Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:59 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Toy Fair 2011 - Marvel Universe
PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:50 am 
An Insider

I'll admit when I'm wrong: the FF set feels much less like an underhanded ploy after having seen it. With Sue in her modern costume, she obviously isn't meant to complete anyone's blue-and-white or blue-and-black FF sets. And with Reed in his modern costume as well, that's 3 out of 4 figures in this set actually worth getting. Not bad.

The Avengers set, however, feels like a pass. Gold-bucket Iron Man is the only one I'd even KINDA be interested in. We already have that Thor, I see no need for Hulk with his old Frankenstein face, and they completely cheaped out with Ant Man and the Wasp. A full-sized version of either one of them would have made the set a can't-miss.

And that's a new, shorter Wolverine in the X-Force set, right?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:20 am 
An Insider

Oh snap, I hadn't even seen the single carded stuff.

Scarlet Spider and Darkhawk make me happy in a way that only people who were geeky, friendless teenagers in the 90s can be happy. :)

Doc Strange, finally. Falcon, X-23, awesome. Skarr, whatever, glad they were able to reuse the tooling.

I just hope the Steve Rogers comes out while Steve's still wearing that suit in the comics. Unlike the comparatively poor timing of pretty much all the Dark Avenger figures.

That Namor looks good, I say reluctantly. I swear, once the Cap line gives us a new Red Skull, my Invaders SDCC set will be completely redundant. :)

Ultron and Doom again...really? Why? Gonna have to wait for some reviews for these two.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:52 pm 
PVC

Sean Whitmore wrote:

Ultron and Doom again...really? Why? Gonna have to wait for some reviews for these two.

Probably for people like me who didn't care for the character they were paired with in the two-packs.

Yes! Lots more cosmic characters. Hopefully they fix the costume error on Thanos.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:31 am 
Still ahead of Mudd

Personally I was a little disappointed with the lineups-- a little to much going back to the well for me-- and a little too soon to revisit Namor, Doom, Ulton, that X- Force Pack etc.. (although I will admit- at least they didnt flood us with IM, SM, Cap and Thor-- I think they may have learned their lesson and realize if you have an Iron Man line- he doesnt need to be in another line). Just not enough new characters to me-- especially with a bunch of main X-Men still not seeing the light of day...

The comic packs are the brightest spot - although I wish they would have gone with more of the 2 new figures format (that Capt. Britain one was the perfect chance to get me an Arcade figure..)-- I just hope they dont start messing that up with starting a whole line of SM team up comics- with a spidey in every pack..

But with Rocket Raccoon Being announced-- maybe they can start getting to the C and D listers that I want...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:25 am 
willing to display nerd-rage meltdown for custom subnic

I just went back and looked at marvelousnews.com again. I can't believe I missed the Quicksilver/Wonder Man and Power Man/Iron Fist comic packs :o :shock: :o :shock:. So getting those.

I don't fail, I just succeed at finding ways that don't work.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:28 pm 
An Insider

Quicksilver and Wonder Man don't immediately strike me as the basis for a two pack. What comic would they even use?

Ironically, either one of them would work perfectly in a 2-pack with Scarlet Witch.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:37 pm 
willing to display nerd-rage meltdown for custom subnic

Sean Whitmore wrote:
Quicksilver and Wonder Man don't immediately strike me as the basis for a two pack. What comic would they even use?

Ironically, either one of them would work perfectly in a 2-pack with Scarlet Witch.

Oddly enough they used West Coast Avengers. :?

I don't fail, I just succeed at finding ways that don't work.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:21 pm 
Shifts It Into Overdrive

Marvel Universe is easily going to be my most collected line of the year. There's something in there for fans of all eras. Myself, I'm going wild for Dr. Strange, (and variant) classic Power Man/Iron Fist, Silver Samurai, Taskmaster, 70's Captain Britain, (can't believe we're getting both versions) and more Avengers: Quicksilver, Wonder Man, (still wanting the Byrne Safari Jacket and Perez Retro costumes) updated Namor, and the founders set with a new, classic Thor! We still need a Perez Beast, classic Black Knight, Scarlet Witch, Hercules, Starfox, and damn it, Jack of Hearts! But there's greater hope now for him and guys like Nighthawk and Stingray.

