Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:31 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Was there any mention of an Animated(EMH) Avengers line?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:40 am 
Resin

What the hell Hasbro? How can you miss out on an opportunity to expand the presence of Marvel Properties on Toy Shelves? I'm a little disappointed.... I was hoping to set up 4.25"/5 POA versions of Marvel's greatest heroes right next to my JLU/YJ display...

Post subject: Re: Was there any mention of an Animated(EMH) Avengers line?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:13 am 
willing to display nerd-rage meltdown for custom subnic

This. I really don't understand that at all. The show's doing really well. I thought it was a shoe in for a toy line.

I don't fail, I just succeed at finding ways that don't work.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:04 pm 
An Insider

I'll tell you what I could really go for: an Avengers EMH sub-line of Marvel Universe, with show-inspired figures that are compatible with the rest of the line. Basically what G.I. Joe is doing with their Renegades stuff.

I mean, as much as I love the show, the art design isn't really anything to write home about. Almost everyone is in the same costumes as their comic counterparts anyway. Design-wise, an MU Kang wouldn't look much different than an EMH Kang, so may as well just make an MU Kang, know what I mean?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:11 pm 

Sean Whitmore wrote:
I'll tell you what I could really go for: an Avengers EMH sub-line of Marvel Universe, with show-inspired figures that are compatible with the rest of the line. Basically what G.I. Joe is doing with their Renegades stuff.

I mean, as much as I love the show, the art design isn't really anything to write home about. And almost everyone is in the costumes as their comic counterparts anyway. Design-wise, an MU Kang wouldn't look much different than an EMH Kang, so may as well just make an MU Kang, know what I mean?

Interesting concept... They could use the cartoonish card art a la G.I. Joe Renegades/POC and do it in MU style. The only problem is that they'd find a way to give us more A-listers in there. If they could just do villains (Kang, Leader, Abomination) and ancillary heroes (Mockingbird, Wonder Man) then it would be fine by me.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:50 pm 
Wonderdog

I'm guessing they fear an Avenger's: EMH line would cannibalize the sales of MU. Probably the same reason they're not releasing G.I. Joe Renegades figures sculpted to look like the show designs.

Last edited by scottbernard on Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:36 am 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

I, for one, am glad they aren't doing a line.

I just don't understand the appeal of JLU type figures. They suck IMO. No articulation and they look goofy. Save the tooling dollars and plug them into MU (or the upcoming Legends) to make more cool looking figures.

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:35 am 
obsolete and uniquely stupid subnic

Shellhead wrote:
No articulation and they look goofy

No artic, sure, but look goofy? How so? There are lots of collectors that prefer figs with limited articulation, and the main reason is that articulation breaks up a nice looking sculpt in most cases. Lots of 6" collectors prefer DCD over DCUC for that same reason.

I'm not saying you have to like vanilla posed figures with limited articulation, or you have to like the JLU style, but I really don't see how they look "goofy". They look stylized like the art of the show, and you're a fan of the animated shows.

On the flip side, here's something that looks goofy aesthetically (shoulders, hips, etc.):
pic from http://www.mltimelines.net/index.html

I have lots of Marvel Legends and MU, but I'd love to see a Marvel line of clean, stylized sculpts a la JLU, or something new via the Avengers toon. One of the best lines ever might be SW Clone Wars in this sense. Those figs retain the stylized animated look, but they have a fair amount of articulation built in. I'd love to see that same approach taken on Marvel and DC figures.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:29 am 

Like I said in my opinion. I don't have a problem with that Daredevil figure. Perhaps the shoulders are a bit big, but otherwise it looks great to me.

I would much rather have that figure than ANY JLU, Spectacular Spider-man, Ben 10, or other animated style figure. But that's just me. If I want a beautiful sculpt of a super hero, I'll buy a statue or a bust (and I have bought many). But if I want an action figure, I want it to be articulated and be as "realistically" sculpted as possible. I don't want animated styles. I put up with PE because they were close to DCUC, just as I'll put up with the 6 inch YJ figures.

However, you are absolutely right about the current Clone Wars figures. You get the best of both worlds there. If we could have Avengers EMH figures like those, I'd probably pick some up.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:09 am 
The Last Word

Sean Whitmore wrote:
I mean, as much as I love the show, the art design isn't really anything to write home about. Almost everyone is in the same costumes as their comic counterparts anyway. Design-wise, an MU Kang wouldn't look much different than an EMH Kang, so may as well just make an MU Kang, know what I mean?
This. There's nothing wrong with the character designs, but there's nothing special about them, either. I don't see any point to something like this.

xrmc20 wrote:
On the flip side, here's something that looks goofy aesthetically (shoulders, hips, etc.)
The same could be said for almost everything from that line, though. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:45 pm 
Wonderdog

I'm guessing the Wolverine and the X-Men figures didn't do too well, either.

