Iron Man (Hasbro series 6, Walmart Exclusive).

There are 2 She-hulk figures. One is a con exclusive, which I don't have and didn't want. The other is is Hasbro series 2, which I like a lot. I really don't know how one compares to the other.

The older (Toybiz) series figures are a little harder to get, and tend to be a little pricey depending on the figure. As far as getting them here on this board, it can be done, especially if you don't mind them loose. From my experience, those here who are willing to trade MOC Marvel Legends, want a mint for them. I've sold/traded a lot of ML stuff here for cost or less, but you can't expect everyone to do the same.

I hope that helps, and welcome to the fold :D.

I don't fail, I just succeed at finding ways that don't work.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:23 pm 

oh, i thought there was a shulkie in her jumpsuit and then one in a white dress and then the exclusive was one had the removable lawyer suit over the fantastic four outfit or something. i'll look into it. but thanks for the info, calwin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:25 pm 

ok, so, using that information and this new image search site i found called "google" i found out that the white dress shulkie is from hulk legends, and while i like everything about the ml s2 she hulk way better, those weird hip joints are bugging the crap out of me. still, i think i prefer the ml jumpsuit version to the happy meal hulk legends version.

as for the iron man figure, i think the one i like best is the one from the 2 pack with maria hill. the series 1 one looks pretty good in the gold variant, but i think the 2 pack one might be a little more me. one question: were there helmet on and helmet off variants or does it just come with a swappable stark head? cause if it's the swappable head & not 2 different figures, i think that's the one i ought to get.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:22 am 
Daniel Pickett

It was swappable heads for that 2-pack. You can still sometimes find that set at TRU.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:24 am 

oh, awesome. i'll check there. thanks, julius. here's one last quick question: are there iron man movie marvel legends in the same scale as the comic figures? i thought i saw one on ebay, or maybe the seller was just using marvel legends in the auction title to sell a movie figure.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:08 am 
Still ahead of Mudd

shishalzafrazz wrote:
ok, so, using that information and this new image search site i found called "google" i found out that the white dress shulkie is from hulk legends, and while i like everything about the ml s2 she hulk way better, those weird hip joints are bugging the crap out of me. still, i think i prefer the ml jumpsuit version to the happy meal hulk legends version.

The other deal with the Savage She Hulk version is that it is just a repaint of the Sheena (another SDCC exclusive) and is undersized for her character. The Lawyer version (with the FF costume underneath) is a larger figure-- but the face sculpt is off (badly- as in I think they forgot they were sculpting the regular hulk and then decided to add long hair :mrgreen: )

I will try and post comparison pics if I get a chance.)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:07 am 
Daniel Pickett

shishalzafrazz wrote:
oh, awesome. i'll check there. thanks, julius. here's one last quick question: are there iron man movie marvel legends in the same scale as the comic figures? i thought i saw one on ebay, or maybe the seller was just using marvel legends in the auction title to sell a movie figure.

Yes. There are 6" Iron Man 2 figures. They are exclusive to Walmart. So far there have been: Mark IV IM, Mark V IM, War Machine, and Hangover Tony which is the Mark IV with a Tony Stark head wearing sunglasses.

You can still find the Mark V in Walmarts and Hangover Tony just started showing up a few weeks back.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:30 am 

awesome! thanks for the help, guys!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:35 pm 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

The SDCC exclusive does have some issues, but it is the only version of Jen you can with the Fantastic Four Uniform. That makes it a keeper for me. :mrgreen:

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:42 pm 

I've never read anything with her in the FF, in fact, I've never read ANYTHING involving ff except Marvels. I do know that i would rather have had the jumpsuit version with the ponytail from the exclusive, but i guess you take what you can get. on a more frustrating note, i just checked my local tru and they only had blue versions of the iron man and deadpool 2 packs i wanted. the iron man stealth one also had a different chick than maria hill in there. and turquoise deadpool? pfbt. turquoise shows blood stains like you wouldnt believe. so unrealistic.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:00 pm 
An Insider

The recent 2-pack Iron Man is probably my favorite as well, though none of the ML Iron Mans are even close to perfect. I hope the new line in 2012 brings us a 6-inch version of the current armor...which will no doubt be several months out of date by that time.

shishalzafrazz wrote:
the iron man stealth one also had a different chick than maria hill in there.

Sharon Carter. She is to the Secret Avengers comic as Hill is to the regular Avengers comic.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:25 am 
Resin

Here's a few opinions on Marvel Legends.

Toy Biz did some great stuff, but I think Hasbro has done better. At least a few of the figures have had a consistent body design, and generally speaking, the paint work has been neater. There was some horribly sloppy stuff out of Toy Biz here and there.

The scale is generally not QUITE that of DCUC, but this depends on the figure, which is a gripe I have with Marvel Legends, both Toy Biz and Hasbro -- the scale is not always as consistent as it needs to be. I realize there have been a few oddballs in DCUC, but not to the degree that Marvel Legends has had.

Examples -- the HYDRA Soldier is a perfect fit scalewise with DCUC. Yet a fair number of figures are noticeably shorter than DCUC. Unworkably so, in my opinion.

I do NOT like the double-articulated elbows and knees that many figures have. This to me is just unnecessary on any action figure.

I think Hasbro's best figures in the line to date are She-Hulk, the HYDRA Soldier, the Skrull Soldier, and Hercules. And I do get a kick out of the fact that the line has even produced Howard the Duck!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:18 pm 
An Insider

Yeah, Marvel Legends scale is all over the place. Variations of Spider-Mans that are different sizes, massive Hydra agents, and a general shrinking of figures down the line. The best-looking version of the Thing (from the Ronan wave/2-pack) is just a hair over any normal figure, and looks like a child next to most Hulk toys.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:40 pm 
Excelsior!

Shellhead wrote:
The SDCC exclusive does have some issues, but it is the only version of Jen you can with the Fantastic Four Uniform. That makes it a keeper for me. :mrgreen:

I just swapped heads of the SDCC FF Jen with the regular version and now I have a great looking FF She-Hulk... whose blue FF uniform matches no other FF uniform :?

Getting the SDCC She-Hulk can be tough, but at Tuesday Morning, TJ Maxx and similar stores, you can still sometimes find the ML She-Hulk, in case anyone already has the FF She-Hulk but wants to swap heads cheaply.