The F3 set also looks good. Cap's line is giving us a definitive figure, plus U.S. Agent and Bucky Cap. Iron Man is being kept around, and the Thor movie line seems interesting. I would have loved some comic figures for Thor as this was the perfect time for 'em.

And then there's Marvel Legends! Man, it's going to be another expensive SDCC haul and someone here is going to get paid nicely to do the job. :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:07 pm 
Resin

I don't really read Marvel Comics anymore, since I don't like their extremely politically-based editorial direction of the past several years (which I disagree with in both practice and content), but I have no complaints whatsoever about the action figures. I just don't really collect them much since I don't read their books. I've picked up a few here and there that mostly remind me of the days before Marvel went the way it has with their stories.

As for the new merchandise shown at Toy Fair, GLADIATOR is a must-have for me, since I've always gotten a kick out of the Imperial Guard and the last Gladiator figure was longer ago than I care to think about, and I have to say that massive Sentinel figure is impressive.

I may be keeping an eye on the extended Iron Man line a bit, too.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:04 pm 
Displays Backwards

TrekkerGI wrote:
I don't really read Marvel Comics anymore, since I don't like their extremely politically-based editorial direction of the past several years (which I disagree with in both practice and content), but I have no complaints whatsoever about the action figures.

I don't read Marvel comics anymore, either, but it's because they jacked the prices up to $3.99, which I think is to damn high, not because I'm an angry anti-gay right winger.

But I do like the figures a lot as well. And I'm very glad that Hasbro actually re-releases some hard to find figures in a timely manner (ya hear that, Mattel?)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:06 am 
Still ahead of Mudd

BCYa wrote:
But I do like the figures a lot as well. And I'm very glad that Hasbro actually re-releases some hard to find figures in a timely manner (ya hear that, Mattel?)

And Id like to add to that- in the same original packaging with everything they originally included-- not some all star version where they leave out any accesories or BAF pieces...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:50 pm 
Joint Unfreezer

stewbacca wrote:
BCYa wrote:

And Id like to add to that- in the same original packaging with everything they originally included-- not some all star version where they leave out any accesories or BAF pieces...

I'm the same with Mattel. I got tired of DCD practices and same now with Mattel. I am strictly Marvel now, comics, action figures. I will go see the GL movie this summer but other than that, I'm through with Mattel which means until they lose or the DC license expires with Mattel, I'm through with DC Comics as well.

I'm still wondering why, Hasbro didn't do a comic line for Thor. I think they missed a great opportunity to keep the figures in stores for a whole year.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:06 pm 
5th Horseman

In all fairness to Hasbro they never said they wouldn't do any Comic Characters, they just said at the min there wasn't any in production, they are dealing with the Thor Movie Characters first.

I would love to see some Thor Comic Characters as well, Ulik and Executioner jump straight to mind.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:20 pm 
Shifts It Into Overdrive

GreenArrow wrote:
I would love to see some Thor Comic Characters as well, Ulik and Executioner jump straight to mind.

Those are excellent choices. I'd love comic versions of the Warriors Three, Odin, Balder, Heimdall, Tyr, Sif, and the various lead Asgardians. It would be like having a fantasy/sword & sorcery line of its own within the Thor superhero world.

There are great Midgard villains and allies to add in there, too: Grey Gargoyle, an Absorbing Man repaint/repack, Crusader, Scarlet Scarab, Beta Ray Bill, Thunderstrike, and many more.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:00 pm 
5th Horseman

I am going to have to google one of those characters you mention Lt Clutch, Scarlet Scarab not familiar with this one.

The others would be yes please, although I think I could live without the Grey Gargoyle and Absorbing Man - However the others yes please especially Beta Ray Bill.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next