But ragging on JLU NOW of all times! Man, are you on the wrong messageboard! :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:02 am 
PVC

Derby wrote:
What the hell Hasbro? How can you miss out on an opportunity to expand the presence of Marvel Properties on Toy Shelves? I'm a little disappointed.... I was hoping to set up 4.25"/5 POA versions of Marvel's greatest heroes right next to my JLU/YJ display...

IDK does Hasbro and/or Marvel like getting owned by Mattel and DC? First they cancel Marvel Legends, put out overpriced teeny figures, and then waste an opportunity to release some quality animated style figures of The Avengers: EMH. Marvel's presence in the Toy shelves would definitley be expanded beyond peg clogging Iron Man 2 figures no one wants. (Seriously enough with the Iron Man crap!)

And yes it would be nice to display Earth's Mightiest Heroes next to JLU.
Shellhead wrote:
I just don't understand the appeal of JLU type figures. They suck IMO. No articulation and they look goofy. Save the tooling dollars and plug them into MU (or the upcoming Legends) to make more cool looking figures.

They look like their animated counterparts and they aren't teeny. Marvel Universe sucks IMO. They are too small and they're overpriced. The tooling dollars should be saved for Marvel Legends or a decent sized Avengers: EMH animated line.
scottbernard wrote:

It wouldn't surprise me, when I first saw them I thought they looked like s*** and costed WAY too much for such a tiny figure.
Sean Whitmore wrote:
I'll tell you what I could really go for: an Avengers EMH sub-line of Marvel Universe, with show-inspired figures that are compatible with the rest of the line.

Absolutley not! Then they would be crappy figures just like the crappy Wolverine and the X-Men line. 4.75 scale would be great scale for The Avengers EMH, even 6 inch scale.
Sean Whitmore wrote:
I mean, as much as I love the show, the art design isn't really anything to write home about. Almost everyone is in the same costumes as their comic counterparts anyway.

Almost every DC character on JLU had the same costume as their comic counterparts, yet we still got figures from them. What's wrong with doing the same for Avengers: EMH?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:51 am 

In defense of the Wolverine and the X-Men line, those figures pretty much looked identical to the show and they still didn't sell very well. Maybe Hasbro saw the same type of thing happening again. I don't know, I'm just spit balling here.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:37 am 
active in the community

I'm a fan of the animated style. Starting from the Batman Animated series and moving to the JLU. BUT, somewhere along the way the plastic got weaker and the articulation (Limited I know and I like it that way) got worse. Still, in a static pose, I like the look.

I think the Wolverine line suffered from the Toybiz 90's over exagerated poses. Again, I still picked up Forge because he looked great.

I like the DC Infinite heroes line. Yes it is a bit sloppy at times, but. Like everything else I collect, I keep an eye for cross population. Robin from Teen Titans and Brainiac from the McDonalds Legion of Superheroes toys stand along side Batman and the rest of the JLU.

I'd buy the EMH figures done either way. Animated like the Wolverine and the X-men figures or as an off-shoot of the Marvel Universe figures like they did with the movie figures. But I'd lean more towards the animated style. It is a cartoon afterall.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:20 am 

scottbernard wrote:

But ragging on JLU NOW of all times! Man, are you on the wrong messageboard! :roll:

Where have you been? My distaste of the JLU line is no secret. Heck, probably one of my first posts was about how much I don't like it! :lol:

Fortunately, in a couple years, the JLU lovefest will die down a bit and DCUC (not to mention Hasbro) will get a bigger share of the limelight! :wink:

Re Madbomber: Have you looked at a an action figure aisle lately? Hasbro products are at least 2/3's of it. If anything, Hasbro's the pitcher and Mattel's the catcher.

And if you think MU is too expensive, wait until you're paying 20 bucks a pop for new Marvel Legends. :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:39 am 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

MadBomber wrote:
IDK does Hasbro and/or Marvel like getting owned by Mattel and DC?

I think it is clearly the other way around.

Hasbro is putting all of it's efforts where it should into the Thor and Captain America movies and I'm sure those are their 2 big investments right now to make millions. I'd like to see these animated versions too but MU is fine for me with Marvel for sure. That line just keeps getting better and better.

"AFI is my home for JLU" Thomas Jefferson